Gifts for crew?

JF - retired RRT

13 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

Got to agree that cash is what it’s all about.  Also, unopened bottles of wine have been happily received 

I assume you checked the religion of the recipient first, so as not to cause offence ?

I take thank you cards and cash to give out for extra recognition, starting with my traditional first crew member I see on the ship. That’s usually a member of security, and they don’t often get recognized that way and show such surprise. For my cabin steward who I talk to the most often, I’ll always ask if there is something I can look for in port for them, and usually they will take me up on that. 

I haven’t cruised overseas before, and will be this next year for the first time. I guess I should make sure to have Euros for onboard tips? Or are they able to deposit/exchange US dollars on the ship easily?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChangeOrder said:

I take thank you cards and cash to give out for extra recognition, starting with my traditional first crew member I see on the ship. That’s usually a member of security, and they don’t often get recognized that way and show such surprise. For my cabin steward who I talk to the most often, I’ll always ask if there is something I can look for in port for them, and usually they will take me up on that. 

I haven’t cruised overseas before, and will be this next year for the first time. I guess I should make sure to have Euros for onboard tips? Or are they able to deposit/exchange US dollars on the ship easily?

A ship sailing around Europe region means crew would need/use EUR when going ashore.  IDK what rate the crew would get for cash exchange with Pursor's office.  We guests certainly do not get a decent rate.

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!  If you were working on the cruise and dealing with all the passengers, what would you want?  For those who do not tip...how would you feel about giving your all to someone and not get anything?  Just my opinion.  We don't have tons of money, but we feel for the people on board who make our trip, we give extra to.  It is our donation to someone we know and who is special to us.  Yes, we have been longtime friends with crew; however, they are not crew to us, they have become family after cruising with them multiple times.  We remember their names and all about them, think of them often and keep in touch.  This is just how we cruise and feel good about our extra contributions to the people on board who work so hard to make our trip special.  So, yes, we always ask our room steward every time we get off the ship if there is anything he would like us to pick up for him while we are out and we are happy to do that, as they never seem to get time off.  We have given some treats/gifts; however, ALWAYS give extra CASH MONEY.  

• Like 2

On 11/1/2021 at 7:59 PM, Steelers36 said:

A ship sailing around Europe region means crew would need/use EUR when going ashore.  IDK what rate the crew would get for cash exchange with Pursor's office.  We guests certainly do not get a decent rate.

Many, many, many years ago, my daughter backpacked through several European countries.  Lesson I learned from her:  Leave all of your left over coins/bills to the those who work there (hostels/tips/etc).  Rarely have I used up all of my exchanged currencies.  

On 11/1/2021 at 12:52 PM, donaldsc said:

Many nationality groups and/or religious groups are opposed to the use of alcohol.  What are they going to do w your unopened bottle of wine.

They are going to trade it with another crew member for something they want.

Many of the crew will have to handle and/or server alcohol.

It this is contrady to their personal beliefs, they probably aren't working on a ship.

• Like 3

Bottom line:  Do what is most comfortable for the giver.  Once a "gift" is released, the receiver can do whatever they want with it.  Trade it, trash it, use it.  It is out of our directives.  

Everyone is able to voice their opinion.  No one has the correct answer for someone else.  

I am a giver and have been all my life.  

• Like 5

On 10/29/2021 at 6:21 PM, jimbo1683 said:

I'd find the whole situation so incredibly awkward and would be so conscious of how it might feel to be serving people who are so privileged to have paid so much for a cruise and are handing out candy and socks.

Agreed. Money talks, BS walks. I almost always tip extra to those who I feel have done a splendid job and I do so discreetly. What they do with it afterwards is their business.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I give three things: cash, the candy bars you all give and a little plug in air freshener that is fancy that can be refilled (yes I bring them refills) this year it is an undersea kind of motif on the outside of it get it from Bath and Body Works

Edited by rabin1
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 8:20 AM, CineGraphic said:

And the crew member in the video says treats from their home countries are appreciated.

Unless you are crew, who are you to say otherwise?

I pay the required grats, and tip a bit extra as well, if warranted.

The candies from "home" are just something extra.

I agree. And in an apples and oranges comparison, at the moment, appreciated even more, in a sentimental moment. I agree, cash is King, but an extra little thought goes a long way. 

• Like 2

On 11/1/2021 at 4:55 AM, Roberto256 said:

I think this was covered in "Christmas Vacation", where Clark wanted to use his holiday bonus

to install a pool, and he received "Jelly of the Month"

(no disrespect to jelly folks)

Some how folks have lost sight, there is a difference between a gift and compensation and or bonus.   Both are welcome and they are not the same.  

• Like 3

A similar post about this topic with a video of Chris Wong appeared on the RCCL board awhile ago. 

Consensus of opinion is that a cash tip and a compliment is the preferred gratuity.

I will add, a smile,a thank you and a neat cabin add to the graciousness.

Enough said!🙄

• Like 3

On 10/29/2021 at 3:17 PM, CineGraphic said:

Snacks from their home country.......spot on!

Before each cruise I stop at an international market and buy candies from several countries.

You should see the huge smiles when I slip a candy to someone as I pass by and they realize that it's from home. I constantly get asked, "Where did you find this!?" I'm schlepping 2 kilos worth of goodies with me for our cruise next week, and I can't wait to start passing them out.

This is a WONDERFUL idea. Of course they appreciate the tips the most but this is a grand idea. 

• Like 1

I recall hearing some time ago that DVDs and books were also good gifts. DVDs because the crew has to pay for internet service, so DVDs at sea are a better option. Books, since people bringing books to them likely gives them access to books they otherwise wouldn’t have without buying them online.

Anyhow, those were two things that I’d heard were good “gifts” for the crew.

18 minutes ago, Ldyandrea said:

I recall hearing some time ago that DVDs and books were also good gifts. DVDs because the crew has to pay for internet service, so DVDs at sea are a better option. Books, since people bringing books to them likely gives them access to books they otherwise wouldn’t have without buying them online.

Anyhow, those were two things that I’d heard were good “gifts” for the crew.

Heard from whom?  How would you know what books or DVDs they would like.  If one insists on giving them that sort of stuff, just give them an Amazon gift card.  I asked on another post and someone responded that crew members can place orders on Amazon.

DON

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2021 at 9:13 AM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Gifts for the crew?  I appreciate them so much, but I barely buy MYSELF or my family gifts when I'm on vacation.  I'm certainly not packing gifts for the crew.  My gratuity, extra cash, and show of appreciation are my "gifts." 

FYI…There is a crew member on YouTube who indicated that he would like socks as he found many times the laundry machines were all full. Just one crew members request. 

Tom😀

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Heard from whom?  How would you know what books or DVDs they would like.  If one insists on giving them that sort of stuff, just give them an Amazon gift card.  I asked on another post and someone responded that crew members can place orders on Amazon.

DON

I also wondered how a passenger would know what books and dvds would be appreciated by crew members. I did not think of the Amazon gift card alternative, but that does make sense. But still, cash would still work just as well if not better.