Is CATS really still on Oasis?!!

On 2/16/2022 at 4:56 PM, poocher said:

I think a common theme for all the shows is a lot of dancing.  I’d love to see Les Miz but the lack of dancing would probably be a no go.  I am pushing for Pippin!!  Who’s with me?

I would book a ship just to see Les Miz. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Has anything 'leaked' at all about Wonders Broadway show yet?  We may have to send John down to the  Pier tonight in scuba gear and a ski mask!!  Jump onboard and sneak into the wardrobe room to scope it out. 

I'll call the Zodiac boat rental company to see if ones available for tonight. Hopefully Laura will be able to drive it. I'll get right back to you. 😉

It looks Ike Wonder may not have a Broadway show but two production shows. 

9 hours ago, philbop said:

We were on Anthem and going back again, thought it top notch especially during Covid times.

We have seen many of the BW shows. HATED "we will rock you" for the reasons folks seem to hate Cats. Music/performance great, but a longgggggggggggg show with much stupidity to get to the songs, WE almost  left it was so long and silly. Having said that, I loved CATS on broadway I am a huge TS Eliot freak, own the book and to each his own. May be the only person in America that hated Grease when it was on Broadway and ABBA? Makes me want to vomit, big Dylan/fan and that kind of music is the polar opposite of good songwriting, in my view. Bottom line is I am defending CATS, and so far for me the best muscial I have seen was Hairspray, which surprised me as I knew nothing about it. Would love to see Chicago some time, but we have a choice of Oasis for a short Canada cruise (to get us to Diamond for a 14 day in the fall) or Adventure which doesn't have the entertainment. So I am leaning towards Oasis and cats, despite everyone seeming to dislike it. 

OMG a kindred spirit!  Grease is a terrible show and ABBA is basically elevator music!  

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Makes sense as it was built more for over seas correct?  Any ideas on what they entail?

Sorry but can’t copy article. Google Wonder of the Seas Entertainment and yu will see several articles released recently. Voices will be one of the Production shows.

image.png.abb0510cb73cbf04e65d4c53f2fb0a18.png

image.png

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 4:19 AM, Kathscof said:

I saw the tour of Starlight Express when I was in elementary school and it became my FAVORITE musical 🙂 the revival 15 or so years ago ruined it.....I know all the words 🙂 (hated Cats in that same time of my life haha) 

You have to see Starlight Express in a dedicated theater with the skate ramps. We thought it was awesome. :classic_biggrin: The touring shows don't have the ramps throughout the theater. :classic_sad:

Cats is okay, but it is not my favorite. Most entertaining IMO, "Book of Mormon" and "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" . But unfortunately, both have adult themes, and would not work on a family cruise line. 

• Like 1

Hahaha I said the same thing when I looked into entertainment for our upcoming Oasis sailing. I love Broadway and CATS is the only show I can’t do. It’s so bizzare and boring. I left at intermission last time and wasn’t going to bother this time which is sad because I typically enjoy the entertainment! It’s got to go.

On 2/16/2022 at 4:56 PM, poocher said:

I am pushing for Pippin!!  Who’s with me?

I'd love to see Pippin. After the last Broadway revival it went on tour and I saw it when it came to town. Really enjoyed it. John Rubinstein who played Pippin in the original Broadway cast was playing Pippin's father Charlemagne. 

The show is so complex to stage - singing, dancing, acting, circus acrobatics, magic. I don't know if they could do it on a ship. But it's a great show. 

My prediction if they ever replace Cats - it will be Dirty Dancing. It will draw big crowds.

Just got off of a B2B on Oasis and saw Cats both weeks! They say you either love it or hate it and I loved it! Didn't really see anyone leaving and they got a lengthy standing ovation for both shows with what appeared to be an almost full audience. I think it is important to know the story line in advance to understand it. I thought the dancing and singing were amazing along with costumes, makeup, and props. Would definitely see it again when sailing on Oasis.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Coralc said:

You have to see Starlight Express in a dedicated theater with the skate ramps. We thought it was awesome. :classic_biggrin: The touring shows don't have the ramps throughout the theater. :classic_sad:

Cats is okay, but it is not my favorite. Most entertaining IMO, "Book of Mormon" and "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" . But unfortunately, both have adult themes, and would not work on a family cruise line. 

