The Daily for Thursday November 18, 2021

richwmn

4 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The previous picture is all I took of the town.  Once back from our tour, we decided not to go into the town.

This is the church the Queen Mother attended when she was at Castle Mey.  She sat towards the back of the church. I don't remember the name of the church.

DSC08970.thumb.JPG.69c971dd350325655f60665e1be70412.JPG

DSC08967.thumb.JPG.70a9c4772728838ec5a87c06d0177e70.JPG

Just a couple of pictures of John O'Groats, a tourist spot on one point of land.

DSC08976.thumb.JPG.5e2ecd381efd1dc8c7232bb64874aaa8.JPG

DSC08981.thumb.JPG.5e6b1fca2f55e970b3c3e6d5f86a57b0.JPG

Dunnet Head, the northern most point in Scotland.  The southern most point is Land's End in Wales.

DSC08986.thumb.JPG.ebe88dc5503cd69efc29b072b63dc3c6.JPG

DSC08990.thumb.JPG.7439dd55d72d3d9fb3e0b5781c8e1756.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda!  Always good when it's sunny in Scotland, too!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Thanks, Jacqui, I went through page 4 looking for it, but couldn’t believe it might have slipped to 5!   I’ll wait a few days to bump it next time.  😇

Thanks Ann.  Yes, I was shocked it was all the way down there.  I usually try to bump it when it falls to far but I haven’t been “with it” this week.

25 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You've got mail!

And you have it back 😉 

11 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Looks like I know who that poster is and don't think she has posted to the Dailu. 

Never fear - she will never post on the Daily - this a congenial thread and she doesn’t do congeniality 😉 

11 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

A tragic situation here.  A former police officer from a nearby county terrorized the mother of his 2 little girls and kidnapped them.  For 2 or 3 days he and a police accomplice have been on a multistate rampage eluding capture.  We just got word that both officers and both girls are dead in an apparent murder/suicide.

Roy

Oh my heavens, how awful.  So sad to hear this 😔 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Looks like I know who that poster is and don't think she has posted to the Dailu.  For a minute I thought I might have to add a Daily poster to my ignore list.

A tragic situation here.  A former police officer from a nearby county terrorized the mother of his 2 little girls and kidnapped them.  For 2 or 3 days he and a police accomplice have been on a multistate rampage eluding capture.  We just got word that both officers and both girls are dead in an apparent murder/suicide.

Roy

This is terrible news for the 2 girls and their mother.

How could someone especially a police officer do this to anyone and especially to his own children.

Graham.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The previous picture is all I took of the town.  Once back from our tour, we decided not to go into the town.

This is the church the Queen Mother attended when she was at Castle Mey.  She sat towards the back of the church. I don't remember the name of the church.

DSC08970.thumb.JPG.69c971dd350325655f60665e1be70412.JPG

DSC08967.thumb.JPG.70a9c4772728838ec5a87c06d0177e70.JPG

Just a couple of pictures of John O'Groats, a tourist spot on one point of land.

DSC08976.thumb.JPG.5e2ecd381efd1dc8c7232bb64874aaa8.JPG

DSC08981.thumb.JPG.5e6b1fca2f55e970b3c3e6d5f86a57b0.JPG

Dunnet Head, the northern most point in Scotland.  The southern most point is Land's End in Wales.

DSC08986.thumb.JPG.ebe88dc5503cd69efc29b072b63dc3c6.JPG

DSC08990.thumb.JPG.7439dd55d72d3d9fb3e0b5781c8e1756.JPG

Lenda

Thanks so much for posting the photos, Lenda.  Challenging when out on sea duty.

It's interesting to see this port.  Not only is it rare on itineraries, but seems it's also missed due to weather even when it's on the itinerary.  The two books by William Shawcross, biography and collected letters, left me so fascinated with the Queen Mother that I'm itching to get up there.  Silly, no doubt.  It's pretty darn wild land up there.  Looks pretty, though.

Maxine

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We heard from Walker's wife today. He is nauseous and in pain for the past week. Hospice nurse is giving him heavy pain meds. What a horrible dam disease!!

Joy, that is such sad news.  Hope they can keep him as comfortable as possible in the time he has left.  Yes, it really is a horrible disease.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I am in fact back home.  I think I arrived about 4:30 after a member of my church picked me up at the hospital and stopped at the pharmacy and UPS store on the way back  Since I left most unexpectedly I returned to a sink full of dirty dishes but mostly under control otherwise.  I have antibiotic pills for 5 more days and my next radiation treatment is noon tomorrow.

Roy

Roy, I'm glad your back home.  Try to take it easy, and good luck with your treatment tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Looks like I know who that poster is and don't think she has posted to the Dailu.  For a minute I thought I might have to add a Daily poster to my ignore list.

