Carnival sold me Bermuda but is giving me Freeport

Ilovesailaway

I would be pissed. I live in Deltona, Florida.. if I wanted to do a Bahamas cruise I'd cruise out locally. I'm flying to Baltimore in May 2022 for Bermuda. I hope they figure out what needs to be done to be able to do sail there and if not, notify us so we can have time to make necessary arrangements.

9 hours ago, matymil said:

Thats it? Maybe its because we traveled with a kid so we noticed it more but id say there was at least several dozen young kids on our Magic cruise afew weeks ago.

That's all I saw in 8 days of people watching. There were about 15-20 teens but they were of vaccination age.

Has carnival completed any Bermuda itineraries yet? Norwegian is doing them so they can be done. They run all their ships 100% vaccinated (so no kids under 12), and the Bermuda sailings do require extra steps. But they can be done.

so it sounds like carnival is shifting 100% of the cruisers to the Bahamas instead of shifting 5% to a different sailing. I would be upset too. This is a financial decision for carnival, not something that they had no control over like weather or last minute rule changes.

4 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Has carnival completed any Bermuda itineraries yet? Norwegian is doing them so they can be done. They run all their ships 100% vaccinated (so no kids under 12), and the Bermuda sailings do require extra steps. But they can be done.

The problem is that Bermuda also requires 100% vaccination for all cruise ship passengers just like what Norwegian, Crystal and Viking requires for their cruises

Carnival does not sail a fully vaccinated ship due to kids. Since they are unvaccinated guest onboard the ship, Bermuda does not want this

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, shof515 said:

The problem is that Bermuda also requires 100% vaccination for all cruise ship passengers just like what Norwegian, Crystal and Viking requires for their cruises

Carnival does not sail a fully vaccinated ship due to kids. Since they are unvaccinated guest onboard the ship, Bermuda does not want this

right. But since carnival allows only 5% unvaccinated. They would inconvenience many fewer people to make their Bermuda sailing 100% vaccinated than to make their Bermuda sailing a Bahamas sailing. 100% affected vs 5-10%. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BRWolf said:

Just curious llovesailaway, is this a 6 or 7 day cruise?

This was a 7 day.

My cruise listed on other travel sites stated it was a 100% vaccinated cruise.

NCL has been doing this cruise out of NYC since 9/26. They were able to assist their passengers to meet the Bermuda requirements. 

Of course I don't know what efforts Carnival put into trying to save this cruise but when I pointed out the Bermuda requirements to my PVP it was the first he had heard of them. I heard from another passenger who's PVP also had no idea Bermuda had more restrictive requirements. 

Then to switch us to Nassau (under construction) Freeport (gas station) and Princess Cays just a few weeks prior to departure... ugh!!

I will update when I hear back from PVP but I am inclined to keep this cruise. It is my 3rd attempt to use my FCC and OBC that have accumulated from covid cancelled cruises. I just want to clear the books with Carnival and start over.

I also find it funny that this Bahamas itinerary out of Baltimore Typically costs less than half of the Bermuda cruise I had booked. When they switched us to Bahamas the price to sail stayed at the Bermuda rate. The one after ours... less than half. I'm tired of rearranging hotels, days off, logistics, dog sitter.... I will keep my week and make the most of the drink package I guess.

While Bermuda may seem to be a more desirable itinerary than the Bahamas, there are several factors that make a cruise to the Bermuda less desirable any time of the year.

First is where the ship is docked. Bermuda now has most ships docked out at the isolated dock of the  the Royal Naval Shipyard. Gone are the days when a ship would dock in St George and Hamilton where one could easily access the different parts of the island.

At the Royal Naval Shipyard,  it will take time to travel, by ferry or bus, to the different parts of the island. Think twenty minutes by ferry to Hamilton, longer by bus.  To get to St George, plan on at least two hours.

Of course, many will plan to head to the beach. Remember, Bermuda is off the coast of the Carolinas and the Atlantic Ocean water will be cool in November.

On the other hand, water temperature in the Bahamas will be warmer for beach goers.

At least on the Bahamas itinerary, there will be a change in scenery  at the different ports without the time consuming transportation of Bermuda.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

Just a note that in addition to the fully vaccinated requirement, Bermuda has additional requirements for cruise passengers, including a negative PCR test before the cruise, plus additional required testing at the pier. NCL is working with their passengers to make sure this is done. It's possible that Carnival decided that they didn't want to put their customers through the additional testing.

20 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Carnival is only selling a cruise. The ports are a plan, not a guarantee. I do not agree to OBC for this. However, I think they should offer a cancellation by a specific date penalty free.

Yes, but if someone pays $3600 for a Bermuda cruise and they get switched to a $2000 Bahamas itinerary then there should be some compensation. (I did price our balcony cabin on the Bermuda itinerary a couple months ago and it was $3600. Not what we paid but I can see why some folks are very mad.)

16 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, but if someone pays $3600 for a Bermuda cruise and they get switched to a $2000 Bahamas itinerary then there should be some compensation. (I did price our balcony cabin on the Bermuda itinerary a couple months ago and it was $3600. Not what we paid but I can see why some folks are very mad.)

I guess I should whine and complain to. I got a VIFP offer for a new booking that is $1,000 less than my current one. They changed us from St Kitts to Amber Cove. I deserve massive OBC, massive discounts, and massive payback for being so cruel!!! I want my $2,000 cruise price, my OBC, and I want it now...time to call JG Wentworth and scream at them!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

This was a 7 day.