I can’t imagine how it would be in a special theatre....BUT.....SOMEHOW, I actually saw it touring.....but they had ramps out into the audience and they made the rounds about halfway back into the theatre.....LOVED IT....but....the revival in the 2000s changed at least a handful of the songs (the BEST ones at that) and kinda changed a bit of the story if I recall.....(and obv didn’t have the cool ramps) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

No Grease was not awful.   It's the word!!!!!!!  I saw it in 2016 and folks were happy and hardly anyone walked out.

It was well received

Well, there is no “grease is the word” in the original.  A mediocre musical was reinvented in an infinitely worse version based on the movie with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.  Their characters were not the leads in the original show but Stockard Channing who played the ACTUAL female lead was deemed not a big enough star.  So they rewrote the show to feature N-J including changing the music to give her more to sing including Hopelessly Devoted 🤢 and You’re the One that I Love.  The show itself is about turning a nice girl into a slut to get a boyfriend and another hoping she isn’t pregnant because she puts out.  Nice family entertainment.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SG65CB said:

I'd love to see Pippin. After the last Broadway revival it went on tour and I saw it when it came to town. Really enjoyed it. John Rubinstein who played Pippin in the original Broadway cast was playing Pippin's father Charlemagne. 

The show is so complex to stage - singing, dancing, acting, circus acrobatics, magic. I don't know if they could do it on a ship. But it's a great show. 

My prediction if they ever replace Cats - it will be Dirty Dancing. It will draw big crowds.

The original is far less complicated.  The revival added the circus theme to the show.  It would be relatively easy to stage it in its original form.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 8:00 AM, poocher said:

Well, there is no “grease is the word” in the original.  A mediocre musical was reinvented in an infinitely worse version based on the movie with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.  Their characters were not the leads in the original show but Stockard Channing who played the ACTUAL female lead was deemed not a big enough star.  So they rewrote the show to feature N-J including changing the music to give her more to sing including Hopelessly Devoted 🤢 and You’re the One that I Love.  The show itself is about turning a nice girl into a slut to get a boyfriend and another hoping she isn’t pregnant because she puts out.  Nice family entertainment.

hmmm well when ya put it that way I understand your POV.  but I liked the production and the cast was muscially great.

personally I think original productions should be created so as to not compare to broadway versions or movie versions.

On 2/22/2022 at 8:00 AM, poocher said:

The show itself is about turning a nice girl into a slut to get a boyfriend and another hoping she isn’t pregnant because she puts out.  Nice family entertainment.

Totally agree.  Also demeaning to women.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2022 at 2:20 PM, yogimax said:

Totally agree.  Also demeaning to women.

I enjoy most musicals, including Grease, but agree it's a very misogynistic "happy ending".  I prefer Royal as a line over NCL but NCL made an excellent choice going with SIX as a show for 2 ships in their fleet. Such an excellent, high energy, short (in terms of broadway musicals) show that is full of bops and promotes girl power. That show is doing for female-identifying audiences what Hamilton did for POC audiences and I'm so grateful for it. 

• Like 1

We enjoy the broadway shows onboard.  Hairspray, Mama Mia, Chicago and Grease were excellent- CATs a stinker- the music nice, but the show was a miss.  Time to retire it.  We will be on the Oasis (again) in August and will not sit again through CATS.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eastender said:

I would book a cruise for CATS. Excellent show. Can't understand all the negativity.

The membership here seems to love bubble gum pop jukebox musicals😼

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

The membership here seems to love bubble gum pop jukebox musicals😼

I like Webber, but Cats is not Phantom...  Would love to see West Side Story, Music Man, Les Mis, Hadestown, etc.

Has RCI ever done Anything Goes?  That is like the most thematically appropriate cruise musical!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baelor said:

I like Webber, but Cats is not Phantom...  Would love to see West Side Story, Music Man, Les Mis, Hadestown, etc.

Has RCI ever done Anything Goes?  That is like the most thematically appropriate cruise musical!

Ahhh, some great musicals.  Played pit orchestra for Music Man, Pick a Little, Talk a Little is like an earworm. :classic_laugh:

But, I also like Cats