The Daily for Saturday December 18, 2021

richwmn

58 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Are they getting off January 3 as well?

Roy

Yes, as far I know now.  If I find out different I'll let you know.  And thanks again!!

edited to add:    Oppps, it's actually January 2nd.

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

I've been very busy since getting home from CA Thursday night.  Now the laundry has been done, mail collected and sorted and the groceries have been bought and put away -- now time to get ready for Christmas!  My apologies if I missed any celebrations or prayer requests while I was gone, keeping up with the Daily was difficult and posting sometimes impossible.  

Great collection of days today.  I will be baking cookies tomorrow (not today) because DD, DSIL and the grandsons are coming here for dinner before we all go to a drive-thru Christmas Lights display.  Same with the meatballs, we'll be having Swedish Meatballs tomorrow night 😉  

Today I need to start wrapping gifts and more Christmas prep.  I'm so glad I did the decorating and card sending before we left on Dec. 4!

@RowsbyHappy 50th Anniversary!!  

Continued prayers for all on the Care List -- also hoping to hear from Kazu and Himself.

• Like 23

Good morning and Happy Saturday!  I'm very busy today doing pre-cruise stuff so I won't be baking any cookies or making any meatballs.  I'm going to save the cookie making for the Rotterdam bakers.

Happiest of Anniversaries to @Rowsby!!!

Happy Birthday wishes to @aliaschief's DGD and DD!!  Have fun getting your pedicures!

Terri, @Cruzin Terri -- keep asking Santa for your new iPad but I don't it will help with CC gremlins and CC jail.  It seems to hit any device at any given time, very random.  I'm also praying and thinking of you often with your autoimmune disease.  It must be a true struggle.

Prayers for those on the Care list and extra to Jose, Jacqui, and the keeper of our lists, Roy.

I'm on the desktop right now so I'm going to post today's ornament separately from my iPhone.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26

Good morning, all!  I do so envy the Dailyites preparing to cruise...  here I think we are locking down as of Monday and travel is being advised against.   Happy Anniversary to @Rowsby, and Happy Birthdays to @aliaschief's daughter and granddaughter.  I've been worrying about Father @Himself, too, we haven't heard a word from him since he told us he had Covid, have we?  Also, hoping for news from @kazu.  Very worrying...

We did fly to Taiwan (from Hong Kong) once many years ago.  DH's TA had told him we didn't need visas and we actually did, so we were relegated to an airport waiting room in Taipei for about 3 hours and then sent out of the country on the next available flight.   So I'm enjoying the pictures of everything we didn't see.

DD baked eggnog cookies last night and they are sitting on the counter waving to me...  Be strong,  Ann!  I plan to make Irish soda bread and meringues today.  So I'd better get on with it.   Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Hello from Ft. Lauderdale on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I am so happy to be able to check in today. I have not read the Daily in over a week except for today's prayer and care list. I have been thinking of you all and praying for each of you and your loved ones.

We are having a great time. The food is great, entertainment is good as far as trivia, the B.B. Kings band, (even though they don't do slow songs),  the concerts in the Lincoln Center Stage are amazing, the EXC talks we have attended are interesting, the Main Stage shows are lacking and the service is terrific.

@grapau27 Graham, I had a full English breakfast a couple of days ago and thought about you, Pauline and the pictures of your breakfasts. It was delicious and I will probably have it again at least once over the next five days. Maybe I'll even remember to take a picture.

We do not get an internet package when cruising so once we leave this afternoon I won't be back on here until Thursday.

@cunnorl please let me know what day works best for you to meet. We should be settled in the condo by mid afternoon on Thursday and will leave Tuesday, the 27th around noon.

@richwmnthank you so much for sharing my message when CC decided to put me in jail at most inopportune time.

Blessings to you all and know that you are sailing with me in my heart. You have become a part of my life in the short time I have been a part of this site. Thank you.

My thoughts, prayers and celebrations will be with you all.

@NCTribeFan

I can't get the above tag deleted. 😕

I will post a different message for her. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, all! Bake Cookies Day is fitting. Yesterday was mince tarts, and today is more shortbread, and then the Christmas baking is done. The quote made me laugh. Kaohsiung is a part of Taiwan I haven’t been to. On our driving tour of the country, DD skirted it in favour of the mountains. I have several,good shots of yesterday’s destination, Hualien, but turned out to be in the heavy lockdown section of CC jail. Also, thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday. It was very much appreciated, and possibly what made the CC gremlins so vindictive!

