The Daily for Thursday October 28, 2021

richwmn

Good morning Daily-ites. Thanks to Rich, Roy, and all who contribute.

Technician arrived at 8 pm while we were having a nightcap with neighbors. He knows what the problem is but couldn't get the internet or cable working. Says it will be fixed today for sure. Uh huh.

More work coming today on bathroom. That's a story right there but I'll save it til later.

I am off for a doctor appt, then manicure, committee meeting, and Mahjongg.

Wishing everyone a blessed day. Prayers for all in need and toasting to our growing celebration list!

Thanks to all who thought, prayed, and mentioned Allen yesterday. 

• Like 27

Good morning  and thanks for the Daily.I will celebrate all of the days and possibly try the recipe sans pepperoni for the group soon.We have not been to the port of the day but like the pictures  so far.

There were some trees down and power was out nearby from the storm.Fred and I found a tree split in half around the corner.The roads are still somewhat problematic  so I will find an alternate route on my taxi driving service this morning. 

All the best

Terry

20211027_120652.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning friends!  Yes, @JAM37I woke up to rain this morning and it is very dark and depressing looking outside.  So glad we walked to our gym yesterday and left today to our treadmill workout.  Surprisingly my jabbed arm doesn't hurt me at all.  I hope the lack of side effects continues today.  We don't have anything planned for today so will catch up on CC, read my book, and watch a few recorded programs.  

Thanks for @richwmnfor the Daily report.  Also thanks go to @rafinmdfor updating our lists for us.  Prayers for those who are on the Care list.  We hope it helps!  The nice long Celebration list makes me happy.  Special birthday wishes for @USN59-79's wife Sara on her 80th.  Enjoy your family visit, too.  That is some strange sounding menu suggestion today.  Also the quote by Mencken is quite unique.  Our days of celebration are nice.  I love chocolate of course.  The Statue of Liberty dedication must have been quite the event!  Plush animals are cute and comforting.

I'm enjoying the photos of Honningsvag today.  I recognize many of the places shown, even the Bird Safari location which was out of town.  Our CC group tour stopped at that little town after we visited North Cape.  Marty from @Gail & Marty sailing awaywas our driver!  You've seen a couple photos of North Cape (or Nord Kapp) so here is a view of some wildlife Marty stopped and let us photograph along our route.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKYwiqlrYDAY4cKXMjeGoXO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468075825

There are very few roads so renting a vehicle and driving up to North Cape with a small group is a great way to see it along with any other spots along the way you want to view.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIFVnYo2Bhh3fnTgqDK6oyy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468075767

Back in Honningsvag, the town is small so you can easily walk around to see what life here would be like.  Busy with ships in June and July!  We were there on Prinsendam. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJFuAEvdNI0QnV3R51s0_QO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076556

The Elegant Explorer00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLin-0TXpvIIqvZeYdesPGM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076610

We noticed the barriers on the hillside to prevent avalanches in the winter.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKAaehcHRmYmO_LBm3LRl4u?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076615

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLaeJy8aPPrRZZyzG82Hnsl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076623

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-5ifbPcGyuuCZ90XzpSYL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076631

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLI8uvHPReAXy_VGnn0Eses?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076538

This trip on the Prinsendam was captained by you know who - Capt. D.D.  He likes to make your journey an experience to remember so when we left Honningsvag later that day we made a stop at sea for his fisherman buddy to deliver some king crab and cod for our enjoyment.  DH went down to deck 4 by the medical department to snap a few photos of our intrepid captain bringing the haul on board.  First a picture of North Cape as we passed it, then the king crab.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIS6QvEbtnVDJHiIO4SlPQP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076788

Fisherman buddy00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLXcy3OkvUU2xFC92iDAFM3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076810

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLIY7-iB3BzXI2wPO2ILGBb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468084033

And a shot from my cabin of Captain D.D. holding a cod fish, which would be served the following day along with fresh king crab.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJO_dNtrXK3NAeAGILblrOh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468076885

Our first cruise to Honningsvag was in 2013 on Crown Princess, and we enjoyed the scenery then, but this cruise on Prinsendam was the ultimate Norway cruise.  Thank you Captain D.D!!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone. I love chocolate so will certainly celebrate today. Yesterday we got our boosters. Mine was a full J and J second shot which I didn’t anticipate and Sam got half the Moderna. So far, just a sore arm.