My cruise listed on other travel sites stated it was a 100% vaccinated cruise.

NCL has been doing this cruise out of NYC since 9/26. They were able to assist their passengers to meet the Bermuda requirements. 

Of course I don't know what efforts Carnival put into trying to save this cruise but when I pointed out the Bermuda requirements to my PVP it was the first he had heard of them. I heard from another passenger who's PVP also had no idea Bermuda had more restrictive requirements. 

Then to switch us to Nassau (under construction) Freeport (gas station) and Princess Cays just a few weeks prior to departure... ugh!!

I will update when I hear back from PVP but I am inclined to keep this cruise. It is my 3rd attempt to use my FCC and OBC that have accumulated from covid cancelled cruises. I just want to clear the books with Carnival and start over.

I also find it funny that this Bahamas itinerary out of Baltimore Typically costs less than half of the Bermuda cruise I had booked. When they switched us to Bahamas the price to sail stayed at the Bermuda rate. The one after ours... less than half. I'm tired of rearranging hotels, days off, logistics, dog sitter.... I will keep my week and make the most of the drink package I guess.

It's always good to make lemon drops out of lemons

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I guess I should whine and complain to. I got a VIFP offer for a new booking that is $1,000 less than my current one. They changed us from St Kitts to Amber Cove. I deserve massive OBC, massive discounts, and massive payback for being so cruel!!! I want my $2,000 cruise price, my OBC, and I want it now...time to call JG Wentworth and scream at them!

If you can't understand why people are upset you can't. I can. 

• Like 6

Similar situation happened to us about 3 years ago. There was a Hurricane, but our itinerary did not change until we hit the ocean on our 1st sea day. we were told Bermuda was flooded and without power, so we would be going to the Bahamas. Bermuda was much more expensive than a similar Bahamas cruise. I believe we were offered OBC, but it did not make up the difference. Near the end of the cruise, we found out the Hurricane never even hit Bermuda...

On 10/23/2021 at 8:33 PM, Jim and Monika said:

Similar situation happened to us about 3 years ago. There was a Hurricane, but our itinerary did not change until we hit the ocean on our 1st sea day. we were told Bermuda was flooded and without power, so we would be going to the Bahamas. Bermuda was much more expensive than a similar Bahamas cruise. I believe we were offered OBC, but it did not make up the difference. Near the end of the cruise, we found out the Hurricane never even hit Bermuda...

Yea this happened on our cruise too (luckily tho our cruise was to Bermuda local here in Florida). But that was a last minute thing. This tho.. they have time to plan darn it and let us know so we can make changes!

Well, so far the OP has not indicated how this was resolved.  From my experience, Carnival will allow them to cancel and at least move all the $$ to another cruise of their choice without any problem whatsoever.

During the Covid restart, one better be able to roll with the punches.  If that's asking too much, then cruising ain't for you right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Well, so far the OP has not indicated how this was resolved.  From my experience, Carnival will allow them to cancel and at least move all the $$ to another cruise of their choice without any problem whatsoever.

During the Covid restart, one better be able to roll with the punches.  If that's asking too much, then cruising ain't for you right now.

I believe they are allowing this, but you have to ask for it. I have seen a letter giving everyone $150 obc per cabin, but I haven't received mine yet. 

On 10/22/2021 at 8:44 AM, nlktx49 said:

Reimburse you for the cost of the cruise, flights to port, new clothes you bought for cruise, etc. plus emotional stress caused by this! 

Reimburse you for clothes purchased and "emotional stress" ???!   For real?   LOL!

• Haha 6

Changing ports is one thing, but this really is apples and oranges, especially since they offer the identical itinerary for a lower price.  I know the cruise contract allows this and almost anything else, and I am on the cruise line's side in many cases, but not this one. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 10:17 AM, jsglow said:

I have not inquired about canceling for a refund or FCC. To be honest I just want to clear the books with Carnival. I have been rolling with those punches during my 2 canceled cruises and now this total itinerary switch. I have FCC and OBC to burn through to clean the slate. I don't want any more delays or surprises. I will make the most of this cruise but it is disappointing. Right now I am most looking forward to being back on a ship. I am also excited to be the first cruise on Legend for her restart and since her drydock. I will come back with pics to post.

I have heard from others who were booked on this original Bermuda cruise who were able to cancel and get FCC when they switched us to Bahamas.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

I have not inquired about canceling for a refund or FCC. To be honest I just want to clear the books with Carnival. I have been rolling with those punches during my 2 canceled cruises and now this total itinerary switch. I have FCC and OBC to burn through to clean the slate. I don't want any more delays or surprises. I will make the most of this cruise but it is disappointing. Right now I am most looking forward to being back on a ship. I am also excited to be the first cruise on Legend for her restart and since her drydock. I will come back with pics to post.

I have heard from others who were booked on this original Bermuda cruise who were able to cancel and get FCC when they switched us to Bahamas.

So I'm not going to belabor it my friend and I sincerely hope you enjoy your revised itinerary.  But Carnival had really NO CHOICE.  The Bermuda rules are simply one's Carnival isn't in any way prepared to acquiesce  to.  As I type this, NCL pax are locked in their cabin for simply being vaccinated close contacts (at the Production Show) to folks that ended up having their embarkation dockside PCR test (with results coming 2-3 days into the cruise) show up positive.  You read that correctly.  Vaccinated folks with No Symptoms and No positive test are locked in their cabin until disembarkation back in New York because of Bermuda's draconian rules.

I'd say that's curtains for Bermuda for quite some time.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1