Celebrity MDR - social distancing?

Zhaan

What is the seating like on Celebrity ships in the MDR (main dining room) since the restart after COVID? We've done "dining anytime" on previous (pre-COVID) cruises and loved it, but as a couple, while at our own table, there was usually a couple on either side of us at their own table and our tables were so close it was like sitting at the same table. Have the tables been spaced out any and/or will they allow requests to be seated with some space from other guests? While I am vaccinated, I have a compromised immune system, so we haven't gone back to indoor dining in restaurants yet and we have a Celebrity cruise in November. I still plan to wear a mask (even though not required) any time I'm inside, but obviously I can't do that while eating. 

I know I can get room service, but I really enjoy the MDR, so I'm hoping I can safely eat there as well. Thanks!

I've not eaten in MDR but did take a look.   The tables are placed in same location as pre-covid but on seating they appeared to be placing most diners at a social distance.   Having said that at prime times it looked like many were within 1-2 feet of another table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Having said that at prime times it looked like many were within 1-2 feet of another table.

Certainly not on Select dining on Silhouette in August. There was an empty table on either side of us.There was no opportunity to speak to anyone, without shouting.

• Like 1

No, they do not socially distance the tables, especially during lunch. We got tagged as being a close contact of a covid positive case in August. My suggestion is when they seat someone within 6 ft of your table, get up and walk away!!! It's not worth the aftermath!

• Thanks 1

I have to qualify what I’m about to say as we were in a SS on the Edge on a B3B in August rather than dining in a MDR. But, here’s how we were able to get a table for 2 away from everyone, every time we ate in Luminae.

Initially, we wanted to sit at a table for 2 by the window thinking social distancing between tables would be applied, especially with the ship sailing at only at 31% capacity. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. In our situation there were three tables for 2 in each window row. On our first seating we sat by the window. Yay!

They then sat someone at the table next to us even though the 3rd table in the row was still available. Within the first 30 seconds the lady next to my DW coughed twice. Not good. The next day we were seated at the 3rd table in the window row with the 2nd table open between us with folks seated at the table next to the window. That was cool until they sat a couple shortly afterwards in the 2nd table. Within the first minute the lady next to me coughed 2-3 times with her DW asking are you OK?

That was it. After they left, we asked our assistant waiter if we could be seated at a table somewhere in Luminae for the duration of the cruise that was away from everyone. All of a sudden, sitting near the window was no longer an issue. But passing the antigen tests to go on the next leg of our B3B was. He called the head waiter over who then called the maitre d’ over and before we knew it, they found the perfect table. Yes, it was no where near a window, but for the next 19 days when we arrived to eat, they had our table waiting for us. But I will also mention, we usually ate at the same time every morning and evening, so that helped them keep our table reserved.

My point being speak to the MDR maitre d’ on your first visit to the MDR and simply ask if you can be seated away from everyone for whatever reason you choose to share with him, but emphasize the location is not an issue (such as a table by the window). As they say, beggars can’t be choosy. This, of course, is just a suggestion, but you might be surprised how accommodating they can be if you’re willing to work with them. 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Zhaan said:

Have the tables been spaced out any and/or will they allow requests to be seated with some space from other guests?

Explain your situation to the Maitre D' and ask to be seated away from other passengers. I have no doubt that they would accommodate you. Stay safe and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, stunned said:

WHAT?
 Are they to stay home forever because others don’t understand the world isn’t all about themselves!

I don’t know what they should do. I just know I wouldn’t sail with a comprised immune system in a pandemic. Pick a fight with someone else .

• Like 1

Obviously ever person needs to make their own decision.  Personally if I was not comfortable enough to eat inside a restaurant at home, I am not sure I would be comfortable dining inside on a cruise ship.  (Or doing other activities).  But there are a lot of outdoor dining options and room service.  

On the other hand, you do know that everyone has recently tested negative and are fully vaccinated.  

10 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Obviously ever person needs to make their own decision.  Personally if I was not comfortable enough to eat inside a restaurant at home, I am not sure I would be comfortable dining inside on a cruise ship.  (Or doing other activities).  But there are a lot of outdoor dining options and room service.  