Roy

Roy, what a horrible and sad situation.  It's unbelievable people can do such a thing.  No matter how much someone hates their children's mother, to kill your children is unfathomable.

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Nice photos Lenda!  Always good when it's sunny in Scotland, too!

Thank you, Sandi.

Lenda

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Thanks so much for posting the photos, Lenda.  Challenging when out on sea duty.

It's interesting to see this port.  Not only is it rare on itineraries, but seems it's also missed due to weather even when it's on the itinerary.  The two books by William Shawcross, biography and collected letters, left me so fascinated with the Queen Mother that I'm itching to get up there.  Silly, no doubt.  It's pretty darn wild land up there.  Looks pretty, though.

Maxine

Thanks,  Maxine.  DH had the pictures on his tablet.

When we missed a port in Iceland, we headed back to Scrabster, but it was too windy to dock.  

If you want to tour Castle Mey, keep in mind that Prince Charles spends about a week there in August and there are no tours then.

Lenda 

• Like 10

Good afternoon/evening, time for a check-in.  I'm happy to hear @rafinmd has returned home today - you can always recuperate better there.

I want to say a heartfelt thanks to everyone for your prayers for my DSIL's valve replacement yesterday.  I got off the phone with her not 5 minutes ago and she's home!  It's amazing what medical science has done since the days where they had to crack your chest wide open to do such a procedure.  She said they made 2 incisions - one in the radial artery on her arm and the other in the femoral artery in her groin, inserted the valve, and poof!  She's done!  I'm blown away by this.

@Vict0riannI'm sorry to hear your store's supplies and gas are running low.  Hopefully you're like a bunch of us pandemic people who have cupboards and pantries well stocked so you won't run out of the basics for a while.  The gas on the other hand, is another matter - I hope you're either able to get more gas for your vehicle, or don't have to travel anywhere.

What sad news about the police officer's family; mental illness is such a hidden disease, and often not discovered until it's too late.

Stay safe everyone, enjoy your evening ahead!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 16

I have no idea how to multi-quote.  I know I’ve done it a few times, but I don’t know how I did it.  It just happened.  

Roy, glad you are home.  Hope the radiation continues to go smoothly.  How awful about the police officer and his children.  

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I want to say a heartfelt thanks to everyone for your prayers for my DSIL's valve replacement yesterday.  I got off the phone with her not 5 minutes ago and she's home!  It's amazing what medical science has done since the days where they had to crack your chest wide open to do such a procedure.  She said they made 2 incisions - one in the radial artery on her arm and the other in the femoral artery in her groin, inserted the valve, and poof!  She's done!  I'm blown away by this.

what wonderful news, Gerry 👍 So very happy to hear this

26 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

I've chosen to 'Ignore' her.

😂 🤣 I prefer to keep my friends close and my enemies closer 😉 

16 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

It was an uneventful flight to California but even in First Class 5 hours is enough. Great to see our son and his family. Especially our 1.5 year old granddaughter Tilly!

Sunset on the North Atlantic in 2018 was one of my photo memories of the day.

image.thumb.jpeg.a5192438d5aee93c246538871a94c02e.jpeg

So glad it went well.  Beautiful pic

10 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

@kazu I too sent you an email (before curiosity kills the cat)

I absolutely refuse to have a cat killed 😱. You have mail back 😉 

8 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I have no idea how to multi-quote.  I know I’ve done it a few times, but I don’t know how I did it.  It just happened.  

Multi quoting is not hard, Ann.  Right by the quote box is a plus sign - circle in red on my screen shot.

F11AC727-809D-4641-87B0-C5784B10AAC2.thumb.jpeg.1353758f40df343da75b131265dc97a4.jpeg

Just hit that and carry on and hit as many as you want to quote and the on the right hand side of the screen will be the quotes symbol.  For example:

547F10AE-552A-4957-9A85-D97E6F50CC69.thumb.png.c31d8c9d45473a382f47e2e14577cff4.png

Just hit it and all the quotes appear.  You can edit snip, whatever.

Hope this helps.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

@Seasick Sailor So sad to hear about Walter's condition. I hope they can make him comfortable.

@rafinmd I'm glad you're home. What a horrific event with the officers and the kids. How someone could kill their own children is beyond comprehension.

@ger_77 Great to hear that DSIL did well with her surgery and is home already!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon/evening, time for a check-in.  I'm happy to hear @rafinmd has returned home today - you can always recuperate better there.

@Vict0riannI'm sorry to hear your store's supplies and gas are running low.  Hopefully you're like a bunch of us pandemic people who have cupboards and pantries well stocked so you won't run out of the basics for a while.  The gas on the other hand, is another matter - I hope you're either able to get more gas for your vehicle, or don't have to travel anywhere.

What sad news about the police officer's family; mental illness is such a hidden disease, and often not discovered until it's too late.

