The Daily for Thursday October 28, 2021

richwmn

Today is Plush Animal Lover's Day, National Chocolate Day, and Statue of Liberty Dedication Day

It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - H. L. Mencken

Meal suggestion for today - Spaghetti Squash Pepperoni Pizza Boats

Drink of the Day - Mr. Bali Hai

Wine of the day - Chateau du Trignon Cotes du Rhone - France - Red

Destination of the Day - Honningsvag Norway

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Atlantic
Rotterdam

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Costa Maya 00:00 - 24:00

Cannes, FR
Eurodam 07:00 – 17:00

Mazatlan MX
Koningsdam 08:00 - 21:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 10/30
Zuiderdam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 10/29

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay BS
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

1028World.thumb.png.5310f6352c04717c9542a552c3712c7a.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

You had me at chocolate.😁

Interesting quote.

Not sure about the dinner suggestion, I'll wait until I see the recipe.

Hope the drink of the day is tasty, I'm sure the wine is.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.  We've been to Norway but not Honningsvag.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Three nice days to celebrate and especially Chocolate but my own favorite is National First Responders Day.  Mencken's statement strikes me as a bit strange.  I've been to lots of ports in Norway but not Honningsvag.  Waiting to see what @dfish has to say about the meal suggestion.  My alternative today is a bag of chips and ice cream from the lid night snack time.  Sometimes you need to improvise after a 14-hour tour out of Shanghai.

Today’s care list:

57redbird DH awaiting delayed prostate cancer surgery after testing positive
Welfare of furloughed crews
cunorl’s (lymphona) and DH’s (stroke) sisters
kakalina with spreading lung cancer
irishjim DW with broken arm
marshhawk’s DH recovering from vascular surgery
From the rotation:
LaPalma
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard marshhawk and maXEdison
Occasional contributors including woofwoof1
Happy birthday Sara
2 BHB in Everglades Saturday (Cruise for NA, crew changer for NS Fri-Sat)
2 days with SusieKIslandGirl
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Kazu filling in for dfish
Successful MOHS for Allen
StLouisSal finished with drug trial
Several dailyites getting boosters
1Angelcat biopsy complete (awaiting results)
Welcome home Sharon
Vict0riann, sailingdutchy/ Lady President// and Gail& Marty  at sea
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 10

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Interesting collection of days, I know some will be thrilled about chocolate day. I hope to visit the Statue of Liberty next summer.  Funny quote today.  Rather odd sounding meal suggestion today, I can’t wait to see the recipe.  I haven’t been to Norway and look forward to the photos.  Prayers for all on our thankfully shrinking list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today.

• Like 29

Good afternoon.

It has been raining heavily all night.

We are waiting for our lunch.

I have sold chocolate for over 35 years so this is a good day.

Pauline loves her plush toy monkeys.

We are waiting for our lunch so I will post photos later.

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful birthday messages yesterday.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Graham.

IMG-20211028-WA0000.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 33

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  We survived the Nor’easter with just a few branches down, along with lots of leaves.  Other parts were not so lucky.  I’m skeptical about today’s meal suggestion but will wait until @dfish posts the recipes.  Growing up in Chocolate Town USA I appreciate National Chocolate Day.

I found an interesting Alaska cruise tour for 2023.  I reached out to my PCC last night to review and probably book.  It will be DH’s 55 birthday.

I hope that everyone has a good day today.

• Like 31

Another time in Honnisvag on the Ocean Princess in 2011 and the weather was lovely. Here are a few pix from our walk about the town. We also went on a Bird Safari out of town and one of the pix is from our drive to it. It was a great bird watching tour!

Bird Safari Excursion-70.jpg

Bird Safari Excursion-78.jpg

Honningsvag walkabout-18.jpg

Honningsvag walkabout-37.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

As a child I had a lot of plush animals and have a few now. A salute to the Statue of Liberty, she is beautiful. I am definitely a chocolate lover.

Spaghetti squash is a favorite of mine, but will have to see what Debbie @dfish finds as I'm not sure about the pepperoni.

It has been and still is very very windy here, but dry. I'm interested to hear if Sandi @StLouisCruisersis getting the predicted rain down her way this morning.

Have a great Thursday. 

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 28

Greetings all. National chocolate day, I feel compelled to endulge.

Honningsvag, Norway, was a port call on my Ryndam June, 2013, cruise titled as a Norway cruise to the midnight sun, which it was.  We also called at nearby Hammerfest, both of which are close to the Nordkapp, or North Cape, which is a nearly 1000' cliff on the northern coast of Norway.

Honningsvag was burned by the ***, with the exception of the church shown.  It was quite chilly the end of June, and I can't imagine living there during the long cold and dark winter.  By the way, Captain Timmers was our Ryndam Master that cruise, who is now been named as the Rotterdam's new captain.