Inhave a book club meeting this morning and we will be inside a room in the clubhouse with everyone masked. I do know that all in the club have been vaccinated. We just got word of a Chanukah party complete with food and people will be sitting with friends at tables but we won’t go because you can’t be masked and eat. We know some people here haven’t been vaccinated so not worth taking a chance.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 27

Good Morning Everyone from a very overcast day at the beach

Suppose to be getting some real weather later today. It certainly looks like it now. The sky was almost a crimson color this AM. W e usually go to trivia on Thursday but doesnt look like it right now. Who knows, the weather is very unpredictable that is for sure!

Have not been to todays port but is on the list. Thank you for all the pictures.

Not sure about todays menu. Looks a little different.

DS is being a real trooper. They shaved her head at the last appointment and she now has a wig. She doesnt like it so she made herself a cap!  She said she cant go anywhere, might as well be comfortable! Thanks everyone for the prayers.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

I'm not sure why I haven't been reading these Daily posts.  They're very entertaining and I'm happy I stopped in today.

Not a chocolate fan, here.  Don't get me wrong.  I'll eat chocolate if it's around, but I don't crave it.  I do keep a bar of dark with caramel and sea salt that I have a piece of on Friday evenings along with some wine.  Friday night is wine and chocolate; Saturday night is beer and popcorn.

I had my booster shot last Friday and I'm finally starting to feel back to normal.  I had absolutely zero side effects after the second one, so this was a bit of a surprise.  Fever, muscle and joint pain for 2-3 days; fatigue and major brain fog since.  I take that as a good sign that my immune system is doing its thing.  My immunity should be a full strength in time for Eurodam next month!

• Like 28

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I've always loved plush animals; I can't resist squeezing them to see how soft they are.  Oh @richwmn, you devil you, you definitely had me at chocolate!!  I've only seen photos of the Statue of Liberty, but hopefully will get to see her in person one day.

I actually got a chuckle out of today's quote.  I'm weird, I know - I'm used to it.

A busy day ahead - the Chamber of Commerce is going to be handing out DIY Covid test kits, so I want to be there early to be able to get a box of 3 to have on hand, just in case.  Then there's a grocery run, a stop at a fabric store to pick up some burlap to serve as a background for photographing indigenous artifacts for DH's video, then later in the afternoon I have a hair appointment.  I told my hairdresser that I'm starting to look like a calico cat, so I'd better get in as soon as possible.  

I like today's menu suggestion, as it's a change from just regular spaghetti squash.  I still have one from our friend's donation a couple of weeks ago, so will add pepperoni to the grocery list and try the recipe for dinner tonight.  And wine.

@grapau27you've sold chocolate for over 35 years???  You are officially my new best friend !!!!

Chocolate.thumb.jpg.ee6d86e2223e97cfcfbb3d3f4737f8df.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list - which thankfully is getting longer than the care list.  Stay safe, wash your hands, be well, and wear your masks!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 31

Good Morning All!

It’s still dark here. Our General Contractor is coming to cut the concrete some more so the landscaper can move the pipes in a few weeks. Yah!

Sharing a few pictures of Honnigsvag and Nord Kapp. I have some lovely video from Prinsendam of sailing off the cape. I might take a few minutes later and make a quick video of it.

9017BDA7-C2DE-44E2-81A4-1DBA4A419F84.jpeg

5DB10B63-E76A-4D28-907F-EC5C24F36CF1.jpeg

8C4DA8F3-A310-4B41-B183-EE03D8EB5FCF.jpeg

094787A8-D3DE-4A88-A727-A47B0F09A785.jpeg

707C44DD-ADFA-44B4-80F8-4B6DD102ABAB.jpeg

105D875B-F66A-46D4-BAD3-9803B49931B2.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

In recognition of Chocolate Day, here’s some snaps from some of my trips:  (Chocolate + HAL: Just gotta invite @RuthC to the party.)

On Prinsendam, the day we were at Nordkapp:

D968F862-5A5D-4C05-BE32-B0E34D1E5789.thumb.jpeg.ddf5132da523bcba387f6290cac7f985.jpeg

From a bakery in Buenos Aires: ( mixed with dulce de Leche)

E2AFED6F-2108-4D86-8E08-F5B84C9AB281.thumb.jpeg.48cfb54d8bbb529df932dc460dc72eac.jpeg

A miscellaneous chocolate treat from HAL:

3E562AA8-28DA-4004-8280-29E76807A1AA.thumb.jpeg.b63e3ad064f91de71aadcad119aa2c9a.jpeg

HAL ‘s (NAS) Chocolate Delight, from Zaandam. I’ve found each cruise the chef has changed up the garnishes. 

