The Daily for Tuesday 04/05/2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Jim.  📷

I saw an interesting photo taken at the dock there in Marmaris, and it was the visa costs, which I guess visitors by boat needed to take care of.  I was studying it and I don't see Russia or China listed here.  I was curious how high the visa would be for those two countries.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLvaJlfgWeZuVSXfbUqkGcH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774454

I wonder what they have against Australians and Canadians?

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

Good morning and thanks all!  Sandi,  enjoyed the Marmaris photos.   Debbie, glad to hear  you had good news.  @smitty34877 hope Tana has turned the corner!  @msmayor congratulations on your new grandchild, hope your DD feels stronger soon.  @NextOne happy birthday and hoping Jackie feels better.

thought I’d add this cartoon for our recent discussions.  

FD51E6C7-A9A6-4A74-8708-B36C09964394.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

It's been pouring here with off and on loud thunder for almost 2 hours now. Praying we don't lose power and for all in the storm's path to stay safe.

@NextOne Edi, such great news about Jackie.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, your pictures are lovely. Thank you for sharing. 

@marshhawk Ann, I'm glad you are not going out today and glad you are getting the test done for yourself. Also happy to hear DH may be getting some pain relief which I know will help you as well in other ways.

@dfish Debbie, joining you in your happy dance.

@smitty34877 Terry, wonderful news about Tana feeling a bit better and that you both got some good sleep. Praying that continues.

@aliaschief and @Quartzsite Cruiser I, too, mentioned the need for better entertainment to HAL following our cruise in December on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Hopefully they are getting the message and will act upon the survey results.

@cunnorl Charlene, I hope your call to HAL was successful.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon everyone, I'm a little late to the Daily today.  I'll go for broke and take the pizza.  I love when I see the first dandelions the bees usually follow.  Great quote from Mother Theresa the little things often add up to big things.  I'll take the white pizza as well.  I haven't been to today's port but am totally enjoying the photos, thanks everyone for posting them.  Prayers for everyone on our list today and I'll say one for my sister Sharon who developed shingles on her face over the weekend.  Cheers to all of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 18

10 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I wonder what they have against Australians and Canadians?

Think positive.  Maybe it means no charge for their visas.  It reminds me when we were once talking to a vendor in Istanbul.  He happened to mention how much he disliked tourists from Russia.  Said they were cheap and arrogant.

• Like 16

Good morning, all! I prefer thin crust to deep dish, but both types of pizza are good. In a few months we are at sea for over 200 days, including the Grand Africa and the Grand World. I guess you can call that going for broke, in several senses of the phrase! The meal,sounds good, but not today.

Yesterday we made an unplanned run to the island after my doctors appointment. Our security system detected a disturbance. This turned out to be a tre falling and hitting the house. It was in direct line with the master bedroom window, but we couldn’t tell from the cameras if the window was broken.

The house I’d just fine. Only the upper part hit the house, and struck below the big upper window. The tree was dead, and shattered itself instead of the house. We do have some cleanup today, though.

I think the live branches it hit and took down took the impact and saved the house.

I don’t know why this insists on posting sideways!

31F87BB4-C579-4710-9E4C-7CAE310F21CF.thumb.jpeg.36760d7ad51c4e344bbdf992c554441f.jpeg

@marshhawk and all others in the path of the storm on the east side of the continent, stay safe!

@msmayor it’s good to hear you again. Congratulations on the new DGD! Best wishes for your DD getting through a very nasty post partum condition. It’s good that she and those around her recognize that she needs help recovering from this.

Happy Tuesday, everyone! Has a tree ever fallen on a BHB? Probably not, but stranger things have happened!

E1BD2125-0F19-488E-A06B-84386042F13F.thumb.jpeg.64313e6d4086352ede964ec51813c06f.jpeg

• Like 27

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I've never had deep dish pizza; I like a normal crust, not thin either. Not going for broke today. I try to keep my lawn dandelion free! But growing up a little old couple nearby would make salads with them.

Excellent quote by Mother Teresa.

I like the meal and the drink. Maybe on the wine.

I haven't been to today's destination. Thanks for the pictures @StLouisCruisers

It's warm here, but showers are coming. It's always something. I've been having some right hand pain, mainly with making a fist or lifting things. I noticed a swelling by the third knuckle a few days ago. I sent pictures to the Rheumatologist. It seems she wants it x-rayed and a joint ultrasound (which is only done at certain facilities and has to be scheduled).

@NextOne Happy Birthday!  Great news that Jackie went home and had a treatable cause!

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanations.

@msmayor Thanks for checking in and telling us of Lana's birth. I hope all will go well for your DD. Ouch on the work situation, but at least you have a considerate boss.

@JAM37 Sorry to hear DH is feeling unwell. Doing a test is wise. Stay safe from the storms.

@dfish Great news on the MRI incidentaloma. I hope they find the source of your pain.