My big birthday present was that the main highway to the coast reopens on Monday. They are reserving it for commercial traffic only, but are then letting regular traffic on highway 3. Separating Commercial and private traffic onto different highways is an excellent idea.

This means family Christmas at DS and BIL’s is back on! The road is bad, so,we will be slow and careful, but with no semi’s on the road it will be much better. There will be six of us for Christmas, all fully vaccinated and boostered, so that should be fine.

Yesterday I cut down the banana plants, wrapped the stumps, and put them to,bed for the winter. Last night we got our snow, so it was just in time!

Happy Saturday, all, especially those boarding a BHB today! 
1FB6EA5B-EA55-4C46-A419-C2C91ECD9E21.thumb.jpeg.961910531cf659a43017d413be2205a5.jpeg

• Like 29

@NCTribeFan I am sorry we haven't met yet, but if you see this and want to meet I am on the Seaview pool deck near the women's restroom right now. I will be watching the football game at 4:30 in the Exploration Cafe for about an hour. Then we'll go to dinner, then back for the rest of that game and tonight's game. Or you can try texting me in the Navigator Chat. My name is Julia McCullar.

I remember you have friends boarding today and definitely do not want to take you away from them. I could look for you one day at tea, but don't know what you look like.🙂

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Hello from Ft. Lauderdale on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I am so happy to be able to check in today. I have not read the Daily in over a week except for today's prayer and care list. I have been thinking of you all and praying for each of you and your loved ones.

We are having a great time. The food is great, entertainment is good as far as trivia, the B.B. Kings band, (even though they don't do slow songs),  the concerts in the Lincoln Center Stage are amazing, the EXC talks we have attended are interesting, the Main Stage shows are lacking and the service is terrific.

@grapau27 Graham, I had a full English breakfast a couple of days ago and thought about you, Pauline and the pictures of your breakfasts. It was delicious and I will probably have it again at least once over the next five days. Maybe I'll even remember to take a picture.

We do not get an internet package when cruising so once we leave this afternoon I won't be back on here until Thursday.

@cunnorl please let me know what day works best for you to meet. We should be settled in the condo by mid afternoon on Thursday and will leave Tuesday, the 27th around noon.

@richwmnthank you so much for sharing my message when CC decided to put me in jail at most inopportune time.

Blessings to you all and know that you are sailing with me in my heart. You have become a part of my life in the short time I have been a part of this site. Thank you.

My thoughts, prayers and celebrations will be with you all.

@NCTribeFan

I can't get the above tag deleted. 😕

I will post a different message for her. 

Its lovely to hear you are having a fantastic cruise and having a full English Breakfast as well is amazing.

Very best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

It is so much fun today to read of everyone’s Christmas preps.  Baking, decorating, and so many interesting plans.  I “May” start a little baking tomorrow. Or, I may not!!  I.  certainly don’t have the energy I had during my working years.

I finished my doctor appointment week with two yesterday.  I was pronounced “fit” and in good physical health, considering my age—80 in late March.  So guess all is a go for my mid-January to mid-February trip to Arizona, Hawaii, and then Zuiderdam cruise!

Sending best wishes for anniversaries, birthdays and all events I have missed this week! (Did I say I dislike a week of doctor appointments?). I am thinking of @StLouisCruiserstoday with their family funeral.

Looking forward to a family dinner tonight as my step-daughter and her DH will be in Denver for Christmas.  

Have a great rest of the day, everyone

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily. 

No cookie baking here today. A salute to Wreaths across America. 

Keto meatballs sound like something I'd make. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's destination. Thanks for the pictures.

It's dreary and rainy here today. I'm just relaxing, not doing much. Maybe I should start wrapping presents, although all are for BFF.

@rafinmd Thanks for our lists.

@kazu Continued prayers for Jose, his medical team and you.

@Himself Praying that you are doing ok.

@StLouisCruisers Thinking of you and the family today on this sad occasion.

@grapau27 I'm glad you recovered so well from your heart issue.

@Rowsby HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

@Crazy For Cats It's great that your DM has a sling and not a cast. Years ago my Mother fell and the fracture was high on the upper arm, so she was in a sling. 

@Cruzin Terri Sorry to hear you're still having a lot of issues with your autoimmune disease.

@Horizon chaser 1957 I'm glad to hear the family Christmas is back on!

