Facial Recognition Immigration Now in Los Angeles

Pam in CA

I disembarked the Grand Princess this morning after a 15-day B2B and as we disembarked, we were directed to go down the escalator, collect our luggage and once past the luggage rooms, there were several Immigration officers with small screens with a mirror-like oval. You positioned yourself so the oval covered your face and presto! You were through Immigration. No passport, no other documents needed.

My daughter’s passport hadn’t arrived in time for embarkation on November 5th so she used her birth certificate and driver’s license. She didn’t have to show any documents… the facial recognition worked for her, too. 

I understand this wasn’t in place a week ago so it’s very new. Don’t know if we were the first. It was fast, efficient and very appreciated. We were at the curb less than fifteen minutes of being allowed to disembark, and that included getting our luggage. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

The CBP website (https://biometrics.cbp.gov/sea) lists the following cruise ports as currently using facial biometrics:

"We believe that everything about a cruise should be relaxing, even getting off the ship. With Biometric Facial Comparison, we’ve been able to reduce debarkation times by 30% so you can sail through customs in record time."

Bayonne, NJ
Galveston, TX
Los Angeles/Long Beach, CA
Miami, FL
Mobile, AL
New Orleans, LA
New York City, NY
Port Canaveral, FL
Port Everglades, FL
San Juan, PR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

I disembarked the Grand Princess this morning after a 15-day B2B and as we disembarked, we were directed to go down the escalator, collect our luggage and once past the luggage rooms, there were several Immigration officers with small screens with a mirror-like oval. You positioned yourself so the oval covered your face and presto! You were through Immigration. No passport, no other documents needed.

My daughter’s passport hadn’t arrived in time for embarkation on November 5th so she used her birth certificate and driver’s license. She didn’t have to show any documents… the facial recognition worked for her, too. 

I understand this wasn’t in place a week ago so it’s very new. Don’t know if we were the first. It was fast, efficient and very appreciated. We were at the curb less than fifteen minutes of being allowed to disembark, and that included getting our luggage. 

Pam it was in place when we exited the Majestic on November 6th in San Pedro. Didn't even want to see the passports, just facial recognition.

7 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

I understand this wasn’t in place a week ago so it’s very new. Don’t know if we were the first. It was fast, efficient and very appreciated.

It was in place when we disembarked the Majestic on the 13th, and yes, it was a breeze.

• Like 1

This is great news.  When I disembarked the Celebrity Edge in Fort Lauderdale, we all breezed through with facial recognition.  I also have Global Entry, for which there is often a separate line, but was not needed with the facial recognition.  However, last month I disembarked the Holland America Koningsdam at the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro and the line was horrendous.  It was like going back in a time warp.  I'm so happy to hear they have facial recognition now, especially since I'll be sailing the Grand Princess in two weeks, and I thank you for sharing this happy information. 

3 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Pam it was in place when we exited the Majestic on November 6th in San Pedro. Didn't even want to see the passports, just facial recognition.

Disembarking on 10/30 we didn’t have facial recognition at the Berth 91 tent but at 0845 CBP was quick. Koningsdam was at Berth 93 which croozer said didn’t have it either. You had facial recognition at B91 & Pam at B93 so apparently it’s now active at both LA port’s terminals. 👍😊

• Like 1

We have NEXUS/Global Entry, but I wonder what happens when a Canadian approaches the facial recognition?  Perhaps a fail and then do the usual thing.  I would imagine a Canadian without NEXUS/Global Entry will not be in the CBP system (same for other foreign nationals).

I travel on a New Zealand passport and disembarked with the facial recognition with no issues.   The process did take a few seconds longer than DH in the next line.   No need to see any documents.  Everyone was

in the one line and directed to one of the open lanes.   Cannot remember how many lanes were operating but very efficient.   This was Pier 92 San Pedro.

