The Daily for Saturday August 07, 2021

richwmn

28 minutes ago, Kay S said:

This group is so informative.  We are primarily Princess cruisers, but looking forward eagerly to our second HAL cruise in November.  Our first was just before the big shutdown, and we had one cancelled for this past spring.  It turns out that HAL suits us very well.  Princess has been drifting more and more toward a mega-cruise party, and we were missing many of the comforts of traditional cruising.  

Welcome to the Daily!   We have built a great community here and we've supported each other during times of trial and celebrated the joyous occasions.  We do have a Garden Club and Garden Club cheerleaders for people with brown or black thumbs.  We love to share recipes and ideas here.  Stick around and join in!

• Like 16

@AncientWanderer Thank you for the compliment.  I do enjoy cooking and I like to tweak recipes to fit my tastes.  A good example is yesterdays catfish recipe.  You can really use any mild white fish for that one.  Substitute away!   

@Horizon chaser 1957 Thank goodness you didn't fall for the scam.  My elderly father got a call one day from someone who claimed to be a grandson.  The grandson said he was stranded and needed money to get home.  Dad asked him where Evelyn was and he said at work.  Umm, no.  Evelyn was an infant.  

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you got to watch the graduation virtually.  It isn't as good as being there, but you did the caring thing in protecting your family.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

It’s letting me like posts again. Just no posting pictures.🤷🏼‍♀️

When I went to post a picture today (PC) I was surprised to see the + sign was gone, which is how I usually would add a picture to a post, once I'd uploaded them. Today I had to put the curser down where the name of the picture is, and then insert magically appears! It's invisible if the cursor isn't in the right place.

How terrible on that scam call!

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  The grass is mowed and trimmed, the iris trimmed and the weeds at the back of our lot on the right-of-way are trimmed.  This morning was a nice time to be outside since it was partly cloudy and we had a good south breeze with the temperatures not too bad for August  Since we never know what the weather in August will be like, I took advantage of the nice day to tackle somethings I'd put off doing.

@rafinmd  So glad you found a way to escape CC jail.

@grapau27  Graham, I hope your team won.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I glad you got to see your DGS walk even if it was not in person.  You made a very hard but wise decision.  Glad you both are feeling well.

@smitty34877  Terry, actually swamp cooler is a southern/Texas/western nickname for an evaporative cooler, and it's easier to say. 😁  They work well in dry climates, and we had three in our house when I was growniing up.

@aliaschief and @bobpatj  Bon Vogage and have a great cruise.

@Kay S  Welcome to the Daily, the friendliest place on CC.  We are also Princess cruisers, but are not fond of their larger ships.  Our favorite is the Coral P.

@Sharon in AZ  Wow, on your July rain.  Hope they got some in Quartzsite.

@Horizon chaser 1957 What a scary phone call, and I'm glad you figured out that it was a scam. It is horrible that people would scare others just to get money.   It would be interesting and fun what I could do with a call like that as we don't have grand children.  If I was quick enough, I could really string them along.  Sorry your are having problems posting and liking posts.  There are two quick solutions to the liking problem and probably will work on the posting problem.  The entailed one is to clear the browsing history.  The quick one that works for me is to click on the # of posts icon and then go back to the post.   I have these problems on my tablet and iPad but not on the computer.  🤞

@dfish  Debbie, your father was smart to catch the caller in a lie.

@JazzyV Vanessa, I just click on the picture, and so far, that works for me.

@crazyforcats  Jake, glad that you and DH had a great cruise, and have a safe trip home.

I found four pictures from Glacier Bay that are different from all the great pictures already posted.

These were from our two visits to Glacier Bay in 2010 on b2b 14 day cruises on Amsterdam, and we were lucky enough to have good weather both days.

P1000822.thumb.JPG.c234935bf825bacc061aa546193aa15e.JPG

P1010286.thumb.JPG.9ddae46b082c26891ef85dccbdcadf8a.JPG

Our last visit to Glacier Bay was in 2018 on Coral Princess, and the weather was less than stellar.  However, as we sailed into the bay, Eurodam was ending her call there.

DSC04181.thumb.JPG.bfcb8e7fc593b31ddda0ca6c9efc0972.JPG

DSC04183.thumb.JPG.aefc0e77646a85f17234b5814bf8728c.JPG

We had an unvacinnated state representative who came down with Covid.  From his hospital bed, he said he would not do anything differently and would still not get the vaccine.  These statements were shortly before he died.  So please, with the cases rising due to the Delta variant, please be careful, weat your masks 😷 and take all the other precautions. 

