Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

10 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

Joy_K- If your husband’s Covid test on day five and day six come out negative does he get to move back into your original cabin and then you’ll do the same testing procedure? Well I really hope you get to enjoy some of your Hawaii cruise.

We will find out tomorrow, day 5 for him.  If he is still positive then he stays with me until his day 10 but 2 negatives - tomorrow and next day-  we think he will move back IF he wants to get off in Hawaii.  My day 6 is last port day so I will miss most if not all of the ports.

12 hours ago, Daniel A said:

It can be 5 days at the ship's discretion.  From the CDC website (updated March 18, 2022 emphasis is mine) :

Discontinuation of Isolation for Travelers (Crew and Passengers)

• To calculate the traveler’s isolation period, day 0 is their first day of symptoms or the day of their positive viral test if asymptomatic.
  • Isolation may be discontinued for symptomatic travelers with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 after 10 days from symptom onset, if they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication and their other symptoms have improved (loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation). Isolation may be discontinued for asymptomatic travelers with confirmed COVID-19 after 10 days from their first positive viral test.
  • Alternatively, at the cruise ship operator’s discretion, isolation may be discontinued for:
    • symptomatic travelers with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 after 5 days from symptom onset, if:
      • they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication and their other symptoms have improved (loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation), and
      • they have two negative antigen [12] tests collected at least 24 hours and no more than 48 hours between tests.
        • If either test result is positive, traveler should continue to isolate for a full 10 days.
        • If both test results are negative, travelers can end isolation, but must continue to properly wear a well-fitting mask when outside of cabin (indoors and outdoors) during days 6-10. During this time, these individuals must have in-cabin dining and also wear a well-fitting mask inside their cabin if any other person (e.g., a crew member) enters the cabin.
    • asymptomatic travelers with confirmed COVID-19 after 5 days from date of first positive test, if:
      • they have two negative antigen tests collected at least 24 hours and no more than 48 hours between tests.
        • If either test result is positive, traveler should continue to isolate for a full 10 days.
        • If both test results are negative, travelers can end isolation, but must continue to properly wear a well-fitting mask when outside of cabin (indoors and outdoors) during days 6-10. During this time, these individuals must have in-cabin dining and also wear a well-fitting mask inside their cabin if any other person (e.g., a crew member) enters the cabin.

Technical Instructions for Mitigation of COVID-19 Among Cruise Ship Crew | Quarantine | CDC

Thanks for that update. I hadn’t seen that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joy_K said:

Currently on the Ruby.........husband is on day 4 of quarantine....... I went for my day 4 test today and the medical personel ran out and caught me as I was getting on the elevator and told me I was positive within minutes of testing.

I have gone to the same cabin as my husband.  The first 3 days he had a terrible time getting through to room service and ordering food but after several trips by me to guest services they have finally got it worked out.  The maitre 'd has called twice and apologized and someone now calls and ask for order and what time he (now we) wants our next call/meal.  Glad they finally got it worked out!!!!  The first few days was frustrating to say the least.

Oh Joy, I'm so sorry this has happened to you and Tim.  You guys had the worst time even making it to the ship.  This just feels like too far into the unfair realm.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I took this as light hearted but in terms of how many people I would infect from the Covid passageway, I can assure you that going into the buffet or sitting in the theater probably carries just as much risk.  

It was certainly a tongue in cheek post...  I don't think there's a ton of airborne Covid virus in the air of the passageway.  You're correct that it's mainly the close contacts where one breathes in freshly exhaled air.  Elevators are my biggest concern as you're trapped if a coughing, sneezing person enters while you're in there.

As an aside, if you do rappel from a helicopter dressed up as Spiderman or Donatello, please make sure you post some photos.  I'd love to see them.  😉 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Joy_K said:

Currently on the Ruby.........husband is on day 4 of quarantine....... I went for my day 4 test today and the medical personel ran out and caught me as I was getting on the elevator and told me I was positive within minutes of testing.

