DRESS CODE

florence11

T h rre will b e 2 "formal" nights but you don't have to wear a jacket and tie. Some do some don't

Other nights they'd like men to wear a shirt with a collar

Jeans are fine

The suggestions are rarely enforced but most don't wear workout clothes to dinner

• Like 1

There will be 3-4 formal nights depending on if it is available as 2 7 days cruises or as only 114 day cruise. I wear slacks button down shirt and sports coat for those. For non formal nights jeans and short sleeve shirt

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

There is no dress code but some suggestions. The only thing Princess doesn't allow is shorts in the dining room at dinner. The Caribbean will be very casual.

Unfortunately, on the Discovery that is not so.  I was on the inaugural cruise and in Club Clas, and was shocked to see several men in shorts and flip flops at dinner.  I thought for an inaugural cruise, passengers would dress appropriately, I was sadly wrong.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, florence11 said:

Hi,

We are on Emerald princess in March 2023 in the caribbean and am wondering what the evening dress code will be for 14 nights.

Thanks

33 minutes ago, memoak said:

There will be 3-4 formal nights depending on if it is available as 2 7 days cruises or as only 114 day cruise. I wear slacks button down shirt and sports coat for those. For non formal nights jeans and short sleeve shirt

It's the 14-night Circle Caribbean, so 3 "formal" nights. 

ETA:  For the OP, the suggested dress requirements are for the MDR's only.  Specialty Dining and other venues, including entertainment remain Smart Casual (Specialty Dining) or Casual.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

Princess's dress code, if you can call it that, is pretty much gone. 

On casual night shorts were abundant in the DR with just about any shirt you could imagine - from T shirts to Hawaiian with lots of crazy designs.

On formal night there were still wearing jackets but the numbers definitely have shrunk but it wasn't enforced in any fashion. Even jeans were seen with a button down short sleeve shirt were allowed.

I did see 1 guy in a tux later that night in the show lounge.

And yes there were some still adhering to the jacket & tie but there getting further & fewer between. 

The women wore just about anything from glitzy long dresses to black slacks with any top. I wore my jacket each night since the DR's were always cold.

Hi,

I have done a lot of Caribbean cruises on Princess.  I happen to like tropical pattern dresses, skirts and pants.  I do bring a shawl for the AC.  I favor long skirts and dresses.  I have also brought some of the $20. island dresses in some of the islands.  They are short sleeves, so I wear a shrug with them.  They pack well and don't wrinkle.

My husband will wear tropical shirts and long dress pants.  On dress up night he wears his tux. But on our last cruise he just put a sport jacket  on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, florence11 said:

Hi,

We are on Emerald princess in March 2023 in the caribbean and am wondering what the evening dress code will be for 14 nights.

Thanks

On a 14 night cruise you can expect 3 formal nights

• Like 1

If you are from Wales, then a cruise out of Florida, USA, will be more casual than you might be accustomed. More casual on a Caribbean or Mexican cruise than other Princess itineraries. For example a round trip out of Southampton.

While I pack a tux, they do ask for Black Tie, dinner jacket or dark suit, you see fewer and fewer dressed as recommended. I wish more people understood the value of dressing for dinner, but that is the state of things presently, if that is what you are asking. Wear what you are willing to pack and would feel good about wearing to a really nice restaurant near you.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 5

This is what is posted on Princess website. But.......

Topic is very subjective.To the author/ op ,I see that your cruise is quite a way in the future. The dress code has never changed according to the itinerary that you go on. It’s pretty much the same. But with that being said you will see all sorts of “dress” happening in the main dining room(s)for dinner. But honestly don’t worry too much about it . It is a recommendation for dinner in the main DR.

If you want to wear tropical shirts and dresses in the Caribbean, go for it. If you wish to dress up , go for it. If you want to dress smart casual every night go for it. 

Dress Code 

During your cruise, you should dress the same way you would do ashore. Leisure wear such as shorts and t-shirts is appropriate on board and on shore excursions in a warm climate. Depending on your itinerary, we advise you to bring sweaters and jackets for chilly evenings.

Keep in mind that it could rain and that you need correct clothing for visits to religious sites. On deck, sandals with rubber soles and sneakers are ideal.

