Costa Magica to Carnival Fleet

brilliantseas

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

The Fantasy class ships that remain (at least after October when Ecstasy leaves the fleet) are actually younger than Sunshine. The renovation didn't reset her age, she's still nearing 30 years old. I don't think any of these ships will be sailing for Carnival in 10 years, but all I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised to see Sunshine be the first to go.

Cruise ships don’t magically time out at 30yo — plenty have made it well into their 40s, and some in their 50s.  Cruise ships are generally retired when they’re no longer economical for their operator. 

Undoubtedly the Fantasy-class ships would’ve lingered around much longer sans the pandemic.  Not every itinerary needs the latest & greatest; the Fantasy-class operated itineraries that appealed toward price sensitive passengers, and weekend runs where the party atmosphere matters more than the amenities.  The pandemic and port closures presented an opportunity to Carnival to retire some ships, and it went with the ones that generated the least revenue.  The Fantasy class lacked balconies and square footage to implement upsell opportunities.  The Sunshine doesn’t have those problems.

3 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Cruise ships don’t magically time out at 30yo — plenty have made it well into their 40s, and some in their 50s.  Cruise ships are generally retired when they’re no longer economical for their operator. 

It's a bit of a yes and no to this statement, unfortunately.  Once a cruise ship reaches a certain age, I believe 30, they MUST have dry docks at a higher frequency...within 2 years.  Every time ships are out of the water is time they aren't making money.

on top of that,

• The older ships are significantly less fuel efficient
  • They aren't sailing at capacity
  • Inflation is impacting supplies for every voyage - every ingredient is facing a higher cost, which is typically free to customers, today sailing on a discounted cruise fare and must absorb the cost "no such thing as free..."
  • Fuel is continuing to rise with absolutely no end or level off in sight
  • Carnival Corp is sitting in $33 Billions (with a B) in debt, which all have due dates. Last quarter, they had $368 Million in interest payments alone.

Every cruise line is chasing as much profit as they possibly can right now.  Based on the bullet points above, if the formula makes sense to offload an additional ship or two, they will go that route.

It's been stated that it looks like the Seabourn brand is for sale, which will be another cash infusion they can use to pay down more debt (5 ships and two on order). I've read on other conversations on CC that others wouldn't be surprised to see HAL and/or Cunard to follow Seabourn.

In the end, they will definitely come out stronger - the steps to get there may be tough but necessary.  Looking at total ship orders, Carnival Corp has 8 ships on order, Royal Caribbean has 8, NCLH has 9, MSC with 10.

Brian

54 minutes ago, Beezo said:

It's a bit of a yes and no to this statement, unfortunately.  Once a cruise ship reaches a certain age, I believe 30, they MUST have dry docks at a higher frequency...within 2 years.  Every time ships are out of the water is time they aren't making money.

on top of that,

• The older ships are significantly less fuel efficient
  • They aren't sailing at capacity
  • Inflation is impacting supplies for every voyage - every ingredient is facing a higher cost, which is typically free to customers, today sailing on a discounted cruise fare and must absorb the cost "no such thing as free..."
  • Fuel is continuing to rise with absolutely no end or level off in sight
  • Carnival Corp is sitting in $33 Billions (with a B) in debt, which all have due dates. Last quarter, they had $368 Million in interest payments alone.

Every cruise line is chasing as much profit as they possibly can right now.  Based on the bullet points above, if the formula makes sense to offload an additional ship or two, they will go that route.

It's been stated that it looks like the Seabourn brand is for sale, which will be another cash infusion they can use to pay down more debt (5 ships and two on order). I've read on other conversations on CC that others wouldn't be surprised to see HAL and/or Cunard to follow Seabourn.

In the end, they will definitely come out stronger - the steps to get there may be tough but necessary.  Looking at total ship orders, Carnival Corp has 8 ships on order, Royal Caribbean has 8, NCLH has 9, MSC with 10.

Brian

I know this is nit picking, but instead of saying "free", I would say there are things that are "included in your cruise fare" and "not included in your cruise fare".

