Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, taylortime05 said:

Hi,  

I’m trying to pick a few books for our cruise on Sept 17th. If you have the list of recommendations from these posts could you please repost it here?  I’d appreciate it so much because I haven’t had time to go back through all the posts but I do plan to do that.  I learn so much from everyone.  
Thank you so much!

Taylor time....here you go!   Joanie

Georges Simenon Series 

Gideon Oliver -Aaron  Elkins  series 

Louise Penny’s Gamache series.

Dorothy L. Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey series

Any books by Josephine Tey

Barbara Hambly - Benjamin January series, if you like historical mysteries!

JD Robb books and Robert B Parker

The Scarapetta series by Patricia Cornwel

MC Beaton books

Elizabeth George’s Inspector Lynley Series. 

Donna Leon’s Brunetti series. 

Any books by Tana French

Any books by P. D. James.  

Greg Isles, a writer from Natchez, MS.

Snowblind” by Ragnar Jonasson.  (Book 1 of 6 - DarkIceland)

Cork O’Connor by William Kent Krueger 

Brad Thor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Georges Simenon Series 

MC Beaton books

Any books by Tana French

Brad Thor

Have enjoyed at least one from all those authors except Krueger and Jonasson, will have to put them on my list. Not a fan of MC Beaton or of her books under her other name, just couldn’t like them. the author of the Mississippi books is Iles, no “s” - don’t mean to be snarky, just didn’t want someone to get frustrated searching for it.

1 hour ago, stunned said:

Jim, 

I know it might be a tough question to find answers to, but I’m curious if those being quarantined went on excursions with the passengers being taken off ship for positive Covid tests. We sail Nov. 7 and I’m second guessing if booking cruise line excursions is not the safest move.

Judy

We were on the Edge for 3 weeks in August and went on Celebrity “bubble” excursions at every port. The driver/guide always wore a mask, sanitized our hands prior to us entering the bus, and passengers always wore their masks as well. However, we would always sit at the back of the bus and felt safer than if we had sat more towards the front of the bus where pretty much everyone else was sitting. In addition the seats in the back of the bus are usually higher than the other seats in the bus which gave us a better scenic viewing point besides giving us the protection of no one sitting behind us. But don’t tell anyone; otherwise everyone will start wanting to sit in the back. 🤫

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have agreed we are getting a house cleaner when we get home, but have to clean the house first.   

Right.  I suffer from the same problem.  I always had housekeeping help when I was working.  When I retired and moved, I figured I could do it myself.  Wrong.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Right.  I suffer from the same problem.  I always had housekeeping help when I was working.  When I retired and moved, I figured I could do it myself.  Wrong.

Made the same mistake Linda. It didn’t take long to reverse our decision.😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Georges Simenon Series 

MC Beaton books

Any books by Tana French

Brad Thor

Thank you so much Joanie!  Now to narrow it down to a few books.  Are you on the Sept 17th Equinox cruise?

Thanks again,

Sue

1 hour ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Georges Simenon Series 

MC Beaton books

Any books by Tana French

Brad Thor

Hi Joanie,

I think I'll start with Barbara Hambly - Benjamin January series.  I'm thinking about getting an audible subscription but I'm not sure I'll like it because I do prefer having the actual book. 

Thanks

Sue 

7 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Thank you so much Joanie!  Now to narrow it down to a few books.  Are you on the Sept 17th Equinox cruise?

Thanks again,

Sue

Glad to help!  No, to the Equinix, but I wish we were!  Our last cruise was on the Edge, just to get away.  We never got off the ship.  We are experimenting with a HAL cruise through the Panama Canal in a month.  Our first HAL cruise in decades, and just for the itinerary.  Then we have an Oceania scheduled.  As much as we love Celebrity, we don’t love the E class ships, and the itineraries of the rest are of the “been there, done that” variety for us.  I have mixed feelings.  Celebrity is as comfortable to us as our own living room!  But we are curious to know what is out thre and to seek some variety.  Time will tell.  This is the first time in decades that we have done anything other than Celebrity.

Joanie

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Georges Simenon Series 

MC Beaton books

Any books by Tana French

Brad Thor

Can I add my favourite , the Poldark series, set in 18c Cornwall. Author is Winston Graham 

Also I enjoyed the first dozen or so of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

The Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwel

Since you added European authors to the list of all the books above I've been reading myself, may I add:

* JK Rolling (author of Harry Potter series), writing under the name Robert Galbraith -- the Cormoran Strike series.

* Andrea Camilleri -- the Inspector Montalbano series.

* Helen Fields -- the Perfect series.

And two more American authors --

Karin Slaughter -- the Will Trent series

Daniel Silva - Gabriel Allon series

6 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Have enjoyed at least one from all those authors except Krueger and Jonasson, will have to put them on my list. Not a fan of MC Beaton or of her books under her other name, just couldn’t like them. the author of the Mississippi books is Iles, no “s” - don’t mean to be snarky, just didn’t want someone to get frustrated searching for it.