@cruzn single Congrats on the good doctor's report!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone, during these uncertain times.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

We did fly to Taiwan (from Hong Kong) once many years ago.  DH's TA had told him we didn't need visas and we actually did, so we were relegated to an airport waiting room in Taipei for about 3 hours and then sent out of the country on the next available flight.   So I'm enjoying the pictures of everything we didn't see.

So then, I will post a couple of Hualien pictures that CC jail wouldn’t let me post yesterday!

Hualien is a very pretty and holiday oriented seaside region on the east coast of Taiwan. When driving, you reach it by passing through Toroko Gorge, which cuts through miles and miles of marble. The scenery is breathtaking! Hualien is also the source of the famous Seven Colour Jade. The raw material is shades of grey, but is marbled with bands containing different metal salts. When cut and treated, heat treated? I think?, each metal salt within the stone turns a unique and vibrant shade. Each piece contains its own mix of up to seven possible colours (hence the name). DD and former SIL later gave me a beautiful vase of Seven Colour Jade, which I cherish. There are no additional colouring agents added to the stone, the vibrant colours are intrinsic to the stone itself.

Seven Colour Jade, unique to the Hualien area.

82EDBF4B-0866-4A8E-A9F3-DB770B7BDE83.thumb.jpeg.e04949c939f3ac8bcb5273fd06609def.jpeg

Scenes from Taroko Gorge, just before Hualien, cutting through mountains of marble.

Temple and waterfall.

350188FE-3F3C-4968-A950-E069CAFFB800.thumb.jpeg.a5df5f9aee871809920c60c0edac6bc7.jpeg

Glimpses of the road tunnelling through the stone ahead.

1794D828-605C-4938-A36E-3D6F35BF0E77.thumb.jpeg.43247552b7183b08b339cfe3d4697428.jpeg

Even random boulders look like unpolished marble statues.

784EA1F2-14DD-44B0-A356-7FF7DE8F6D4E.thumb.jpeg.e63da73112dfea4806179ebb9b19426c.jpeg

A glimpse back through one of the tunnels along the edge of the gorge.

1FB90EF6-A9C3-4F1D-BA4F-7E32B445760E.thumb.jpeg.c33ff5b0092aebb9f86b740c9be23f71.jpeg

The view from our hotel in Hualien.

C44225DD-C115-457C-86B0-FB8AD4768FD4.thumb.jpeg.823b44f05f1f9969677c47d1eea9c469.jpeg

Scenes from the night market.

C29E1371-DDA3-430A-A5A9-16E56C08CC92.thumb.jpeg.570c781f04a407c1f382fe2875b26264.jpeg

48FCC5C3-3127-4560-9D1A-983BD8B47983.thumb.jpeg.624ed46000670ff520577b940e5abcfa.jpeg

A few things we DIDN’T order from the food vendors. However, they introduced me to stuffed chicken wings, boned wings stuffed with a sausage like filling, and absolutely wonderful!

4DBB8323-B0C2-42A2-8275-7F43B7FAC4F6.thumb.jpeg.ca2fe883ae98a69a8ff31f254b02df37.jpeg

And of course, EVERYTHING - statues, benches, sidewalks, retaining walls, is made of marble, because that’s the locally available building stone! It doesn’t show in a still photo, but the huge marble ball in the bowl of the fountain is so perfectly round and polished that the water makes it slowly and endlessly roll in place. It’s quite the sight!

749FCED7-2BE5-45F4-BF74-E24EA56D70B5.thumb.jpeg.ac42ce988653942bf925e23f2cdd01ab.jpeg

78660BCF-BF9D-4576-9F4E-41076A4F5BC0.thumb.jpeg.b2aab6ec5a3704b35bb71ab653d66340.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 8

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the day - Stags leap Chardonnay - California - White

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Stags leap Chardonnay

I used the 2019 Karia Chardonnay, since it sounded very intriguing and had the best ratings. Numerous distributors with prices starting at $24.99. 

Stags Leap is a subregion of Napa Valley that is renowned for growing conditions that result in outstanding wines,  It is also central to one of the more amusing incidents of California wine history.  

In the early 1970s two individuals Carl Doumani and  Warren Winiarski founded wineries in the Stags Leap District of Napa Valley.   Wanting to honor the area where their grapes were grown and their wine was made, they each took the name of the district as the name of their winery. All was fine for a bit, until one winery--the one owned by Winiarski--had their Chardonney entered into what became known as the Judgement in Paris and was deemed to be superior to some pretty famous French examples from Burgundy. 

