The Daily for Monday 04/18/2022

richwmn

@kazuJacqui, that's a beautiful video you posted.  It really did bring tears to my eyes this morning.  Thank you for sharing it.

Thinking of all this morning.  I'll check back in later today.  We have been running a marathon of our own for the past few days.  DSIL made a wonderful Seder dinner.  We had Easter brunch with both kids and their families, and today we have some birthdays to celebrate, at Legoland.  I've never been there before.

Stay safe and enjoy the day, everyone.  Thanks to our contributors here.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  @dfish hope the surgeon can give you better news,  thanks for the lovely Japanese recipes, I love Katsu don! 
@kazu what a lovely video of Jose’,  I think I recognize the smiling face of a mutual friend.  How I miss being onboard. 
@Cruzin Terri I agree with the others,  those therapeutics need to be taken early.  Hope you get the treatment needed.  
Finally, the crocuses are poking out.

85019771-FDD4-4E98-A314-3CADE8E63482.jpeg

• Like 30

3 hours ago, kazu said:

They asked if I had any pictures so I showed them this video that my Ipad had created.:

🙂Your posting of a collection of past travel pictures, reminded me look for one I made of some of our past travels for a friend of ours.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

I don't think so far I've seen any photos from outside Amber Cove.  I did a basic tour of Puerto Plato which is about a 25 minute drive from the port.  This is the town square:

platacentral.jpg

Most of our time was spent at the Fortaleza San Felipe a fortress on a peninsula overlooking the harbor:

forteleza1.jpg

forteleza2.jpg

forteleza3.jpg

forteleza4.jpg

Rioy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

my B-12 level should help my nerves to heal my numbskull, according to doc. 

@StLouisCruisers 

I keep meaning to share my MOHS numbness experience with you, but have always gotten sidetracked. Not today!

In 2000, I had MOHS on my upper forehead at the hairline. For many weeks after, it felt like I had a hair curler pulled too tight in that area. I'd reach up to remove the curler only to be reminded it didn't exist. 

Then that feeling vanished and I had a numbness. The numbness progressed into a tingling numbness. (Tingling numbness – is that an oxymoron?) My doctor said the tingling was the nerves recovering.

Finally, eight months after the MOHS, the numbness and the tingling disappeared.

Hang in there! It's frustrating. Hopefully, your numbness will soon resolve.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all!

After a gorgeous day yesterday (and yes, I did some "blah blah blah-ing" with the neighbors as we did gardening) today we'll be getting some rain this afternoon.  And the rain will stay awhile.  But up to the mid 50's, so it's warming up slowly. So a good day to get some housework done.  I did finish my counted cross-stitch, after it's washed and pressed I'll share a photo.

I will pass on the wine, drink and meal today, and like others I disagree with the quote.  We will be at Amber Cove in early November for the first time, thank you for all the photos and descriptions. We aren't beach people, but from the photos it does look like an easy port to just walk around a bit.

Tonight will be leftovers from last night, ham, scalloped potatoes and salad.

Debbie @dfishsending hugs and prayers that you get some resolution,  and the appointment with the surgeon comes soon. You've been dealing with that pain too long.

Happy Birthday @sailingdutchy's Martha and @Cruzin Terri's Jim!  @Cruzin TerriI hope you feel better soon.

Jacqui @kazuwhat a great video, thank you for sharing it with us.

@superomagreat photo of your DH and his sisters!  How wonderful you could all get together.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

We have had 4 two week vacations in Dominion Republic. One of the interesting sights is taking the cable car up the mountain where pine trees grow among the palm trees.  Quite a difference in temperature. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I'll salute Marathoners, Ham Operators,  and love our monuments.  This week we will be having amateur radio people in our stations for emergency drills.  I don;t think I agree with the Marilyn Monroe quote.  I've been to Amber Cove just once on the Koningsdam.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the Tendon.  My alternative is Chilled Peach and Ginger Soup, Rustic Lasagna, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Zaandam April 18, 2017:

dishes18.jpg

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Sea Viewer DH recovering from heart attack and reluctant to take care of himself
Lady Hudson SIL in rehab after stroke
Gracie with possible stroke
Hartgrove older sister entering hospice
Durangoscots new leaky shelter roof
Cruzin Terri ill on Nautica
From the rotation:
msmayir’s daughter struggling with motherhood
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Buddy still having trouble despite slow improvement
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Zaandam and Noordam in Everglades
Volendam housing refugees
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
Happy Birthday Martha
Boston Marathon
Lady Hudson visiting SIL
ottahand7 DB almost ready for rehab discharge
Good Easter dinner for Kazu
 Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5) sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8) and at sea
Kazu’s at Easter Dinner with friends
Welcome home cruzin single and grapau27
Dismomx5 on grandchild watch
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for my mention in the celebrations list Roy.

Graham.

• Like 13

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich, Roy and all who post so regularly.    It's so nice being in touch with you all!