@smitty34877 Great to hear that Tana is finally feeling somewhat better and got some decent sleep!

@marshhawk I'm glad you're getting your tests done, so you can know what's going on. Stay safe during the storms.

@aliaschief Good that you both are feeling a little better each day.

@StLouisCruisers Stay safe during the storms!

@Mr. Boston Prayers for your DS Sharon - shingles are no fun.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. Extra prayers for Ukraine.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Think positive.  Maybe it means no charge for their visas.  It reminds me when we were once talking to a vendor in Istanbul.  He happened to mention how much he disliked tourists from Russia.  Said they were cheap and arrogant.

Both countries are on the list with the highest visa costs listed. Twice as much as US citizens, and most others. Interesting that Russia and China are missing, though.

• Like 13

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday!  I also prefer thin crust pizza and the meal suggestion sounds good today. Sausage and mushroom is my favorite. We don’t have dandelions but I remember them from Colorado growing up. I love Mother Teresa’s quote.  I had to look up today’s port because I hadn’t heard of it before. It’s very close to Rhodes. Thank you for the pictures Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

@msmayor — Congratulations on your granddaughter Lana!  Thank you for sharing about your daughter and her uncertainty about motherhood. Time will help and heal. Good for her to acknowledge that she needs help. 

Edi @NextOne — Happy Birthday!!  Enjoy your day and your friends today. 🧁🎈 Such good news about Jackie also. 

Ann @marshhawk— thank you for the update on Fawn, I was getting worried about her. Good luck on your upcoming tests. 

Ann @cat shepard — I loved the cartoon about the whistling/wheezing!  I’m going to show it to my DM. 

Julia @JAM37 — I hope your DH feels better. 

Debbie @dfish — great news!  Happy dance!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser— cute story about your DD and the dandelions. I did the same thing when DGD would pick the verbena or lantana flowers. 

Maxine @AncientWanderer — glad you get the Magnolia Channel. I think you will enjoy it. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

But they charge in Euros for everyone. Our PM probably said something offensive and, bingo!, Visa price hike here we are!😂

Maybe things are better there now.  Remember this was in 2014.  They could have forgiven and forgotten their tiff by now.😄

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

@Mr. Bostonouch for your poor sister!  Shingles on the face must be horrible.  I hope she got the medication for it the doctors prescribe.

@Horizon chaser 1957I'm sure you're happy the tree that fell was dead and shattered.  It could have been so much worse.  I suppose when you leave on your extensive cruising later this year you will have a neighbor or friend keep an eye on the house for you.  Never know what will happen next!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

But they charge in Euros for everyone. Our PM probably said something offensive and, bingo!, Visa price hike here we are!😂

I know,  that’s why the silly faces.  Makes zero sense.   

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I will post more later, but wanted to share this:  It was so like my 4 step-children when I met them before I married their Father.  It is especially significant today.

Dandelions put down roots almost anywhere and it is impossible to destroy.  It is an unpretentious plant, yet good looking.  It is a survivor in a broad range of climates.

Military children bloom everywhere the winds carry them.  They are hardy and upright.  Their roots are strong, cultivated deeply in the culture of the Military, planted swiftly and surely.  They're ready to fly in the breezes that take them to new adventures, new lands, and new friends.

Military children are well-rounded, culturally aware, tolerant, and extremely resilient.  They have learned from an early age that home is where their hearts are.  That a good friend can be found in every corner of the world.

They learn that to survive means to adapt.  That the door that closes one chapter of their life opens to a new and exciting adventure full of new friends and new experiences.

To my 4 great step-children!!!!!

Mary Kay

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Horizon chaser 1957I'm sure you're happy the tree that fell was dead and shattered.  It could have been so much worse.  I suppose when you leave on your extensive cruising later this year you will have a neighbor or friend keep an eye on the house for you.  Never know what will happen next!

Yes, we are very happy and very lucky! The branches and debris are cleared away now and the back door is clear. The tree was dead, but still completely solid. There is an unbroken 80 foot trunk left on the ground waiting to be bucked up for firewood. A few feet longer and our 8 foot bedroom window would be history! 

• Like 17

Good Afternoon from the Miami Airport as we wait for our flight to Barcelona.

i am not a fan of deep dish pizza as it is made in the US.  However, my aunt used to make thick crusted Sicilian pizza that was to die for.  May she Rest In Peace.  i will get some in Italy in a few weeks.

We had a nice lunch in the Flagship Lounge and think we will skip the meal on the plane.

Like Mother Teresa’s quote.  i agree.  Sometimes it is just the small things you do with love that counts. 

@dfishglad to hear your diagnosis was benign.

@smitty34877glad to hear Tana is doing better and you are all sleeping better.

Prayers to all who need them and cheers to all celebrating.

i see there is bad weather in the South that is even affecting us at home.  Prayers for all affected that there is minimal damage.

