Testing Positive for Covid onboard Silhouette transatlantic

jetblue

For passengers on this cruise who are also following this thread- what is the general atmosphere of the rest of the passengers? Do others seemed to be concerned about the rise in cases? Are masks being voluntarily worn? Restaurants, bars and theaters full? Pool areas crowded? Are ports now requiring ships excursions?  In other words, is everything else running along like normal or has the 

increased Covid exposures  put a damper on passengers enjoyment?

We have a cruise in July departing from Barcelona.  Whatever the protocols are the whole point is how is this going to affect our cruise and our vacation if one or both of us become I’ll and test positive anywhere along the way. It doesn’t sound like ports are requiring cruise sponsored excursions.  As we get into summer these ships will undoubtedly have higher passenger counts.  

We will do whatever it takes to keep ourselves as  healthy and as safe as we can.  We will be wearing masks on our flights. We plan to also wear them around the ship.   We have  14 hr flights and will admit that will be a challenge just to get there.  We have been on quite a few flights in the last year and have managed.     For us our enjoyment is in staying Covid free and not having to go into quarantine and isolation anywhere along the way.  We will take precautions.    Even with extreme care as others will attest testing positive is always a risk. Traveling is a risk.  Cruising safely is just not like it used to be.   Our longtime travel buddies have decided this is just not how they want to cruise and will affect their enjoyment of their vacation. For us plans will go on. 

• Like 3

Thank you David and Steven for keeping us all informed throughout this ordeal for you and for your positivity and humour.

We board the Silhouette in Thursday as you get off it's a shame you can't stay on for the France, Spain etc leg!

I am hearing this morning that several people boarding with us are having their cabins changed. The common denominator is that they were on deck 6 and are being moved to create an isolation area.

You may well have been instrumental in this happing 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Alushar said:

Thank you David and Steven for keeping us all informed throughout this ordeal for you and for your positivity and humour.

We board the Silhouette in Thursday as you get off it's a shame you can't stay on for the France, Spain etc leg!

I am hearing this morning that several people boarding with us are having their cabins changed. The common denominator is that they were on deck 6 and are being moved to create an isolation area.

Hopefully for passengers because on the TA passengers were moved from Deck 6 to create space for quarantining crew only.

5 hours ago, jetblue said:

Quarantine cruisine time! This one was a big meh. I've had much better but honestly not even that hungry with the limited exercise we are getting so most was leftover.

Green leaf chicken salad

Poached Fluke

Warm apple tart tatin

I wish we had eaten earlier and I could have sent you pictures that you could watch while dining.  

Iain had the Poached Fluke and agreed with the Meh...   I had the Warm Apple Tar tatin and it was yum.   But looked better properly plated.

We were talking to Brad in retreat night who's husband is a neighbor of yours on deck 3 but he remained negative so remained in his cabin.   He was the guy I though might have been Steven.

Out of an abundance I pretested this morning before we are tested tomorrow really early.    I had a solid negative so remaining vigilant.  

While out walking on 10 today I noticed a Nurse in the hallway donning a gown, mask, gloves and face shield about to knock on a door.   Also noticed a stateroom attendant spraying the railing and all hard touch surfaces so I turned around and moved down to deck 8. 

Curious as to how many days total you tested positive? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Poconolady said:

For passengers on this cruise who are also following this thread- what is the general atmosphere of the rest of the passengers? Do others seemed to be concerned about the rise in cases? Are masks being voluntarily worn? Restaurants, bars and theaters full? Pool areas crowded? Are ports now requiring ships excursions?  In other words, is everything else running along like normal or has the 

increased Covid exposures  put a damper on passengers enjoyment?

Being a passenger out in the wild.   I've noticed a raise in mask wearing but still a very small percentage of passengers.   

This cruise is only about 1/2 capacity so no crowding.   I haven't been to the theater but watching some of it on TV the theater looks well spaced out.   Some however have no sense of social distancing.    We have been in some places that were 90% empty and someone comes over and sits right next to us.   We just get up and find a new place.

Luminae seems to be placing people with spacing but next cruise with about 2,200 passengers will be interesting to see.  

All passengers seem to be enjoying themselves in spite of the uptick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, jetblue said:

Quarantine cruisine time! This one was a big meh. I've had much better but honestly not even that hungry with the limited exercise we are getting so most was leftover.

Green leaf chicken saladPXL_20220418_183903728.thumb.jpg.4018ac64d725a1e56859614f6e81425c.jpg

Poached Fluke

PXL_20220418_184740344.thumb.jpg.5656bfa685f787c1a4525d3288afc2e4.jpg

Warm apple tart tatin

PXL_20220418_185905460.thumb.jpg.197d6e698f068188daf3d54dc306a578.jpg

This meal is beyond meh. If I were hungry I'd be ordering something else.

As far as your OBC, you can purchase the robes used in the retreat. New ones, still in the package.  I think they are $60.  But, maybe you don't want that as a reminder of your ordeal.

3 hours ago, Alushar said:

Where did they move them too? We board on Thursday and are booked in a Deck 6 balcony, have checked the app and still showing our original stateroom. 

Just now, littlemisshoney said:

Where did they move them too? We board on Thursday and are booked in a Deck 6 balcony, have checked the app and still showing our original stateroom. 

It's unclear on the ship right now.   Some of the guest that had a deck 6 booking have a Zero in place of a room number.   The Documentation Officer said shoreside is working with the ship and possibly they will open part of 6 RED ZONE because of the expected 2,200 guest on the next cruise.     They said they would know more before we get to Southampton.

