Dinner in Costal Kitchen

Good Morning to the most knowledgeable cruising public,

We will be sailing the December 26th cruise (New Years Eve) and we have returned to our favorite cabin designation J4 Junior Suite. I know that we can have dinner in Costal Kitchen (if space available), but my question is, can we have my son and daughter in law join us for a meal?  They are in a balcony cabin and that doesn’t qualify as is. Has anyone encountered this?  Thanks for your help. It is, by no means, a deal breaker. We can’t wait to get back on board. Happy Sailing!

1 minute ago, earltonharley said:

We will be sailing the December 26th cruise (New Years Eve) and we have returned to our favorite cabin designation J4 Junior Suite. I know that we can have dinner in Costal Kitchen (if space available), but my question is, can we have my son and daughter in law join us for a meal?  They are in a balcony cabin and that doesn’t qualify as is. Has anyone encountered this?  Thanks for your help. It is, by no means, a deal breaker. We can’t wait to get back on board. Happy Sailing!

Generally speaking - it isn't allowed. However, you may be able to have them join you for dinner one night depending on how full the CK is and how the Maitre' D is feeling when you make your reservations.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, earltonharley said:

Typically, they do not allow you to bring guests to Coastal Kitchen and I would not expect it to be allowed on a holiday sailing.  However, seeing that you are sailing on Anthem, you have a much better chance of actually getting a Coastal Kitchen reservation as someone in a JS and that is a ship that has been much more flexible in the past.  I would go make reservations when you board and see what they say.  

We were on Symphony two weeks ago in a Sky Class Suite. We asked to have friends in a balcony join us for 1 night at a table for 4. We were denied. The maitre'd advised that they must be in a JS or higher to dine in CK even as a guest. You may have a different outcome so it doesn't hurt to ask.

• Like 2

On the last few sailings we’ve been on since the restart, in GS and CLS, Coastal Kitchen has been very crowded for dinner. I’m not sure if it is due to the RoyalUp, but all of the higher end suites were full even though the ship was not at full capacity. Maybe that is the reason they are being strict about the policy of not allowing guests. The high end suites are paying serious money for access to Coastal. It wouldn’t be fair to them to allow everyone to eat there. Just my opinion. 

Edited by RosieRoo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

And along with the suites being pretty much fully booked, it seems there are a lot of pinnacles cruising currently as well which adds to the number of diners in CK. This leaves little room for JSes to get reservations.  

Since restart and social distancing...Pinnacles are at the level of a newbie in a JS. 

Same thing, no guaranteed access and have to make reservations daily for dinner.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, earltonharley said:

Try $aying a very nice hello to the maitre'd 

• Haha 2

We’ve had guests join us for one dinner on a week long cruise.  Of course you make the request and hope they have availability.   I don’t know if being in a JS vs a GS or higher will make an impact, but it could because that JS perk is based on availability and not a guarantee for JS guests let alone someone not even eligible.  

My guess is that if the ship is very busy you likely won’t be accommodated.   If there is low demand you stand a chance.  If you were in a GS or higher, and there was low demand, I would say it is likely you could bring g a guest one night of the trip.  Good Luck.  

5 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Typically, they do not allow you to bring guests to Coastal Kitchen and I would not expect it to be allowed on a holiday sailing.  However, seeing that you are sailing on Anthem, you have a much better chance of actually getting a Coastal Kitchen reservation as someone in a JS and that is a ship that has been much more flexible in the past.  I would go make reservations when you board and see what they say.  

We usually sail in JS’s and were in one on Anthem last October. We had no problem making dinner reservations in CK, however, we did notice that it was a lot busier than we have experienced in the past. We prefer to dine about 9pm and usually find CK is fairly quiet by that time but it was almost full on the nights we ate in there. If it remains the same given the ship is now sailing at a higher capacity, I think it unlikely the OP would be allowed to bring guests.

56 minutes ago, earltonharley said:

Thank you all for the timely responses!  You folks are great!  As for the gentleman that is “happy” they say no, this was a general question. I wasn’t asking for a kidney. Happy Sailing!

One Suggestion. Don’t ask your first night.  Maybe get to know the restaurant manager once before you ask for a special favor.  If you get a friendly attitude/dialogue I’m sure that will help and you can perhaps ask the next time.  I think they have discretion and some might allow it, while others simply won’t at all.  

If the person doesn’t give you the time of day when you try to make your own reservations, you’ll probably already know the answer.   I find a sincere smile and friendly attitude goes a long way independent of a tip.  Again, good

luck.  

• Like 3

My actual experience two weeks ago on Oasis:

Travelling in a Grand Suite 2 Bedroom. Six people. Tried to reserve a table for 6 in Coastal Kitchen for the week, 5:30 dinner. The Coastal Kitchen Manager wanted to know the names of all six people, and made sure they were all in a suite. RC cabin booking system is odd in that they can only put four people on a booking. If you have six people in your cabin the last two go on a separate reservation number. The manager insisted these two people weren't in a suite and could not dine with us. Eventually the concierge straightened it out, but this manager I'm sure would not let you bring a non-suite guest.

Since Coastal Kitchen reservations for JS are on a "space-available" basis, I'll share that the 5:30 crowd was pretty sparse, less than half the tables occupied, but the later seating each night was pretty full. 

So why  should someone get to eat in CK if they are not in a suite.  Maybe the person in the suite should join their friends in the Windjammer.  I pay good money for the ability to eat in the CK.  My dad always said "you get what you pay for".  Pay for a suite, get dinner in the Coastal Kitchen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lovescats5,

If you go back and read my original post, I was asking if anyone has done this. No more, no less. It’s not about money, it’s not about supremacy, and it definitely isn’t about getting over on anyone or anything. I’m glad your father shared such insight with you. I’m sorry I asked a question on this thread. Your attitude stinks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, earltonharley said:

Lovescats5,

If you go back and read my original post, I was asking if anyone has done this. No more, no less. It’s not about money, it’s not about supremacy, and it definitely isn’t about getting over on anyone or anything. I’m glad your father shared such insight with you. I’m sorry I asked a question on this thread. Your attitude stinks. 

You asked a very legit question, people on Celebrity ask it all the time re the Luminae, restaurant for suite guests