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon.  The grass is mowed and trimmed, the iris trimmed and the weeds at the back of our lot on the right-of-way are trimmed.  This morning was a nice time to be outside since it was partly cloudy and we had a good south breeze with the temperatures not too bad for August  Since we never know what the weather in August will be like, I took advantage of the nice day to tackle somethings I'd put off doing.

@rafinmd  So glad you found a way to escape CC jail.

@grapau27  Graham, I hope your team won.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I glad you got to see your DGS walk even if it was not in person.  You made a very hard but wise decision.  Glad you both are feeling well.

@smitty34877  Terry, actually swamp cooler is a southern/Texas/western nickname for an evaporative cooler, and it's easier to say. 😁  They work well in dry climates, and we had three in our house when I was growniing up.

@aliaschief and @bobpatj  Bon Vogage and have a great cruise.

@Kay S  Welcome to the Daily, the friendliest place on CC.  We are also Princess cruisers, but are not fond of their larger ships.  Our favorite is the Coral P.

@Sharon in AZ  Wow, on your July rain.  Hope they got some in Quartzsite.

@Horizon chaser 1957 What a scary phone call, and I'm glad you figured out that it was a scam. It is horrible that people would scare others just to get money.   It would be interesting and fun what I could do with a call like that as we don't have grand children.  If I was quick enough, I could really string them along.  Sorry your are having problems posting and liking posts.  There are two quick solutions to the liking problem and probably will work on the posting problem.  The entailed one is to clear the browsing history.  The quick one that works for me is to click on the # of posts icon and then go back to the post.   I have these problems on my tablet and iPad but not on the computer.  🤞

@dfish  Debbie, your father was smart to catch the caller in a lie.

@JazzyV Vanessa, I just click on the picture, and so far, that works for me.

@crazyforcats  Jake, glad that you and DH had a great cruise, and have a safe trip home.

I found four pictures from Glacier Bay that are different from all the great pictures already posted.

These were from our two visits to Glacier Bay in 2010 on b2b 14 day cruises on Amsterdam, and we were lucky enough to have good weather both days.

P1000822.thumb.JPG.c234935bf825bacc061aa546193aa15e.JPG

P1010286.thumb.JPG.9ddae46b082c26891ef85dccbdcadf8a.JPG

Our last visit to Glacier Bay was in 2018 on Coral Princess, and the weather was less than stellar.  However, as we sailed into the bay, Eurodam was ending her call there.

DSC04181.thumb.JPG.bfcb8e7fc593b31ddda0ca6c9efc0972.JPG

DSC04183.thumb.JPG.aefc0e77646a85f17234b5814bf8728c.JPG

We had an unvacinnated state representative who came down with Covid.  From his hospital bed, he said he would not do anything differently and would still not get the vaccine.  These statements were shortly before he died.  So please, with the cases rising due to the Delta variant, please be careful, weat your masks 😷 and take all the other precautions. 

Lenda

We won 2-1 thank you.

Graham.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

This group is so informative.  We are primarily Princess cruisers, but looking forward eagerly to our second HAL cruise in November.  Our first was just before the big shutdown, and we had one cancelled for this past spring.  It turns out that HAL suits us very well.  Princess has been drifting more and more toward a mega-cruise party, and we were missing many of the comforts of traditional cruising.  

Hi Kay.

A big welcome from me too.

This is an extremely friendly thread with lots of information, photos and humour.

Our last cruise was a 15 night Hawaiian cruise on Grand Princess November/December 2019 from San Francisco.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 14

Been a busy little holly homemaker here (and no I’m not really).

Pickling cukes are available so guess what I have been doing?  Nothing like the sound of seals popping to reward your work 😉 

Welcome to the Daily @Kay S  Stay around - we don’t bite and are a pretty friendly bunch.

@bennybearloved the pics of the clown history and knowing your own history too.

@Horizon chaser 1957what an absolutely cruel scam.  I’m glad you saw through it.  👍 

best go check on the pickles.  Hopefully I have the energy to do the jam tonight.  It took forever to find mason jars for this year’s batch.  Forget lids.  I’d have to drive an hour away to find them.  Scary.

• Like 19

Good Afternoon, getting through security was very long.  Never would I have thought Boston would be better but it is.  It took us over 90 minutes to get through security.  A few people in line missed their flights.