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

• Like 38
  • Thanks 3

Quick post for the drink of the day.

Mr. Bali Hai:

Originating from the Bali Hai restaurant in San Diego around the 60s. It was named after Mr Bali Hai, the restaurant's statue that prominently sat out front. Typically served in a tiki mug but an old fashioned glass will also work perfectly fine.

A welcome combination of rum, coffee and pineapple that works surprisingly well.

Ingredients

45 ml Dark Jamaican Rum such as Coruba
30 ml Lightly Aged Rum
22.5 ml Mr Black Coffee Liqueur original calls for coffee-infused brandy
45 ml Pineapple Juice
30 ml Lemon Juice
15 ml Simple Syrup
Instructions

Combine all the ingredients into your cocktail shaker
Briefly shake with crushed ice to mix
Pour into a tiki mug (or double old fashioned glass)

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 7.29.20 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Good morning (or afternoon) everyone from a warm and sunny People's Republic of Cork 😁 Currently the sun is shining and it is 14°C/58°F, but the ground is exceptionally wet after a lot of rain and wind last night.  I hope that those on Rotterdam VII were well south of the weather on their cruise.

We have now recovered from our PCDS (Post Cruise Depression Syndrome) and are finally putting away the light, bright summer clothes and wondering why last winter's clothes no longer fit us 😂  (note to self -  if we intend cruising again, then buy more  clothes with high lycra/spandex content!)

We have been to Honningsvag once in 2017 on Rotterdam VI.  It was a last minute decision to book it, and we really enjoyed it.   

Prayers for those on the care list and a great big 'bualadh bos' 👏 to those celebrating.

And I cannot end without thanking Roy and Rich for their dedication to our daily sanity. 👏

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Three nice days to celebrate and especially Chocolate but my own favorite is National First Responders Day.  Mencken's statement strikes me as a bit strange.  I've been to lots of ports in Norway but not Honningsvag.  Waiting to see what @dfish has to say about the meal suggestion.  My alternative today is a bag of chips and ice cream from the lid night snack time.  Sometimes you need to improvise after a 14-hour tour out of Shanghai.

Today’s care list:

57redbird DH awaiting delayed prostate cancer surgery after testing positive
Welfare of furloughed crews
cunorl’s (lymphona) and DH’s (stroke) sisters
kakalina with spreading lung cancer
irishjim DW with broken arm
marshhawk’s DH recovering from vascular surgery
From the rotation:
LaPalma
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard marshhawk and maXEdison
Occasional contributors including woofwoof1
Happy birthday Sara
2 BHB in Everglades Saturday (Cruise for NA, crew changer for NS Fri-Sat)
2 days with SusieKIslandGirl
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Kazu filling in for dfish
Successful MOHS for Allen
StLouisSal finished with drug trial
Several dailyites getting boosters
1Angelcat biopsy complete (awaiting results)
Welcome home Sharon
Vict0riann, sailingdutchy/ Lady President// and Gail& Marty  at sea
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Thursday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days!  I know many will be celebrating chocolate.

6C89A592-F0B8-42F2-A46F-C218AF3FF474.jpeg.64f8c127eb3ea921aa213310d1df3ec8.jpeg

The quote for today seems a bit off to me.  I’m not sure on the meal for today.  I’ll wait for Debbie’s description and ponder the menu for tonight.

BD408BAC-1079-4E02-B3C0-5AA8E29ED5C6.jpeg.d8df67752d71053b0aa5c31b607bef8c.jpeg

I think the worst of our Nor’Easter is over.  We’ll still have big wind gusts today and some rain but it should be much less than yesterday and last night.  I know there are a bunch of branches down and will go out to survey in a bit but I don’t think there is any serious damage for us, thankfully.

Enjoying the pics of Honningsvag.  We’ll be visiting there next year (hopefully).and looking forward to it.  

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that don’t need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone !!!!!!

BB8D1DC8-4E15-473D-9198-7424E147CF39.jpeg.49577d77edef53199457f74b889e8995.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 34
  • Haha 6

I sailed Wind Star transatlantic (Lisbon to Barbados) in November 2014 and my ride to Europe was on QM2.  I stayed pre-cruise at the Harbor House B&B on Staten Island (home of the nyharbor webcam) and my October 28 sunrise is from the B&B:

dawn1028.jpg

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  Chocolate!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family! Not quite as cool this morning, but my cold water was still cool! Rain predicted for at least part of the day, but the worst will be to the North and West of me.

My jabbed arm is a bit sore still. And I moved it around a lot!  But if that’s the worst, I will gladly take it. I even had a reunion with a couple of Zumba pals who were also there for their jabs.  They hadn’t returned to the gym yet, and I have not returned to dance classes, yet. But soon. 

