COVID patients in hotels-Port Canaveral

Meem47

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I don't think anyone knows for sure what is going on now in those hotels since the cruislines threw there hands up and don't know what to do.

Pretty sure the CDC wouldn't be happy now that they  aren't monitoring it any more  in designated hotels etc..........now just go any hotel you want to go to.

The only thing that would make the CDC happy would be for the cruise lines to be shut down.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I don't think anyone knows for sure what is going on now in those hotels since the cruislines threw there hands up and don't know what to do.

Pretty sure the CDC wouldn't be happy now that they  aren't monitoring it any more  in designated hotels etc..........now just go any hotel you want to go to.

Royal might have been picking out a hotel for yiu but carnival never has. I followed along with a gal who was positive in Galveston and flew in from RI so they couldnt get on a airplane. She said carnival handed her a list and free wifi onboard and said have at it, book your own room. Carnival doesnt reimburse and Galveston is quite high so she found her own hotel near hobby. Her negative husband fetched her food. Had his own hotel room there. No one from the cruiseline was monitoring she stayed there or tested negative. 

Someone in almost any hotel could be positive. The only thing keeping her in her hotel room was airlines maybe ask if you have been exposed and she would have had to lie to fly home without quarantining. With carnival you have always been on your own if you test positive. Yes per the cdc they got a list of hotels that allow positives to stay there. 

Your post assumes the cruiselines are actively monitoring the positives once off the ship. I think she got one call 3 days after debarking.  Mardi gras and at least one other smaller carnival ship also goes out of PC. I have a condo in PC and my downstairs neighbor tested positive .. she got it somewhere locally. 

8 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

A couple on HAL (Bill & Mary Ann/screen name "WCB") have posted that they were in quarantine at the Marriott in FLL after she tested positive (husband was negative) in the middle of their 12-18-21 to 4-26-22 Nieuw Statendam/Nieuw Amsterdam cruises. She was switched to a quarantine room for 2 days until they got back to FLL and then transferred to the Marriot for 10 days - they are trying to make it back onboard to finish the rest of their string of sailings.

(Her very interesting Covid story starts at post #234)

Thanks for posting the link. That's fascinating and she is a very good writer. They also live locally to us, here in California. Interesting read. :classic_smile:

5 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Doubt that there are that many new crew joining the ships in January.

Why?  I'm doing a B3B on Navigator, and both times as they processed consecutive cruisers on and off the ship, there was a line of crew members with suitcases on the pier waiting for us to all process through CBP so that they could process through as they left the ship at the end of their contract. 

If a dozen or so crew members are leaving twice in four days, it would make sense that two dozen crew members came on to replace them.  

The Loyalty Ambassador on Navigator is leaving next Monday. My assistant waiter for the middle leg of my B3B just had her first day of work this Monday.  

Crew comes and goes at all times... even in January.  

I swear I read somewhere that people could also pick their own quarantine hotel.  Since DH and I really want to avoid getting sick early on in the cruise, we are planning to be extra cautious at our hotel.  Since we have been fairly cautious, especially the last few months, we are like 99% sure we will pick up some sort of cold or covid at some point in the trip 😉

Is the concern of the OP that there are hotels in PC that have possible positive covid people and the OP may catch it by being on same floor even though there are walls, masks, social distancing?  Have we learned anything in 2 years?  Your neighbor in an apartment next door could be positive.  The person next to you in a pew at church could be positive.  Your relative or close friend giving you a hug could be positive.  I for one can't live and don't live like that.  And if they are positive, either go to another hotel or an airbnb if you are that concerned or put your mask on and stay 12 ft or whatever distance you feel comfortable with away from those rooms.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I swear I read somewhere that people could also pick their own quarantine hotel.  Since DH and I really want to avoid getting sick early on in the cruise, we are planning to be extra cautious at our hotel.  Since we have been fairly cautious, especially the last few months, we are like 99% sure we will pick up some sort of cold or covid at some point in the trip 😉

I’m certain that Jessy and her husband booked their own room at the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale. 

5 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’m certain that Jessy and her husband booked their own room at the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale. 

She said they did, so they could get their hotel points.  If I were in that situation, I would do the same.  

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

of course!  And the person who would walk all over the place unmasked would be fine!

Two of the hospitals that I am on staff, are now alowing employees to return to work even with a positive test, as long as they are 5 days free of symptoms.  Point being, you have no idea, anywhere, what you are surrounded by.  I sure as heck would not be sweating staying in a "quarantine hotel" or eating breakfast in one. 

This whole thread is really a lot of displaced anxiety, about an issue that is of no additional danger to anyone involved, in comparison to their every day, normal, day to day life. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 6:19 AM, Meem47 said:

Good morning all! It’s cruise day for us as we prepare to embark on Mariner of the Seas.  This will be our first cruise back since Oct 2019.  One observation us “northerners” have is noticing how many COVID patients are being quarantined in the surrounding hotels.  We are at the SpringHill and they have many patients as well as the Radission, Home2Suites etc. apparently this is “the new norm” in traveling.   Hotel has been great…just sharing for anyone immunocompromised or at risk.  🙂

yeah they are also walking around grocery stores too.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 11:57 AM, h20skibum said:

Everyone tests on a daily basis on Viking. 

