Princess mask update 2/18/22. Effective 3/1/22

Ombud

Princess site Update Feb 22:

Testing

• Guests on sailings from the United States must provide proof at terminal check-in of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within two days of their embarkation. 

So looks like no change in 2-Day requirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, smbt1 said:

I can speak from actually filing an FOI and getting the response that the CDC does respond.  I asked for and received the cases identified on each cruise ship in US waters for the date range requested.  It took 6 weeks for the complete response.

Just my opinion - who cares. Too much time on your hands.

42 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Testing

• Guests on sailings from the United States must provide proof at terminal check-in of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within two days of their embarkation. 

I cannot determine any changes made to these requirements. I do not have a copy of the information before the change but it seems it is the same as before. Can someone tell me if they recognize the change? Perhaps it was put out to say the current requirements are still in place. 

58 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Testing

I wish PCL would follow this CDC guidance for passengers “up to date” on vaccines (boosted) which by returning to the original 3 day test requirement will reduce the stress of preparing for a cruise.

• If you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, you must get tested with a viral test no more than 3 days before boarding a cruise ship.
  • If you are fully vaccinated [4] for COVID-19, you must get tested with a viral test no more than 2 days before boarding a cruise ship.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-travel-during-covid19.html

1 hour ago, cruzluvr2 said:

I cannot determine any changes made to these requirements. I do not have a copy of the information before the change but it seems it is the same as before. Can someone tell me if they recognize the change? Perhaps it was put out to say the current requirements are still in place. 

I saw a red 'update' on their site, dated Feb 22. That is what I copied and posted.

10 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I wish PCL would follow this CDC guidance for passengers “up to date” on vaccines (boosted) which by returning to the original 3 day test requirement will reduce the stress of preparing for a cruise.

• If you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, you must get tested with a viral test no more than 3 days before boarding a cruise ship.
  • If you are fully vaccinated [4] for COVID-19, you must get tested with a viral test no more than 2 days before boarding a cruise ship.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-travel-during-covid19.html

Even extending testing to 3 days would be a huge help.  Reducing it to 2 days made traveling considerably more difficult.  Perhaps the March 1 date will trigger a change.

Edited by cltnccruisers
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Testing

Hoping the March 1 date may trigger a change at least to 3 days.  Even that would be a big help travel-wise.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I am checking daily for a date change on the testing as it is coming time to schedule testing for my early March cruise. With travel, the 3 day window will help. Seems logical to make any testing change also effective for 3/1 sailings. 

• Like 1

Changing the testing from 2 to 3 days would cause a lot of confusion as someone pointed out in another thread.

Although I would like to see the change myself, there are many people who could possible think they fall into the 3 day window & would be denied boarding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I am checking daily for a date change on the testing as it is coming time to schedule testing for my early March cruise. With travel, the 3 day window will help. Seems logical to make any testing change also effective for 3/1 sailings. 

We have a family cruise March 6.  We'll start traveling to Fla on March 4.  I have home tests for the 7 of us.  As things stand now we'll test in the wee hours of March 4 so we have the results before we hit the road.  Expanding to 3 days would be fantastic.  I'm hoping the March 1 date will trigger the change.  Announcing it before then would only cause confusion.

1 minute ago, cltnccruisers said:

We have a family cruise March 6.  We'll start traveling to Fla on March 4.  I have home tests for the 7 of us.  As things stand now we'll test in the wee hours of March 4 so we have the results before we hit the road.  Expanding to 3 days would be fantastic.  I'm hoping the March 1 date will trigger the change.  Announcing it before then would only cause confusion.

Announcing it even on March 1 will cause confusion.

Either make it 3 days for everyone or leave it at 2 days so no one would get confused as to which category they fall into.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Changing the testing from 2 to 3 days would cause a lot of confusion as someone pointed out in another thread.

Although I would like to see the change myself, there are many people who could possible think they fall into the 3 day window & would be denied boarding.

57 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

At some point that 8 inches of gray matter between the ears has to be used.  😀

I am the person who pointed out the confusion that would be caused if some people (boosted) fell into the three day testing and others (vaccinated with first two shots only ) fell into two days.

