NEW CDC CRUISE GUIDELINES /SENIORS WIYH UNDER LYING MEDICAL CONDITIONS

mcrcruiser

Hi Dian,  my DH is also on an oxygen concentrator. I did see the news about it extending until the end of the year.  We also have a Hawaiian cruise scheduled but not leaving until the end of March 2022.  However our final payment is due in the middle of December; I won't be making it unless I can get something in writing saying that those with oxygen can sail in 2022.  I'll be super disappointed if we can't go but that's life.  He's more important to me than any cruise.

• Like 1

Excellent thread. 

About 6 months ago we looked at all the data and projections and decided that in 2022 we would restart cruising consistent with cruise line protocols and CDC guidelines.   As we are in our late 70s (spouse will be 80 by 2022) and we "missed" several good cruising itineraries since March last year and shut out this year, we will recommence with a transatlantic in March 2022.  

Everybody has some form of underlying condition.  The best we can hope for is follow CDC guidance, mask, vaccinate (including booster) and follow protocols.  If everyone on the ships does this the cruise will be safe and enjoyable.  Likely much safer than mingling with people (supermarkets, etc) from our region here in west-central Florida.  

Following the transatlantic we will Chunnel to Amsterdam and follow local country guidance and protocols.  Many locales and businesses are currently requiring presentation of the CDC vaccination card or similar for entry.  A very good thing.  Masks as well.  We are experienced international travelers and have lived overseas so I do trust the CDC and other countries' equivalent to keep us has safe as possible.  The real issue is to to follow the guidance and not presume you know better than local health authorities.  Do that, use common sense, and travel will be fun again.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

Nope, I just filled out the questionnaire on line and no questions asked inside the pharmacy. Only one question online asked if you are immunosuppressed and as per post #15 everyone qualifies!

Which pharmacy has that system online ?

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I was under the impression that as of now, only those with compromised immune systems are authorized to get a booster shot.  Did something change to include any underlying conditions?

Regarding booster shots, this is correct! Pending approval, most people, including seniors and those with chronic health conditions, only become eligible for the booster shot starting next month.

Straight from the CDC website:

People who are moderately to severely immunocompromised make up about 3% of the adult population and are especially vulnerable to COVID-19 because they are more at risk of serious, prolonged illness.

Currently, CDC is recommending that moderately to severely immunocompromised people receive an additional dose. This includes people who have:

• Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
  • Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
  • Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
  • Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
  • Advanced or untreated HIV infection
  • Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response

When can I get a COVID-19 vaccine booster?

Not immediately. The goal is for people to start receiving a COVID-19 booster shot beginning in the fall, with individuals being eligible starting 8 months after they received their second dose of an mRNA vaccine (either Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna). This is subject to authorization by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and recommendation by CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). FDA is conducting an independent evaluation to determine the safety and effectiveness of a booster dose of the mRNA vaccines. ACIP will decide whether to issue a booster dose recommendation based on a thorough review of the evidence.

Who will be the first people to get a booster dose?

If FDA authorizes and ACIP recommends a booster dose, the goal is for the first people eligible for a booster dose to be those who were the first to receive a COVID-19 vaccination (those who are most at risk). This includes healthcare providers, residents of long-term care facilities, and other older adults.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marden1970 said:

Hi Dian,  my DH is also on an oxygen concentrator. I did see the news about it extending until the end of the year.  We also have a Hawaiian cruise scheduled but not leaving until the end of March 2022.  However our final payment is due in the middle of December; I won't be making it unless I can get something in writing saying that those with oxygen can sail in 2022.  I'll be super disappointed if we can't go but that's life.  He's more important to me than any cruise.

Do you know if Princess is allowing passengers who use CPAP machines to still travel at this time?

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Do you know if Princess is allowing passengers who use CPAP machines to still travel at this time?

CPAP machines are not mentioned.

If I require oxygen and/or dialysis during my cruise, may I still travel?

Unfortunately, we are unable to accept guests who are dependent on dialysis or supplemental oxygen at this time. This includes guests who use oxygen concentrators. Our medical experts have determined that, for the guest’s own safety, this is the right decision.

We’ve had to make some difficult decisions based on general public health guidelines and the overall health and safety of our guests. We remain optimistic that our approach on future sailings will become more flexible.

7 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Great.  Do as you please.  Maybe don’t rain on others parade?