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Thanks. Good to know. Whatever it takes to keep everyone safe! 😷

There won’t be any oceans to cruise in if we keep testing at this rate.  A covid test pile the size of Texas just floating around 

• Haha 2

On 1/28/2022 at 6:19 AM, Meem47 said:

Good morning all! It’s cruise day for us as we prepare to embark on Mariner of the Seas.  This will be our first cruise back since Oct 2019.  One observation us “northerners” have is noticing how many COVID patients are being quarantined in the surrounding hotels.  We are at the SpringHill and they have many patients as well as the Radission, Home2Suites etc. apparently this is “the new norm” in traveling.   Hotel has been great…just sharing for anyone immunocompromised or at risk.  🙂

Great information, we canceled our cruise for January 2022, wife cancer survivor and compromised immune system.

We’re very hopeful in November then omicron came and doctors advised against it.

Can’t wait to get onboard again.
We love all the activities and seeing less dancing opportunities Zumba and theme parties and live music is so sad. Just wondering when the new normal will be similar to the old times.

We used to get in 20,000 steps plus per day with the dancing opportunities.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Can we stop calling them patients?  These people at worst have cold and many feel 100% and are bound by rules that wouldn't apply to anyone else.

Not necessarily. For those who follow Jordan on the Adventure, she said that her first few days were the worst she has felt in her entire life. And a week later, she did not have the energy for basic exercises in her room. I have a couple of vaxxed and boosted friends who had it recently and they both got pretty sick (the fever and cough really knocked them down).

I would add that in our home town, about 10% of the people in hospitals with COVID are vaxxed and boosted individuals. 

It's not always a 10 day vacation. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 2

This is a COVID hotel in a resort area, away from the port. All of the patients in this hotel are COVID positive. They even have a nurse that does wellness checks a couple of times a day.  Food and supplies are left on tables outside each room. HAZMAT garbage and linen bags are removed by orderlies in PPE. 

image.png.9df4fc6de6acca9ddd66af459fa1b910.png

image.png.fcb1ec51e2fe0b14403ec8cde24b9d6c.png

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 1:05 PM, cementhands said:

Great information, we canceled our cruise for January 2022, wife cancer survivor and compromised immune system.

We’re very hopeful in November then omicron came and doctors advised against it.

Can’t wait to get onboard again.
We love all the activities and seeing less dancing opportunities Zumba and theme parties and live music is so sad. Just wondering when the new normal will be similar to the old times.

We used to get in 20,000 steps plus per day with the dancing opportunities.

This is exactly why I posted….I am hoping your wife is doing well after her treatments and you can cruise soon!

On 1/28/2022 at 4:27 PM, BND said:

This post is about FL, not PR.  Florida doesn't have the same rules/restrictions that PR does.  It could still be crew being quarantined.  And, people keep assuming this has something to do with Royal.  The OP is just guessing also.

Has anyone posted about being quarantined in PC after a cruise?

Yes, there were plenty of passengers on Christmas cruises that had to quarantine in hotels after getting off their ships at various ports.     I am sure we all remember Rosy as one of them😇

On 1/28/2022 at 10:57 PM, Jimbo said:

that's only if they stay in their room, no one is up there watching their every move you know.

I remember someone from another thread that was quarantined in a hotel after a cruise was told that if they leaved the hotel room their key card would not work to re-enter.    

But easy enough if you have someone stay in the room to open the door for you as long as you don't need a key card for access to anywhere else such as elevator or front / side door of a hotel. 

On 1/29/2022 at 1:13 AM, HappyInVan said:

Doubt that there are that many new crew joining the ships in January.

Yes, crew changeovers were happening on our sailing on Jan 9th.   I forget it was either St Maarten or Barbados but we saw a bunch of crew getting off and new crew getting on Anthem.

One of our favorite bartenders was scheduled to fly home for 3 months at end of our cruise but he was advised he would have to wait till another 12 days as his replacement bartender that was in quarantine had tested positive so he wouldn't leave until the end of the next 11 night cruise.    I am sure stuff like this happens on a regular basis.

On 1/28/2022 at 12:12 PM, BND said:

My first thought is crew being quarantined before boarding ships, not sick/positive tested people.  BTW, it's what they've been doing with crew all along.  Who exactly would be quarantining patients in hotels?  People are self-quarantining when necessary.  From all reports of those that have been tested positive  are free to travel in the US, but are expected to use precautions.   I think people need to take a step back and realize this post is probably completely incorrect in its assumption.

Having a block of rooms set up that way would require some kind of prior reservation, which makes sense for the cruise lines crews.

Hi,

I know it’s a Royal Forum, but …
  Prior to starting his new Contract back in October ‘21,  our son was quarantined for 7 full days on his ship (Carnival employee) . A balcony cabin. Then, he decided that after being on the Fun Squad since January 2017, he opted for now, to say bye to “Ship Life”.  

After he left in December, some of his friends (who tested positive) were quarantined onboard and as a back up at a local hotel.  He was out of Los Angeles. 
I’m guessing that RCCL is pretty similar. Hopefully, employees of all cruise lines are staying healthy.

My personal opinion is that vaccinated guests, wearing masks indoors greatly contribute to the health of the on ship employees.  Our sons Contract was 7 months, no days off, thousands of new guests each week.  

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Thanks 1