Arrival and departure groups

Retired 07

2 hours ago, manunia said:

today is 20 days before 9/25 cruise from San Pedro - nothing new besides Sorry window

too much excitement between getting Arrival Time and find less expensive testing site - i would probably be too bored without those activities

20 minutes ago, SOCACRUISEGUY said:

Clearly someone feels entitled. Hopefully, not someone I ever share a ship with. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I can only speak for myself, but after years and many posts, you will get to know the posters on Princess' threads.  Frustrations over the app have created side bars.  If it weren't for those folks that inject humor into a thread, we would have all been discouraged by the Medallion App.  

Case in point:  for the past several of weeks, Princess has been "promising" arrival groups 60 days, 45 days, 30 days, and the most recent 20 days out.  So 20 isn't the magic number.  Then what is?

I predict there will be a mutiny with half the ship's passengers throwing their smart devices at the check in clerk and sauntering up to the gangway.  All the way chanting "free at last".  

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, SOCACRUISEGUY said:

Clearly someone feels entitled. Hopefully, not someone I ever share a ship with. 

Clearly, you assume too much and are mistaken.

At this point I don't think anybody is going to stop anyone from checking in and boarding, no matter what time they show up. Princess is well aware of the trouble people are having getting arrival times in place.

My future cruises are listed in my signature.

I'm sorry if I've caused you to change plans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, jwattle said:

Does anyone else remember the not-so-distant past, where we all longed for the mere chance to be back on a ship again? Anyone? 😂🤗

Yes!  Now it's back to threads unhappy (not using the word complaining) with protocols required to cruise,  apps not working (now that is a PITA) ships/itineraries changed or cancelled (does Princess just sit back and come up with these changes to see how "angry/upset" they can make cruisers).  Are we happy yet?? 

5 hours ago, trbarton said:

FYI…I have seen a number of posts that when they arrived at the terminal in Seattle nobody checked there arrival times. The most important thing is to have all of the documents that they want. 

Tom😀

This has always been characteristic of Princess - inconsistent application of policies.  It always depends on who you are dealing with, not what the corporation says the policy is.

4 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Yes!  Now it's back to threads unhappy (not using the word complaining) with protocols required to cruise,  apps not working (now that is a PITA) ships/itineraries changed or cancelled (does Princess just sit back and come up with these changes to see how "angry/upset" they can make cruisers).  Are we happy yet?? 

We will be very happy on March 12 when we are on our cruise, sipping a Passionate Bellini (me) and Tanqueray/Tonic (him) at whichever shipboard bar strikes our fancy, watching the coastline fade away. Won't worry, will be happy! 😄

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Retired 07 said:

Hi everyone,  I’m the OP on this thread, and I have another question. Does anyone know how far in advance of the cruise the send the medallion?  And once you get it is there anything you can do with it? Thanks again for all your answers.

There is a whole thread on this which was started 2 days ago, but the short answer is generally 10 to 14 days prior to embarkation.  There isn't anything the medallion will do for you prior to arriving at the ship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Wow…what embarkation port?

San Pedro.  I just spoke with a representative down at Princess and she noted that was their problem child.  There is nothing set up in Journeyview yet, either.  I don't think my situation is unique, though.  

She sent a ticket to the navigator team, nonetheless.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

San Pedro.  I just spoke with a representative down at Princess and she noted that was their problem child.  There is nothing set up in Journeyview yet, either.  I don't think my situation is unique, though.  

She sent a ticket to the navigator team, nonetheless.  

Thanks…we’re on Majestic on 10/23 when Grand will also be embarking passengers in SP.

Your cruise will be the first from SP and on our embarkation date that will be the Grand’s 7th embarkation and Majestic’s 4th (plus one Emerald). That’s 10 embarkations in SP before our cruise & hopefully most of the kinks will be worked out before our cruise having 2 ships in SP on the same date. 🤞

Appreciate your updates & being at 46 days before boarding I’ll just continue to check daily. A group of cruise friends will communicate with each other when one of us discovers that Arrival Group are available to reserve…wish they’d email elites a day early to have a true priority boarding option.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks…we’re on Majestic on 10/23 when Grand will also be embarking passengers in SP.