There are two recommendations for evenings and dinners:

• Smart casual:
    Dress the same way you would do for a visit to a restaurant at home. Skirts, dresses or trousers with t-shirt or blouse for ladies, trousers and shirt or poloshirt for gentlemen. Shorts and swimwear are not allowed in the restaurant.
  • Formal:
    Evening gown, cocktail dress or pantsuits for ladies, suit, combination or dinner jackets for gentlemen.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

This is what is posted on Princess website. But.......

Topic is very subjective.To the author/ op ,I see that your cruise is quite a way in the future. The dress code has never changed according to the itinerary that you go on. It’s pretty much the same. But with that being said you will see all sorts of “dress” happening in the main dining room(s)for dinner. But honestly don’t worry too much about it .

Dress Code 

During your cruise, you should dress the same way you would do ashore. Leisure wear such as shorts and t-shirts is appropriate on board and on shore excursions in a warm climate. Depending on your itinerary, we advise you to bring sweaters and jackets for chilly evenings.

Keep in mind that it could rain and that you need correct clothing for visits to religious sites. On deck, sandals with rubber soles and sneakers are ideal.

There are two recommendations for evenings and dinners:

• Smart casual:
    Dress the same way you would do for a visit to a restaurant at home. Skirts, dresses or trousers with t-shirt or blouse for ladies, trousers and shirt or poloshirt for gentlemen. Shorts and swimwear are not allowed in the restaurant.
  • Formal:
    Evening gown, cocktail dress or pantsuits for ladies, suit, combination or dinner jackets for gentlemen.

That has been posted many times and is really enforced.  Doing this changes nothing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Potstech said:

That has been posted many times and is really enforced.  Doing this changes nothing.

as it should be. Hoping and wishing for staff that is onboard to assist in our pleasure while onboard to police what should be common sense is really asking a lot

• Like 1

To the author/op- here is some information  direct from the Princess website. This is under faq: what to pack.

to the others- I am just trying to answer the op,not everyone who starts a thread  is aware that this topic can be so intense ,they are just asking a legitimate question. Just because it has been posted many times, the op is asking cc a question.  Some subjects will be asked over & over with new threads...  we on this forum should try to be helpful if we are able.

Everyones experience once onboard is also very subjective,so just because Princess recommends this .... 

Smart Casual

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, trousers, blouses, and sweaters for women

Pants and collared shirts for men

Pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening attire or cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men.

Length of cruise 1-4 Days 0 formal nights, 1-4 Smart casual

Length of cruise 5-6 Days 1 formal night ,4-5 smart casual 

Length of cruise 7-13 Days 2 formal nights,5-11 smart casual 

Length of cruise 14-20 Days 3 formal nights,11-17 smart casual 

Length of cruise 21-28 Days ,4  formal nights,17-24 smart casual 

Length of cruise 29+ Days ,5 formal nights minimum ,24+ Smart casual nights.

Edited by arizonaperson

3 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

. I wish more people understood the value of dressing for dinner, but that is the state of things presently, if that is what you are asking. Wear what you are willing to pack and would feel good about wearing to a really nice restaurant near you.

Exactly what is the value of forcing someone to wear something they don't want to wear. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Exactly what is the value of forcing someone to wear something they don't want to wear. 

Since I don't advocate compulsory dress on formal night, I am not a good person to ask.

Suggesting to wear, "what you would feel good about wearing," should have been a clue to my opinion.

If a poster advocates a mandated dress code, you might ask them.

We dress for dinner because we enjoy it. Not because we have to.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

To the author/op- here is some information  direct from the Princess website. This is under faq: what to pack.

to the others- I am just trying to answer the op,not everyone who starts a thread  is aware that this topic can be so intense ,they are just asking a legitimate question. Just because it has been posted many times, the op is asking cc a question.  Some subjects will be asked over & over with new threads...  we on this forum should try to be helpful if we are able.

Everyones experience once onboard is also very subjective,so just because Princess recommends this .... 

Smart Casual

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, trousers, blouses, and sweaters for women

Pants and collared shirts for men

Pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening attire or cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men.

Length of cruise 1-4 Days 0 formal nights, 1-4 Smart casual

Length of cruise 5-6 Days 1 formal night ,4-5 smart casual 

Length of cruise 7-13 Days 2 formal nights,5-11 smart casual 

Length of cruise 14-20 Days 3 formal nights,11-17 smart casual 

Length of cruise 21-28 Days ,4  formal nights,17-24 smart casual 

Length of cruise 29+ Days ,5 formal nights minimum ,24+ Smart casual nights.

Again constantly posted, rarely enforced.

• Like 1