I have gone to the same cabin as my husband.  The first 3 days he had a terrible time getting through to room service and ordering food but after several trips by me to guest services they have finally got it worked out.  The maitre 'd has called twice and apologized and someone now calls and ask for order and what time he (now we) wants our next call/meal.  Glad they finally got it worked out!!!!  The first few days was frustrating to say the least.

Why does it take people getting very upset and going to guest services to get them to do the right thing?!

If they can get it together and do what they should be doing, why not just do it instead of waiting until people are at their wits end. SMH!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I can't help wonder if these stories of how positive folks are handled, both on the ship and off, will make others think twice about reporting if they feel sick/have symptoms. If that is the end result, all those potentially infected folks are off in the world infecting others...but cruiselines get to report no covid....

I think it would be good to take my own self test, if I have symptoms can check it out for myself. 

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

It was certainly a tongue in cheek post...  I don't think there's a ton of airborne Covid virus in the air of the passageway.  You're correct that it's mainly the close contacts where one breathes in freshly exhaled air.  Elevators are my biggest concern as you're trapped if a coughing, sneezing person enters while you're in there.

As an aside, if you do rappel from a helicopter dressed up as Spiderman or Donatello, please make sure you post some photos.  I'd love to see them.  😉 

Wear mask in elevator, mask protects the wearer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Joy_K said:

We will find out tomorrow, day 5 for him.  If he is still positive then he stays with me until his day 10 but 2 negatives - tomorrow and next day-  we think he will move back IF he wants to get off in Hawaii.  My day 6 is last port day so I will miss most if not all of the ports.

Unfortunately you always have the possibility of testing positive for up to 90 days once you have tested positive.:classic_sad:

29 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

Unfortunately you always have the possibility of testing positive for up to 90 days once you have tested positive.:classic_sad:

There is the possibility of testing positive forever isn't there?

I’m sorry for the lame link to this post by @rcl cruiser.  It was posted to the ‘other’ Ruby covid thread. Not all experiences have been bad. 

Our recent back to back Panama Canal cruise on the Ruby was wonderful. We enjoyed it immensely. AND I am one of those who contracted Covid - on the first leg!

The day before arriving in Fort Lauderdale they tested all of us who were doing the return voyage. Approx 15 minutes later we got a call advising my results were positive, but hubby negative. A nurse came to our cabin within minutes to administer a follow up PCR test which confirmed I was indeed positive. Btw I had no symptoms other than a very slight cough.
They gave us the option to leave the cruise next day in Florida, or remain onboard under quarantine - together or me alone. We chose the latter and I was moved immediately to a balcony cabin in the isolation section of the ship.
I cannot commend enough the absolutely superb treatment I received from Dean, the Director of Guest Services. He oversaw my care and took the time to call me every day, to ask how I was doing and if I needed anything. Also amazing were Roberto and his Room Service staff  -  each and every one of them truly caring. I had only to call, and within minutes one of many plastic-covered-angels smiling through their shields and masks would appear at my door with what I’d requested. Sometimes I was sent a little surprise too. 
After testing negative on days 5 and 6, I was released from isolation but was still not allowed to eat in public areas for 4 more days.  So I continued to have my meals in our cabin, and got to know many of them very well over the 10 days.

Sorry that some passengers’ Covid related experiences were unsatisfactory. But ours was completely the opposite - we could not have been treated better.
Kudos to Dean, Roberto and their teams.  We appreciate their taking such great care of us. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

That is correct, my dad got covid on Jan 28th, and March 17th his PCR test came back positive.   We got a note from the doctor showing he had recovered from covid.   The antigen test does not show up positive, just the PCR.     So, future cruisers, you should take a PCR test about 3 weeks before your cruise just to make sure you didn't have covid and not realize it.   It would suck getting on your cruise and they do a random (or not random) PCR test on you and you will be quarantined without the doctor's note even though you recovered from covid months ago.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

My understanding was that while PCR tests might continue to show positive, antigen test would not.

