Incorrect Ports - Compensation?

ElisMum23

I apologize if something similar has been asked but I can't find any posts about it.

So we recently booked a cruise with stops in Falmouth and Labadee. I knew these were places we wanted to go so I didn't think much about it when booking. Well after trying to book excursions with no info given, I learned that these stops are likely not even happening. My understanding is Falmouth isn't and hasn't been letting ships in and then due to the political unrest, Labadee is out for the foreseeable future. I 100% understand that ports of call may change for unexpected reasons. What I am upset about is that I booked this cruise directly through a RC rep on the phone, and not once did they mention that these stops may not happen. RC knew this info, yet advertised the cruise as these stops happening. Ultimately, I'm looking at a completely different itinerary. Visiting Falmouth for our 20th anniversary was special to us, that's why I picked this itinerary. If they change the stops to places I haven't been to before, I wont be horribly upset, but I wouldn't have taken a chance on it if I had been informed of the closure of these ports. I know RC in normal circumstances does not have to give any kind of compensation for missed or changed ports but often do something to make it right. What are the chances of them trying to make this right for us since they knew these ports were closed and likely to stay closed, but advertised them as the stops without making it known that they are currently closed upon booking? I know getting in touch with someone is probably going to be a nightmare because of people calling with covid related cancelations and such. Is it worth contacting them about? If I so, any suggestions on what I should ask for or consider as compensation? Maybe on board credit or an upgrade would be an acceptable offer? I really am not familiar with the ways of RC customer service and what I should expect out of them. Thanks for the help! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You will get nothing. RCI can change ports at will for whatever reason they want. An upgrade? Seriously? You think offering you a many hundred dollar cabin upgrade would be acceptable? Sorry, you either accept the ports they are going to now or you cancel and rebook a year or two from now when port stops might be more stable. 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, ElisMum23 said:

I apologize if something similar has been asked but I can't find any posts about it.

So we recently booked a cruise with stops in Falmouth and Labadee. I knew these were places we wanted to go so I didn't think much about it when booking. Well after trying to book excursions with no info given, I learned that these stops are likely not even happening. My understanding is Falmouth isn't and hasn't been letting ships in and then due to the political unrest, Labadee is out for the foreseeable future. I 100% understand that ports of call may change for unexpected reasons. What I am upset about is that I booked this cruise directly through a RC rep on the phone, and not once did they mention that these stops may not happen. RC knew this info, yet advertised the cruise as these stops happening. Ultimately, I'm looking at a completely different itinerary. Visiting Falmouth for our 20th anniversary was special to us, that's why I picked this itinerary. If they change the stops to places I haven't been to before, I wont be horribly upset, but I wouldn't have taken a chance on it if I had been informed of the closure of these ports. I know RC in normal circumstances does not have to give any kind of compensation for missed or changed ports but often do something to make it right. What are the chances of them trying to make this right for us since they knew these ports were closed and likely to stay closed, but advertised them as the stops without making it known that they are currently closed upon booking? I know getting in touch with someone is probably going to be a nightmare because of people calling with covid related cancelations and such. Is it worth contacting them about? If I so, any suggestions on what I should ask for or conside as compensation? Maybe on board credit or an upgrade would be an acceptable offer? I really am not familiar with the ways of RC customer service and what I should expect out of them. Thanks for the help! 

Actually there was just an article in the news section of Cruise Critic that Royal has been advertising for positions at Labadee, so they appear to be getting ready to return there soon.

No chance at all. No ports are guaranteed in your cruise contract, and they all can change. The ship technically doesn’t have to stop at any ports. We booked a cruise for 1/9/22 for the same itinerary. They changed it to an Eastern with St Kitts and St Thomas. When we set sail, St.kitts was replaced by st martin. St Thomas was ultimately skipped due to covid thresholds we got compensated for that port). No recourse for the rest of the changes.

• Like 3

Just now, PugM0m said:

Actually there was just an article in the news section of Cruise Critic that Royal has been advertising for positions at Labadee, so they appear to be getting ready to return there soon.

Wow I will have to go search for it. Because I can't book shore excursions for anything but Coco Cay. And other sites I watch for a change in fare have taken the stops off completely. 

1 minute ago, ElisMum23 said:

Explorer of the Seas for August 28th. Booked it a week ago. 

So 6 months from now?  TONS can happen between now and then.  And as someone else posted, they are supposed to be back at Labadee starting at the end of this month.  

