What will I notice that’s different & all questions consolidated?

envy4u

Great post....We are boarding our first Princess cruise soon....but twenty something cruises on our cruise log...and I'll be able to answer much better for Princess post-cruise.

When we cruise:

we stay clear of surcharge restaurants (don't like to pay for food and then pay for food) but we are glad other folks enjoy that.  The MDR is for us. 

We stay clear of surcharge coffee, snacks, liquor, sodas, ice cream, room service extras, etc. (We do enjoy wine at dinner so we will be searching for the wine bottle package in the MDR)

We stay clear of buying photos, wine tastings, art (LOL), spa treatments or anything in the shops. 

We stay clear of retreat, cabana, special areas (with the exception of the special area in the spa with the warm loungers and special pool if the cruise has lots of sea days...that is our weakness)

We stay clear of cruise ship tours.....we find independent tours or DIY. 

We don't need internet...Keep trying to figure out why I would need/want internet when I'm cruising?  

We love cruising and we do not think we are missing anything.......From my research (primarily on this great cc site)....I think we will be able to maneuver onboard Princess without being nickled and dimed unless we want to be nickled and dimed.  That's the way we like it...give us choices (freedom)!

(and yes, we leave the full tips on the account and we slip extra $$$ to certain crew)

Smooth sailing to all..............

One year for Valentines Day they had beautifully decorated heart cakes, a ton of pink and red balloons strung up to ceiling. The piece de resistance was that the Captain had everyone interested in renewing their vows, fill out proper paperwork and all standing in plaza area he renewed everyone’s vows and all the balloons came down and there was champagne, I think. It was truly wonderful. 

• Like 1

Currently on the Majestic sailing with the Princess Plus package.  We’ve been asked about doing the wine tasting, taking a picture or dining at a specialty restaurant a few times this week.  Very unobtrusive and polite.  A simple no thanks worked and have not been bothered since.  

Not a single spa solicitation which is very nice!  

We spend what we want when we want.

50 minutes ago, claudia814 said:

One year for Valentines Day they had beautifully decorated heart cakes, a ton of pink and red balloons strung up to ceiling. The piece de resistance was that the Captain had everyone interested in renewing their vows, fill out proper paperwork and all standing in plaza area he renewed everyone’s vows and all the balloons came down and there was champagne, I think. It was truly wonderful. 

The vow renewal was done on the Royal Princess for Valentines Day 2019. It was lovely!

Edited by dchip

If you don't want to be nickeled and dimed, do not go to Effy jewelry ANYTHING (unless you really need the free charm lol) or the spa for any of their "free" this or that.  Also, unless you want to pay for photos, just say no when they offer to take your photo at embarkation, formal night, etc.  I think in scrolling I saw someone say that saunas are free...they are not.  You have to pay for access to the thermal suite or the Enclave and I believe those are weekly and limited to a maximum number per sailing.

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

In that case avoid the spa like the plague. We don't use the spa but have read numerous posts about the staff trying to upsell various products.

100% agree. In fact when we first started cruising I would use the spa for a massage once every cruise but I got so tired of the pitches for products. My last massage, even though I said “I am not buying anything”, the therapist still spend 15 minutes trying to push stuff on me.  Totally ruined the experience for me and I swore that would be the last time I used them.

I heard a tip on cc that it's best to just explain ahead of time to the spa lady that you are not interested in product and no need to discuss....and perhaps add to the tip to give a thanks for not pitching product.

(they must make bank off selling that stuff)

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

I heard a tip on cc that it's best to just explain ahead of time to the spa lady that you are not interested in product and no need to discuss....and perhaps add to the tip to give a thanks for not pitching product.

(they must make bank off selling that stuff)

Are you suggesting that I should add a tip for them NOT doing something.  Sounds like a totally absurd idea to me.

DON

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Are you suggesting that I should add a tip for them NOT doing something.  Sounds like a totally absurd idea to me.

DON

nope. it's just a suggestion.  LOL....

(and was just passing along a suggestion I read on here as a way to stop the sales talk)

Glad to hear that the upselling on Princess has slowed down. The last time we sailed Princess (2015) that was my primary complaint. The photographers, art auction & spa service sellers were so intrusive that I said I would never sail Princess again.

We are giving Princess another chance, sailing Majestic later this month, after hearing glowing stories of Princess now. The ship is certainly beautiful! Hope we’re wowed!

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

DON

I agree on tipping for them NOT doing something, but if they DO something to annoy me and detract from the relaxing massage, I will be less likely to add any extra.

It is Royal Caribbean who charges for movies, at least that was our experience.  Except for Effy, we've never been pressured on Princess.  Our last Royal Caribbean cruise, we were amazed at the upcharges for everything because we are used to Princess more all inclusive cruises.

Effy has been another story and I've been embarrassed for the people badgered by Effy sales people with the complimenting, wooing, pushing to buy pieces of jewelry that are all over the internet.  My personal experience was having an Effy sales lady say "why don't you just go ahead and buy it instead of just coming in to look at it" about a piece I thought was pretty.  I did buy it, from Saks online for 1/3 the price of the identical piece on the ship.

• Host CJSKIDS changed the title to What will I notice that’s different & all questions consolidated?

The thing that annoyed us seems to now be a thing of the past -- all the advertising paperwork for Effy, the "art" auction, etc. That's a "plus" from COVID.

We will never get a massage on the ship. I buy a 6 pack (buy 5 get one free) from my niece. (Of course I then add 20% anyway so...) I book a 60 minute massage every 3-4 weeks depending on the state of my body. She has a really nice office and is in demand. (When she has a cancellation she posts it on FB and it's snapped up within 20 minutes at the longest.)