Shorts in MDR

hoss23

We stopped taking our formal wear 3 cruises ago and find it much more relaxing.  That being said, out of respect to our fellow cruisers, we find alternate dining opportunities that are casual and don’t visit any public venues on formal nights.  People know well in advance what the rules are so, if you don’t like the rules, or think they don’t apply to you……..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Senga said:

We stopped taking our formal wear 3 cruises ago and find it much more relaxing.  That being said, out of respect to our fellow cruisers, we find alternate dining opportunities that are casual and don’t visit any public venues on formal nights.  People know well in advance what the rules are so, if you don’t like the rules, or think they don’t apply to you……..

I think you have hit the real issue here--RESPECT. Most cruisers who choose Princess do so because they enjoy the standards of this cruise line and wish for them to be upheld. They make a choice to cruise on Princess knowing full well what is expected when they book here. If they don't wish to follow the dress code that Princess has published for the MDR there are other options available. Also, there are a number of cruise lines--you can guess who--that really don't care how their passengers dress or act onboard and cruisers who don't respect the standards that Princess has issued should look elsewhere. IMHO

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, 40yearcruiser said:

I think you have hit the real issue here--RESPECT. Most cruisers who choose Princess do so because they enjoy the standards of this cruise line and wish for them to be upheld. They make a choice to cruise on Princess knowing full well what is expected when they book here. If they don't wish to follow the dress code that Princess has published for the MDR there are other options available. Also, there are a number of cruise lines--you can guess who--that really don't care how their passengers dress or act onboard and cruisers who don't respect the standards that Princess has issued should look elsewhere. IMHO

Please......Princess is the Target of cruising.....it is not that high end....and does not enforce these supposedly "high standards" you talk of....maybe if people do not like what is happening they should go cruise Regent, Oceania, Viking, Seabourn to name a few.....some people take themselves way to seriously....

• Like 4

On 3/1/2022 at 6:58 AM, hoss23 said:

Hi:  It’s been over 10 years since our last Princess cruise and I have a question. Are shorts for men an accepted attire in the MDR on casual nights? If they are do many men wear them, or are shorts few and far between. Recently we have cruised on Carnival and it seems close to 50% wear shorts on casual nights. Thanks for you input.

How about some common sense here?  Stick with Carnival if short are your cup of tea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last Sunday we returned from a Emerald Princess Cruise.  Yes I saw some men wearing shorts in MDR for diner.  Once seen my brother in law did also.  So with this happening by next cruise to Alaska in June it will have become more acceptable and I will see more men doing so. Formal nights are also far less formal then years gone by.  Many men wearing dress shirts, ties and sweater.

• Like 1

" Please......Princess is the Target of cruising.....it is not that high end....and does not enforce these supposedly "high standards" you talk of....maybe if people do not like what is happening they should go cruise Regent, Oceania, Viking, Seabourn to name a few.....some people take themselves way to seriously..."   

The  effects of  Carnivalization of the Princess brand 

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, c-boy said:

" Please......Princess is the Target of cruising.....it is not that high end....and does not enforce these supposedly "high standards" you talk of....maybe if people do not like what is happening they should go cruise Regent, Oceania, Viking, Seabourn to name a few.....some people take themselves way to seriously..."   

The  effects of  Carnivalization of the Princess brand 

Having been on numerous Carnival cruises and currently on my first Princess cruise, you're dead wrong.  Carnival was never this good in terms of food, service, and product. Period.

And, yes, Princess is allowing shorts in MDR.  So what? Doesn't bother me in the least.

Edited by K.T.B.
  • Like 5

I chose Princess for my next cruise because they sail out of San Francisco during my spring break. If I wanted high end I’d be choosing a more expensive line with more realistic dress standards. The snobbishness on this thread is amazing. I’ve cruised with a lot of different lines, most with DCL which is much more expensive and I can say that people wear clothes on DCL that I wouldn’t leave my bedroom in. But…I don’t know these people and don’t care. I do me, they do their thing and all good. 

• Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 4:20 PM, VAWCB said:

As I was leaving I asked the head waiter (Giovanni) why the dress code wasn’t being enforced.  He said that after Covid Princess is just glad to have passengers back and weren’t going to do anything to annoy them.  I thought that was a lousy answer.

I agree.

• Like 3

Well I have found this whole thread amusing. “Pants” mean something completely different in the U.K. so all this talk of wearing them in the main dining room has created a mental image that I really don’t need in my head.

I pack dressy clothes for the dining room and still take full formal wear for those evenings because my husband and I enjoy the chance to wear it. I think Europeans still tend to dress for dinner to a greater extent, at least most of the older ones do. Even my nephew takes his kilt for a formal night. Where my husband would wear an Argyle jacket, shirt and cravat with his kilt, younger folks go for a gillie shirt which is still very smart.

It is a shame if cruising becomes too casual, it was always nice to see people dressed for formal nights. That said other people wearing shorts won’t stop me wearing what I want to or spoil my evening in any way.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

One of those being Princess as they barely if ever enforce their own posted requirements on many things. So what is there to earn respect over.

