Drinking straws, are they gone?

sunsetme

"Straws", if you want to call them that, are still available for frozen coffee drinks.  But you would be lucky if these paper straws make it to the bottom of the cup.  They are worthless.  Can't comment about bar drinks.

We purchased “paper”  straws at our local grocery store and they’re almost like cardboard and not really paper.  We used them for an outdoor bbq with tropical drinks and they were still usable the next morning.  Planning on taking some with us on Emerald.  Of course, you can purchase reusable ones, if you prefer.

I take an insulated cup/glass with the hard formed plastic straw in my carry on.  We mostly just get the soda package.  I order my diet Coke and pour it into my own cup!  

I also bring a ziplock bag of normal plastic straws!

The paper straws they give you sort of last, but I don’t like the feel of the paper on my lips.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gardenbunny said:

I also bring a ziplock bag of normal plastic straws!

Not a good idea. I don't think plastic straws are allowed onboard these days. My wife has a couple of reusable metal straws she carries with her but we tend not to get drinks that require a straw. The exception for me is a Bloody Mary. I'm a weirdo and have issues drinking things with ice cubes so I either use one of her straws or just deal with the stupid paper straws.

If you "must" have a straw you can always bring the sturdier kind from the local grocery store as suggested by @Lady Arwen. After all, many of us grew up with paper straws and they were much more sturdy than the junk Princess uses. Plastic straws came along much later.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 5

Not gone, just changed to paper. I've rarely had a problem with them, but on occasion have just asked for another straw. Problem solved.

The alternatives include various types of reusable you could bring with you, such as Lady Arwens,  metal ones, glass ones, and bamboo ones. Leave the plastic at home. 

• Like 3

On Enchanted Princess now, they will offer a paper straw with your drink.  

I will not use paper, I always bring my own plastic straws.

Also, to report that I brought cans of water with me as I read on CC that no plastic was allowed.  Well, guess what-Princess still provides water in plastic bottles!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have several stainless steel straws with silicone tips that I use for the water bottle I'm planning to bring on my next cruise. I like the straw with the bottle because the opening is a little awkward - too big to comfortably drink out of. The steel straws are also good for particularly cold drinks as they can otherwise bother my sensitive teeth. With the tip on them, it's no problem. 

Most drinks I don't bother, but a they're great for a frozen daiquiri, a slushie or use with my water bottle.  

6 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

On Enchanted Princess now, they will offer a paper straw with your drink.  

I will not use paper, I always bring my own plastic straws.

Also, to report that I brought cans of water with me as I read on CC that no plastic was allowed.  Well, guess what-Princess still provides water in plastic bottles!

The reason for not allowing beverages in plastic to be brought onboard is that the original contents could have been replaced with an alcohol beverage. Very hard to do that with a canned product.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, caribill said:

The reason for not allowing beverages in plastic to be brought onboard is that the original contents could have been replaced with an alcohol beverage. Very hard to do that with a canned product.

True.

Maybe carrying your own wine on board will be next.

It very easy to save old wine bottles & replace it with anything else. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Ahhh - of course - that makes complete sense. And here I was thinking it was for environmental reasons 🤦‍♀️

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Some people don’t like to drink from a glass. The cold hurts some people’s teeth. They just want a straw (me too).  

Something about a bloody Mary that it needs a straw too. Maybe it's the thickness of it. I also like to keep stirring it. I can see cold drinks it would be helpful to have a straw also.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MissP22 said:

True.

Maybe carrying your own wine on board will be next.

It very easy to save old wine bottles & replace it with anything else. 

Especially since many wines now come with screw caps.  Do you think that they actually check that the screw cap is really sealed.  Not likely.  You could even replace the cork if necessary and shrink wrap new plastic over the cork.

DON