Who is raining on any ones parade . We  posted this for seniors who have  under lying medical conditions & factually we /they are the most vunerable to this   highly contagious Delta Variant ;which is spreading like chicken pox ,not my word but medical science  .  People  with our   underlying medical need to be far more careful than younger people with out  those underlying medical conditions   & just may be save their lives   or even get put off the ship at some foreign port to fend for themselves to get back home . You are way off base with your comment imo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redrobin said:

Regarding booster shots, this is correct! Pending approval, most people, including seniors and those with chronic health conditions, only become eligible for the booster shot starting next month.

Straight from the CDC website:

People who are moderately to severely immunocompromised make up about 3% of the adult population and are especially vulnerable to COVID-19 because they are more at risk of serious, prolonged illness.

Currently, CDC is recommending that moderately to severely immunocompromised people receive an additional dose. This includes people who have:

• Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
  • Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
  • Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
  • Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
  • Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response

When can I get a COVID-19 vaccine booster?

Not immediately. The goal is for people to start receiving a COVID-19 booster shot beginning in the fall, with individuals being eligible starting 8 months after they received their second dose of an mRNA vaccine (either Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna). This is subject to authorization by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and recommendation by CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). FDA is conducting an independent evaluation to determine the safety and effectiveness of a booster dose of the mRNA vaccines. ACIP will decide whether to issue a booster dose recommendation based on a thorough review of the evidence.

Who will be the first people to get a booster dose?

If FDA authorizes and ACIP recommends a booster dose, the goal is for the first people eligible for a booster dose to be those who were the first to receive a COVID-19 vaccination (those who are most at risk). This includes healthcare providers, residents of long-term care facilities, and other older adults.

We got the one shot JnJ which is a totally different base formula than Pfizer or the Moderna vaccines .A  look  using a google search  tells us JnJ could have some information  out about boosters in the next 2 to 3 weeks . We would definitely  get the booster dhot if we knew it would protect us from the new variants 

We want to cruise once again & we have time since we pushed back our cruises to the end on 2022  for hopefully this virus to be  less problematic   . We decided not to fly any longer but only take the cruises that are within  driving distance to the local ports   .We have sailed the world with close to 90 cruises & now we will cruise for the ambiance  ,food , service &  the entertainment values . The ports we have bben to many times ,so need to get off the ships . 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Not wholly true about needing annual evac policy to be flown to hospital of choice.  I have had coverage for evac to hospital of choice WITHOUT annual policy.  One needs to read what particular policies cover ... and buy an appropriate travel insurance product.

I made the choice to go with the Princess upgraded policy. 

Now I'm wondering if I'm fully covered. 

Is anyone here familiar with the Princess policy on this Issue. 

We would need to be evacuated back to Florida from the Caribbean.

I truly went with the cruise line policy so we'd be fully covered. 

32 minutes ago, hugger said:

I made the choice to go with the Princess upgraded policy. 

Now I'm wondering if I'm fully covered. 

Is anyone here familiar with the Princess policy on this Issue. 

We would need to be evacuated back to Florida from the Caribbean.

I truly went with the cruise line policy so we'd be fully covered. 

In any  insurance policy you got to read the fine print .  in the past I can tell you that Trip insurance was not covering pandemics .since we are not traveling now we personally have no need of travel insurance .  .However ,the new policies may cover you ;but ,please read the policy carefully 

In todays world one should be very cautious  ;as it was the first time I ever heard of a cruise line putting a infected person off the ship to fend for themselves . Horrible imo  .why in this world couldn't the cruise line confined them to their cabin for the duration & bring them their food . for me very hard to understand that kind of treatment  .The cruise lines always  state that their passengers are their highest priority of safety . Well not in that case ?? 

Edited by mcrcruiser

7 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Nope, I just filled out the questionnaire on line and no questions asked inside the pharmacy. Only one question online asked if you are immunosuppressed and as per post #15 everyone qualifies!

Post #15 lists conditions that put people at a higher risk. It is not a list of what makes a person immunosuppressed.

