NEW CDC CRUISE GUIDELINES /SENIORS WIYH UNDER LYING MEDICAL CONDITIONS

mcrcruiser

2 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

Maybe I'm confused, but for those worried about where they fall in the booster shot eligibility hierarchy, can't you just show up for the vaccine and pretend you've never gotten one? Then just don't come back for the second one. Then you'd get a second card with the booster listed to add to the first card with the two original doses.

They still check insurance private or federal coverage and can see if you were vaccinated or not. Pfizer recommends 8 months so that it will last longer as Covid progresses. There is no benefit to an earlier injection. Immune compromised were in the first group who were offered the vaccine so they are due for the booster now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

Is the Moderna recommendation also no earlier than 8 months from the first dose?  

Yes, I was told the Moderna and Pfizer were interchangeable. They recommend 8 months so it last longer into the future. My PCP recommends that I wait until October to get the flu vaccine because it will last longer into the spring. The covid vaccine is the same principle.

• Like 1

We just got back from our Alaska cruise Sunday.  We were tested beforehand and vaccinations were required as well as masks except when eating or drinking.  It took a day or so to relax and to see that almost everyone was masked when appropriate, and if they forgot it, you could just ask politely and they responded well (we left our cabin several times forgetting our masks but remembered before encountering anyone and went back to get it).

Like someone has already said on this thread, we actually felt safer on the cruise than out and about in our home state because our citizens are not great at wearing a mask and only about 50-60% are vaccinated.  Plus we were got off in Alaskan ports where vaccinations were high and masks required unless outside.  

We are seriously thinking about how a Mexican cruise might be different, but if we can get a third vaccination by then, we will feel more confident (depending on the course of COVID, of course).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pamster said:

Well, as an ex-ICU nurse it's really hard for me to imagine that the medical/nursing staff on a cruise ship has the capability of handling a covid patient on a ventilator.  Even the most experienced hospital staff have difficulty.  And it's more than a matter of training, it's even more a matter of experience, and daily use.

I agree, I would love to see what pieces of that toolkit were actually implemented by the cruiselines.  That's a huge expense.

Lets see.  Maintain a patient for two days until returning to a US port, or offloading the patient in a 3rd world country with marginal health care. If it was me I would rather not have the decision to be at the whim of the cruise line with COVID.

Or for that matter take a trans-pacific or transatlantic where you are multiple days from ports.  One would certainly hope that they have training to properly use the equipment.

On Princess a lot of the Doctor's are South African trained and certified emergency room doctors.  SA does have very good medical training, but salaries in country for doctors is very poor. One couple, the wife was the Doctor or ship, the husband was a chemical engineer going along on ship with his wife.  They said that she makes more on a 6 month cruise ship tour, than both of them could make working in South Africa for a year.  Have not had a chance to talk to any that I know to find out about any changes post COVID.

Also keep in mind that the driver of the decisions were a result of cruises that were stuck, ports not willing to let them dock or even offload patients.  The quality/ lack thereof, of equipment for dealing with COVID became rather obvious at that time, with some ships only having old manual ventilators.

Even in the US there are locations such as Hawaii and Alaska where patients need to be transferred to Honolulu or Anchorage  for a well staffed, ICU with the experience level you are talking about.

On 8/23/2021 at 1:23 PM, KruzPrincess said:

I always buy an annual Medevac insurance policy when I’m traveling. This kind of expense could bankrupt some people. I just think the cost of the insurance policy is worth the peace of mind. 

Who do you use for the Medevac policy?  I'm looking up extra policies online and they seem fairly reasonable.  The Nationwide Prime plan is around $90 for my 5-day Cabo RT on 9/25.  It shows up to $1m in evac coverage plus $150k in medical.  

Can anyone offer some other suggestions for coverage?  I have the Princess Platinum plan but even after reading all the fine print I have questions about it.  A dedicated policy seems a wise move.

3 hours ago, Westsail32 said:

Who do you use for the Medevac policy?  I'm looking up extra policies online and they seem fairly reasonable.  The Nationwide Prime plan is around $90 for my 5-day Cabo RT on 9/25.  It shows up to $1m in evac coverage plus $150k in medical.  