Roy, thank you for putting us on the cheers list.

We ask for a prayer that we have a safe flight to Barcelona.

Our next post, hopefully with photos, will be after we land.

Take care everyone and stay safe—especially from those in the path of the storms.

God bless,

Terri

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We ask for a prayer that we have a safe flight to Barcelona.

Our next post, hopefully with photos, will be after we land.

I've been thinking of you all morning Terri!  Safe travels and prayers coming your way.  Can't wait to see your pictures!

• Like 12

@smitty34877@marshhawk, @cat shepard, @grapau27, @ger_77, @ottahand7, @puppycanducruise, @Quartzsite Cruiser, @Cruising-along, @bennybear, @JAM37, @JazzyV, @Sharon in AZ, @Cruzin Terri:  thank you for your celebratory words.  I went out to lunch with a friend today to celebrate.  I knew that most of these things are benign, but I had a friend who had a cancerous adrenal tumor and passed away.  You can't help but think of that.  

@NextOne I am so happy that Jackie was able to be discharged and that an easy remedy was found for her.  

@marshhawk I am really happy you are getting the tests done for your adrenal problems.  Never let them wait.  

@smitty34877 I am overjoyed that Tana was able to put together 5 solid hours of sleep last night.  How wonderful for both of  you.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

While aboard the Ryndam in 2014, we stopped in Marmaris but did not see much of the city.  We instead took an excursion that was entitled Dalyan, Caunos & Iztuzu Beach. After riding in a bus for almost 90 minutes, we arrived at a riverside restaurant in Dalyan where we had a short break prior to boarding a boat. Here's an example of the boats used to transport tourist downriver to a stop near the ancient ruins of Caunos.

F5B2AB50-09E8-4CFA-B495-1D7E225A2AAD.thumb.jpeg.918ba63fc43e944252a40b67beb9cf36.jpeg

On the way to our first stop, we passed by some tombs carved into a cliff side by some ancient kings during the 4th century BC. You'll notice one tomb was never finished and others are deteriorating. The mountain is limestone, which suffers from water erosion. Of course, I'm sure nothing I've built will be around for another 2500 years.

D90D8857-E1AD-45AD-BD1E-67B8101A19C9.thumb.jpeg.bf896570fc3db149524644007f226158.jpeg

B93719F3-07A8-4DA2-9A8F-40EFC1734BA8.thumb.jpeg.3e94515fd1242160b5dde31a13f5a3ee.jpeg

CF834F5F-FDAA-4472-B1CF-F5D0226A85E3.thumb.jpeg.06681a85d6bd8d1956d020167303fa02.jpeg

When we got to the dock for seeing the ruins at Caunos, we faced a 20-25 minute walk. They did have a tractor with a trailer that can take a few people up to the ruins, but most everyone hiked up the hill. A lot of excavation still needs to be done. Basically, we viewed the Roman bathhouse, a church and the theatre. Here're some photos.

EAA91B97-B227-46F8-9623-FD633B72595E.thumb.jpeg.071d6dc2df84b3aea91ac2288843af33.jpeg

12D4E302-BE32-4377-8A39-745408BF2334.thumb.jpeg.c521426509970c88f42c6a6bb129e18e.jpeg

BB10F0B0-F8BC-48BD-B40E-62472737527E.thumb.jpeg.bd0d9ac00f4237338a3a0c4658cc65c0.jpeg

When we finished our visit, we had a shorter hike back to a different dock where we rejoined our boat. We then traveled downriver to Iztuzu Beach. We were there only about 15 minutes, since no one wanted to swim and everyone was ready to get to lunch. Here's what the beach looks like.

82EB7C06-E3AB-4566-9AB6-8381BA8E3863.thumb.jpeg.ef368b63253422b9d2475cae8c517bbf.jpeg

0DEF38D8-09E4-4C6D-A7ED-467074954A20.thumb.jpeg.e1e74263601816b6a21b2c91f6cdf6c5.jpeg

7E570B62-CFAE-4D36-A072-C6E42939CDAE.thumb.jpeg.8fcfd3ba87955633967995eafe66e04a.jpeg

After leaving the beach, we traveled upriver back to the restaurant. An amazing number of boats like the one we were on lined the riverbank. Our guide indicated the place gets very busy during high season. The tables for our lunch were outside near the dock, but they were under a tree, so we had some nice shade. A buffet had been set up for the salad. Waiters brought our entree to the table. Everyone had a choice of sea bass or chicken/lamb. After finishing our enjoyable lunch, we got back on the bus for our return to the ship.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 11

I had an appointment at the hospital this afternoon for my follow up BCC op check up.

Consultant was pleased with the  recovery.

She confirmed it was a basal cell carcinoma they cut out.

She said it was quite large at 

9mm × 3mm and they had took 3mm away around the circumference of the BCC.

Graham.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3