However the pharmacies just take your word if you check that you are immunosuppressed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

In any  insurance policy you got to read the fine print .  in the past I can tell you that Trip insurance was not covering pandemics .since we are not traveling now we personally have no need of travel insurance .  .However ,the new policies may cover you ;but ,please read the policy carefully 

In todays world one should be very cautious  ;as it was the first time I ever heard of a cruise line putting a infected person off the ship to fend for themselves . Horrible imo  .why in this world couldn't the cruise line confined them to their cabin for the duration & bring them their food . for me very hard to understand that kind of treatment  .The cruise lines always  state that their passengers are their highest priority of safety . Well not in that case ?? 

We don't know the details of how sick this individual really may have been, or the extent of the medical care she needed.

There are limits to the capabilities of the onboard medical dept.  Hence, sick people beyond those capabilities are transferred to land-based facilities.

I suspect more than simple quarantining was needed in this case.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, mnocket said:

Now here is how the CDC defines people with an increased risk of severe illness........

• Cancer

• Chronic kidney disease

• Chronic lung diseases, including COPD

• asthma (moderate-to-severe)

• cystic fibrosis

• pulmonary hypertension

• Dementia

• Diabetes (type 1 or type 2)

• Down syndrome

• Heart conditions including hypertension

• HIV infection

• Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system)

• Liver disease

• Overweight and obesity

• Pregnancy

• Sickle cell disease or thalassemia

• Smoking, current or former

• Solid organ or blood stem cell transplant

• Stroke or cerebrovascular disease

• Substance use disorders including alcohol

So if you don't meet any of the criteria you can't get another shot? 

Current thinking is that you are eligible for the booster (Pfizer/Moderna) 8 months from the last of the two  primary vaccinations.  People with "increased risk" should get the booster and go to the head of the line.  As we have read there continues to be some discussion as to whether the booster is necessary.  I view it like the annual flu shot - take it anyway.  The flu strain varies by year/season and it appears that COVID-19 is doing similar with the Delta and other variants.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

So if you don't meet any of the criteria you can't get another shot? 

To be clear, that list is the list of people the CDC recommends not get onto a cruise ship.  As of today, the only people who are eligible for a booster shot are immune compromised persons.  There was a suggestion from the White House that everybody get a booster, but that has not yet been authorized by the FDA.

Per the CDC, these are the people eligible for a booster shot:

• Active treatment for solid tumor and hematologic malignancies
  • Receipt of solid-organ transplant and taking immunosuppressive therapy
  • Receipt of CAR-T-cell or hematopoietic stem cell transplant (within 2 years of transplantation or taking immunosuppression therapy)
  • Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (e.g., DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
  • Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids (i.e., ≥20mg prednisone or equivalent per day), alkylating agents, antimetabolites, transplant-related immunosuppressive drugs, cancer chemotherapeutic agents classified as severely immunosuppressive, tumor-necrosis (TNF) blockers, and other biologic agents that are immunosuppressive or immunomodulatory.
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

If they'd kept the lady on the ship, she would have died on the ship. She was placed on a ventilator the day she arrived in Belize.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I got my booster and am happy to have the protection. It may not be available in a month or two if the WHO has it's way.  The WHO president is asking that all boosters be halted so we can give it to countries that need first doses. I don't agree that we should put our citizens at risk. It seems that we are making enough vaccine to share after we take care of our own. Anyone at high risk should get their booster now because who knows if it will be available later.

"

The World Health Organization (WHO) is asking countries to hold off on administering COVID-19 vaccine booster doses to their populations.

During a conference on August 4, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the WHO, said that while there are still populations that "need vaccines urgently" and millions of people are waiting for first doses, some rich countries are already administering or working towards giving booster doses."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The World Health Organization (WHO) is asking countries to hold off on administering COVID-19 vaccine booster doses to their populations.

During a conference on August 4, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the WHO, said that while there are still populations that "need vaccines urgently" and millions of people are waiting for first doses, some rich countries are already administering or working towards giving booster doses."

I guess he neglected to mention that some of those "rich countries" are the ones who developed the vaccines in the first place.  Maybe he thinks Ethiopia should be getting our vaccines first...😠 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

To be clear, that list is the list of people the CDC recommends not get onto a cruise ship.  As of today, the only people who are eligible for a booster shot are immune compromised persons.  There was a suggestion from the White House that everybody get a booster, but that has not yet been authorized by the FDA.