You might want to add  JAMES CRUMLEY to your list of authors. Really amazing books, filled with unique characters and plot lines. Crumley was an accomplished poet, and his descriptions of places and events are vivid, lovely, often gritty, and heartbreakingly realistic.  Crumley takes the concept of the anti-hero to a whole new level. The only problem with the CRUMLEY books is that they really should be read in order.

Edited by SonuvaBeach
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Security cameras with facial recognition.   They are really not giving much details on how.

I guess they would also have records of when you card is used to enter your room and make charges.

Sounds like ‘Big Brother is watching you!!’

I sincerely hope NOT in the cabins.😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Oh gosh, you had to remind me of those lemon tarts!  One of my favorite things on the ships.  And the photo....even worse!  🤨🤨🙄🙄

And I am loving all these book series recommendations.  I’ve started to put them in notes on my iPad....I know better than to think I will remember any of them.

I am enjoying reading your blog, and so happy for you both that you get a “do-over” for that Royal Suite after the terrible disappointment you experienced before.  👍🏻👍🏻

Joanie

I agree Joanie -   I have been jotting them down in an Excel spreadsheet.    Going back and reading the blog to find them again is a pain.    That is what I did last time to find the recommendations.   I sometimes Text myself reminders e.g. books, peoples room numbers etc.

15 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Hi Jim,

We're staying at Embassy Suites 2 days prior to 9/17 cruise.  Do they still have the nice breakfast and social hour?  I thought there must be some changes due to Covid.

I'm not sure of the Social Hour as we didn't arrive until 11:00 PM but I suspect they would have the drinks and maybe served snacks.   They are very safety conscious.

Breakfast is still included but it has been modified for Covid protocols.      No cooked to order eggs, but instead have pre-cooked scrambled eggs, Bacon and Sausage.    Coffee and juice is the only thing self serve.    The have a server to dispense juices, milk, fruit yogurt, pastries etc. 

We awoke early and went down at 7:30 and only had 2 people in front of us.   I later went down for a coffee refill (my coffee maker was broken and the line for the eggs stretched all the way to the elevator.

They have updated arrival process to pre-checkin via the Hilton App.    You can register any time the day of arrival and when you reach the property you activate an electronic Key on your smart phone.     Just walk in and go to your room      When ready to depart you just push the checkout button.    No need to even go to the front desk. 

15 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

That's looks wonderful!  I'd love to have a hot tub on our balcony.  How are they handling the hot tubs by the pools?  Is there a reduced limit on # of people allowed in the hot tub at once?  

I used my hot tub on the Balcony last night and found it really enjoyable.     I heard there was a limit of 3 at a time but have not seen a sign or anyone enforcing.    When we went by for lunch in Aqua yesterday there was no one in any 4 spas around the pool and 3 people in the one in Aqua Spa    The Aqua pool didn't have a soul in it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

The same room service door hanger is in concierge class, too.

Thanks for confirmation.    On one cruise I was walking inside due to rain  and I thought I saw the stateroom attendant had the same one in Concierge and Aqua.     I'll see if I can come up with the door hanger for other door hanger.

15 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I have used the Card Room on one cruise.  I found I got better WiFi speeds there than in our cabin.  

I think they improved the internet when they did the Revolution.   In my room I have a full 5 bars.   We had the same cabin on Silhouette and the internet was so poor they installed a router in my room. 

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Daniel Silva - Gabriel Allon series

Another of my favorites! Haven’t yet read the latest.

I also enjoy books by Alan Furst. His books are predominantly set in WWII Europe. Though some minor characters appear in more than one book, it’s not necessary to read most of them in any particular order. 

There’s also M. L. Longworth’s Verlaque and Bonnett series, which is set in contemporary Aix-en-Provence.

• Like 1

Private Journey by Celebrity

Has anyone every used Private Journey to schedule a private tour?    We have lots of OBC and don't want to do the ships tours.     The remainder of the ports will be curated tours only.    If so what was the range of prices and any recommendation on these ports appreciated

St. Lucia

St. Maarten

St Kitts and Nevis

I was thinking of an iPad but unless I misunderstood the apple agent they ones they have aboard are Gen 7.   When I asked for a price list she said the only one she had was in her head.   I will reconfirm later today.

15 hours ago, ymncruise said:

Yes, I think it will work next time. I had just switched to T-Mobile and probably didn’t have a setting right. Also, I was using the included internet plan so that may have been part of the problem. If it doesn’t work with the included internet, I’m going to try using my captains club minutes. That worked for me before when I had Verizon but I didn’t think to try it. On one of the islands, T-Mobile sent a pop up offering service for $5 for 24 hours. I can’t remember if it was for st Maarten or Nassau. 

I have one of those plans with T-Mobile that give you intentional roaming at 3G speed or an upgraded high speed.     It is good enough for WhatsAPP.    

I made a facetime call yesterday to my daughter and the voice was a bit choppy.    This was just before dinner and I think a lot of PAX were on the internet.

• Like 2