so loyal to royal

47 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I have never heard of a genre called "dentist music".

Maybe you should go "On and On".

Because your argument is not remotely convincing to keep anyone from trying Celebrity...

Yes, proper Genre is Classic Elevator Music. Think there is even a Category at the Grammy's

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Some friends of ours are trying to convince my wife to cancel one of our upcoming cruises and sail with them next December on Princess... I'm standing my ground so far but the forces of darkness have consumed my wife's mind and I fear it might be the end for us.  

I'm watching the movie Zombieland over and over again preparing for what's coming.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I think most people will come on message boards and write about negative experiences, but not positive ones. That’s why I never base my cruises on another person’s opinion. For you, the cruise was not good, for others on that same cruise, it was probably great. I have had a couple of Celebrity cruises cancelled, but excited for the Edge B2B next year. Rome-Dubai-Singapore. I am not loyal to any cruise line. I see a good itinerary and a good price, and I book it.

It has been a few years since we have been on Celebrity.  Our last cruise on Celebrity was 2012 on Solstice.  I didn't realize it had been 10 years until I typed it out.  Of course, many things can change in 10 years (and I know I lot of things have changed) but our experience on Celebrity was great. It was, for the most part, a cut above Royal in many areas.  The first time on Celebrity in 2010 was really great.  Even from year to year and sailing to sailing, the experience can be different.  I will report on good and/or bad on the boards.   Though, for the most part, even the "bad" on the cruise is usually better than every day life so "bad" is relative.  LOL 
I am definitely looking at Celebrity again for a future cruise. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Some friends of ours are trying to convince my wife to cancel one of our upcoming cruises and sail with them next December on Princess... I'm standing my ground so far but the forces of darkness have consumed my wife's mind and I fear it might be the end for us.  

I'm watching the movie Zombieland over and over again preparing for what's coming.

I've done princess 3 times. It felt very staid. ..let's put it this way it was easy to find a game of bridge. Older crowd and I enjoyed it enough I would do it again. Food was fine. 

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've done princess 3 times. It felt very staid. ..let's put it this way it was easy to find a game of bridge. Older crowd and I enjoyed it enough I would do it again. Food was fine. 

I just booked a 32 night Buenos Aires to LA for Mar2024. I got credit for my past Sitmar cruises, but have only been on 2 Princess cruises, and it’s been years. For that length cruise, I will be bringing things to keep me busy, since I don’t play bridge 😂. After 2 failed Around the Horn attempts, I hope 3rd times a charm.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I just booked a 32 night Buenos Aires to LA for Mar2024. I got credit for my past Sitmar cruises, but have only been on 2 Princess cruises, and it’s been years. For that length cruise, I will be bringing things to keep me busy, since I don’t play bridge 😂. After 2 failed Around the Horn attempts, I hope 3rd times a charm.

good ports are worth it. I wouldnt care which line. I bring books to read, lol. Never bored if I have a book. Enjoy the new ports. 

• Like 2

I've been on Celebrity 9 times (Horizon, Horizon, Galaxy, Infinity, Mercury, Mercury, Summit, Millennium, Constellation).  Cruises were over a 10 year span (2002 to 2012).  Enjoyed them all.

I've been on Princess 1 time (Star Princess - 14 day eastbound transatlantic May 2005).  It was one of my favorite cruises.

I've also been on several bargain basement cruises (Regal Empress, Premier SeaBreeze, Premier Rembrandt).  All enjoyable cruises.

My current tally - I've been on 42 (23 RCCL, 2 Carnival, 9 Celebrity, 1 Regal, 2 Premier, 2 NCL, 1 Holland America, 1 Princess, 1 Azamara).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with you completely.  After 5 cruises(55 days) on Celebrity, I said, no more.  Celebrity does a good job when everything is going along smoothly.  However, when there is a problem, they close their eyes and hope it will go away.  After seeing a lady break her leg because of their negligence and making us stand in the pouring rain for 3 hours, I had enough.  Those were only 2 of the issues we encountered on our Celebrity cruises.  I can list at least a dozen more. but I won't because those who like Celebrity will refuse to believe me. 

I prefer Celebrity for food, service, and relaxation. I prefer Royal for fun and activities.

It seems to me that much of what OP's dislikes has to do with variances from ship to ship. The crew on a particular ship at the time has a whole lot to do with the cruise experience. There are good and bad experiences to be had on any cruise line.

• Like 4

I have been on Millennium and Apex over the last several months and had a great time on both cruises. I have also been on 6 RCI cruises since August and also enjoyed all of those cruises. I like Celebrity and RCI for different reasons and will continue to cruise on both lines. The one cruise line mentioned in this thread I would not cruise on again is Carnival. I used to frequently cruise on Carnival but now I enjoy RCI and Celebrity significantly more than Carnival. 