Edited by broberts

17 hours ago, Cruisingawayfromthesnow! said:

is there an atmosphere on board or do you feel that way because you are aware that there have been cases on board?   Take care 

Thank you. Definitely more the case that I am in the perhaps unique position of having close contact with someone from the last cruise. 

42 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

That is correct, my dad got covid on Jan 28th, and March 17th his PCR test came back positive.   We got a note from the doctor showing he had recovered from covid.   The antigen test does not show up positive, just the PCR.     So, future cruisers, you should take a PCR test about 3 weeks before your cruise just to make sure you didn't have covid and not realize it.   It would suck getting on your cruise and they do a random (or not random) PCR test on you and you will be quarantined without the doctor's note even though you recovered from covid months ago.

Good advice. 

I just read through most of this thread and I’m so worried because I’m on the next Ruby sailing 4/11 and  my balcony stateroom is on deck 12 where everyone is quarantining. I’m super new to cruising, does anyone know if I can or should change my deck/ room? I picked the deck and room based on reviews before the outbreak… now I don’t know what to do 😞 Can anyone tell me what area of 12 is being used? I’m Aft 700-something 

3 minutes ago, RDAB08 said:

I just read through most of this thread and I’m so worried because I’m on the next Ruby sailing 4/11 and  my balcony stateroom is on deck 12 where everyone is quarantining. I’m super new to cruising, does anyone know if I can or should change my deck/ room? I picked the deck and room based on reviews before the outbreak… now I don’t know what to do 😞 Can anyone tell me what area of 12 is being used? I’m Aft 700-something 

They will move you if you are in the covid area.  We got moved only a few days before our cruise and when I called to be moved back, they said it was the covid area. When I got onboard, I asked if I could move to another area because I didn't like where I was moved, they did move me, but on that sailing there were very few passengers.  If they don't move you, you should be okay. 

Edited by Level six
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Oh yes, if too many people cram into an elevator, I'm out of there.  I had a bum knee last year so was forced into the elevators but it's stairs for me all the way now.  I've been known to get up and move while in a lounge or theater if someone starts coughing right behind me.  And, I choose to eat dinner at a private table when in the dining room.  And, we try to choose tours or excursions without a lot of people, if we do them at all.  

I will certainly post photos .... who knows how I will dress!  That may be my little surprise.  haha

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The quarantine area is Port Side, Aloha Deck (deck 12).  You are on the Starboard side of deck 12.  I am in the same situation as you for my 4/23 cruise.  I feel it is safer where I'm at than if I were on the deck above or below as quarantined passengers probably spend more time in the balcony than the average passengers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

We were on the Enchanted from 2/28 - 3/20, and there was a big change in elevator etiquette on the second cruise.  On the 2/28 people were respecting the 6 people limit on the elevator although not everyone wore a mask.  On the 3/10 cruise in most cases the elevators were back to "squeeze as many in as you can".  If we wanted to see anyone in a mask DH and I had to look at each other.  We got out of several elevators as others squeezed in.  There was even an announcement and reminder of elevator etiquette on the Wake Show, but it didn't make much difference.   DH can't climb stairs so that wasn't an option.  I commented on the 6 people limit, and I got several snotty replies.  The only thing I kept saying it that I want to keep cruising, and I'll follow the rules to make that possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RDAB08 said:

I think you will be fine there as long as you are on the starboard side ... certainly safer than if you were on the baja or riviera deck on the port side aft as the isolation passengers are allowed to use their balconies.  I've even understood they can use their balcony to smoke if they wish to do so.  Maybe that's just how rumors get started, though but it surely does make sense. 

I can say that I've never smelled smoke on the port side of the ship when my room was all the way aft except for on the Grand when the crew smoking section was moved to the aft on the promenade deck .. alas, I digress.  

There are some balconies on the starboard side on the Baja deck and even a couple on the Caribe deck in your same category that would be easy to move to if you are really uncomfortable staying on the Aloha deck.  The Caribe deck has much nice balconies than the Aloha deck does anyway.  

• Thanks 1