Edited by kiwimum
  • Like 1

So nice to know that Pam is cruising again.  I always respected both her and Trak's remarks on CC.  I never met Pam but I did have breakfast one morning several years ago with her sister.  While eating breakfast, there was a discussion about insurance.  I started to discuss comments made by Pam on CC relating to her sister's involvement with insurance only to realize sister was right there.  

10 hours ago, AVCruzers said:

So nice to know that Pam is cruising again.  I always respected both her and Trak's remarks on CC.  I never met Pam but I did have breakfast one morning several years ago with her sister.  While eating breakfast, there was a discussion about insurance.  I started to discuss comments made by Pam on CC relating to her sister's involvement with insurance only to realize sister was right there.  

Indeed, happy to see Pam posting experiences again!

On 11/20/2021 at 11:21 PM, Pam in CA said:

Great to hear. Are you going on the February 26, 2022 Love Boat cruise?  I’m organizing another Meet & Greet. My last one on the 50th Anniversary Cruise I had 140 people signed up. Glad your on CC again. We always look forward for your comments. 

Just heard from YouTube that if you use a porter in San Pedro you go straight to the head of the line. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

8 hours ago, trbarton said:

Great to hear. Are you going on the February 26, 2022 Love Boat cruise?  I’m organizing another Meet & Greet. My last one on the 50th Anniversary Cruise I had 140 people signed up. Glad your on CC again. We always look forward for your comments. 

Just heard from YouTube that if you use a porter in San Pedro you go straight to the head of the line. 

Tom😀

Tom, we were on the 50th Anniversary cruise with you. You did a fantastic job organizing that huge M&G. It was 1/4 of the passengers on the ship.

Don't worry about using the porter to get through immigration faster. Good on a full ship with lines but not necessary now. With the facial recognition, the lines move so fast and you are out in a few minutes time. In years past, when we exited cruises in Brooklyn, we always went the porter route. They march you up to a non existent line and go right through customs. Worth the $10 tip. 

3 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Tom, we were on the 50th Anniversary cruise with you. You did a fantastic job organizing that huge M&G. It was 1/4 of the passengers on the ship.

Don't worry about using the porter to get through immigration faster. Good on a full ship with lines but not necessary now. With the facial recognition, the lines move so fast and you are out in a few minutes time. In years past, when we exited cruises in Brooklyn, we always went the porter route. They march you up to a non existent line and go right through customs. Worth the $10 tip. 

Thank you very much. I hadn’t thought about our group bring 1/4 but that sounds right. I may have a fairly large group as one person is bringing 13 people. I’m hoping that my M&G doesn’t conflict with anything else with the cast but I can’t worry about that. Since the ship will probably be a small group perhaps I’ll be given an upgrade like I was on my last cruise. 

Hope everything is going well with you & your sister. I’m sure you’ll always have fond memories of staying in beautiful stateroom. 

Tom😀

We've only dealt with facial recognition once - in Heathrow. You had to position your passport under a scanner and look at the screen. It bombed on me twice and then a guy told me to step back away, remove my glasses, and try again. That time it worked. I had my glasses on in order to read the instructions but my passport picture doesn't have glasses so the process failed. Live and learn.

On 11/21/2021 at 10:27 AM, Steelers36 said:

We have NEXUS/Global Entry, but I wonder what happens when a Canadian approaches the facial recognition?  Perhaps a fail and then do the usual thing.  I would imagine a Canadian without NEXUS/Global Entry will not be in the CBP system (same for other foreign nationals).

All passengers just went through the facial recognition.  Passport information is shared internationally and they pretty much screen all of the info sent from air and cruise lines. It is probably similar to the technology used in Canada when you enter through the Vancouver airport only a bit more streamlined.

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2021 at 6:54 PM, AVCruzers said:

I’ve been cruising all along. 🙂 Just posting mostly on roll calls and on other groups/sites. Sadly, my sister, Nancy, passed away not quite three years ago. 

Yes, I’m on the “Love Boat” cruise in February with my daughter. 

• Like 1