5 hours ago, Senga said:

You are reading more into this than necessary.  Princess does not ask for any formal type of dress outside of the MDR's.  IOW, unlike some lines in the past (or likely Cunard today), you are not expected/required to be wearing dressy clothes all over the ship.  Lots of folks change clothing after dinner and lots don't.  You are welcome in theater shows, Explorers/Live shows, Piazza, etc, in whatever clothes.

• Like 3

I am positive there are many here who think I am an uptight old butt head. That's okay with me. Even though it is totally acceptable where I live and where many other people live to wear shorts in a fine dining establishment that is usually the case because it gets really hot where I (we) live. When it's 110° and up it's crazy to expect people to dress in long pants, etc. However, it is never hot like that on a cruise ship.

I have seen people turned away from MDR for wearing shorts and I thanked the maître d' for doing so. (Go ahead, yell at me. I don't mind...) I can honestly say I have never seen anybody wearing shorts in MDR at dinner time. At lunch or breakfast... I have seen shorts many times and have worn shorts myself. I once desperately needed to escape the movie on MUTS and get a drink (It was The Sound Of Music) and I headed downstairs. (I actually had more than one reason to head downstairs.) When I headed back up to Lido deck I ended up taking the forward elevators. There was a woman waiting to go into MDR and she (very nastily) turned to her husband and said (loudly), "I didn't think they allowed shorts in the dining room". I decided not to take offense and simply told her I was headed up to Lido Deck for the movie. The point here is that others like to follow the "rules" or the "guidelines" or whatever you may want to call them.

I like following the rules. When I go into a business that asks everybody to wear a mask (even though it is no longer a "requirement" in California and I freaking hate masking) I wear the mask. It just seems polite to do as I am asked. I have a hard time understanding why other people adopt the "screw you this is what I want" attitude. Seriously, how hard is it to just be nice?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

On 3/1/2022 at 2:09 PM, BabySarge said:

Just finished 30 amazing days on the Emerald Princess where shorts, and not necessarily those that would fall into the category of nice ones, were frequently worn by both male and female passengers of all ages in the main dining rooms for dinner.  

Princess has a dress code that they publish for the dining rooms for the evening/dinner hours and plainly stated it needs to be enforced.  

Did you give appropriate feedback on the post-cruise survey?

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 2:09 PM, BabySarge said:

I did not feel that hats worn at the table were appropriate either.

I was on one cruise when on a formal evening a man came to the dining room wearing a cowboy hat.

When questioned, he told the staff "In Texas, this is formal"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It's not a matter of space at all. 

My husband says it's simply having something around your neck choking you and he wore one for years while working & nothing will make him wear another one.'

Where I worked, if anyone came in wearing a suit and tie, everyone knew he was interviewing for a job elsewhere that day.

17 hours ago, MissP22 said:

This thread isn't about Noro.

Didn't you notice that?

That was a humorous remark indicating this was another dress code thread out of many.

In the 1990s, Princess that three types of dress for dinner.

Five evenings on a 7-day cruise were smart casual.

One evening was semi-formal which meant suits or sport coats (and tie) for men.

And one evening was formal which meant formal wear was expected, but dark colored suits for men was acceptable.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

In the 1990s, Princess that three types of dress for dinner.

Five evenings on a 7-day cruise were smart casual.

One evening was semi-formal which meant suits or sport coats (and tie) for men.

And one evening was formal which meant formal wear was expected, but dark colored suits for men was acceptable.

You've got to admit, that was a long time ago.

Things have definitely changed today.... for the better in lots of ways for some of us. 😉 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, azgrandmax3 said:

Last Sunday we returned from a Emerald Princess Cruise.  Yes I saw some men wearing shorts in MDR for diner.  Once seen my brother in law did also.  So with this happening by next cruise to Alaska in June it will have become more acceptable and I will see more men doing so. Formal nights are also far less formal then years gone by.  Many men wearing dress shirts, ties and sweater.

It’s interesting how unpredictable it can be. We were on the Emerald for a 10 day Panama Canal cruise in January and I saw a number of men wear shorts into the MDR and very few tuxedos on formal nights. This 14 day Caribbean is the opposite. I haven’t seen shorts in the dining room but there were quite a few tuxedos and long dresses on formal night.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

I have no issue with Princess or any other cruiseline having a dress code, as long as they enforce it !!!

Princess allows shorts in MDR on some ships, in some locations but not on other ships, in the same location.

I agree with your perception of the problem.  The problem is too that the word "formal" means many different things in different parts of the world and to different generations also.  

Then there is the difference in what women are allowed to wear.  If women can get in with pants and a "sparkly" top then men should be allowed to go in wearing slacks and polo on the same formal nights.

All these legal types on Princess CC are the same ones you see bending rules in other areas when it suits them.  People say you sign a legal binding contract with Princess yet those same people will tell others to ignore the boarding times that Princess has set for them at the beginning of the cruise to make boarding more manageable.

It is the classic "methinks thou dost protest too much!"