The Daily for Thursday October 28, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

It has been raining heavily all night.

We are waiting for our lunch.

I have sold chocolate for over 35 years so this is a good day.

Pauline loves her plush toy monkeys.

We are waiting for our lunch so I will post photos later.

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful birthday messages yesterday.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Graham.

IMG-20211028-WA0000.jpg

Graham -- NOMB but what are you a salesman for these days?

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from sunny Quartzsite.  Our nights are now cooling down to the low 60sF or upper 50sF, so it is good sleeping with the windows open and the fan going.

@richwmn  Rich, I'm another one you had at Chocolate!  I like plush stuffed animals, but  don't have any.  I'll celebrate the Statue of Liberty Dedication Day.  We have seen her many times when in NYC and sailing in and out of NYC.  I enjoy seeing her from a distance, but have never really wanted to go out to the island.  We may do that next year if our booked cruise sails.

@ger_77  I guess I'm weird too.  I chuckled when I read the Mencken quote.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink, but the wine sounds nice.

@NCTribeFan  Welcome to the Daily where you'll find the friendliest, most helpful and supportive people on CC.  Thanks for the picture of DGD.  She's a cutie.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, we celebrated the Astros win last night.  We've been fans since neighbors gave us tickets for box seats to a game in 1685 or 1986.  After than, we were either in the loge or the $1 cheap seats behind the outfield.  Those were the days when my favorite philosopher Yogi Berra was a coach for the Astros, and Nolan Ryan was the star pitcher.

We have been to Honningsvag twice.  In 2006 we were there on the Marco Polo, and did the ship's tour, which was actually a bus ride and the entrance fee.  In 2011, we were there on the Prinsendam and rented a car.  We did not stop at the Nordkapp that day, but drove past it to the next inlet.

The first pictures are from our Marco Polo cruise.  The first ones are arriving in port.

IMG_5668.thumb.JPG.cd2e9ccb27b514d40e91ebf2e881f21d.JPG

IMG_5669.thumb.JPG.dc5468874293b4cd0d19e7d22fcfe30f.JPG

Nordkapp

IMG_5689.thumb.JPG.d3280e0171ed8a7277a0a7e01604baa0.JPG

IMG_5696.thumb.JPG.60297c83cb8273c4150ffed3c518e7aa.JPG

IMG_5697.thumb.JPG.39cd9c08b0913f7ab1f8e938f446f560.JPG

The vistor center

IMG_5701.thumb.JPG.a087f76c502f13d5736f795b7e9f3450.JPG

This guy was running down the road, keeping up with the bus.

IMG_5704.thumb.JPG.3291316ec8161b92eec715b1d7deec5e.JPG

A couple of pictures from our walk around town.

IMG_5706.thumb.JPG.113288b7e0b0ab746d16a011a5856844.JPG

IMG_5708.thumb.JPG.98b9c5128e6a1481426a4ec8453e0940.JPG

After leaving port, we sailed around the Nordkapp.  The protrusion from the cliff is the actual northern point.

IMG_5730.thumb.JPG.501125b9aa3baf729cad9352da509283.JPG

In 2011, we spent the day driving around the area enjoying the scenery.

P1030077.thumb.JPG.ed9da60c3ec9c8458a0c35e59140b334.JPG

A fishing village down the road past the NordKapp

P1030083.thumb.JPG.44d234bed1d96a7f0d7fefbc94197561.JPG

Guess who has the right-of-way?

P1030098.thumb.JPG.e92d256ad5b0c9e48f39efe083aae041.JPG

We stopped at the Sami Village, basically a tourist trap (oops, shopping stop) of a recreated Sami Village.  The Samis are the Laplanders who live in the area.  The bus stopped here in 2005, but this time we were there by ourselves.