I don’t remember who on CC recommended Seattle Express for transportation but I do want to thank them.  It was very easy to book online.  They showed up at the hotel and today at the ship on time.  Couldn’t have asked for better service.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

Nothing like the sound of seals popping to reward your work 😉 

I love that sound!  I probably won't be doing any canning this summer, other than some pickled beets maybe.  We're still eating the applesauce, green beans, pears and peaches from last year. What kind of jam will you make?

@Kay Swelcome to the Daily!

@Horizon chaser 1957so glad you didn't fall for that scam.  Those scams are getting worse all the time.

• Like 13

🙄The grandma scam from the "so-called grandson" has been going around for ages!

No more land lines here and only answering to people on the "contact list" nowadays.  Additionally, there's a feature to flag calls on cell phones that let you know if it's "potential" spam. Numbers can also be blocked.🙃

🤪 Remember the prank phone calls (in the 'old days') about " Is your refrigerator running?"😁

Katie

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon, getting through security was very long.  Never would I have thought Boston would be better but it is.  It took us over 90 minutes to get through security.  A few people in line missed their flights.

I don’t remember who on CC recommended Seattle Express for transportation but I do want to thank them.  It was very easy to book online.  They showed up at the hotel and today at the ship on time.  Couldn’t have asked for better service.

Wow on security 😱 

Nice to hear Seattle Express worked for you well 👍 

Welcome home!

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I love that sound!  I probably won't be doing any canning this summer, other than some pickled beets maybe.  We're still eating the applesauce, green beans, pears and peaches from last year. What kind of jam will you make

I thought I made enough pickles to last us 3 years last year.  They were gone.  I did 10 jars and not sure if I did 10 or 8 last year.

DH wants some strawberry jam so he’ll get that.  Some “canned” and some freezer.  And I have a blueberry recipe he loves where you add raspberries or strawberries.  It’s a freezer jam recipe but holds well.  The freezer is nearly empty of jam 😉 

And my market had wild blueberries today.  So some in jam, some frozen, for later.  They freeze well.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good afternoon, all, and welcome @Kay S

IMG_5829.thumb.JPG.bbfab19ba1135abaa35398bbfa9ac199.JPG

Thanks everyone for the welcome!  These petunias are what I tell mine they should aspire to, but in blazing hot (more than usual) southern California, they will not cooperate.  

• Like 14

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

ALOHA !!!!

I have been away for over 2 months and I am finally back!

So much catching up and so much tragedy on our wonderful CC family!!!

A lot of you might not know me but I love my CC family and have been away!

@rafinmd I see you had me on my wilderness adventure! Roy I so love you!! 
Thank you! It was wonderful and centered me. Loved the time away from all. We had a lot of excitement trying to get around Mt.!Whitney with our horses and pack mules. A little scary but fun!!

We did some up grading at our home in Mammoth and I have a small studio for painting!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

My sweet sisters @Seasick Sailor

and dear @cat shepard

Love you guys!!

Sorry for not getting back to you Joy I really wanted to recharge and knew I would be back to my family here!

Ann so glad you are doing well and so sorry about your knee! Everyone it would take me forever to tell each and everyone of you how happy I am to be back for now!

We are not home. We flew back to Maui ya week ago 🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Now even with us having a home in Maui we took a rapid antigen test before we flew. I have been painting in Mammoth and finished a painting I had here!!

Joy and Ann would love to have us have a drink at Hula bar and Grille 👍

Shawn is doing well our daughter

and little Paisley our grand puppy!

will be back in September!! Sorry to hear about the horrific accident with the plane crash and our beloved passengers on it. My heart goes out to them!

Here is a picture last night from our backyard

image.thumb.png.e6d055f4471923035acbcfb2c7d94fac.png

🌺Mahalo and I will chime in tomorrow!

have a great day

Denise😊

• Like 24

23 minutes ago, kazu said:

I thought I made enough pickles to last us 3 years last year.  They were gone.  I did 10 jars and not sure if I did 10 or 8 last year.

DH wants some strawberry jam so he’ll get that.  Some “canned” and some freezer.  And I have a blueberry recipe he loves where you add raspberries or strawberries.  It’s a freezer jam recipe but holds well.  The freezer is nearly empty of jam 😉 

And my market had wild blueberries today.  So some in jam, some frozen, for later.  They freeze well.

Do you shIp to the US??

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

34 minutes ago, garlictown said:

🙄The grandma scam from the "so-called grandson" has been going around for ages!