After this, Winiarski decided that Doumani's similarly named winery was confusing consumers and was getting undue recognition.  So, he sued.  The problem was, with both wineries being founded at basically the same time, and each of them releasing their first wine under their respective labels in 1972, neither could truly prove they were first. The case became so heated, that it went all the way to the California Supreme Court. When hearing the case, it was determined that both wineries were founded at the same time, and named for the area, so therefore both had a right to use the name.

The resolution:  Winiarski's Stag’s Leap Wine Cellar would use the apostrophe before the S, and Doumani's Stags’ Leap Winery would use the apostrophe after the S. The court felt this slight grammatical change would differentiate the two brands.

The terrific epilog to this story is that after the settlement, neighbors Doumani and Winiarski became best friends and even jointly produced a wine called Accord.

The Karia bottling that @cat shepard reviewed is produced by Stag's Leap Wine Cellars and Mrs, XBGuy, the resident Chardonnay expert,, rates very highly.  I should also mention that she rates the Stags' Leap Winery Chardonnay equally high.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I am off to an early Pilates class, but in honor of cookies & our own gingerbread cookie baker, Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser…..

46C2EE2C-36B1-44FB-A1FF-EE349F186EBD.jpeg.5dd4660ad8fbeeb54ec43fd086c94d74.jpeg

Ann, thank you for the gingerbread meme.  Before DH had a couple of cookies with his coffee, there were 205 baby gingerbread cookies.  That count does not include the one oddball cookie made from the last of the dough that is too small for the cookie cutters.  Around here it is know as the Blob, but this year it was so small, it was designated as the Blobette.  DH tested it last night.  After four days working on the cookies, it will be a few more days before I will want to eat one.  Until then, I'll stick to my daily chocolate.  😀

5 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

We did the test yesterday as the recommendation is 3-5 days for incubation. It really was as easy as people have indicated. Two recommendations I have is to not use a phone and have plenty of light. We used our laptops which worked well as you need to keep the test card in view for the proctors. Both of us were negative which gave me a sigh of relief as I have the symptoms of a cold since yesterday.  I made a trip out on Wednesday to get Sam's meds and actually was using a KN95 mask while out but must have touched something along the way. 

Now I am wearing a mask indoors! 

- Jack

Glad the post cruise test was negative, but sorry you have a cold.  Take care.

We have the tests, but been too busy to use them.  May get to them today,  just  to be sure we are as well as we feel.  We felt safe on the Konighsdam and in the ports, although we didn't get off the ship the last ten days.  Another plus of spending the winters in Quartzsite is that we drove, so did not have to contend with airports or planes.

5 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Nice collection of days. Yesterday I had my first visit with a cardiologist, not because anything was wrong, but because one of my doctors said everyone my age should have a cardiologist. He is also Sam’s cardiologist and said if I’ve survived the last 6 months I don’t need a stress test. I agree.

Continued prayers for himself and Jacqui and Jose and all who need them.

Stay well everyone,

Carol

Carol, glad you got a good report from the cardiologist.  Having the same one as Sam helps the doctor know you and for you to know hime.

5 hours ago, Rowsby said:

Needed to share.....:)

Today is our 50th Anniversary....and we just can't believe it.....!!!

50th Anniversary.jpg

🎇 HAPPY 50th ANNIVERSARY!  🍾🥂

1 hour ago, JAM37 said:

Julia, glad you are having a great trip.  Your description of the entertainment matches what we found on the Kongingsdam the four weeks we were onboard.  Four shows by the dancers, a movie and the BBC show just didn't do much for us, especially after seeing each dance show once.  Spent a lot of time in Billboard on Board.  Even when they were not playing, we could hear the Rolling Stone Rock Band across the ship, and sitting in Billboard, they were not too loud.  

Enjoy the next cruise.

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

My big birthday present was that the main highway to the coast reopens on Monday. They are reserving it for commercial traffic only, but are then letting regular traffic on highway 3. Separating Commercial and private traffic onto different highways is an excellent idea.

This means family Christmas at DS and BIL’s is back on! The road is bad, so,we will be slow and careful, but with no semi’s on the road it will be much better. There will be six of us for Christmas, all fully vaccinated and boostered, so that should be fine.

Yesterday I cut down the banana plants, wrapped the stumps, and put them to,bed for the winter. Last night we got our snow, so it was just in time!