P1030111.thumb.JPG.d280d08a79222bdeba61e0b3fdc236f8.JPG

P1030112.thumb.JPG.74fdd533f6242b35107e84b1dd67b7a4.JPG

Another village, and how they dry their fish

P1030114.thumb.JPG.520fb8b269a0c4eb743ddcf428a9b8d7.JPG

P1030116.thumb.JPG.30c800e4106d24b36a974282a5e1138e.JPG

After we sailed, Captain Gundersen took us to see the Nordkapp from the ship.

Lenda

Lenda, all your stops look like my photos!  The only thing I notice different is the sunshine and blue skies.😉  Same fishing village, same Sami village, statues and monuments.  I'm glad we got to see it and experience it. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

This is my favourite chocolate selection.

The other photos are one of Pauline's plush toys on our ship balcony.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210812_130457.jpg

Screenshot_20210614_152054.jpg

IMG-20210518-WA0000.jpg

Nice photos.  I would be pouncing on those chocolates if they were here.  That's why I try not to buy sweets.  The little monkey is cute all dressed up like that.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and to all contributors.

Great days. I like plush animals. Yes to Chocolate is a given! I am a big Statue of Liberty fan; I visited her in grade school and back then you could go up in the torch. I have several small replicas and was at Liberty Weekend for the rededication in 1986, with the tall ships and the biggest fireworks show I've ever seen. My desktop pic on the PC is Lady Liberty. Also a salute to First Responders!

Hmmm on the quote.

The meal sounds good; I'll file it away. I also like the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's port or Norway at all. Thanks for all pictures.

I don't know if it was from the flu shot, but I slept 9-1/2 hours last night! The sun is out and it's not too cold, so I'll get a few things done outside, like shutting down the outsides hoses. Leaf pickup was delayed by rain on Tuesday, so likely my street won't get done tomorrow (Fridays are my day). There's not enough leaves down to worry about; I think the high winds recently blew them elsewhere.

@grapau27 Lovely lunch.

@Crazy For Cats You grew up in Hershey, PA?

@aliaschief I'm glad you came out unscathed from the storms.

@Seasick Sailor Hoping things go well with the internet/cable and the bathroom work.

@USN59-79 Happy Birthday to Sara!

@mamaofami Glad you two got your boosters.

@cunnorl Continued prayers for your DS.

@TiogaCruiser Oh my on those chocolate goodies!

@NCTribeFan Welcome to the Daily. What a cutie!

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask.

From July 1986

467545104_56-7.1986-StatueofLibertyRededicationLadyLiberty.thumb.jpg.45a8d7cf2c01a36fc2c29db0648f915c.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and to all contributors.

Great days. I like plush animals. Yes to Chocolate is a given! I am a big Statue of Liberty fan; I visited her in grade school and back then you could go up in the torch. I have several small replicas and was at Liberty Weekend for the rededication in 1986, with the tall ships and the biggest fireworks show I've ever seen. My desktop pic on the PC is Lady Liberty. Also a salute to First Responders!

Hmmm on the quote.

The meal sounds good; I'll file it away. I also like the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's port or Norway at all. Thanks for all pictures.

I don't know if it was from the flu shot, but I slept 9-1/2 hours last night! The sun is out and it's not too cold, so I'll get a few things done outside, like shutting down the outsides hoses. Leaf pickup was delayed by rain on Tuesday, so likely my street won't get done tomorrow (Fridays are my day). There's not enough leaves down to worry about; I think the high winds recently blew them elsewhere.

@grapau27 Lovely lunch.

@Crazy For Cats You grew up in Hershey, PA?

@aliaschief I'm glad you came out unscathed from the storms.

@Seasick Sailor Hoping things go well with the internet/cable and the bathroom work.

@USN59-79 Happy Birthday to Sara!

@mamaofami Glad you two got your boosters.

@cunnorl Continued prayers for your DS.

@TiogaCruiser Oh my on those chocolate goodies!

@NCTribeFan Welcome to the Daily. What a cutie!

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask.