• Like 2

Just now, ElisMum23 said:

Wow I will have to go search for it. Because I can't book shore excursions for anything but Coco Cay. And other sites I watch for a change in fare have taken the stops off completely. 

You are still pretty far out from your sailing.  Just keep checking your cruise planner.  

2 minutes ago, ElisMum23 said:

Shore excursions for ports of call generally don’t become available for booking until 60-90 days pre-cruise.

7 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Thats the equivalent of 28 cat years away.  A lot will be changed by then.  Hopefully for the better.

LOL yeah I know. I just wanted to contact them ASAP if these ports have and will continue to be known no-gos. I do understand things happen. It's just frustrating that they didn't even mention that they currently were both closed when I booked. I would have considered something different. 

• Like 1

As others have said, a lot can happen between now and August, so you could still very well stop at those ports.  Secondly, if you have trip insurance, some of them will compensate for missed ports, assuming you a) went on the cruise and b) can provide documentation that the ports changed after you booked.  

10 minutes ago, ElisMum23 said:

LOL yeah I know. I just wanted to contact them ASAP if these ports have and will continue to be known no-gos. I do understand things happen. It's just frustrating that they didn't even mention that they currently were both closed when I booked. I would have considered something different. 

If those ports (and the ones we have missed so far) are still closed in August for the same reasons they are closed today, the only place cruise lines will be sailing to is bankruptcy court.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ElisMum23 said:

I booked more than one that has been changed much like yours.

My original port charges are higher than the new port charges. I asked my travel agent about getting the difference since the port charges are lower now and he said I MIGHT get a obc during the  cruise, nothing before. But even that's not for sure. Jan 30 and march 27 port charges dropped. I had caymans, jamaica and cozumel, now costa maya and belize or roatan, 2 mexican ports cheaper than Jamaica and caymans.

Both my sept port charges dropped and ports havent yet changed, but unless I cancel and rebook I have to pay the original higher port fees. If I cancel and rebook I lose the double pts promotion. 

So anyway .. that's what might happen. If your port fees drop you might get a obc .. during the cruise. Nothing before.

This isnt something new ..you click to agree any ports can be changed. Or you dont board. Either go or dont. I'm still going.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

Had two ships in port at Falmouth when we were there on 12/22/21 so no idea why you believe port stop won't happen.  But agree with other posters - the contract you signed when you booked your cruise doesn't require a ship to stop anywhere, let alone the places you think they will stop.  We have had multiple cruises with missed ports, western itinerary vs scheduled eastern, and ports changed while onboard.  

After multiple cruise cancellations last spring we were not going to get a cruise on our 50th.  So decided to fly to our favorite island Aruba.  Great non-cruise vacation.

53 minutes ago, ElisMum23 said:

Explorer of the Seas for August 28th. Booked it a week ago. 

That's still a long ways away. Unless Royal has made an official itinerary change for your cruise, there's still a chance you may go to those ports.

Once, and if, they make an official change, you may be able to cancel.

Meantime don't fret over something in the future beyond your control.

• Like 2

What you will receive is a refund (typically to your on board account) of any port fees charged for those ports of call that will be missed, along with any ship-booked excursions that may have been placed. 

If different ports of call are arranged in their place, adjustments will be made for port fees applicable to those new ports of call.

Nothing more. 

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

No chance at all. No ports are guaranteed in your cruise contract, and they all can change. The ship technically doesn’t have to stop at any ports. We booked a cruise for 1/9/22 for the same itinerary. They changed it to an Eastern with St Kitts and St Thomas. When we set sail, St.kitts was replaced by st martin. St Thomas was ultimately skipped due to covid thresholds we got compensated for that port). No recourse for the rest of the changes.

At that point, when we stopped off to exchange crew members on that very early Monday....I thought..

"Ok" so we made our PVSA requirement.  Could have legally just spun around at sea the rest of the week..  😮  Though I know they had to fuel up the tank at St. Maarten.  😉 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

What you will receive is a refund (typically to your on board account) of any port fees charged for those ports of call that will be missed, along with any ship-booked excursions that may have been placed. 

If different ports of call are arranged in their place, adjustments will be made for port fees applicable to those new ports of call.

Nothing more. 

That's only if you get a sea day. If they are replaced you MIGHT get the difference but maybe not per my ta.

1 hour ago, ElisMum23 said:

You are way too far out to book shore excursions.  An awful lot can happen in the next seven months.  

• Like 1