Has swinging napkins overhead for dining room parade been disbanded?

Cruisinhopes

Love Princess, and love the parade of desserts with the introduction of the wonderful dining staff.  However, the encouraged practice of swinging used napkins overhead, while looking festive, has always made me cringe.  It guarantees germs are sent airborne.

Will someone who has cruised Princess post-Covid please tell us if this custom has been deleted?  We won’t be cruising until 2022, but would really like to know.

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Cruisinhopes said:

Love Princess, and love the parade of desserts with the introduction of the wonderful dining staff.  However, the encouraged practice of swinging used napkins overhead, while looking festive, has always made me cringe.  It guarantees germs are sent airborne.

Will someone who has cruised Princess post-Covid please tell us if this custom has been deleted?  We won’t be cruising until 2022, but would really like to know.

Thank you.

Do you have a link for this information?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruisinhopes said:

Thank you.

Spare me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TracieABD said:

I have never seen this on Princess… other cruise lines- yes- but Princess~ thankfully no. 

Unfortunately I have seen it on Princess several times from around 2017 onwards. Prior to that it didn't "feature" on Princess. I think it has been imported by people who are used to cruising on other lines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruisinhopes said:

Thank you.

Was in full swing last night.  I’ve been traveling with Princess for almost 20 years and never recalled the swinging napkin thing before last night.  

Edited by 4cats4me

14 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

Was in full swing last night.  I’ve been traveling with Princess for almost 20 years and never recalled the swinging napkin thing before last night.  

I have seen it many times on recent Princess cruises.  I seem to recall more than one staff member encouraging it and it being announced on the PA system.  I don't participate - call me a party pooper.

• Thanks 1

Its happened on every Princess cruise we have been on in traditional dining  and we have been cruising for almost 30 years.   As others have said if you don't like it don't participate.   

• Like 12

2 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

Disgusting!!!  After all the CDC rules, they pull a stunt like this.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thorpe said:

Never bothered me as it’s just a bit of light hearted fun for staff and passengers to thank the hard working staff. As with all things , if you don’t like it , don’t participate . 

Spot on. Spreading germs - what garbage.

• Like 2

Thoughts and comments:

-Don't believe swinging of napkins really spreads germs.

-With ATD in the past it was hit or miss that you would get the parade and all the hype during your dining time.

-With so many booking b2bs the final night is just another night.

-Entire program was tacky. Encouraging ratings to be excellent isn't the way to go in my opinion.

-With DMW, passengers dining at all different times with different wait staff, hopefully this entire practice will be placed into the cruise history books.

• Like 3

We started cruising Princess in 2012.  I don't remember if I saw it then but I certainly have seen it EVERY last night of a cruise segment during the baked alaska parade.  We always eat in Anytime dining, usually go in between 6:00 and 6:30 pm.  I think it is a fun touch but I think now that we are all more aware of germs it might be time to say goodbye.

• Like 3

On the initial return to service for the Majestic, they indeed had the Baked Alaska parade and we did notice one large table towards the back of the dining room swinging their napkins in the air.  I saw no other tables participate in the napkin swinging.  
We’ve been cruising with Princess since the mid nineties and have seen the fanfare take place on every cruise on baked Alaska night in the MDR.  They used to announce to wave your napkins in the air … this time they said, put your hands together to show the staff your appreciation.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pris993 said:

lol

no kidding. First post and this is what he/she comes up with. Kinda like yelling bombs away in a crowded restroom 

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Besides on some but thankfully not many cruise ships, have you ever seen this ridiculous behavior on any land based restaurant?

DON

That's not a fair comparison, because the event is there to mark the end of a cruise. Not the end of a dinner. 

In a land based restaurants, the restaurant owner doesn't come on the speakers to say that we had such good times together, doesn't thank his waiters and cooks, there is not a traditional desert to celebrate, and the waiters and cooks don't start singing goodbye and we'll see you again. 

Then again, it surely is ridiculous in COVID times. And it should be widely known by now that singing is a super spread event unless 0.0% is infected, especially if you put a lot of pax and crew in a confined space and let the crew sing from above. Pre-COVID I have compared shaking hand with Captains to a well designed tradition to spread Noro, I wonder if CDC has a registration of people who report they were on a ship 5 days ago.

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

On the initial return to service for the Majestic, they indeed had the Baked Alaska parade and we did notice one large table towards the back of the dining room swinging their napkins in the air.  I saw no other tables participate in the napkin swinging.  
We’ve been cruising with Princess since the mid nineties and have seen the fanfare take place on every cruise on baked Alaska night in the MDR.  They used to announce to wave your napkins in the air … this time they said, put your hands together to show the staff your appreciation.  

6 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Why not swing your masks overhead as a tribute to Covid?

If I get stuck eating in the MDR, we try to bail before the parades and such.  Not our cup of tea.

Baked Alaska  parade  occurred before anyone 

at our table had even placed orders, so napkins not yet contaminated.  

12 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Disgusting!!!  After all the CDC rules, they pull a stunt like this.

DON

Clapping would have been better.  

I  think swinging napkins are the least of our worries.  

• Like 1