CBCB254D-18D2-4591-8D01-8A5D01A301ED.thumb.jpeg.dcba125c3a9737762cbce998342f5a80.jpeg

And Veendam’s version of the same in 2013556130D3-B79C-49B1-98C9-ABEDDA51DF8F.thumb.jpeg.9626d5171e07d4ac6d9bff7bc74b6004.jpeg

Another version from Veendam in dec, 2015.

1A8589EF-96A4-44B2-A800-101F9471D2FD.thumb.jpeg.462adfc2da5228a650b18a83de13a31b.jpeg

Brownie at Nidaro Cathedral:

B2AB79A9-5773-4D6F-98B7-A989129415F7.thumb.jpeg.9ca05ae0a220a3e7fec89848b98b7b0b.jpeg

Chocolate gelato from Prinsendam’s Canaletto 

8A8E9D6D-4BFB-486E-AF49-5ECF7AC20638.thumb.jpeg.421c67f6cfd00bb253a66a7fb436ea7e.jpeg

Gelato in Buenos Aires:

244055F9-D6B8-464D-AF5E-A4BAF32D56BD.thumb.jpeg.1c350355560e032b21e5e5dd2e7f7fef.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Welcome to the Daily @NCTribeFan!  We're here everyday for your enjoyment.😁

@TiogaCruiserI enjoyed all the photos!  I do believe I gained a pound just looking at those chocolate delights.

And I forgot to say congrats to the Houston Astros for their win last night.  It's only fair since I congratulated the Braves yesterday.  Tomorrow night's game is in Atlanta which everyone is very happy about.  They sure  have a lot longer season than they did in the "old days".  Seems like the World Series was held in early October back then.

• Like 20

Speaking of plush toys!  This is my grandbaby.  It's a little difficult to tell, but she's wrapped in a giant, super-soft, purple octopus.  I want to steal it and just sit with it's squishy tentacles wrapped around my arms.  She also has a big pink unicorn.  My favorite plush toy ever, though, is the Peter Rabbit that my daughter's English grandparents gave her when she was little (she's 35 now).  I think she's keeping that for herself.

Purple octopus & Ivy.jpg

• Like 33

9 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

OOoohhh I just remembered the short lived  'Chocolate Extravaganza' that used to be on the BHB just before Covid hit?

Hope they bring them back😋.  They didn't have one on Eurodam earlier in the month.😭

Yeah, those were great.  I think they called it Chocolate Surprise and on the ships we were on they had it about 9:45 after late dining.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, NCTribeFan said:

Speaking of plush toys!  This is my grandbaby.  It's a little difficult to tell, but she's wrapped in a giant, super-soft, purple octopus.  I want to steal it and just sit with it's squishy tentacles wrapped around my arms.  She also has a big pink unicorn.  My favorite plush toy ever, though, is the Peter Rabbit that my daughter's English grandparents gave her when she was little (she's 35 now).  I think she's keeping that for herself.

Purple octopus & Ivy.jpg

What a sweetie!

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Purple octopus & Ivy.jpg

Welcome to the Daily.

What a beautiful baby. I'm sure she brings you a lot of joy.

• Like 13

Good morning all!

It's still breezy here after our windstorm but nothing like what folks in the NE are going through.  It's usually well into November before we get windstorms, this was unexpected.

Good collection of days, especially chocolate -- every day is chocolate day here. 🙂  Not quite sure about the meal, but I would definitely switch something else for the peperoni.  The drink sounds good, will pass on the red wine.

Thank you to all who are posting photos of Honningsvag.  We will be there next summer and now I'm thinking we'll look into renting a car -- I'm getting excited just seeing the photos.  

@NCTribeFanwelcome to the daily!  What a beautiful grandbaby you have!  

@ger_77I thought the quote was funny too!

• Like 20

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's still breezy here after our windstorm but nothing like what folks in the NE are going through.  It's usually well into November before we get windstorms, this was unexpected.

Good collection of days, especially chocolate -- every day is chocolate day here. 🙂  Not quite sure about the meal, but I would definitely switch something else for the peperoni.  The drink sounds good, will pass on the red wine.

Thank you to all who are posting photos of Honningsvag.  We will be there next summer and now I'm thinking we'll look into renting a car -- I'm getting excited just seeing the photos.  

@NCTribeFanwelcome to the daily!  What a beautiful grandbaby you have!  

@ger_77I thought the quote was funny too!

