E-Z Air Int’l Fare Higher Than Airline’s Website

Pootimer

I asked on Cruise Air Board, but no one has recently experienced this issue.
Have been almost daily checking the SAS website for fares from ORD to CPH this August against Princess fares. SAS’s fare for same class of service was almost $100 less than EZ Air on exact same flight itinerary . Never experienced Princess’ international airfare higher than an airline’s website fare. Always a chance Princess’ fare will down, but I’m just curious is this normal with international airfares with Princess. In the past, we’ve snagged great international fares with EZ Air.

The EZ air price for Hawaii to Phoenix was over $1700 per person first class, $1250 on the Hawaiian Air site. If you request a fully refundable flight on the Hawaiian site, the price jumps to over %1600.

So I believe the refundability issue is now becoming a big Easy Air concern, given the number of cancelations.

19 hours ago, Pootimer said:

Have been almost daily checking the SAS website for fares from ORD to CPH this August against Princess fares. SAS’s fare for same class of service was almost $100 less than EZ Air on exact same flight itinerary . Never experienced Princess’ international airfare higher than an airline’s website fare. Always a chance Princess’ fare will down, but I’m just curious is this normal with international airfares with Princess. In the past, we’ve snagged great international fares with EZ Air.

You have simply reported a proof of the rule that there are exceptions to every rule. 

One thing to consider - as others have pointed out:  When you book an EZ-Air flight, it is generally flexible up to 45 days before flight date (or until you have it ticketed).  When you buy the ticket from the airline, you are subject to their cancellation rules.  If you price shop a refundable ticket and compare that to EZ-Air Flexible, I think you will find EZ-Air wins out. 

And I am finding when shopping air to/from Europe for the past month or so, either Restricted isn't even offered or costs more.  I am certainly not interested in Restricted with EZ-Air in any case.  Flexible lets you change the route, change the date, lock in a lower fare if it comes along, etc.

Airfare has kinda gone all wonky since omnicron popped up. I booked a trip and air on Black Friday and I keep checking on it and the airfare has more than quadrupled. If it's just a small price difference I wouldn't sweat it because it's flexible so if your plans change you can cancel it.

On 12/27/2021 at 6:26 PM, Pootimer said:

I checked SAS site for one way non stop economy fare P/P in August from ORD to CPH - $2569.20 vs. Princess Flexible fare using same flight SAS - $448.00.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 10:15 AM, billco said:

I checked SAS site for one way non stop economy fare P/P in August from ORD to CPH - $2569.20 vs. Princess Flexible fare using same flight SAS - $448.00.

48 minutes ago, Upper Bob said:

We have our one way return flights from CPH to DEN this April through EZ Air in Business Class at $823/ea, while the same exact flight direct through Lufthansa/United is $2,600! 

Airlines really soak for one-way international flights, whereas it doesn't matter domestically anymore (since long long time now).  EZ-Air is at it's best for one-way international.  You may not save as much when booking a round-trip with same airline - however, EZ-Air bookings are flexible with no change/cancel fees until ticketed.

When unable to book EZ-Air (not cruising), I plan to check out the referral by @MaryNewton in post #15 above.  I have been aware of consolidators and not sure which one(s) is/are best, so plan to look into it next time going Europe for a land vacation.  Last times we traveled I still had airline status and points to get business class.  Not anymore.  It has been my guess that EZ-Air works much like a consolidator for international travel.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skynight said:

EZ Air is also a consolidator. Fares are normally lower and they are mostly flexible up to 45 days before. Payment most times not due until final cruise payment date. The daily flexibility and payment are two advantages. 

What I thought.  BUT, it is nice to have another consolidator or two in the back pocket since we cannot use EZ-Air when not cruising.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I have not researched this but a start might be to Google best airfare consolidators or airfare consolidator reviews.  For me, it will be useful to have a couple in mind for when we want to travel overseas and are not cruising.

A site I was looking at looked pretty good. It was an airline friend who clued me into what they were doing.

I do know there are some reputable ones out there.

One other option that I know several have used is American Airlines vacations. You can connect this to a hotel stay (not necessarily the entire time) and you just put a deposit down and don't make final payment until closer to the time frame. It is good when planning far in advance. I have not used it but friends who work in the travel industry have mentioned this to me. I plan on looking at it in the future.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Coral said:

A site I was looking at looked pretty good. It was an airline friend who clued me into what they were doing.

I do know there are some reputable ones out there.

One other option that I know several have used is American Airlines vacations. You can connect this to a hotel stay (not necessarily the entire time) and you just put a deposit down and don't make final payment until closer to the time frame. It is good when planning far in advance. I have not used it but friends who work in the travel industry have mentioned this to me. I plan on looking at it in the future.

I don't of a CC rule that prevents us from posting airfare consolidators, so I open to any other recommendations besides the one posted above.

10 hours ago, Upper Bob said:

We have our one way return flights from CPH to DEN this April through EZ Air in Business Class at $823/ea, while the same exact flight direct through Lufthansa/United is $2,600! 

Same exact flight, but pretty sure it's not the same fare code.