IMG_0195.thumb.jpg.2fbe8694678d9d68229c3c526dcf5f33.jpg

DD sent me that a couple of weeks ago and I finally figured out how to post it!  Had to transport it into my photo library, and then I could drag it onto my desktop.  And then here.  But it does seem to be appropriate still!

We were in Amber Cove in 2018 with Tony and Martha and Dutch friends of theirs.  We just wandered in the port area.  

• Like 22
  • Haha 14

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'll salute the Boston Marathon; I went to school in Boston and the race went right by one of my apartments, so we'd stand out and cheer, if not in class. Amateur radio can be fun, and I like many monuments and sites. 

I disagree with the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and drink. I like the wine, but too $$$. 

I've never been to the DR. Thanks for the pictures.

It's rainy/snowy here today. Only 35F right now. Yesterday's dinner was tasty, and BFF went home with a nice container of Shepherd's pie. The county is reporting lots of flu cases here; I guess it's not just in winter any more, plus the flu shot wasn't a good match this year.

@Crazy For Cats Thanks for the video! I missed it as I had company and wasn't at the PC. Wow!

@dfish I agree a year is long to wait to repeat your blood tests. I hope the surgeon can formulate a treatment plan to help you.

@kazu Stay safe on the roads. I'm glad you enjoyed dinner with your very thoughtful friends. Thank you so much for sharing the lovely  and touching video with us!

@sailingdutchy Happy Birthday to Martha! I saw you two on the video.

@Cruzin Terri So sorry your temp is back up. Maybe flu? Agree with a repeat test. Happy Birthday to Jim!

@jayhawk66 Have a great cruise!

@superoma It sounds like you had a great time seeing family again over Easter. Sorry your back is bothering you; take it easy. Nice picture of DH and his sisters.

@Horizon chaser 1957 It's awful that it's so hard to get ahold of anyone at HAL.

@GeorgeCharlie Nice video.

@grapau27 Welcome home!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. Special prayers for Ukraine.

Take care everyone and stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

57 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@StLouisCruisers 

I keep meaning to share my MOHS numbness experience with you, but have always gotten sidetracked. Not today!

In 2000, I had MOHS on my upper forehead at the hairline. For many weeks after, it felt like I had a hair curler pulled too tight in that area. I'd reach up to remove the curler only to be reminded it didn't exist. 

Then that feeling vanished and I had a numbness. The numbness progressed into a tingling numbness. (Tingling numbness – is that an oxymoron?) My doctor said the tingling was the nerves recovering.

Finally, eight months after the MOHS, the numbness and the tingling disappeared.

Hang in there! It's frustrating. Hopefully, your numbness will soon resolve.

I'm looking forward to that tingling feeling coming around.  Eight months sounds right in line with what the doc said last week.  Glad to hear you survived being a numbskull!

Also, I want to say thanks for the photos and descriptions of Amber Cove.  @marshhawk, @summer slope, @ottahand7, @Overhead Fredand @rafinmd.  Hope I didn't forget anyone!  The colorful umbrellas hanging over your head there immediately brought to mind Aix en Provence!  Saw that there on a tour in 2019 with DD and family.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the many delightful posts today.  @kazuyour pictures are so wonderful for your beloved DH.  Cherish your photos and your special times!

Today should be the last of my medical appointments for a while.  I have an echocardiogram today which is just routine!  Hadn't had one for several years.  The thing that has driven me crazy is the multi-page on-line checkin that I have done three times in two weeks.  All for the same groups associated with the local hospital.  Can't they look at what I have been doing in MyChart?!??/\

Yesterday was overcast and as usual, windy.  Couldn't even get outside for just a short time.  So far today, it is bright and sunny, but I am afraid to even comment on possibility of wind!

I have spent the morning catching up on Red Cross emails.  Then I just sent a very long email to my HAL PCC to change things around on my booked cruises.  He may "fire" me after all the changes/cancellations that I made.  Will see how things work out!

Have a great rest of the day, everyone! Happy Birthday to those celebrating.  Continued prayers for the Cares List and, of course, prayers for all our dedicated caregivers who are doing so much! 

• Like 25

22 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@Horizon chaser 1957 It's awful that it's so hard to get ahold of anyone at HAL

I think their system must have suddenly gone down. I expect a long hold time, it was the abrupt change to ‘please try again another time’ and the hang up that surprised me. When I called back on the other number, I got that message right away with no hold first. Under those circumstances, I’d rather be on my end of the phone than theirs!

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Thanks for the many delightful posts today.  @kazuyour pictures are so wonderful for your beloved DH.  Cherish your photos and your special times!

Today should be the last of my medical appointments for a while.  I have an echocardiogram today which is just routine!  Hadn't had one for several years.  The thing that has driven me crazy is the multi-page on-line checkin that I have done three times in two weeks.  All for the same groups associated with the local hospital.  Can't they look at what I have been doing in MyChart?!??/\

@cruzn single I hear you. Sometimes I've had 2 or 3 appointments in one week, all at the same place, and have to do the e-check in through MyChart 3 times, answering the same questions each time!

