Incorrect Ports - Compensation?

ElisMum23

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I kept up with the harmony thread john was on last week. They got a pro rated amount back equal to 1/7 of the cruisefare they paid not necessarily what they paid.

He has the same TA as I do. I've read others who got a pro rated amount of cruisefare back. I'm going to trust john and some others before you. 

While I know in the past things have been handed differently .. I've read posts by trusted posters. Ok believe what you want that multiple posters made up what they received. But good luck. Argue away. I'm saying it's being handled sometimes differently than what you believe. Read some live posts from cruisers. 

PS I'm pretty sure if you search john and others posted a rcl letter they received in their cabin regarding the pro rated cruisefare refund when they missed a port. I've seen it in print. Vs what was in the past you insist is how rcl does it. 

OK, so I am not above admitting when I am wrong.  My specific focus with my comments were relative to port fees only and their return if a port of call is missed.  But in the context that you and the others referenced of receiving additional credit or OBC resulting from a missed port of call is indeed correct.  We experienced that very situation on our last cruise two weeks ago where we did receive compensation for missing St. Thomas.  Clearly this was in an amount greater than just the port fees of my discussion!  So I stand corrected now by understanding the broader context of the conversation.  I am a very experienced cruiser as well but, as they say, in this instance wasn't seeing the forest for the trees!   

• Like 2

12/31 Anthem cruise. 

Ports at booking were Labadee, San Juan, St. Maarten

Prior to sailing, Ladadee was replaced with St. Thomas = San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

Prior to sailing, San Juan was cancelled =  added sea day, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

During sailing, St. Thomas was cancelled and replaced with St. Kitts = St. Maarten, St. Kitts

Docked at St. Maarten for the day (one day earlier than originally scheduled)

Next day we were docked at "St. Kitts" but it was changed to Antigua during the night.

Received zero OBC for missed port or a refund of port charges for missed port.

TL;DR - if you're not comfortable with change, don't book a cruise, especially during a pandemic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I am not confused.  The discussion is only with regards to port fees.  And I am not talking about an adjustment to port fees paid that have changed since they were paid.

What I am saying is if a port of call is canceled you will receive a refund for the amount paid in port fees for that missed port of call.  If a new port of call is scheduled in its place an adjustment for that port of call's fees relative to the missed port of call is made to the booking. Happens all the time.

Have you sailed lately?

Lack of port fee refunds seems common lately

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Recent passengers are being told the refund only happens if the total port charges as of today are less than you paid at time of booking.

Now if a port gets cancelled due to failing the local covid limitations, you stand a good chance of getting one day's worth of refundable OBC

Hasn’t this always been the case?

The adjustment has always been the difference on the actual sailing vs what was estimated at time of booking - that is why you don’t get the lower (or higher) port charges/ taxes when you call up for a price reduction.

It has nothing to do with sea days/port cancellations (they are a completely separate compensation).

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

You only get full compensation if a port is missed and you have a sea day. Though lately if a port is totally missed rcl often gives a prorated refund ... read some live threads.

My ta is almost never incorrect so I suspect you are confused.

Let's say when I book port fees and taxes are 127, new ports now its 111 ... I cant price match and get it unless there is a new booking. By sept when I actually go the port fees may have gone up on the replaced ports. There is no guarantee i will get any obc for the changed ports. Sorry but my ta is excellent .. correcting the wrong person. 

I have a slew of booked cruises in my signature and several have changed. I'm well aware of how it works. 

I think the confusion is you are arguing two different points - fees and compensation.

And no you will not get reduced port fees until, and if, they are reduced when you sail.

John, your TA and leaveitalbehind are all correct in their individual statements.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I think the confusion is you are arguing two different points - fees and compensation.

And no you will not get reduced port fees until, and if, they are reduced when you sail.

John, your TA and leaveitalbehind are all correct in their individual statements.

I appreciate your clarity on this.  There are two different point and I was indeed focusing on fees, others on compensation.  But in the full context of both, both points are correct. I then was trying to take the high road with my response acknowledging my myopia with my conversation and recognizing the full context of both.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ElisMum23 said:

Explorer of the Seas for August 28th. Booked it a week ago. 

If you have any idea what will be happening by August, please share! Labadee will resume by the end of this month. We've often had ports changed due to hurricane, civil unrest, too many ships in Port. It's part of cruising and is in your cruise contract as an accepted risk. 