From July 1986

467545104_56-7.1986-StatueofLibertyRededicationLadyLiberty.thumb.jpg.45a8d7cf2c01a36fc2c29db0648f915c.jpg

Yes I did.  I went to Milton Hershey.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Speaking of plush toys!  This is my grandbaby.  It's a little difficult to tell, but she's wrapped in a giant, super-soft, purple octopus.  I want to steal it and just sit with it's squishy tentacles wrapped around my arms.  She also has a big pink unicorn.  My favorite plush toy ever, though, is the Peter Rabbit that my daughter's English grandparents gave her when she was little (she's 35 now).  I think she's keeping that for herself.

Purple octopus & Ivy.jpg

What a cutie ♥️. Welcome to the Daily 🙂 

5 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Ugh.  I noticed a bit of water under the hot water heater, I guess we need a new one.  I'm waiting for the plumber to show up.🤞

Really glad you caught it when you did and delighted to hear the problem has been averted and you have replaced it 👍 

4 hours ago, bdrcole said:

I wonder why I thought about the Dailyites when I saw these this morning?

Wine1.png

wine2.png

LOL on the wine corkscrew signal 🙂 

• Like 10

Good Afternoon,

A bit of a late arrival today, the heavy rain has been going for about 15 hours straight, and we still have another 18 hours to go of our Pineapple Express, they are predicting up to 3 inches in the lowlands and 4 to 5 inches in the mountains.  

Dear Dad and I met a cousin for coffee this morning, we were supposed to meet at 11 and she called at 10 and said she was ready, so we rushed out of the house.   Starbucks did check our vaccine cards now that's it a policy in our county, I'm carrying ours with us now since you never know when we're going to suddenly stop for lunch or dinner.

My favorite chocolate is Fannie May (not the mortgage), out of Chicago, that I grew up with.  I have to order it through the mail to get it on the west coast, nothing out here comes close to the Trinidad, pictured here.

Have a great day everybody!

fannymay.jpg.561b9d5979b659085f1d5151e475d1ea.jpg

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Good Afternoon,

A bit of a late arrival today, the heavy rain has been going for about 15 hours straight, and we still have another 18 hours to go of our Pineapple Express, they are predicting up to 3 inches in the lowlands and 4 to 5 inches in the mountains.  

Dear Dad and I met a cousin for coffee this morning, we were supposed to meet at 11 and she called at 10 and said she was ready, so we rushed out of the house.   Starbucks did check our vaccine cards now that's it a policy in our county, I'm carrying ours with us now since you never know when we're going to suddenly stop for lunch or dinner.

My favorite chocolate is Fannie May (not the mortgage), out of Chicago, that I grew up with.  I have to order it through the mail to get it on the west coast, nothing out here comes close to the Trinidad, pictured here.

Have a great day everybody!

fannymay.jpg.561b9d5979b659085f1d5151e475d1ea.jpg

Ooh!  That looks amazing!  Well I like See’s too which is available in your area, but I thought I’d died and gone to heaven in Belgium!  I also ordered some high end Swiss truffles that were sublime. Oh my! 💕

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 10

We went to Costco today, picked up some Belgium chocolates among other things and got in line to get our booster shots.  The line wasn't long, but I noticed a sign saying that they had only the J&J vaccine; no Moderna or Phizer.  Might be for the best, as we want to be with our children this weekend and don't want to suffer a bad reaction at that time.  Yesterday it was recommended that I might try the VA for my shot.  I do have a lot of choices, including the Navy Hospital with Tricare, but the VA would be my last choice.  They are just not easy to deal with compared to the alternatives.

Not sure if there is really going to be a shortage of wine bottles in the near future, but just in case I picked up a case of my favorite malbec at Costco also.  Can't be too prepared for the necessities.

• Like 11
  • Haha 5

Greetings of the day!  Thanks to Rich, Roy, wine & recipe/drink ladies, and all who make this the happy, caring place that it is for us on a "Daily" basis!!  I join the other Chocaholics in proclaiming this is our day!!  @grapau27I would have been a failure at your job--I would have eaten the merchandise before it ever got to the stores!

