Would you rather cruise for one week in a suite or two weeks in normal cabin?

George C

On 7/28/2021 at 3:56 PM, K32682 said:

There are also places like French Polynesia and Alaska where flying to one place means you miss out on the rest of it.

Flying to one place just about anywhere means you will miss the rest of it.   Just sayin.   

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 12:06 PM, George C said:

We love suites, our first suite was a free upgrade but now we are hooked , love the perks, suite restaurant etc . I pretty sure we are in the minority. 

We have never been in a suite nor have we desired to ever book one .We are very happy in an OV cabin.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 7:10 AM, Joebucks said:

That's pretty crazy. Yet, many people will fight to the death on everything that is "included" while neglecting the cost. I could buy almost anything out of pocket that I'd get at Haven, perhaps even choices I preferred more, at far less than half of the cost. Same with the suite too. What am I missing? A private pool or bigger room? A feeling that I'm not "nickle and dimed?" That doesn't have thousands in value to me. Certainly not at the expense of more travel, and more memories. The obsession over packages and bundles almost always results in higher costs. 

There's a common misconception that many of us not in the suites are because we can't afford it. When in reality, many of us in a less expensive room can afford it easier than some of the people in the suites. I'd rather do more travel or invest the money vs "splurging" on things that add little to my memories.

I always chuckle at the class discussions. What better way to take a stand against ships with classes and extra amenities at a cost than to choose a different class of ship that has less amenities. Or to pay 3x more to get everything you would have never wanted in the first place. The dislike for classes will never go away and certainly expands far beyond cruising. Some of us have learned to live past what other have, "what is fair", "why don't I have access to everything" etc and more at what makes sense for me.

Agenda .... 

Oh Well Gna Post Them Anyway GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

14 hours ago, matamanoa said:

I'd rather have two weeks in a "normal" cabin than one week in a suite.  I don't spend much time in whatever cabin I'm in and so would like the extra time at sea.

We don't spend lots of time in our cabin either but we spend time in the suite lounge, suite restaurant and suite sundeck.

We also prefer to spend as little time as possible in a line to get on or off the ship so a suite is good to have.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 9:39 AM, SelectSys said:

For example, I want to take the cruise that goes to Marquesas where air travel simply doesn't exist.

When I travelled to FP there were airports and flights to four islands in the Marquesas, Nuku Hiva, Hiva Oa, Ua Huka and Ua Poa. And there was a what you might call a once a week ferry service to Fatu Hiva (a guy had boat he would run once week between Hanavave and Atuona, IIRC it was about a 12hr ride). Tahuata you had to hire someone to get you there by boat. The problem I found was flights between the islands were too few that it made it difficult to co-ordinate them so a cruise turned out to be an easier option. But flights do exist and they did use to have Marquesas flight pass that gave a significant discount.

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

I would take 2 weeks over 1 week. I'm a bit of an outlier when it comes to cruising, if you told me I could have super cheap cruise in a room the size of a closet I would happily take that😀. My last cruise I tried to get a dormitory room but they were booked out. The cruises I do because of their destinations are generally pretty expensive so anywhere I can save money to do more cruises I will always take. A suite will never give me the same joy I get from other experiences so to me it is not worth paying for. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

21 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

When I travelled to FP there were airports and flights to four islands in the Marquesas, Nuku Hiva, Hiva Oa, Ua Huka and Ua Poa.

Yes, I was reminded by another of this and I went back and looked at all of the locations served by Air Tahiti.  It's a pretty impressive network which makes sense given the island nature of FP.

22 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I found was flights between the islands were too few that it made it difficult to co-ordinate them so a cruise turned out to be an easier option.

Makes sense.  Cruising is the simplest option for sure from a logistical perspective.  I have to believe that most or all of these flights run at a loss and considered an essential service for citizens - even at these reduced frequencies.

29 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

A suite will never give me the same joy I get from other experiences so to me it is not worth paying for. 

I agree with this perspective.  I guess for some, the suite is the experience.  Maybe this is the case for those repeating the same cruise  itinerary over and over.

For me, I will not likely book a suite until I have more money than I can possibly use in creating other travel experiences - as long as my basic needs for comfort are achieved.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Makes sense.  Cruising is the simplest option for sure from a logistical perspective.  I have to believe that most or all of these flights run at a loss and considered an essential service for citizens - even at these reduced frequencies.

From what I was told Air Tahiti definitely runs at a loss and if you are a citizen they give you extra discounts but their service is excellent and they have one of the best records for reliability. And the inter Island flights are hassle free. We would arrive 30 minutes before our flight and about 10 minutes after disembarking we had our luggage and was looking for our rental car. Only one island was a bit more hassle because the airport was on a motu so you had to wait for a boat. For us the difficulty in scheduling Marquesas flights was really hampered by the flight schedules of the rest of our trip. We just couldn't fit them all together in the time frame we had plus two Marquesas islands don't even have airports adding another logistical complication. I did love our cruise and our island hopping, they were different but worthwhile experiences, it is certainly not true you only need one day on the islands, we always found something to do and experience but if you only get one day with the right cruise you can experience a lot so you can definitely find what will work for you 🤗

We normally travel on a balcony but I would take the 2 weeks in a lower cabin because

1) once you’re on the ship, no one is better than the other when it comes to treatment by the staff whether you’re in a luxury suite or an inside cabin

2) I love how dark it gets on an inside cabin.  Great for a Deep sleep

16 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Air Tahiti... but their service is excellent and they have one of the best records for reliability. And the inter Island flights are hassle free.

I have flown them on several occasions and my experience matches yours.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

We normally travel on a balcony but I would take the 2 weeks in a lower cabin because

1) once you’re on the ship, no one is better than the other when it comes to treatment by the staff whether you’re in a luxury suite or an inside cabin

As for #1 apparently you have never booked a penthouse suite l service is nothing like a normal balcony, but of course you could have booked about 6 weeks there for cost of one week in penthouse.

17 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

As others have said.. there is a difference but it would depend on the cruise line...    We have found we have received better service....

When it comes to the point   no one is better than the other  yes you are correct..

Also on the Dark thing.... personal choice.. I know some who must sleep in a totally black room...

Not our scene, like a light room thank you...

Cheers Don