No more land lines here and only answering to people on the "contact list" nowadays.  Additionally, there's a feature to flag calls on cell phones that let you know if it's "potential" spam. Numbers can also be blocked.🙃

🤪 Remember the prank phone calls (in the 'old days') about " Is your refrigerator running?"😁

Katie

Oh, my gosh, we actually made those crank calls--do you have Prince Albert in a can?  Our folks would have been upset if they would have found out. . .thank goodness for no *69 or caller ID!

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

ALOHA !!!!

I have been away for over 2 months and I am finally back!

So much catching up and so much tragedy on our wonderful CC family!!!

A lot of you might not know me but I love my CC family and have been away!

@rafinmd I see you had me on my wilderness adventure! Roy I so love you!! 
Thank you! It was wonderful and centered me. Loved the time away from all. We had a lot of excitement trying to get around Mt.!Whitney with our horses and pack mules. A little scary but fun!!

We did some up grading at our home in Mammoth and I have a small studio for painting!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

My sweet sisters @Seasick Sailor

and dear @cat shepard

Love you guys!!

Sorry for not getting back to you Joy I really wanted to recharge and knew I would be back to my family here!

Ann so glad you are doing well and so sorry about your knee! Everyone it would take me forever to tell each and everyone of you how happy I am to be back for now!

We are not home. We flew back to Maui ya week ago 🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Now even with us having a home in Maui we took a rapid antigen test before we flew. I have been painting in Mammoth and finished a painting I had here!!

Joy and Ann would love to have us have a drink at Hula bar and Grille 👍

Shawn is doing well our daughter

and little Paisley our grand puppy!

will be back in September!! Sorry to hear about the horrific accident with the plane crash and our beloved passengers on it. My heart goes out to them!

Here is a picture last night from our backyard

image.thumb.png.e6d055f4471923035acbcfb2c7d94fac.png

🌺Mahalo and I will chime in tomorrow!

have a great day

Denise😊

Denise!! I'm so happy to hear from you! I am a worrier you know. I had thoughts of you falling off your horse or freezing to death in the mountains. Falling into a crevice, eaten by bears or struck by a 20 foot rattlesnake. 

Have an awesome time with David. (Aloha David) we booked July 4th thru 30th at Westin Kaanapali for next year. Hoping you will be at the Barefoot Bar.. Love you sweet sister!

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Denise!! I'm so happy to hear from you! I am a worrier you know. I had thoughts of you falling off your horse or freezing to death in the mountains. Falling into a crevice, eaten by bears or struck by a 20 foot rattlesnake. 

Have an awesome time with David. (Aloha David) we booked July 4th thru 30th at Westin Kaanapali for next year. Hoping you will be at the Barefoot Bar.. Love you sweet sister!

🌺Love you sis!!! I am so sorry for not responding I did not mean too. I felt it was time for me time. I gave so much of myself with the vaccines and believe it or not even helped out at my friends dental office while he was away and did a lot of dentistry!! I was ready to get away! Hope Elvis is having a good time and you and Allen are doing well! This was a good move for both of you!

🌺image.png.428ce0de295e291392b330cdb26fabc7.png

• Like 13

Since this is campgire day, DH found some pictures of one of the group campfires we had in the desert outside Quartzsite.  Many were when everyone was spending the winter dry camping (no-hookups) in the desert.  

This campfire was one of the last ones we had and was celebrating a birthday in 2002.   As your can see, we had a large group and a great time.

P3150107.thumb.JPG.46bf97e0b37a641b6f900055e952ac4d.JPG

P3150108.thumb.JPG.e5c8f0a780670c4149eeed7e33141e8b.JPG

P3150114.thumb.JPG.1b8c5391c2fe123d15966e3395a7e38d.JPG

I can hear some asking where we got that much wood in the desert.  We would go over to Blythe, CA, and get scrap wood from the pallet company.

This is the sunset that night.

P3150113.thumb.JPG.e8a193ffb288b1640eb7393e44fff5ce.JPG

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

VERY late to the party today! But after 1-1/2 years, I finally went back to our favorite winery for a wine club picukp, and of course I had to do a tasting of their options to see what I had missed. And one more glass, to go with a pizza (1/2 for lunch & I'll finish the rest tonite.) All-in-all, a nice afternoon.

Thanks to everyone who posted here today - always a friendly, safe spot!

I love campfires -- I'm thinking s'mores and Girl Scout campfire stew. But I never figured out why I was always in the direction of the smoke, no matter where I sat! LOL!

• Like 17