Tipping for Ship Excursions on European Cruise

kmezz

If you are taking ship excursions do you have to tip in the currency of the country you are visiting or are US dollars ok?  We are visiting some countries that the Euro is not the currency so it would be a few different currencies. Thanks! 

55 minutes ago, kmezz said:

If you are taking ship excursions do you have to tip in the currency of the country you are visiting or are US dollars ok?  We are visiting some countries that the Euro is not the currency so it would be a few different currencies. Thanks! 

I would tip in the local currency to the extent possible.

From what I have read using Eoros in any NON EU country is fine as it can be easily exchanged and is some cases much more stable than the local currency. We plan to take Euros for use locally on our 33 day trip to Italy, Croatia and Greece this summer.

I agree that it's pretty much fine to tip with Euros in non-Euro European cuontries.  Don't just go with USD, though, as you're putting something of a hardship on the person to who you are trying to show appreciation.

That said, I would try to get some local currency if I had more than one stop in a country and it's relatively easy to get some local currency.  You also can check about how readily accepted Euros (or dollars, for that matter) are accepted in the particular area where you will visit.

21 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I agree that it's pretty much fine to tip with Euros in non-Euro European cuontries.  Don't just go with USD, though, as you're putting something of a hardship on the person to who you are trying to show appreciation.

That said, I would try to get some local currency if I had more than one stop in a country and it's relatively easy to get some local currency.  You also can check about how readily accepted Euros (or dollars, for that matter) are accepted in the particular area where you will visit.

Going to Norway.  Would Euro's be accepted there for tips and small purchases?  Bergen and Stavenger would be the cities I would most likely make purchases.

1 minute ago, whoshwhosh said:

Going to Norway.  Would Euro's be accepted there for tips and small purchases?  Bergen and Stavenger would be the cities I would most likely make purchases.

You'll have to ask someone else, perhaps on the "ports of call" board (although the above poster from Sweden may have some insight).

Our cruise is to Scandinavia.  Most of the places say Euro.  Sweden and Denmark are the only places that don't list Euro.  We will most likely charge anything we buy but wondered about tipping.

For shore excursions, a few websites recommend tipping and at about a $5US equivalent/person and in local cash. But since the guides work with international customers, using US or Euro wouldn’t be that much of an issue. So tipping is nice to do, and not worry to about what is used. Their banks will accept it, maybe at a charge, but not a big deal. 

Yes, tipping differs a good deal in Europe and N Europe, but many round up to the next whole amount as a tip, including ‘locals’, from my more limited experience. 

den

56 minutes ago, kmezz said:

Our cruise is to Scandinavia.  Most of the places say Euro.  Sweden and Denmark are the only places that don't list Euro.  We will most likely charge anything we buy but wondered about tipping.

You don‘t really tip in Scandinacvia. In restaurants or hotels maybe sometimes but not local shore excursion staff.

Edited by Saab4444
  • Like 1

European excursions seldom get tips.  If you feel that you want to tip, a few euros is enough.  Usually guides don’t even stick around to get tips. You may notice that excursions in Europe are more expensive than other places. On Viking, there is a tip guideline that tells you what to tip. It wasn’t much. 

There is no requirement or expectation of tips in Europe.

Most transactions are now electronic (tap of card) and very little cash is handled.

Although you are trying to show appreciation for the service you received, it is not a local custom.

It is not like you add the tip to the bill nor leave it under a plate.  It is passed from one sweaty hand to another.  Does the tour guide really want physical contact with so many strangers in a short time?

If there is a basket in front of the bus, then perhaps 5 euro if the tour really exceeds your expectations, otherwise I suggest nada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are taking a Baltic cruise in May. We booked multiple tours with Alla Tours. On their web site and on our receipt it gives guidance to tipping for their tours and says 10% for guide and 5% for drivers. So, after reading everyone's post above, I am really confused about tipping. Our ports are in Denmark, Sweden, Berlin, Poland, and Estonia. 

On 3/21/2022 at 10:08 AM, kmezz said:

We booked through Alla Tours for our Baltic Cruise. This is what is on their web site...

Tips: Kindly note that tips are not included in the tour price and cannot be added to your credit card charge. They can be provided in cash (any currency convenient to you) directly to your guide (10%) and driver (5%) at the end of the tour. Tips are strictly optional, although greatly appreciated by those hosting you through your tour.

10 hours ago, Pace67 said:

We booked through Alla Tours for our Baltic Cruise. This is what is on their web site...

Tips: Kindly note that tips are not included in the tour price and cannot be added to your credit card charge. They can be provided in cash (any currency convenient to you) directly to your guide (10%) and driver (5%) at the end of the tour. Tips are strictly optional, although greatly appreciated by those hosting you through your tour.

It was a long time ago (2007 when Alla only had tours in St. Petersburg), but that is really a change. I remember asking her about tips. She gave a suggested amount, but added tips were really a personal choice.

12 hours ago, Pace67 said:

I am really confused about tipping

No need to be confused. Asking for an extra 10% for gratuity is a circumvention of taxation and VAT.  In Denmark, it is stipulated by law that the price stated to the consumer must include service and that the employer must pay the employees a fixed salary.
Therefore, it is not necessary to give extra gratuity in Denmark.
That tour operators include gratuity as part of payment is not legal.  I do not know legislation for the other countries but there is some uniform regulation within the EU.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Tips are strictly optional,

As it states strictly optional!  and the 10% and 5% rates are advised specifically for those who would consider 15% or 20% the minimum that they tip. 

Please keep American customs in America and when in Europe help maintain European customs. 

Thank you. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

As it states strictly optional!  and the 10% and 5% rates are advised specifically for those who would consider 15% or 20% the minimum that they tip. 

Please keep American customs in America and when in Europe help maintain European customs. 

Thank you. 

It is still different than when there was no mention of tips.

31 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It is still different than when there was no mention of tips.

No,. Tour operators in Europe should follow the law and pay a fair fixed salary to their guides - some companies should not ask for additional tips in order to compensate for a possible lower salary.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

No,. Tour operators in Europe should follow the law and pay a fair fixed salary to their guides - some companies should not ask for additional tips in order to compensate for a possible lower salary.

As I previously wrote, I was the one who asked Alla about tips. She gave me a suggested amount (which I shared with the other group members), but also said tips were a personal choice.

I was replying to a poster who said she now gave percentages as suggested tips. I wonder if this started when she expanded from just St. Petersburg tours to also doing tours in Baltic countries.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 1:13 AM, kmezz said:

There is no need to tip in Scandinavia 

On 3/22/2022 at 3:00 AM, whoshwhosh said:

No tipping - use a card for small purchases - many countries are pretty much non-cash now 

• Like 1

I've seen locals post on other boards who were somewhat offended that Americans wanted to tip, as in their mind it assumed that they were not being paid a decent wage.  

My husband, who is a big tipper, refuses to do anything but continue to tip largely in any country he goes to.  He does admit that the tips are easier to accept in local currency.  

My friend was in the tourist industry in Canada.  Some people would tip in US$.  She would save the US$ until she had enough for the bank to exchange or use the US$ when she travelled.

European tour guides would do the same,  save the US$ or Euro until they had enough to exchange at the bank.

• Like 1