Would you rather cruise for one week in a suite or two weeks in normal cabin?

George C

We value two week cruises.  One week and it seems we are over the hump just too soon.  For that reason, I think we would go for the "normal" cabin and two weeks.  

But (there is always a "but" haha), we have never stayed in a suite.  So, who knows, if we ever do get that upgrade, it might change our minds. 

Hi Cynthia😃 in total 100% agreement with you. 2 weeks wins over 1 every day of the week.

Many of us cannot afford suites or even if it is feasible, don't feel the need to spend whatever extra it does cost to sail in a suite. 

Different strokes for different folks.🙂

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

We love suites, our first suite was a free upgrade but now we are hooked , love the perks, suite restaurant etc . I pretty sure we are in the minority. 

I think it really depends on the cruise line since there are several that give pretty much the same perks to all cabin levels.

Even then, we see little value/utility in anything larger than a balcony cabin. We’re also yacht sailors. So, a balcony cabin is plenty big for our needs.

As for 1 or 2 weeks, both are too short for our tastes. We’re retired with no need to get back to work after vacationing. Our usual cruise would be 3-5 weeks (in a balcony cabin) with different start/end ports that are interesting enough to warrant additional land stay at both ends of the cruise. (With the current cost of intercontinental airfare -particularly bizclass - getting the most “bang for your buck” is essential.)

• Like 1

I could care less about Suites. As a solo, I’ve sailed 30+ days in an interior, and I am perfectly happy. I know some never hesitate to talk about their “suite”, even if the thread has nothing to do about cabins. If that’s what people want, that’s fine. It’s your money. Doesn’t make them more important than anyone else.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 4

2 weeks for me.  I also don't need to stay in super elegant hotels as well for the same reason. 

Remember that after a certain level of quality, the incremental cost of adding more quality exceeds the resultant benefit to the person (shown as the first vertical dashed line on the chart below.)

image.png.992fb90aad76a4109bfcd50e57bd0c91.png

The key is to find your spot on the curve that matches your preferences and budget.  

• Like 1

On our last cruise, when only 8 pax remained aboard, we were all given comp fwd suites, with the same cabin stewards we enjoyed the previous 3 months.

As I knew in advance, it is the worst location for the most expensive cabins, with noise from the anchor machinery at 03:30 as we prepared to enter Suez, noise/vibration from the bow thrusters on docking and the additional movement, due to distance from the longitudinal centre.

We consider the cabin as our bedroom and the public spaces/outer decks as the living spaces, so don't require about 1,000 sq feet.

Except for pre-cruise reservations, our preferred cruise line provides minimal, if any, perks to being in a suite. Once aboard, everyone is treated as if they were in the Owner's Cabin.

Therefore, while we accepted the Suite once, unless they locate suites on lower decks & midships, they couldn't even pay DW to suffer in a Suite on our next World Cruise. Happy wife = happy life, so we are happy to book a lower deck, midships, regular balcony cabin.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Once aboard, everyone is treated as if they were in the Owner's Cabin.

That isn’t necessarily true , definitely wasn’t on our penthouse suite , we had the best seating in suite restaurant etc , totally agree do not need over 1000 sq ft , but did like the two bathrooms.

19 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I know some never hesitate to talk about their “suite”, even if the thread has nothing to do about cabins. 

Even when the thread has nothing to do about cabins it may be relevant to talk about suites. Booking a suite is not only about the room. We should be perfectly happy in a standard balcony cabin if we should get all the suiteperks because we don't book a suite to get a better room. 

Edited by sverigecruiser
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Even when the thread has nothing to do about cabins it may be relevant to talk about suites. Booking a suite is not only about the room. We should be perfectly happy in a standard balcony cabin if we should get all the suiteperks because we don't book a suite to get a better room. 

Agree perks with the suite means as much as the suite itself 

We've booked suites and weren't that impressed.  Glad we tried it as now we know that for us, a suite isn't a big deal.  We'd take it as a free upgrade but we aren't interested in paying extra for it.

• Like 3

Bucking the trend and voting for the suite. I’m not embarrassed to say I like the perks very much. 

We mostly book TA’s and spend lots of time in the cabin. Or have family and the suite is great for meeting up.

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

That isn’t necessarily true , definitely wasn’t on our penthouse suite , we had the best seating in suite restaurant etc , totally agree do not need over 1000 sq ft , but did like the two bathrooms.

Had you copied the entire paragraph, you will have noted it was in reference to our preferred cruise line, where suite pax have no separate dining rooms, lounges, pools, hot tubs, or even special seating.

We prefer ships that are a single class, as every pax, regardless of whether in the most expensive or cheapest cabin is treated equally and have equal access to every public space and the open decks. 

• Like 3

Providing that "normal cabin" is a balcony, I would go with the 2 week cruise. Suites, and their perks have no interest for us. We are quite content with the amenities offered to us lower classes in the areas outside the suite enclaves.

• Like 1

The question leaves too many questions unanswered.  DW and would say that our answer depends on the ship, cruise line, and itinerary.  Suites (particularly the lower category suits) are not always such a great deal on some of the mass market lines.  So, for example, if on HAL we had to make a choice between two weeks in a normal verandah cabin or one week in a Signature Suite we would quickly pick the 2 week option.  But if we were on MSC and had a choice between two weeks in a regular balcony cabin or one week a Yacht Club Suite we would choose the Yacht Club.  On the luxury lines (i.e. Seabourn, Silverseas, etc) we would be happy with the lowest cost cabin and maximum time.

Hank

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

We prefer ships that are a single class, as every pax, regardless of whether in the most expensive or cheapest cabin is treated equally and have equal access to every public space and the open decks.

I am SO "on the same page" with this. I actively avoid lines that have gone in the opposite direction.

• Like 2