6 hours ago, ElisMum23 said:

So we recently booked a cruise with stops in Falmouth and Labadee. I knew these were places we wanted to go so I didn't think much about it when booking.

You are the first person I've ever encountered so far who actually wants to go to Falmouth.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Next day we were docked at "St. Kitts" but it was changed to Antigua during the night.

lol, it was the opposite for us on HOTS during Thanksgiving. Antigua was replaced with St Kitts 2 days before the cruise, because the water wasn't deep enough for HOTS at Antigua port. I don't believe we got any refunds of the taxes, so I am assuming they were similar to Antigua's.

@OP, 

We are scheduled to cruise to Labadee in May 2022, but I am almost 100% sure it's not going to happen. I'll be happy with any other port, with a notable exception of Falmouth.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

15 hours ago, orville99 said:

The one bright side of cancelling our second leg and not visiting any ports on the first leg is that we really didn't have a lot of laundry to do. Most of the dressier clothes went back into the suitcases exactly as they were when we originally packed them.😇

Everything is now hung up just waiting to be repacked for our February cruise.

LOL...so true.   But I did break up the ironing into two days.  They are now ready to be stuffed back into the suitcases for wrinkle duty again this time next week.  😄 

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I kept up with the harmony thread john was on last week. They got a pro rated amount back equal to 1/7 of the cruisefare they paid not necessarily what they paid.

He has the same TA as I do. I've read others who got a pro rated amount of cruisefare back. I'm going to trust john and some others before you. 

While I know in the past things have been handed differently .. I've read posts by trusted posters. Ok believe what you want that multiple posters made up what they received. But good luck. Argue away. I'm saying it's being handled sometimes differently than what you believe. Read some live posts from cruisers. 

PS I'm pretty sure if you search john and others posted a rcl letter they received in their cabin regarding the pro rated cruisefare refund when they missed a port. I've seen it in print. Vs what was in the past you insist is how rcl does it. 

I was one of them.  My refund of losing St. Thomas happened on both of my B2B weeks.  The refunds pretty much wiped out the bill I had for "self upgrade" to a GS, and then an OS from my JS that was tacked onto my sea pass account.   Worked for me.  🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakeil7 said:

One word for you:

Hurricane

<Insert YT link to “Rock You Like a Hurricane here> 😛

Exactly.

Your bigger concern is that you are booked during the peak of hurricane season.

You may have a cruise that is cancelled or an itinerary that is completely changed to an itinerary in the western Caribbean or a week in the Bahamas.

Rule of thumb for cruising: If it is of prime important that a certain port be visited, then don't book a cruise. Visit that city on a land vacation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Exactly.

Your bigger concern is that you are booked during the peak of hurricane season.

You may have a cruise that is cancelled or an itinerary that is completely changed to an itinerary in the western Caribbean or a week in the Bahamas.

Rule of thumb for cruising: If it is of prime important that a certain port be visited, then don't book a cruise. Visit that city on a land vacation.

We were on NCL back a few years- more like 9 years now that I'm counting- in late June  . Had to miss St Thomas at the last minute  ( I can't remember the reason ) . By last  minute I mean we had her in sight but we were told we would have a late arrival and ultimately, no arrival . We were disappointed as we have a friend who owned a shop there at the time and we would miss our visit with her . We got over it quickly.

Some other people were VERY upset, especially the bridal party and guests for an island wedding. They had more guests waiting on St Thomas . The bride was already dressed in her gorgeous gown as were several bridesmaid and her mom. I don't know the outcome of her tale , but my then 12 yo daughter said " there goes my hopes of ever having a destination wedding". 

We have a decent number of cruises under our belts, not like a lot of the pros here on the boards whom we intend to emulate if we ever get to retire!

Our alleged upcoming Allure cruise will be number 38 or 39 and we have missed ports only 3 times. Two were during the same cruise on Royal ( I think Sovereign !) during a freak winter storm and  began on  Super Bowl Sunday. Lost the television or satellite feed which created more chaos than the missed ports and wide-spread sea sickness . Never saw so many people throw up in stairwells since my college days!

We will be happy just to be cruising and out of this 12 degree weather and ice , but I understand OP frustration. Hope you get to Falmouth, Elismom!!