The Daily for Monday October 04, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I have a feeling when Koningsdam leaves San Diego she will have passengers but not revenue cruise as the rumor I've heard is there will be a test cruise. 

It isn’t really a rumor. Seth Wayne posted on FB that he will be on the Koningsdam test sailing embarking today for 6 days.  He asked what people were interested in seeing. Then he is going to stay onboard for our cruise which sails Sunday but he mentioned that he has to leave early to go to Europe. I’m guessing he will leave when we get to San Francisco. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I like watching golf, like frappes, and child health is important. Also it's my birthday!

Interesting quote.

I like  Manhattan clam chowder more than New England. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I've been to Greece, but not Mykonos. Thanks for the pictures.

I have a routine Cardiology appointment this afternoon. Then out to dinner in the early evening. Hopefully the restaurant won't be too full. It's raining, so not sure about any outside seating. They predict rain through Friday.

@Seasick Sailor Thinking of Allen and you today. Prayers for a successful surgery.

@grapau27 That pizza looks great.

@dfish Good luck with the x-rays; mine sure showed stuff I wasn't expecting, but I think PT is helping.

@mamaofami It sounds like you all had a wonderful day yesterday. 

@smitty34877 I'm glad to hear the DGC and DDIL are feeling better, also Tana and Miss Camilla.

@HAL4NOW I went to school in Boston and was shocked when I first ordered a milkshake and there was no ice cream in it. I found out if I wanted ice cream I needed to order a frappe.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask.

Happy New Year! May it be filled with laughter, love, great health and a cruise!

B790FAAA-714D-4CB1-8950-A4076BEA5BD5.jpeg

• Like 20

3 hours ago, summer slope said:

I don't want to start a thread but will ask my "family". Does the Lido serve the same menu for dinner that the MDR does?

Here is one of the Koningsdam Lido Dinner menus from the Navigator app:

3FFBE522-69B6-45DE-9B03-F2F6F692F80F.thumb.jpeg.1c0216a7a24e71860b478ac94d702520.jpeg

88F8AD7A-0FCC-4505-A0D0-8BA0408EF4FB.thumb.jpeg.545484d3cb5a0dcf36b80dd7f9934106.jpeg

There are only a few cross-overs that are also on the MDR menu, like the Seafood Diablo plus some desserts. The menu on the app hasn’t changed for days but I’m hoping it will this week since the test cruise sails today. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Usually, I hate to be negative, but right now I'm THRILLED!! Got my covid test done this morning, so I'm all ready to board the NA on Wednesday!

@aliaschief I'm signed up for main dining, so it's nice to hear that it's not crowded. I'm looking forward to joining you soon!

Edi

• Like 25

5 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

3FFBE522-69B6-45DE-9B03-F2F6F692F80F.thumb.jpeg.1c0216a7a24e71860b478ac94d702520.jpeg

88F8AD7A-0FCC-4505-A0D0-8BA0408EF4FB.thumb.jpeg.545484d3cb5a0dcf36b80dd7f9934106.jpeg

There are only a few cross-overs that are also on the MDR menu, like the Seafood Diablo plus some desserts. The menu on the app hasn’t changed for days but I’m hoping it will this week since the test cruise sails today. 

Thanks for posting that Sharon.  My experience was B.C. (Before Covid).

Didn’t mean to take you down the garden path / mislead  @summer slope

• Like 12

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Time to start moving and get ready for breakfast. Rudy our waiter yesterday presenting the rolls, muffins tray made us all laugh when he said “Buy one get one free!”

We loved Rudy at breakfast in the PG!  Tell him Craig and Sharon say hi. Craig always had Earl Grey tea and waffles, extra whipped cream, and Sharon always had half orders. 😉

Enjoy!

• Like 13

4 hours ago, dfish said:

I'm going for x-rays of my right him and lumbar region of the back today, just to make sure there isn't something else going on in there.  Then, to the pool.

Do you still have a part 2 of the painful procedure that brought you relief or is this a substitute for that?  Prayers for a great outcome.

And Happy Birthday @JazzyV.

Roy

• Like 19

Good morning and thanks all!  happy birthday @JazzyV

We’ve been to Mykonos three times,   The first time we nearly didn’t make it to port,  the waves had been crashing up to the eighth deck, the meltemi winds were blowing causing the ship to list and some ships lost most of their dishes.   The second time,  our beach bags were packed and ready to go ashore,  and we saw Mykonos come and go.  Third time lucky.   We have spent several months in Greece and Mykonos is not our favourite as it is over touristy but we snuck away to a nice little beach.  
We had a friendly goose! Not sure why he’s upside down! 

image.thumb.jpeg.fc213b3c7266db482e451ec0142b1660.jpeg

09447C7A-BF6F-4B71-9DB1-397267E56BC6.jpeg

B0879584-05D3-485A-983F-715558A3834F.jpeg

DF484712-5C5B-4897-A706-9876E8D5B350.jpeg

A424947A-1A7A-4D77-8E52-34AE6BF03B98.jpeg

BA14969A-F669-4D8C-9C46-79D7832C6203.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

We visited Mykonos in 2012 onboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. Mykonos's nickname is "The Island of the Winds", due to the very strong winds that usually blow on the island. Tourism is a major industry and Mykonos is known for its vibrant nightlife and for being a gay-friendly destination with many establishments catering for the LGBT community.

It is also a popular cruise ship port, and it looks like there was at least 3 ships visiting the day we were there.
image.png.8fa49bed7facd3176349979c1a687382.png

The main dock area where the tenders dock.

image.png.6bc82ddbfb7b6ede2615a08744ffc08c.png

Being primarily a tourist destination, there are many open air restaurants.

image.png.23f184630c2d256038604a01fd4b3695.png

And street musicians.

image.png.c61500f50acabab30198f644ea4be500.png

There is an abundance of churches because, for many years, the islanders were required to build a church on their land before building a house.