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

After a gorgeous day yesterday (and yes, I did some "blah blah blah-ing" with the neighbors as we did gardening) today we'll be getting some rain this afternoon.  And the rain will stay awhile.  But up to the mid 50's, so it's warming up slowly. So a good day to get some housework done.  I did finish my counted cross-stitch, after it's washed and pressed I'll share a photo.

I will pass on the wine, drink and meal today, and like others I disagree with the quote.  We will be at Amber Cove in early November for the first time, thank you for all the photos and descriptions. We aren't beach people, but from the photos it does look like an easy port to just walk around a bit.

Tonight will be leftovers from last night, ham, scalloped potatoes and salad.

Debbie @dfishsending hugs and prayers that you get some resolution,  and the appointment with the surgeon comes soon. You've been dealing with that pain too long.

Happy Birthday @sailingdutchy's Martha and @Cruzin Terri's Jim!  @Cruzin TerriI hope you feel better soon.

Jacqui @kazuwhat a great video, thank you for sharing it with us.

@superomagreat photo of your DH and his sisters!  How wonderful you could all get together.

We did gardening too, it was beautiful outside.  Got 1/2 dozen strawberry plants repotted.  

I think everybody's Easter leftovers consist of the same thing 🙂

• Like 17

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Kind of a mixed bag here.   Blood tests were contradictory and so not able to make a diagnosis.  We'll rerun them in a year.  That is a long time to wait, in my opinion.  But, I can't order the tests.  

However, he is still referring me to a surgeon for a couple of reasons.  The mass has grown from 2.7 cm to 3cm by 4 cm since April.  The mass is not homogeneous.  The pain is increasing.   I also have gall stones, but they are asymptomatic.  So, we'll see what the surgeon says.

🙏🙏🙏

• Like 11

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

My favorite surviving BHB has arrived in Port Everglades:

zd0418.JPG.7b6aa0ee2617bee5fe0950d3177dd545.JPG

Roy

Had a fantastic time on her about 15 years ago, crossing my fingers they don't unload from the fleet anymore small ships. 

• Like 11

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! I do hope you all had a wonderful and memorable weekend. We had a tasty ham, sweet potatoes, veggies and Sue made small individual lemon merengue pies. Great meal. Then we got blasted with rain and weather warnings. Fortunately nothing happened here but it sure sounds like some areas could have damage.

By now you know it’s laundry day here but with ten days to go before our trip theirs a lot of things on the checklist that need my attention.

Thanks for Daily, recipes, wine reports, care and celebration list and the laughs! 

Have a great day and week everyone!

10 days?!  I'd be losing it.  We have just over a month and I'm having enough trouble with that. 

• Like 11

@Cruising-alongThere is no beach at Amber Cove, beaches are definitely an excursion.  So you are in luck.  

@rafinmd The day we were in Amber Cove, the bus tour that went to the fort was stolen while everyone was out and exploring.  They came back out and the bus driver was talking to the police, the bus had been taken.  The police found it, apparently the person who took it reconsider being seen while stealing a tour bus. left the bus in drive and jumped out.  Bus was fine after it ran into a tree.

Well I'm off to do something strange-take a nap.  Late work shift tonight.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

@smitty34877, @puppycanducruise, @StLouisCruisers, @bennybear, @Cruising-along, and @JazzyV, thank you for your words of support.  More hurry up and wait.  I told the Dr. this morning that 6 months was a long time to go when the pain keeps you from sleeping.  It woke me up at 5:00 this morning and I couldn't get comfortable so I just got up.  

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@dfish-dumb question...but is the pain where the mass is?

the reason that i am asking, is that i have pain on my left side, above the hip and on the side, which is the side where my tumor is on the adrenal gland.  so just asking.  my doc never asks me about pain.

i cant help but think in my case that the original doctor who misdiagnosed it, is running the show of the office, and keeping the other docs from asking me the right questions.  I know, i need to get a new doc.

I hope they can find you a good resolution to your pain.

Yes, the pain is where the mass is.  It is the right flank (I have a right side adrenal tumor) and reaches a little around to the back.  It is definitely not the hip.   

Most of these don't cause pain but it sounds like yours and mine do.  Don't wait for them to ask about pain.  Mention it over and over and over again.  You have to be a broken record.  They'll tell you that these masses don't cause pain.  I said correct, most of the time, but they can.  They had to agree that they could.  This doctor said he couldn't say the tumor was the cause of the pain and I followed with, "But you can't rule it out either."  He agreed.  When I told him about the horrific pain in my flank after they injected the contrast dye he said to be sure to emphasize that with the surgeon.  Apparently it means something, but nothing I know about.  

You have to be your advocate.   Don't back down!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2