Today is Day 3 (post booster) and I feel great.  When I got up this morning, decided to drive 75 miles for a 10 am meeting.  The way I felt yesterday, I had planned to just call in to "attend."  I got home, went to the cleaners, got my car washed, and then went to the supermarket.  I got in many extra steps looking for items on my list, as the entire store had been re-arranged since my last visit over 2 weeks ago!

At the meeting this morning one of the hospital representatives announced that it is now approved to "mix and match" vaccines.  If you had one (J&J, Pfizer, or Moderna), it is okay to have a booster of another type.  Was news to me, but guess it is just coming out that it is okay!

The Statue of Liberty is my destination when the Rotterdam arrives in NYC next October after the TA from Rotterdam.  During our time in NYC after 09/11, it was closed, so no chance to visit.  Then in 2019, when I was In port for one day, going to the 09/11 Memorial and Museum had to be my visit!  I will never, ever forget sailing into and out of NY Harbor aboard the Zuiderdam and passing the lovely Lady!  I still get tears thinking about it!  We will be in NYC overnight next year.

Have a great evening everyone!  Glad the Celebration list is outpacing the Care list.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Oh @atexsix!  Trinidads from Fannie Mae. Yum. My actual favorite Chicago candy stores are long gone - Dutch Mill - my favorite there was their dark chocolate covered sponge candy. I don’t know of anyplace that still sells sponge candy. 

As to vaccine boosters since someone expressed interest - DH and I got our Moderna boosters this morning. I am sore, achy and have a fever like last time. DH is fine. I know, however, that I will be better by tomorrow. Small price to pay for the benefits of this miracle vaccine. 

• Like 10

Good afternoon.  Shortly after I posted this morning, we went to Parker to the big box store and two groceries.  It was a long day, and just got everything put away, except the meat.  That will be gotten ready for the freezer tomorrow.

Talk about sticker shock!  The meat prices at the big box store were outrageous.  Luckily, another shopper told me one of the other stores that does not carry the higher end beef, but had good prices.  What they had worked for us.

@USN59-79  I am prepared if there is a wine shortage.  Last week in Blythe and today in Parker I found my favorite Riesling on sale.  I am now the proud owner of two cases. I also got two bottles of sparkling wine on sale for Christmas and New Year's Eve.  😀  🥂 🍾

@Crazy For Cats  We enjoyed taking the DDs to Chocolate Town USA when we lived in PA.  Loved the street lights.

@puppycanducruise  Good news you got the water heater replaced quickly.  We replaced the one here and the one in Texas ourselves.  They both started leaking on a weekend and the plumbers couldn't be bothered to come out until Monday.  Thank goodness, DH is handy, and I'm a good gofer.

@bdrcole  I think I have an suspicion why you thought of the Dailyites when you saw the corkscrew signal today.  Wonder if one of us sent it.  🤣

@grapau27  Graham, if I had your job, I probably would have eaten all the samples.  Good looking selection.

@atexsix  I wish more places had mask mandates and checked for vaccination status.  Since some of the stores in Parker are on land owned by CRIT (Colorado River Indian Tribes) they are supposed to require masks in the stores, but not all do.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, we've been lucky with the weather on most of our ports.  As far as the same stops, there are only so many places to go in Honningsvag. 

@cruzn single  Happy you are feeling better, and wow, you got a lot accomplished today.  I think rearranging stores is a diabolical plot, so you have to walk all the asiles to find what you need and hopefully spend money on spur of the moment buys.  😉

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

@atexsixI just have to concur about Fannie May candy.  My DH introduced me to his favorite 50 years ago!!!  I still get a 1# box every year at Christmas from his niece.  My favorite is dark chocolate buttercream!  Fannie May was a family tradition, as his grandmother, mother, and 2 great-aunts all worked for the company in Chicago.

• Like 9