The meal sounds intriguing. I have an early Zoom family meeting to sing Happy Birthday to a spunky 6 year old! Will check back later.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Chateau du Trignon Cotes du Rhone

Not sure which vintage you might come across, but they all share the same very good rating. And prices for available vintages starting at $19.99.  I used the following info for the 2015 vintage, because it included a great deal about the area of origin. 

Wine notes

70% Grenache and 30% Syrah from 30 plus year-old vines in the Plan de Dieu appellation in the Southern Rhone Valley of France. The wine is matured in a combination of concrete vats and oak barrels. 

Sample submitted for review. The Chateau du Trignon Plan de Dieu has an SRP of $15 and is available for for as low as $12. 

From the bottle: Plan De Dieu 

The vineyards of Château du Trignon, one of the most important properties of the region, nestle at the foot of the famous limestone cliffs the Dentelles de Montmirail. The Famille Quiot of Châteauneuf du Pape bring their expertise and investments to maximise the quality these great vineyard sites. 14% Alcohol

Today we've got another excellent wine from the small Plan de Dieu ("Plan of God") appellation, one of the Cotes-du-Rhone Villages allowed to use their name on the label. It's a fabulous little spot for red wine lovers, but we don't typically see a lot of their wines on the shelves. After reviewing the Ferraton Pere et Fils Plan de Dieu just a few weeks ago, we were delighted to come across another tasty example. 

The 2015 Chateau du Trignon Cotes-du-Rhone Villages Plan de Dieu begins with lots of woodsy notes on the nose - it smells wonderful, a bit like a barrel room. You'll also find some pleasing aromas of blackberry and apple plus a little black pepper and spice. The wine tastes smooth, round and soft in the mouth with lots of sweet, fleshy fruit along with licorice, nice herbal touches and spice. The fruit turns a bit tart on the dry, slightly grippy finish of this medium-bodied, easy drinking wine. Lingering touches of apple, berry and spice hang around for a while. Wonderful!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Well, we survived a wild night of storms here along the Gulf. Tornado warnings, flood warnings, high winds and surf.

Visiting the Statue Of Liberty was a bucket list item for me. I’m on a post cruise diet so no chocolate or even worse no wine or drinks of the day!

Quite a few things on my too do list today but it’s nice to start the day off with the Daily. 

Thanks Rich, Roy and all our other guest columnist!

Have a safe and memorable day.

• Like 30

26 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Well, we survived a wild night of storms here along the Gulf. Tornado warnings, flood warnings, high winds and surf.

Visiting the Statue Of Liberty was a bucket list item for me. I’m on a post cruise diet so no chocolate or even worse no wine or drinks of the day!

Quite a few things on my too do list today but it’s nice to start the day off with the Daily. 

Thanks Rich, Roy and all our other guest columnist!

Have a safe and memorable day.

Chief, you have a good day too.

• Like 7

Good morning, everyone!

As tired as I was last night, I couldn't sleep.  Well, I did for a while.  I went to bed around 10:30, fell right to sleep and then woke up at 12:30 and couldn't get back to sleep until 3:00.  Grrrrr.   I hate those nights!  

I have a follow up doctor's appointment from my back procedure a couple of weeks ago, but other than that the day is free, free, free.   I think I'll get some chocolate.  

I've been to Honningsvag and went out to Nordkapp.  It was all fogged in, of course, and we could see nothing.  I did like the trolls.  

Tonight's supper is an easy fix and you can be creative.  Don't like pepperoni?   Don't put it on.  Use something else.  Want bacon instead?  Go for it.  The recipe is an idea and you can expand it.  This is also a way for those of us watching carbs to enjoy those pizza flavors without all the carbs.   I've made the pizza with cauliflower crust before and it is pretty good.  In fact, my niece and nephew gave it a thumbs up.  This is another way to enjoy it and work more vegetables into the meal.

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/pizza-spaghetti-squash-boats/

Spaghetti-Squash-Pizza-Boats-1.thumb.jpg.8df154d988a44e59b60d3832fba4e0ea.jpg

Here's one that is only 270 calories and 14 grams of carbohydrate. Don't let that healthy part scare you off!    https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/spaghetti-squash-pizza/

spaghetti-squash-pizza-1.jpg.cdbb467ece0e55f37e0f067742ce8e7e.jpg

This one does not spare the calories or the carbs, but has a nice twist by including some nice, garlicky sauteed spinach.  https://cookieandkate.com/spaghetti-squash-pizza-bowls-recipe/

pizza-spaghetti-squash-recipe-550x824.thumb.jpg.3199eb67267e203efcfb984c229716c7.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6