Can anyone offer some other suggestions for coverage?  I have the Princess Platinum plan but even after reading all the fine print I have questions about it.  A dedicated policy seems a wise move.

I have always used Medjet. I should add that I haven’t traveled since Covid, so I haven’t checked out their coverage recently. If you’re a senior, they used to give AARP members a discount. 

On 8/25/2021 at 12:59 PM, Iamcruzin said:

They still check insurance private or federal coverage and can see if you were vaccinated or not. Pfizer recommends 8 months so that it will last longer as Covid progresses. There is no benefit to an earlier injection. Immune compromised were in the first group who were offered the vaccine so they are due for the booster now.

I've read the same thing.  What I find odd is that my in-laws got their 3 just now.. like about 4-5 months after their second.  Now one is imunocomped other, just old with some comorbids.  Yes she just asked and pharmacist said sure, here ya go.  So I'm up in the air if waiting 8 months is more of a deal to avoid a flood (I don't see it, but who knows) or if it's truly a medical reason.  I'm thinking of getting it a bit early to improve my shield for the Delta version.  I'm at 7 months now.  So why wait?  Especially since some locations are close to having to throw away doses due to expirations.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

I've read the same thing.  What I find odd is that my in-laws got their 3 just now.. like about 4-5 months after their second.  Now one is imunocomped other, just old with some comorbids.  Yes she just asked and pharmacist said sure, here ya go.  So I'm up in the air if waiting 8 months is more of a deal to avoid a flood (I don't see it, but who knows) or if it's truly a medical reason.  I'm thinking of getting it a bit early to improve my shield for the Delta version.  I'm at 7 months now.  So why wait?  Especially since some locations are close to having to throw away doses due to expirations.

As I mentioned at some point that I work for a retail chain drug store. In the early stages of the first two shots when they started vaccinating teachers and 1st responders we never asked for proof so I'm sure they are looking the other way now. September the booster will be available for everyone and I would bet my first born that they won't be turning anyone away. There isn't a shortage now and there are still a lot of people who don't want the vaccine. I would go with what your Dr recommends.  My G.I. physician who is also involved in case studies of the vaccine told me 6 months is ok. We are headed to Florida mid Oct so I'm planning on getting the booster mid September even though November would be 8 months.  Just as an F.Y.I he told me to hold off on the shingles vaccine as the side effects can mimic covid symptoms.  I'm 60. My. father who was 88 at the time had the shingle vaccine during the height of covid and never had any side effects so it's anyone's guess.  I also need to get the flu shot. I guess I will hold off until Nov for that.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

There isn't a shortage now and there are still a lot of people who don't want the vaccine. I would go with what your Dr recommends.  My G.I. physician who is also involved in case studies of the vaccine told me 6 months is ok. We are headed to Florida mid Oct so I'm planning on getting the booster mid September even though November would be 8 months.  Just as an F.Y.I he told me to hold off on the shingles vaccine as the side effects can mimic covid symptoms.  I'm 60. My. father who was 88 at the time had the shingle vaccine during the height of covid and never had any side effects so it's anyone's guess.  I also need to get the flu shot. I guess I will hold off until Nov for that.

I’m 61, and take a medication that makes me somewhat immuno-compromised (didn’t realize that until I saw my rheumatologist last week), and I received the booster yesterday, 5 months after my second vaccine, at his recommendation.  I feel strongly that me not getting it wouldn’t have put a single shot into anyone else’s arm, either because they’re not interested in it or because it still wouldn’t be available to them. 

I am more than happy to report that, so far, the side effects I had from my second dose aren’t happening (I was quite miserable from about 8-24 hours after the second vaccine).  I will get my annual flu vaccine at the end of September, just to space them out a bit. 

My second Shingles vaccine, received a month after my second COVID vaccine, caused my arm to redden, swell and then peel for a month afterward. Didn’t hurt but looked nasty.  

We need to start making final payments in 4 days for a series of Caribbean cruises.  I am strongly opposed to going; my husband, who is fit as can be, really wants to. A large part of my hesitancy is that I can’t imagine getting into a crowded taxi or public bus on a Caribbean island to go to the beach, but also because I really want to avoid Florida. We’ll see how this works out…

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, eclue said:

Just go to Squaremouth.com and compare all the many plans available and the coverages provided. WE have purchased our travel insurance from them for many years.