Stay safe everyone, enjoy your evening ahead!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, great news DSIL is doing well.  Home already too.  Thank goodness!🙏  Back in the late 90's they split my Mom's chest open like you mentioned for her valve replacements.  Boy was it painful and took a long time to heal up.  We should all be grateful for the latest medical advances.

• Like 10

42 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I want to say a heartfelt thanks to everyone for your prayers for my DSIL's valve replacement yesterday.  I got off the phone with her not 5 minutes ago and she's home!  It's amazing what medical science has done since the days where they had to crack your chest wide open to do such a procedure.  She said they made 2 incisions - one in the radial artery on her arm and the other in the femoral artery in her groin, inserted the valve, and poof!  She's done!  I'm blown away by this

That's how they did it with me, as well, although I just got a clip and not a new  valve.  The amazing thing is there's little or no healing involved, coming out of the repair was almost the equivalent of turning on a switch.  I did have a couple of minor restrictions but was walked a lap around my court the day I was discharged feeling an immediate game change.  I was discharged Saturday and approved to drive on Monday.

Roy

• Like 17

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We heard from Walker's wife today. He is nauseous and in pain for the past week. Hospice nurse is giving him heavy pain meds. What a horrible dam disease!!

So sad for your friend and his family!  I am waiting to get more news from our friend John's wife because she said he was having more tests this week to check on progress of his cancer.  I expect the worst!  Why oh why can't we eradicate this disease?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I am in fact back home.  I think I arrived about 4:30 after a member of my church picked me up at the hospital and stopped at the pharmacy and UPS store on the way back  Since I left most unexpectedly I returned to a sink full of dirty dishes but mostly under control otherwise.  I have antibiotic pills for 5 more days and my next radiation treatment is noon tomorrow.

Roy

That is great news.

Best  wishes Jim

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

That's how they did it with me, as well, although I just got a clip and not a new  valve.  The amazing thing is there's little or no healing involved, coming out of the repair was almost the equivalent of turning on a switch.  I did have a couple of minor restrictions but was walked a lap around my court the day I was discharged feeling an immediate game change.  I was discharged Saturday and approved to drive on Monday.

Roy

You did have a fast recovery from that procedure as I recall.  Amazing how that felt like turning on a switch!

Great news that you were finally discharged today from the hospital.  I hope the antibiotics do the trick for you.  👍

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

So sad RIP and  so  sorry for  all the  family  Jim,

• Like 8

Thanks for all the daily reports, humour, help and photos.

Re Guinness World records, the worlds steepest street is here (Baldwin Street).

@Cat in my lapWelcome to the daily.

@AncientWanderer a few years ago, while driving around Scotland, we visited the Castle of Mey, interesting to see  the footstool under the dining table chair where the Queen Mother sat, Prince Charles has his own engraved crystal glasses in a cupboard.   Hope that you will one day get to visit.

@rafinmdso pleased that you are home again.  Take care.

@USN59-79best wishes for the proceedure tomorrow.

Thanks to the folk who multiquoted today,certainly makes for easier reading, @Quartzsite Cruiser very impressed to see 9 multiquotes, thank you.  @kazuthank you for the instructions to multiquote,  how does that work if wanting to quote from a previous page?  I really need to learn some of these skills!!

It's a sunny day here, temperature 22 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks to the folk who multiquoted today,certainly makes for easier reading, @Quartzsite Cruiser very impressed to see 9 multiquotes, thank you.  @kazuthank you for the instructions to multiquote,  how does that work if wanting to quote from a previous page?  I really need to learn some of these skills!!

It’s no different you can hit that plus button as you read, go to the next page and then when you click the post button I showed on my post to Ann, (bottom right hand corner on my ipad), they all appear.  You can edit them, snip if you want or just quote them as is one at a time

12 minutes ago, erewhon said:

It's a sunny day here, temperature 22 C.

What a lovely day.  Wish I could say we had those temps here but alas our seasons are reversed.  enjoy 

and as you can see I just snipped your post.  On my ipad if hit enter, and then up I can break up the post, delete what I don’t want to quote, etc.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Gerry

That is really good news about your DSIL.  Glad everything went smoothly, and that she is home.  It's amazing what they can do medically now.

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

It was an uneventful flight to California but even in First Class 5 hours is enough. Great to see our son and his family. Especially our 1.5 year old granddaughter Tilly!

Glad you arrived safely.  Enjoy the little one and the rest of the family.

The menu in the MDR was not very appealing.  We wound up eating at the Dutch Cafe, and it was good and not too much.  Then, we followed it with dessert in the Lido.

Tomorrow is the Mariner recognition ceremony, and a picture with the captain. 

This is the first time we've stayed late in Puerto Vallarta.  All aboard is 8:30 and we sail at 9 or earlier.  I'm sitting on the balcony enjoying the quiet and the full moon.  Since the eclipse begins at midnight, we'll miss it.

Lenda

• Like 13