In reality the "free" things are what you have already paid for which were part of the base fare. 

8 hours ago, stobe1 said:

I know this is nit picking, but instead of saying "free", I would say there are things that are "included in your cruise fare" and "not included in your cruise fare".

In reality the "free" things are what you have already paid for which were part of the base fare. 

That’s better to say, I agree 🙂

many of those included items can be unlimited quantities too, lol. 

8 minutes ago, shof515 said:

It looks like the plans of transferring the Magica to Carnival has been scrapped. Instead, another Costa ship the Costa Luminosa  will be sailing for Carnival doing cruises down under later this year:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/27685-costa-luminosa-to-transfer-to-carnival-cruise-line.html 

Was initially excited  till I read where she is headed.  

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:32 PM, kicia said:

We have 5 cruises on the Pride in the  summer of  2023 in Europe so I sure hope it is still sailing there.

What?  The Pride sailings are down for 2023.  Glad I saw this. I was about to book air fare. 

Yaayyy!  Another Spirit class ship for Carnival!  Just been over on cruise deck plans checking her out.  I know she is another Farcus design, but looking at the cabins, the interiors are pure Carnival.  Same colors, couches, etc.  since she will be spending our summers in Alaska, might be an excuse to do it for a third time.  EM

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MeganGC1983 said:

What I read said it will NOT initially get the Funship 2.0 upgrade. 

Well that's a bummer. Guess I will be sticking to The Splendor.  Honestly, I liked the Splendor even with its strange "circles" everywhere.

• Like 1

Wish they would transfer Costa Deliziosa, too.  The last of the Spirit class.  They could replace to last of the Fantasy class when they are retired, as they can get into the ports the others can’t, like Tampa and JAX.  EM

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beezo said:

Piggy back off the other day's comments - It looks like Carnival Corp sold another ship in the Aida Fleet - built in 2002.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/27678-another-carnival-corp-ship-sold-aidavita-to-leave-fleet.html

I hope they don't change the paint scheme. It reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

v5z4n639g1y11.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

AidaVita.JPG

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Yaayyy!  Another Spirit class ship for Carnival!  Just been over on cruise deck plans checking her out.  I know she is another Farcus design, but looking at the cabins, the interiors are pure Carnival.  Same colors, couches, etc.  since she will be spending our summers in Alaska, might be an excuse to do it for a third time.  EM

All the older Costa ships have the same layout and furniture. 

She would be really good for Alaska. Would be good if Carnival sailed from Vancouver. A much better experience doing the Inside Passage rather than the open sea first day from Seattle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

All the older Costa ships have the same layout and furniture. 

She would be really good for Alaska. Would be good if Carnival sailed from Vancouver. A much better experience doing the Inside Passage rather than the open sea first day from Seattle.

Better experience, but also significantly higher costs.  Holland America can pass those costs on to customers much easier than the Carnival brand.  

44 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Well that's a bummer. Guess I will be sticking to The Splendor.  Honestly, I liked the Splendor even with its strange "circles" everywhere.

I hated the Splendor mainly because of those Pepto bismol dots everywhere. I'm on the Pride now and it's a dreary, dark ship. I literally just checked out a RECENT video of the Luminosa and it's head and shoulders nicer than the Pride or the Splendor https://youtu.be/aOXhcT2855Q

21 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I hated the Splendor mainly because of those Pepto bismol dots everywhere. I'm on the Pride now and it's a dreary, dark ship. I literally just checked out a RECENT video of the Luminosa and it's head and shoulders nicer than the Pride or the Splendor https://youtu.be/aOXhcT2855Q

Thank you for posting the youtube link. Filmed in March 2022 so recent as you say.

I loved seeing the Peppa Pig theme in the kid's club. My granddaughters used to love Peppa.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 7:19 AM, mz-s said:

I think it'll be the Carnival Magica so they don't have to change out all the interior signage and the Captain can just scribble over "Costa" on his business cards.

Little did I know how right I would be. Although Carnival tricked me at the last minute and changed out the ship.