Your cruise will be the first from SP and on our embarkation date that will be the Grand’s 7th embarkation and Majestic’s 4th (plus one Emerald). That’s 10 embarkations in SP before our cruise & hopefully most of the kinks will be worked out before our cruise having 2 ships in SP on the same date. 🤞

Appreciate your updates & being at 46 days before boarding I’ll just continue to check daily. A group of cruise friends will communicate with each other when one of us discovers that Arrival Group are available to reserve…wish they’d email elites a day early to have a true priority boarding option.

We will be on the Majestic earlier in Oct. and the Grand will also be there in San Pedro.  Do both ships use the same terminal?  Will this make things even crazier trying to board?

1 hour ago, Retired 07 said:

We will be on the Majestic earlier in Oct. and the Grand will also be there in San Pedro.  Do both ships use the same terminal?  Will this make things even crazier trying to board?

No…They do not use the same terminal but are next to each other & use the same parking lot.

The larger Royal-Class ships such as Majestic must dock at the longer B92 pier which has a smaller terminal building to accommodate more cruise passengers. Smaller ships such as the Grand dock at the smaller B93 pier (where the Love Boat docked) & can accommodate more passengers. When boarding the Royal Princess they had a tent set up for B92’s security screening before entering the terminal.

It was a bad decision by the Port of LA to build the smaller new terminal where larger ships with more passengers need to dock.

5634B141-5552-4801-A5F2-6CDE5B7EB325.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

No…They do not use the same terminal but are next to each other & use the same parking lot.

The larger Royal-Class ships such as Majestic must dock at the longer B92 pier which has a smaller terminal building to accommodate more cruise passengers. Smaller ships such as the Grand dock at the smaller B93 pier (where the Love Boat docked) & can accommodate more passengers. When boarding the Royal Princess they had a tent set up for B92’s security screening before entering the terminal.

It was a bad decision by the Port of LA to build the smaller new terminal where larger ships with more passengers need to dock.

Thank you, that is really good info. The parking lot looks big enough to accommodate what I’m sure will be a lot of locals (myself included), that will be on both ships. Your picture shows that we can park right by berth 92, if the whole parking lot will be open.  I also assume that both ships will have the same boarding time?

32 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks for the photo. Provides a lot of smiles and great memories!!

Edited by Bgwest

6 minutes ago, Retired 07 said:

Thank you, that is really good info. The parking lot looks big enough to accommodate what I’m sure will be a lot of locals (myself included), that will be on both ships. Your picture shows that we can park right by berth 92, if the whole parking lot will be open.  I also assume that both ships will have the same boarding time?

If like pre-pandemic boarding at both terminals would be at the same time.

Apparently Princess is still negotiating with the port about their requirements & thus the delay in selecting an Arrival Group. Based on my roll call there will be many people who like us will drive there but in the past the parking lot has easily accommodated 2 ships. We considered a stay & park package at the Crowne Plaza but based on past experiences decided it wasn’t our best option for a 7-day cruise.

2 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Thanks for the photo. Provides a lot of smiles!!

Yes…😁😁😁…it’s getting closer! 👍

has anyone reported that they had an arrival time booked thru the "app", showed up early, and were denied boarding until that time ? 

or have not been able to book an arrival time at all, and denied boarding until their 'cabin deck' was called and then allowed to board ?

• Like 2

I personally don’t think it is a big deal for me to be able to pick an arrival time soon as long as priority boarders get an opportunity to pick a day or 2 ahead of others. Princess could send an email 20 days before sailing saying priority choosing starts at 17 days prior and all others starts at 15 days prior. At 10 days, all that haven’t picked get assigned.  The closer to sailing they can make it, it leaves less opportunity for passengers to need to move around their times. And in turn be less hectic for Princess.  10 days ahead should normally allow plenty of time for making transportation arrangements. 

• Like 1

If flying into LAX or Long Beach airport we get the best prices 2 weeks and earlier also more choice in available flights. If you book an earlier flight and receive a later boarding time do you wait in the auto parking lot or at the airport terminal. It would make sense for PCL to establish a set number of days prior to the cruise (say 21) for people with priority boarding to get their boarding groups and another set date (say 18) for all others. Just my not so humble opinion.😜

6 hours ago, WmFCoyote said:

If you book an earlier flight and receive a later boarding time do you wait in the auto parking lot or at the airport terminal?

Since no cruise has restarted from SP yet, the question cannot be answered yet.

Those posting from the Alaska cruises from Seattle indicate no one was checking for arrival times at the pier.