Squaremouth offers standard comprehensive plans with evacuation coverage along with other travel and medical benefits.

MedJetAssist is a stand alone evacuation policy. It does not offer cancellation, medical, or any other type of coverage. It is in addition to a standard policy to give you control over your your care if you want to be returned to the US for continued treatment after being assessed/treated at the nearest facility where you’ll be taken by a standard travel policy.

The best source of information is the MedJet website.

Edited by Babr

On 8/30/2021 at 7:39 AM, PescadoAmarillo said:

I’m 61, and take a medication that makes me somewhat immuno-compromised (didn’t realize that until I saw my rheumatologist last week), and I received the booster yesterday, 5 months after my second vaccine, at his recommendation.  I feel strongly that me not getting it wouldn’t have put a single shot into anyone else’s arm, either because they’re not interested in it or because it still wouldn’t be available to them. 

I am more than happy to report that, so far, the side effects I had from my second dose aren’t happening (I was quite miserable from about 8-24 hours after the second vaccine).  I will get my annual flu vaccine at the end of September, just to space them out a bit. 

My second Shingles vaccine, received a month after my second COVID vaccine, caused my arm to redden, swell and then peel for a month afterward. Didn’t hurt but looked nasty.  

We need to start making final payments in 4 days for a series of Caribbean cruises.  I am strongly opposed to going; my husband, who is fit as can be, really wants to. A large part of my hesitancy is that I can’t imagine getting into a crowded taxi or public bus on a Caribbean island to go to the beach, but also because I really want to avoid Florida. We’ll see how this works out…

I've been reading your blogs for years and know how you two usually negotiate your port visits, i.e. public transportation with the locals! However, I do seem to recall you taking taxis from time to time. Sometimes shared, but sometimes not. I would like to cast a vote for you using taxis exclusively should you decide to go on these cruises. I know it's more expensive, but if ever there were a time for this option, this is it! My (totally unsolicited) two cents.

Now as to your concerns about Florida: I completely agree with you there. Not sure how to negotiate that one!  I have a Caribbean cruise scheduled this winter out of Miami, so I feel your pain. My final payment is in November and will review the situation at that time. Hard to imagine it getting any better between now and then....

On 8/31/2021 at 4:57 PM, Babr said:

Squaremouth offers standard comprehensive plans with evacuation coverage along with other travel and medical benefits.

MedJetAssist is a stand alone evacuation policy. It does not offer cancellation, medical, or any other type of coverage. It is in addition to a standard policy to give you control over your your care if you want to be returned to the US for continued treatment after being assessed/treated at the nearest facility where you’ll be taken by a standard travel policy.

The best source of information is the MedJet website.

Medjet is a hospital to hospital evacuation policy.  It does not cover any expenses getting you from the ship to the hospital. It also does not work if there is not a airport with a long enough runway to get their jet into near the hospital (some Caribbean islands) So one could also be on the hook getting from one hospital to another on an island with a long enough runway.  

5 minutes ago, nocl said:

Medjet is a hospital to hospital evacuation policy.  It does not cover any expenses getting you from the ship to the hospital. It also does not work if there is not a airport with a long enough runway to get their jet into near the hospital (some Caribbean islands) So one could also be on the hook getting from one hospital to another on an island with a long enough runway.  

Would Medjet have a list of islands they cannot service?

Just now, Daniel A said:

Would Medjet have a list of islands they cannot service?

That I do not know.  I did have a conversation with them considering that limitation, but did not ask them if they had such a list.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, nocl said:

Yes, thanks for the extra details. Describing it as a stand alone policy may not have been clear enough to people who are unfamiliar with travel insurance, but that is why I said a standard policy is still necessary. The evacuation portion of that policy will cover ground transportation to get you to the first facility, and it will pay to return you home by commercial air once you have recovered. It is the hospital-to-hospital part that is in question. That is where MedJet gives you a voice in making the decision.

Air evacuation from the ship, if that is necessary, it carried out by the Coast Guard or its equivalent in the nearest country. There no charge for that, but your Caribbean island example is a good illustration that even with MedJet there can still be impediments.