1411811367_Myko7ax.jpg.001d9e7f2041918d1b418ab628064352.jpg

At the end of the day, there was the expected long lineup to catch a tender back to the ship.

image.png.164ab94cdc5da81a1296481a0eaec40d.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Great collection of days today. Thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to those on the Care list. 

We love clam chowder in our household but I’ve never made it from scratch. I’ve found the best store bought is at Trader Joe’s in the fresh case. With an extra pat of butter on top and oyster crackers on the side, yum!  

What beautiful pictures of Mykonos!  Thanks to everyone who shared their pictures. We’ve been to Greece but not Mykonos. I’d love to see the windmills. 

It’s going to be a glorious week and extra busy as we get all our final things done for our cruise. We fly on Saturday and sail on Sunday. Yay!  Very excited about our Neptune Suite. And like Linda @lindalersaid I’m excited to meet some Daily friends. If the internet is better like @aliaschief said it is on the Nieuw Amsterdam I’m hoping I can post more…….food, of course. 😉

@JazzyV Happy Birthday Vanessa!  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24

Happy birthday, @JazzyV!   I’m happy for the other good news on the thread today, too, Tana improving, Sam partying, even if Camilla won’t open her eyes for us!  

Well, today is the day for us!  Heading off soon to have our COVID tests on our way to the airport.  Just hope the timing works.

Martha and Tony are on their way to the airport in Toronto and Jacqui, @kazu, J&J are already in Venice.  Jane writes that it is warm and they are sitting by the pool at their hotel.  She said the flight to Frankfurt was less than half full.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I like watching golf, like frappes, and child health is important. Also it's my birthday!

Interesting quote.

I like  Manhattan clam chowder more than New England. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I've been to Greece, but not Mykonos. Thanks for the pictures.

I have a routine Cardiology appointment this afternoon. Then out to dinner in the early evening. Hopefully the restaurant won't be too full. It's raining, so not sure about any outside seating. They predict rain through Friday.

@Seasick Sailor Thinking of Allen and you today. Prayers for a successful surgery.

@grapau27 That pizza looks great.

@dfish Good luck with the x-rays; mine sure showed stuff I wasn't expecting, but I think PT is helping.

@mamaofami It sounds like you all had a wonderful day yesterday. 

@smitty34877 I'm glad to hear the DGC and DDIL are feeling better, also Tana and Miss Camilla.

@HAL4NOW I went to school in Boston and was shocked when I first ordered a milkshake and there was no ice cream in it. I found out if I wanted ice cream I needed to order a frappe.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask.

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday today and good luck at your cardiologist appointment.

Graham 

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Martha and Tony are on their way to the airport in Toronto and Jacqui, @kazu, J&J are already in Venice.  Jane writes that it is warm and they are sitting by the pool at their hotel.  She said the flight to Frankfurt was less than half full.  

Jane by the pool?  I am shocked!  Shocked, I tell you, shocked. 🤣😂

Please say hi for me to the 4 of them - T & M and J & J and best wishes for you all.  I just know you are all going to have a blast.  My very best wishes even though I am admittedly very jealous.

• Like 14

50 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Usually, I hate to be negative, but right now I'm THRILLED!! Got my covid test done this morning, so I'm all ready to board the NA on Wednesday!

@aliaschief I'm signed up for main dining, so it's nice to hear that it's not crowded. I'm looking forward to joining you soon!

Edi

I hope you have a fabulous cruise Edi.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lindaler said:

I read on my phone but it wouldn't let me post at all on CC today.  Hopefully when we are all floating around out in the Pacific in a few days I will be able to post. If not then after Saturday or Sunday I may be absent for a bit even if I can read and stay current. The clouds today are broken and creating a beautiful display for my viewing pleasure but it is again cold. I woke too early so was counting the days between getting off the Rotterdam and getting on the Koningsdag in a few days.  547 days without a BHB under my feet. I am getting excited. And can't wait to meet face to face some of my Dailyite family members. 

I hope your cruise is amazing.

Graham 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning everyone. Just awakening here on the Pacific. Another sea day which we love.

As I mentioned yesterday we had our first dining in MDR. Very few diners at late fixed which we have been experiencing on previous cruises. If social distancing is your thing then try late fixed. Meal was fine and the wine was poured by our head waiter as quickly as if we had wine stewards.

I know many are anti phone and Navigator App but we really like it and find it very helpful.

Time to start moving and get ready for breakfast. Rudy our waiter yesterday presenting the rolls, muffins tray made us all laugh when he said “Buy one get one free!”

Thanks to all.

We like the late seating, so that will suit us fine.   

My first time on the Koningsdam, they didn't use the pastry trays in the dining room, but just put some of the selections on your table in a basket.  When I asked the DR manager, he said they didn't have enough staff.  Hopefully with less that full capacity, you are getting the trays and better service again.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Hello everyone and thank you all for the Daily!

We have always preferred eating dinner in the MDR....once in awhile if there was an event we wanted to catch during our fixed dining time we would eat in the Lido. On my last cruise (Koningsdam) since the Lido on that ship is so much bigger there were so many offerings as you can see by above menu that we found we had dinner there most days and only ate in MDR twice! Hoping my next cruise is on the Rotterdam.....

• Like 16

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

If you enjoy hearing the ships whistle than you would love being

on the MS Nieuw Amsterdam. Very dense fog and the whistle has been blasting away all morning.

This reminds me of a New England cruise on the Veendam.  We came out from happy hour in the Crows Nest and went to the elevators.  It was very foggy and the ships horn was blasting away.  When the horn blew the outside doors opened.  At first we thought we had too many adult beverages.  Sure enough it repeated.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 7