Happy Saturday, all, especially those boarding a BHB today! 

That is a great birthday present and such happy news that the family Christmas is back on.  Have fun.

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

I finished my doctor appointment week with two yesterday.  I was pronounced “fit” and in good physical health, considering my age—80 in late March.  So guess all is a go for my mid-January to mid-February trip to Arizona, Hawaii, and then Zuiderdam cruise!

Looking forward to a family dinner tonight as my step-daughter and her DH will be in Denver for Christmas.  

Have a great rest of the day, everyone

Wonderful to have suce good news after a week of doctor appointments.  That should make the dreaded week of appointments worth the hassle.

Enjoy your family dinner tonight.

Good afternoon from a sunny, cool and breezy Quartzsite.  

I guess I was about four days early for bake cookies day, but I'm glad they are finished and the kitchen is back to normal.  I support Wreaths Across America and without migrants most of us would be living in another country on another continent.  Today's migrants are an important part of the economy.

Loved the Jay Leno quote.  I know which Texas senator is the designated driver.  🤣

Today, we'll pass on the meal, the drink and the wine.  

We have not been to today's port.  Thank you @tjcox9 and @Horizon chaser 1957 for the pictures.  We love the night markets in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Today is another busy day, but not as tiring (hopefully) as the last week.  I finally found time to do laundry and now, it time to go through the pile of mail from the last five weeks.  

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good Afternoon from a very warm and sunny day at the beach

I am very late today, played golf this AM and now I am wrapping presents.

We participate in Wreaths across America in the reverse. We do the taking them down.  It is a wonderful and sobering event. 

Have not been to todays port- enjoyed seeing the pictures.

@RowsbyHappy Anniversary! May you enjoy many many more. 

@JAM37 Wish I was sitting at the seaview pool! Sounds wonderful.  Anytime on the 26th works for me. Looking forward to meeting you!   Enjoy your cruise. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 21

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

A few things we DIDN’T order from the food vendors. However, they introduced me to stuffed chicken wings, boned wings stuffed with a sausage like filling, and absolutely wonderful!

I wouldn’t have either. Ginger fried intestines don’t quite sound appetizing. 🤢

But the stuffed chicken wings sound interesting. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Stags Leap is a subregion of Napa Valley that is renowned for growing conditions that result in outstanding wines,  It is also central to one of the more amusing incidents of California wine history.  

In the early 1970s two individuals Carl Doumani and  Warren Winiarski founded wineries in the Stags Leap District of Napa Valley.   Wanting to honor the area where their grapes were grown and their wine was made, they each took the name of the district as the name of their winery. All was fine for a bit, until one winery--the one owned by Winiarski--had their Chardonney entered into what became known as the Judgement in Paris and was deemed to be superior to some pretty famous French examples from Burgundy. 

After this, Winiarski decided that Doumani's similarly named winery was confusing consumers and was getting undue recognition.  So, he sued.  The problem was, with both wineries being founded at basically the same time, and each of them releasing their first wine under their respective labels in 1972, neither could truly prove they were first. The case became so heated, that it went all the way to the California Supreme Court. When hearing the case, it was determined that both wineries were founded at the same time, and named for the area, so therefore both had a right to use the name.

The resolution:  Winiarski's Stag’s Leap Wine Cellar would use the apostrophe before the S, and Doumani's Stags’ Leap Winery would use the apostrophe after the S. The court felt this slight grammatical change would differentiate the two brands.

The terrific epilog to this story is that after the settlement, neighbors Doumani and Winiarski became best friends and even jointly produced a wine called Accord.

The Karia bottling that @cat shepard reviewed is produced by Stag's Leap Wine Cellars and Mrs, XBGuy, the resident Chardonnay expert,, rates very highly.  I should also mention that she rates the Stags' Leap Winery Chardonnay equally high.

XBGuy you always amaze me with your wine knowledge!  Thank you!!

• Like 11

Pedicures were great so no snagging sheets or socks!! It was priceless to get to watch granddaughter’s second birthday party. The energy of youth and she is so smart. Six years old and adding and doing multiplication at six! Ask her what 17 x 9 is and other equations and she nails it. 

Just a few minutes ago the neighborhood annual Christmas parade  passed by daughter’s house with Santa and the Grinch!

Headed home in the morning. Will be back after Christmas to help with some babysitting when school is out and parents need to work.

Tis the Season!

• Like 21