Edited by Babr

@avalongCC won’t let me react to your post, so I’ll do it this way. Thank you for your thoughts!  We have decided to cancel everything we have booked (November to January on the Regal Princess) before final payment dates, and continually re-assess.  One of us is thrilled; one of us is resigned. I’m glad we traveled as much as we did when we did!

• Like 4

On 8/30/2021 at 4:39 AM, PescadoAmarillo said:

Are you ever lucky! I've had a lot of orthopedic injuries and think that darn Shingles shot was worse. The next day felt like someone punched me as hard as they could in my arm. I'm 6'1, 210.

Edited by Yehootu
underline

12 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

@avalongCC won’t let me react to your post, so I’ll do it this way. Thank you for your thoughts!  We have decided to cancel everything we have booked (November to January on the Regal Princess) before final payment dates, and continually re-assess.  One of us is thrilled; one of us is resigned. I’m glad we traveled as much as we did when we did!

It's really a shame how this is all unfolding. We are all basically in the same boat, actually not on the boat.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:20 AM, AF-1 said:

The pharmacies giving booster vaccine have a list.  If you ask to get a booster; they will go down their list to see if you meet the required qualification for the booster.  

NO NO No I walked into CVS and no questions asked having made the appt nline with a minimum of questions of which one asked if immune compromised or high risk. I got my Moderna booster exactly 5 months post second shot. Israel has stated that immunity starts to wane at 5 months so I took my cue from them.

33 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

NO NO No I walked into CVS and no questions asked having made the appt nline with a minimum of questions of which one asked if immune compromised or high risk. I got my Moderna booster exactly 5 months post second shot. Israel has stated that immunity starts to wane at 5 months so I took my cue from them.

I called both the county health clinic (where we received out original shots) and the local Walgreens. Both had recorded messages that said booster shots were not available until approved by the NY State Health Department.

On 8/23/2021 at 2:14 AM, mcrcruiser said:

In any  insurance policy you got to read the fine print .  in the past I can tell you that Trip insurance was not covering pandemics .since we are not traveling now we personally have no need of travel insurance .  .However ,the new policies may cover you ;but ,please read the policy carefully 

In todays world one should be very cautious  ;as it was the first time I ever heard of a cruise line putting a infected person off the ship to fend for themselves . Horrible imo  .why in this world couldn't the cruise line confined them to their cabin for the duration & bring them their food . for me very hard to understand that kind of treatment  .The cruise lines always  state that their passengers are their highest priority of safety . Well not in that case ?? 

If your talking about Carnival at the Belize port, that guest needed to be put on a ventilator and needed emergency treatment per the articles written. 
Though, normally a rep from the cruiseline stays with the guest and makes sure they are taken care of.  Maybe they are not allowed to do that with a covid patient?  

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

If your talking about Carnival at the Belize port, that guest needed to be put on a ventilator and needed emergency treatment per the articles written. 
Though, normally a rep from the cruiseline stays with the guest and makes sure they are taken care of.  Maybe they are not allowed to do that with a covid patient?  

She also had 3 obvious risk factors (^BMI ^ BFA ^ age). Although age is not always a risk factor, many (most?) seniors have no underlying conditions.  It is sad that she died.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:57 PM, Belle said:

Remember these are Guidelines only. Not rules. Everyone makes their own decision on cruising.

One thing that gets me, these guidelines are for cruises only. The CDC seems to have a dislike

for cruise lines.

Why don't they have guides for airlines (packed together, can't move) sport events, concerts ect.

More people getting the virus on land then ships. On ships we know people have had their shots

and have been tested. On land we don't know.  

I know on ships we can still catch it but to me very low compared to on land. My opinion only.

I'm still going on my cruises.

You make a very good point.  This past weekend there were dozens of college stadiums packed with anywhere between 60K and 80K or more folks.  No masks required...no proof of vaccination required (at most).  Walt Disney World has loosened their requirements for Social Distancing or wearing masks outside and they are packing in the crowds.  I would say getting on a ship with vaccinated persons that have tested negative within a few days of the trip is about as safe a spot as you can get...besides sitting in your living room for the rest of your days.

• Like 2