Right along the dock where the Prinsendam was moored, was the car rental place Marty used.  It's called Bilservice and we put 8 of us in this van.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKIi31gc3ukbGY91QjJpCgj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468075489

I think they have smaller cars, too.  Their website is www.nordkappbilservice.no .  When we got to our destination (Nordkapp), they took each of our credit cards and individually charged each couple's admissions charges to visit.  It took a couple minutes for each of the four couples but the cost that day of our Nordkapp visit was a lot less than the ship tour.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Right along the dock where the Prinsendam was moored, was the car rental place Marty used.  It's called Bilservice and we put 8 of us in this van.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKIi31gc3ukbGY91QjJpCgj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468075489

I think they have smaller cars, too.  Their website is www.nordkappbilservice.no .  When we got to our destination (Nordkapp), they took each of our credit cards and individually charged each couple's admissions charges to visit.  It took a couple minutes for each of the four couples but the cost that day of our Nordkapp visit was a lot less than the ship tour.

Thank you!!!  This is so helpful.  I'm telling DH about this.  We always prefer to DIY whenever possible.

• Like 8

Good morning from sunny Quartzsite.  Our nights are now cooling down to the low 60sF or upper 50sF, so it is good sleeping with the windows open and the fan going.

@richwmn  Rich, I'm another one you had at Chocolate!  I like plush stuffed animals, but  don't have any.  I'll celebrate the Statue of Liberty Dedication Day.  We have seen her many times when in NYC and sailing in and out of NYC.  I enjoy seeing her from a distance, but have never really wanted to go out to the island.  We may do that next year if our booked cruise sails.

@ger_77  I guess I'm weird too.  I chuckled when I read the Mencken quote.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink, but the wine sounds nice.

@NCTribeFan  Welcome to the Daily where you'll find the friendliest, most helpful and supportive people on CC.  Thanks for the picture of DGD.  She's a cutie.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, we celebrated the Astros win last night.  We've been fans since neighbors gave us tickets for box seats to a game in 1685 or 1986.  After than, we were either in the loge or the $1 cheap seats behind the outfield.  Those were the days when my favorite philosopher Yogi Berra was a coach for the Astros, and Nolan Ryan was the star pitcher.

We have been to Honningsvag twice.  In 2006 we were there on the Marco Polo, and did the ship's tour, which was actually a bus ride and the entrance fee.  In 2011, we were there on the Prinsendam and rented a car.  We did not stop at the Nordkapp that day, but drove past it to the next inlet.

The first pictures are from our Marco Polo cruise.  The first ones are arriving in port.

IMG_5668.thumb.JPG.cd2e9ccb27b514d40e91ebf2e881f21d.JPG

IMG_5669.thumb.JPG.dc5468874293b4cd0d19e7d22fcfe30f.JPG

Nordkapp

IMG_5689.thumb.JPG.d3280e0171ed8a7277a0a7e01604baa0.JPG

IMG_5696.thumb.JPG.60297c83cb8273c4150ffed3c518e7aa.JPG

IMG_5697.thumb.JPG.39cd9c08b0913f7ab1f8e938f446f560.JPG

The vistor center

IMG_5701.thumb.JPG.a087f76c502f13d5736f795b7e9f3450.JPG

This guy was running down the road, keeping up with the bus.

IMG_5704.thumb.JPG.3291316ec8161b92eec715b1d7deec5e.JPG

A couple of pictures from our walk around town.

IMG_5706.thumb.JPG.113288b7e0b0ab746d16a011a5856844.JPG

IMG_5708.thumb.JPG.98b9c5128e6a1481426a4ec8453e0940.JPG

After leaving port, we sailed around the Nordkapp.  The protrusion from the cliff is the actual northern point.

IMG_5730.thumb.JPG.501125b9aa3baf729cad9352da509283.JPG

In 2011, we spent the day driving around the area enjoying the scenery.

P1030077.thumb.JPG.ed9da60c3ec9c8458a0c35e59140b334.JPG

A fishing village down the road past the NordKapp

P1030083.thumb.JPG.44d234bed1d96a7f0d7fefbc94197561.JPG

Guess who has the right-of-way?

P1030098.thumb.JPG.e92d256ad5b0c9e48f39efe083aae041.JPG

We stopped at the Sami Village, basically a tourist trap (oops, shopping stop) of a recreated Sami Village.  The Samis are the Laplanders who live in the area.  The bus stopped here in 2005, but this time we were there by ourselves.

P1030111.thumb.JPG.d280d08a79222bdeba61e0b3fdc236f8.JPG

P1030112.thumb.JPG.74fdd533f6242b35107e84b1dd67b7a4.JPG

Another village, and how they dry their fish

P1030114.thumb.JPG.520fb8b269a0c4eb743ddcf428a9b8d7.JPG

P1030116.thumb.JPG.30c800e4106d24b36a974282a5e1138e.JPG

After we sailed, Captain Gundersen took us to see the Nordkapp from the ship.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2