57 minutes ago, littlemisshoney said:

On FB a couple of people say they've been moved one to Deck 7 and I can't remember the other one so I won't second guess

23 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Jim_Iain had mentioned on his thread that Guest Relations have a limited supply of proctored tests available for sale. Maybe you should pick up a few using your OBC for testing when you get off of the ship. 

How exactly do you propose they do that when they are locked in jail?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I wish we had eaten earlier and I could have sent you pictures that you could watch while dining.  

Iain had the Poached Fluke and agreed with the Meh...   I had the Warm Apple Tar tatin and it was yum.   But looked better properly plated.

We were talking to Brad in retreat night who's husband is a neighbor of yours on deck 3 but he remained negative so remained in his cabin.   He was the guy I though might have been Steven.

Out of an abundance I pretested this morning before we are tested tomorrow really early.    I had a solid negative so remaining vigilant.  

While out walking on 10 today I noticed a Nurse in the hallway donning a gown, mask, gloves and face shield about to knock on a door.   Also noticed a stateroom attendant spraying the railing and all hard touch surfaces so I turned around and moved down to deck 8. 

Curious as to how many days total you tested positive? 

That fluke was pretty terrible, glad it wasn't just me. The apples and the vanilla gelato were definitely enjoyable.

They are definitely getting more cases today, doctor was very late today to check on us and they still haven't given Steven his day 5 test.

The ship refuses to test me again so I don't know if I'm positive or negative anymore. I had my last test on day 5 and I was still positive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I assume quarantined people are not actually locked in cabins as that would be a potential safety issue. There have probably been incidences when a quarantined person leaves the cabin to grab some fresh air or a drink/food or have a smoke, so what are the consequences for such an 'escapee'?

Day 7 update, medical staff today seem to be very busy so I can only assume there must be new positive cases today. We normally get a visit from the doctor around 10am but today that visit didn't come until much later and this time from an assistant or a nurse. Steven is supposed to get his day 5 test today but they weren't prepared to do it when the assistant arrived so we are waiting to see if they come back for him.

Not much else to report now, only 2 more days until we are free!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jaapie said:

I assume quarantined people are not actually locked in cabins as that would be a potential safety issue. There have probably been incidences when a quarantined person leaves the cabin to grab some fresh air or a drink/food or have a smoke, so what are the consequences for such an 'escapee'?

I think someone posted they're not given a key to get back in the cabin....unless you can leave the door ajar and unless there's no steward about, guess one could 'escape' to fresh air.  I sit out on our mostly enclosed back porch even in winter, so this condition would drive me bats.

3 minutes ago, jaapie said:

You risk infecting other passengers and crew most importantly. Secondly, not following the protocols means they will not process a refund for your cruise and I assume some sort of cruising ban as well.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, jetblue said:

That fluke was pretty terrible, glad it wasn't just me. The apples and the vanilla gelato were definitely enjoyable.

They are definitely getting more cases today, doctor was very late today to check on us and they still haven't given Steven his day 5 test.

The ship refuses to test me again so I don't know if I'm positive or negative anymore. I had my last test on day 5 and I was still positive.

David, as I recall you said the ship was only performing  PCR tests  on you.  Since you are symptom free and past 5 days, it might give you more confident if you could obtain/take an Antigen test.  Let’s hope Steven can also become symptom free.  I believe it is accepted as a fact that a PCR test after you are symptom free and five days after you first positive (or a indication  of your first symptoms) can result in a false positive for many weeks and even months. 

It might be a worthwhile investment if the ship as any Antigen test that you can purchase. You might gain some confidence with a negative Antigen test result.  

Although you have unfortunately been burdened with this situation, your  reporting and attitude is refreshing and commendable.  I wish you and Steven an easy transition home.  You certainly deserve one.

• Like 7

Capt George didn’t mention covid cases in his 0945 broadcast today, as he has the last few days. Perhaps coincidentally, he only started giving any details after David and others reported on CC.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

It's unclear on the ship right now.   Some of the guest that had a deck 6 booking have a Zero in place of a room number.   The Documentation Officer said shoreside is working with the ship and possibly they will open part of 6 RED ZONE because of the expected 2,200 guest on the next cruise.     They said they would know more before we get to Southampton.

What us deck 6 ted zone? 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Do you know which stateroom numbers are in deck 6 red zone? 

Best wishes, and thanks, to @jetblue.

Just a thought on "why Deck 3?":

Seems obvious to me that closer to medical, and relatively concentrated, can mean less time to attend patients than it would take for the med staff to go throughout the ship to dozens of scattered cabins. Closer also means a faster response if needed. Food deliveries, too.

Furthermore, seems X wants everybody else to be able to enjoy their cruise as much as possible. I think that someone mentioned the cleaning being done while wearing protective gear. Would everyone be very comfortable seeing these crews wandering seemingly at random through all decks? 

It is unfortunate that the OP and others suffer not only the effects of the infection, but also such inconvenience, displacement, and disappointment. But with crew members also sick, allowances have to be made for trying to keep the ship running as efficiently as possible, including treatment of quarantined pax. Gathering them relatively close together seems smart.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

David and Steven.  I too am on this cruise with my husband.   Thank you for doing the right thing and helping to keep all of us safe and healthy.  I hope your travels aren't delayed.  You've been thru so much already with more documentation and hoops to jump through. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2022 at 12:29 PM, Oceangoer2 said:

My grandsons had covid (not too ill but sick enough) and were told they could still show a 'positive' test for up to 90 days!  If they were not symptomatic after 5 days they could go about their usual schedule.  Maybe ask the medical team why this should be any different for you re isolation?

This is True

• Like 2