It's not OUR gray matter - the problem is with the check in people at the port.

I related that the (very nice and sweet) woman who checked us in this last January couldn't understand why she couldn't find our medallions in her box (even though we showed her that we had them already and were standing there with them in our hands) . Then many other people related similar stories.

Can you imagine those same check in people trying to figure out whether or not you had a booster and then tying that in to the date of your negative test?

The only way to avoid the confusion is to make one rule for everyone. Either we'll all need booster shots (and Princess will have to change it's definition of "fully vaccinated") and have 3 days to test OR 2 shots will count as vaccinated and stick to the 2 day testing.

From the update above it looks like Princess has decided to go with the latter.

BTW - These are the CDC guidelines: (up to date means with the booster, fully vaccinated means the first two shots)

• If you are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, you must get tested with a viral test no more than 3 days before boarding a cruise ship [3].
  • If you are fully vaccinated [4]for COVID-19, you must get tested with a viral test no more than 2 days before boarding a cruise ship.
  •  
Edited by chamima
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

If someone wants to start another thread about the potential new test policy since this one is about the mask policies on Princess it would be great. 

It could be called "Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises"

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, billco said:

It could be called "Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises"

Okay, you got me!  LOL

How about changes to Princess Policy on covid testing days!  

This particular thread has just veered off course and topic as it’s supposed to be about the new mask protocol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/22/2022 at 12:53 AM, caribill said:

To me there is a difference between being needed and being required.

Princess may or may not change the required wearing of masks, but in reality the need for them continues.

The virus has not gone away and probably will be with us more than we want until around 90% of the population gets fully vaccinated with the result being herd immunity.

Wearing a mask has been one of the three most effective methods of slowing down the spread of the virus. We will continue to wear masks when appropriate whether or not a cruise line requires them.

By wearing a mask when appropriate, we are also saying that if we unknowingly acquired the virus, we will be less likely to spread a deadly pathogen to others, be they masked or unmasked.

x 1000. 

• Like 6

On 2/22/2022 at 2:53 AM, caribill said:

To me there is a difference between being needed and being required.

Princess may or may not change the required wearing of masks, but in reality the need for them continues.

The virus has not gone away and probably will be with us more than we want until around 90% of the population gets fully vaccinated with the result being herd immunity.

Wearing a mask has been one of the three most effective methods of slowing down the spread of the virus. We will continue to wear masks when appropriate whether or not a cruise line requires them.

By wearing a mask when appropriate, we are also saying that if we unknowingly acquired the virus, we will be less likely to spread a deadly pathogen to others, be they masked or unmasked.

46 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

x 1000. 

Especially that last paragraph.

When  did we lose caring for others? 😥

Edited by chamima
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Isn't sipping & covering gone as of Mar 1st??

Yeah it is...thank goodness.  Just using it as an example of the reasons using N-95 masks would be useless...or at a minimum, extremely costly if used correctly.  Even in the medical plaza my wife manages, they don't wear them...too costly for the minimal potential advantage.

29 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

The most important point is that the N-95 has to be fitted to work that well...and every time you break the seal you need a new one.  For me to do sip and cover (like some people pushed for) I'd need a couple dozen fitted N95 masks.  Even my wife, a nurse, can't stand to wear a N-95 because they are quite uncomfortable after a time...they suck to your face.

Interesting. I find that I can wear them for hours, and tolerate them much better than blue surgical masks or cloth masks since they don’t actually touch my mouth. But for sip and cover situations, I don’t think anyone would say that N95s are the optimal choice.  I find KN95s preferable because they’re so much easier to release and replace without touching the mask itself. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Yeah it is...thank goodness.  Just using it as an example of the reasons using N-95 masks would be useless...or at a minimum, extremely costly if used correctly.  Even in the medical plaza my wife manages, they don't wear them...too costly for the minimal potential advantage.

Our local CVS is giving N95s away to regular customers.  We've got a few plus a couple dozen surgicals.  Be prepared.