Celebrity cruise items off your packing list

mfs2k

I used to pack lots of books and a portable DVD player. Now I pack an iPad with books and movies already downloaded,  ready to read and play. 
What are some things you used to pack for your celebrity cruises?

• Like 1

Books, for certain. I'd always take a stack of books along to any vacation.  I have great memories of being at the beach as a teenager and going to the bookstores for even more books.  From the time I started carrying a purse, I always had a paperback in it.  The Kindle replaced that.  Now I keep that in my much smaller handbag. 

Tons of film.  That was something else I always stocked up on before vacation.  Now we have digital cameras. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mangrove Snapper said:

Tons of film.  That was something else I always stocked up on before vacation.  Now we have digital cameras. 

I forgot about the camera bag!  Camera, Camera Bag, zoom lens, film, film film (in a ziplock so it could bypass security xrays)  I also carried a big video camera for a few cruises.  That had it's own bag!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mangrove Snapper said:

Books, for certain. I'd always take a stack of books along to any vacation.  I have great memories of being at the beach as a teenager and going to the bookstores for even more books.  From the time I started carrying a purse, I always had a paperback in it.  The Kindle replaced that.  Now I keep that in my much smaller handbag. 

I just can't break myself of the habit of bringing "real" books. I know it makes little sense to lug four or five books with me but I just like the feel of them. When we finally retire and move from New York to Florida I have no idea what I'm going to do with all my books (not to mention my albums and CDs but that's another thread).

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Andrewgary said:

I just can't break myself of the habit of bringing "real" books. I know it makes little sense to lug four or five books with me but I just like the feel of them. When we finally retire and move from New York to Florida I have no idea what I'm going to do with all my books (not to mention my albums and CDs but that's another thread).

You are not alone! I much prefer having an actual book in hand. So disappointed Celebrity is doing away with their libraries. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mangrove Snapper said:

I'm with you as I can never decide which books I'll feel like reading so I have my iPad with hundreds of books available.  Love that it's so easy to bring a whole library with me.

• Like 2

No tuxedo, ties, or sport coats.  No men's dress shoes.  Just smart casual.

No full lap top- but I do bring a tablet/iPad.

I do bring books - I do not like e-books.  But DW only reads e-books.

No walkie-talkies.

No Walkman or portable music players (cassettes, CD players), other than my smart phone.

No traveler's checks (remember American Express?).  No large wads of cash but instead some smaller amounts if needed.  I just rely on ATM's and pre-paid debit/visa cards.  Even in foreign ports so no foreign currency in advance - with some exceptions depending on the travel situations.

No paperback dictionaries for language translations.  Again just the smart phone and aps.

Likewise no paper maps.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

No Walkman or portable music players (cassettes, CD players), other than my smart phone.

I forgot about the this!  I always brought my Walkman and cassettes and then later portable CD player/CD's along on vacations.  Now that's all on my phone. 

Another great vacation memory!  Going to record stores in different cities...

The tux stays home now, along with the attire for "white night" that they ran for a few years.  Got tired of arguing over vanilla non-surge-protected power strip, so now request in advance from shoreside concierge.  Kindle instead of books.

36 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Is that one word or two....

(For those of you who are confused by this post, I am alluding to another thread on this forum.)

Wondered if anyone (other than mfs2k) would pick up on that....

And the answer remains maybe - or is it may be?

We need to stop this!

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Haha 1

items just replaced by my iPhone: white noise machine, alarm clock, flashlight, maps, notepad, airline tickets/boarding passes, camera (depending on trip)

I'm sure the phone replaces even more...  probably saves at least a few pounds & a bag from the olden days 🙂

• Like 3

Dress pants

Jeans

Dress shirts

Polo shirts

Sports coat

Underwear (boxers and t-shirts)

Dress shoes

Tennis shoes

Boat shoes

Socks

MacBook Pro

iPad

iPhone

Flashlight

Spare pair of glasses

Collapsable unbrella

USB thumb drive (move photo’s from iPhone/iPad to MacBook)

Cables and multiple output power adapter

Portable charger

I am sure I am missing something but that’s most of it. 

48 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Dress pants

Jeans

Dress shirts

Polo shirts

Sports coat

Underwear (boxers and t-shirts)

Dress shoes

Tennis shoes

Boat shoes

Socks

MacBook Pro

iPad

iPhone

Flashlight

Spare pair of glasses

Collapsable unbrella

USB thumb drive (move photo’s from iPhone/iPad to MacBook)

Cables and multiple output power adapter

Portable charger

I am sure I am missing something but that’s most of it. 

Just curious - are these items you are suggesting to include, or remove, from your packing list? The OP suggested items that they used to pack, but apparently no longer do - as would also be suggested by their thread title.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Definitely the leisure items that have shrunk/ been replaced by phone and iPad. Puzzle/crossword books as well as reading books is one thing that springs to mind that has not already been mentioned. I also remember travelling with batteries of all shapes and sizes for Walkman, camera, hand held electronic games etc.

So why is it if we have all cut back so much we still seem to have the same number of suitcases and an extra hand luggage?

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

17 hours ago, TeeRick said:

No traveler's checks (remember American Express?).  No large wads of cash but instead some smaller amounts if needed.  I just rely on ATM's and pre-paid debit/visa cards. 

I had completely forgotten about travellers cheques and different currencies for each country. 

19 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

I had completely forgotten about travellers cheques and different currencies for each country. 

If you come from the UK you still end up with different currencies although we try to use the credit card as much as possible an simply get the minimum cash for each country visited…

It seems to me that closets have gotten smaller (and harder to get into) as ships have gotten bigger.  I wonder if anyone is still bringing the over the door shoe bag things with lots of pockets.  I never went that route because I could never see the need. I have watched videos of cabin hacks that would require an entire extra suitcase.

All I bring now is a few strong magnetic hooks.  They take up no space in the suitcase and are super handy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Odd things that I bring but probably don't need to.... hard copy of the items I have digitally... eg.. copy of passport, travel insurance info and other travel stuff.. in case something happens to my iphone. I am a belt and suspenders type.

But like others... leave behind long dress (and lately cocktail dress as well..replaced by capri pants and nice tops), my husband's suit replaced by sport coat.... cut out shoes ...keep one pair low healed dress shoes or nice flats,...vs multiple options... no evening bag.. (I just give my seapass to DH to hold onto), no camera, carry one paperback but download others (I prefer real books), travelers checks.. as noted by others.  This is a bit embarrassing to admit.. I leave behind perfume... and just try on a different scent a the perfume shop... often picking up a new fragrance before end of cruise. Also bottle of wine... we used to bring one along... now with AI not really necessary...

• Like 2