Per the CDC, these are the people eligible for a booster shot:

• Active treatment for solid tumor and hematologic malignancies
  • Receipt of solid-organ transplant and taking immunosuppressive therapy
  • Receipt of CAR-T-cell or hematopoietic stem cell transplant (within 2 years of transplantation or taking immunosuppression therapy)
  • Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (e.g., DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
  • Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids (i.e., ≥20mg prednisone or equivalent per day), alkylating agents, antimetabolites, transplant-related immunosuppressive drugs, cancer chemotherapeutic agents classified as severely immunosuppressive, tumor-necrosis (TNF) blockers, and other biologic agents that are immunosuppressive or immunomodulatory.

When we first got the one shot JnJ Vaccine April 7 ,2021 we were besides ourselves for some time here is San Diego county trying desperately to get vaccinated ,We are both 82 years ,I am  over weight due to this virus ,pre virus I could get to the gym . I am diabetic type 2 on medications  I also have high blood pressure & take medications for that as well  . My DW has a bad case of Asthma & uses inhalers regularly. My question to you is where should we fit  in line for a JnJ booster shot when or if it becomes available ,based on your post ?

We also understand that the JnJ may not be as strong as the Pfizer shots against the Delta Variant which is as contagious as chicken pox .We are back to wearing masks in the super markets & SD county has done well in cases so far compared to many  parts of the country .In fact Los Angles county the  most populated county in the USA has had mandated masks in public areas   just fairly recently  . .The LA County is but a 2 hour drive from us  here in north County Coastal SD

33 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

When we first got the one shot JnJ Vaccine April 7 ,2021 we were besides ourselves for some time here is San Diego county trying desperately to get vaccinated ,We are both 82 years ,I am  over weight due to this virus ,pre virus I could get to the gym . I am diabetic type 2 on medications  I also have high blood pressure & take medications for that as well  . My DW has a bad case of Asthma & uses inhalers regularly. My question to you is where should we fit  in line for a JnJ booster shot when or if it becomes available ,based on your post ?

Please allow me to make a point very clearly - I am not a Medical Doctor (and I don't even play one on TV 😊)  Speaking of TV, I did see on TV this morning, the former head of the FDA say he expects the FDA to approve booster shots for people over the age of 60 as a priority, but the proof will be in the pudding.  Until then, it certainly won't hurt to take your precautions.  (Kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders...)

Stay safe!

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:
CPAP machines are not mentioned.

If I require oxygen and/or dialysis during my cruise, may I still travel?

Unfortunately, we are unable to accept guests who are dependent on dialysis or supplemental oxygen at this time. This includes guests who use oxygen concentrators. Our medical experts have determined that, for the guest’s own safety, this is the right decision.

We’ve had to make some difficult decisions based on general public health guidelines and the overall health and safety of our guests. We remain optimistic that our approach on future sailings will become more flexible.

Our son uses a cPap and I was told there was NO PROBLEM with him taking the cruise, just me due to my use of oxygen with a portable oxygen concentrator at night…

12 minutes ago, Retired Educator said:

Our son uses a cPap and I was told there was NO PROBLEM with him taking the cruise, just me due to my use of oxygen with a portable oxygen concentrator at night…

As long as the CPAP doesn't use supplemental oxygen it shouldn't present a problem.  On another thread for Holland America, a poster wrote that they only use an oxygen generator when flying on an aircraft.  They were advised they would not be permitted to board the ship if they need to use the oxygen generator at all.

20 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

post#15 refers to CDC guidelines for cruising;  not for booster shot.

• Like 2

Here’s a link to today’s CC article about the CDC’s warning & a quote from the CDC about who they’re recommending to not cruise.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6411/

Asked to clarify what older adults would be at risk, a CDC spokesperson told Cruise Critic that the, "increased risk of severe illness applies to older unvaccinated adults, and not all people 65 and older. However, within the group of vaccinated older adults, there may be some that have underlying conditions that put them at increased risk."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Here’s a link to today’s CC article about the CDC’s warning & a quote from the CDC about who they’re recommending to not cruise.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6411/

Asked to clarify what older adults would be at risk, a CDC spokesperson told Cruise Critic that the, "increased risk of severe illness applies to older unvaccinated adults, and not all people 65 and older. However, within the group of vaccinated older adults, there may be some that have underlying conditions that put them at increased risk."

It was written on a previous post that this thread's title is misleading.  The CDC warning is for anybody regardless of age who has any of the underlying conditions the CDC quoted.

• Like 1