On the other hand, you do know that everyone has recently tested negative and are fully vaccinated.  

This is the key difference between eating indoors at home and eating in the MDR on a cruise ship right now. At home, there is no way to know if the people around you are vaccinated, have ever been tested, or maybe even tested positive recently! On a cruise ship, you can at least be assured that everyone is vaccinated and has tested negative within the past few days.

That being said, with ships sailing at such low capacity, there are plenty of tables available in the MDR and if you prefer to be seated apart from the crowd, I am confident they will be able to accommodate you. There is no enforced social distancing in the MDRs, but I am sure they will allow for social distancing if you desire it.

• Like 2

We just got off 9 nts. on the Equinox.  We had anytime dining and told the receptionist we want to social distance and each night she held the same table for 2 along the railing back by the wine tower. She made sure no one sat near us. 

Others had no problem sitting at a large table or tables for 2 next to each other. 

Make your wishes known. They are very accommodating. As previously stated the ships are half full and at 7 pm there was plenty of room to spread out.

• Like 2

Hi!  I was on the Equinox for the October 8th sailing.   We were Aqua so ate in Blu. However, we did have lunch in the MDR on one sea day and the tables are spaced the same as they have always been.  They fill them without social distancing but just ask to sit away from others and they will accommodate your request.   In Blu, that's what we did as well.  Blu seemed booked to capacity.  There were two round tables on the right by the white sculpture flower wall as you walk in and we dined there every night we ate in Blu with the same servers with plenty of space around us with noone right up against us.  We gave an estimated time and they were extremely accommodating.   The two nights we ate in specialty restaurants,  we told them the night before so they didn't have to hold our table those nights.  I am sure you can do the same in the MDR.  😃

🍹

I always ask to share a table when on a cruise. It's a great way to meet new people . I plan to ask to share tables the MDR on my upcoming Millennium cruise. I'd hate to have to eat with just my husband for 10 days. 😜

Edited by susiesan

26 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I always ask to share a table when on a cruise. It's a great way to meet new people . I plan to ask to share tables the MDR on my upcoming Millennium cruise. I'd hate to have to eat with just my husband for 10 days. 😜

They were offering sharing tables on the Equinox when I sailed in late July.

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

They were offering sharing tables on the Equinox when I sailed in late July.

On the Edge end of August I could not get a shared table by just walking in by myself. If I walked into a restaurant with someone or knew someone already sitting down then I could share.

14 minutes ago, kelib said:

On the Edge end of August I could not get a shared table by just walking in by myself. If I walked into a restaurant with someone or knew someone already sitting down then I could share.

Oh no! I really enjoyed the sharing tables on my Equinox sailing and was looking forward to them on my Summit sailing next month, since I will be sailing solo again.

On 10/17/2021 at 1:33 PM, Zhaan said:

What is the seating like on Celebrity ships in the MDR (main dining room) since the restart after COVID? We've done "dining anytime" on previous (pre-COVID) cruises and loved it, but as a couple, while at our own table, there was usually a couple on either side of us at their own table and our tables were so close it was like sitting at the same table. Have the tables been spaced out any and/or will they allow requests to be seated with some space from other guests? While I am vaccinated, I have a compromised immune system, so we haven't gone back to indoor dining in restaurants yet and we have a Celebrity cruise in November. I still plan to wear a mask (even though not required) any time I'm inside, but obviously I can't do that while eating. 

I know I can get room service, but I really enjoy the MDR, so I'm hoping I can safely eat there as well. Thanks!

Nope changes in seating.   However, if they are not full, they make an effort to space people out. Although I have also seen while sections marked off so that staff are not spread too thin. I last sailed this past July.

On 10/17/2021 at 1:33 PM, Zhaan said:

Another big problem on a cruise ( or any hi-rise) is the elevators.  We live in a building and everyone respects those who wish to be alone in the elevator. I'd like to see what would happen if you told cruisers they couldn't get on with you. There would be a mutiny! I would look for a safer vacation environment. I wish you the best.