• Thanks 1

We have cruised many times on both Royal & Celebrity and love them both. Full disclosure, I have never met a cruise I didn’t love. IMHO Celebrity has better food with some non stuffy elegant features and superior Cafe Al Bacio & Gelateria & Ocean View Cafe. Some Royal Ships have more dining options than Celebrity (except for Edge Class which offers several main dining options that are all very good!). We love Central Park & the diving & ice skating shows on Royal so we choose between the two for itinerary, date & and best deal. 

Edited by Grambler
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, matj2000 said:

I have never heard of a genre called "dentist music".

Maybe you should go "On and On".

Because your argument is not remotely convincing to keep anyone from trying Celebrity...

It's in the same genre as elevator music.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have been on Millennium and Apex over the last several months and had a great time on both cruises. I have also been on 6 RCI cruises since August and also enjoyed all of those cruises. I like Celebrity and RCI for different reasons and will continue to cruise on both lines. The one cruise line mentioned in this thread I would not cruise on again is Carnival. I used to frequently cruise on Carnival but now I enjoy RCI and Celebrity significantly more than Carnival. 

I agree.  I used to cruise Carnival a while back but they have gotten so trashy.  Sorry, not where I want to spend my $$$.

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

We did a two week cruise from NZ to Australia, a decade plus ago, on Princess.  it was fine, but the walking track had a 3 deck climb and descent as we did our laps in the very rough Tasmin Sea.  

The layout on that ship was stupid, the 4 restaurants with their different themes, but same menu was stupid. 

They didn’t have a FlowRider.  Other than that we had a lovely holiday.  The high point was a private dinner on our aft cabin deck for our Anniversary.  The steak was a bit over cooked, but the desserts and service were well worth the $100 bucks or so I paid.  

I would do Princess again, if I could no longer ride the FlowRider….😆

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Different strokes, to each his/her own, etc...

I've never been on any other cruise line and have no desire to. I enjoy knowing the ins and outs of how things at RC work and this suits my personality. Perhaps if I cruised more than once a year I'd be more inclined to try someone else but I'm happy being 100% loyal given my current situation and mindset.

We are the same way. We cruise once a year so stick with RCI because we have always had great experiences.

We have had friends try to convince us to give Carnival a try but we are of the mentality if RCI is not broke don’t fix it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I got credit for my past Sitmar cruises, but have only been on 2 Princess cruises, and it’s been years. 

I was on Sitmar in 1986 as a 9-yr-old. We got the Captain's Circle mailings for a few years after they were bought by Princess, but it's literally been decades. I have absolutely no idea what my loyalty number might be, or even how to look it up.

23 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I've been on Celebrity 9 times (Horizon, Horizon, Galaxy, Infinity, Mercury, Mercury, Summit, Millennium, Constellation).  Cruises were over a 10 year span (2002 to 2012).  Enjoyed them all.

I've been on Princess 1 time (Star Princess - 14 day eastbound transatlantic May 2005).  It was one of my favorite cruises.

I've also been on several bargain basement cruises (Regal Empress, Premier SeaBreeze, Premier Rembrandt).  All enjoyable cruises.

My current tally - I've been on 42 (23 RCCL, 2 Carnival, 9 Celebrity, 1 Regal, 2 Premier, 2 NCL, 1 Holland America, 1 Princess, 1 Azamara).

A long time ago we had 2 very nice cruises on Sea Breeze.

• Like 1

Since 1989, we have one Costa (Caribbean), one RCI (Navigator, transatlantic), 3 HAL (2 transatlantic, 1 Caribbean) see my signature below).  Loved all of them. Next October (23) back to RCI Anthem for another transatlantic. Choice was Rotterdam (Amsterdam to Ft. Lauderdale) or Anthem (Southampton to NYC). Chose the latter because of price. 3 Star loyalist on HAL. Price makes a difference. 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 1:26 PM, floridalady said:

but instead it was 2 people who didnt know how to sing doing dentist music type songs

As a musician, you had me laughing at that! I've often wondered how these cruise lines gain some of the most horrific, untalented musicians....I bet they were singing along to a canned band (from an iPad)...that's not talent at all, sorry you experienced that!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeh10641 said:

Next October (23) back to RCI Anthem for another transatlantic. Choice was Rotterdam (Amsterdam to Ft. Lauderdale) or Anthem (Southampton to NYC). Chose the latter because of price. 3 Star loyalist on HAL. Price makes a difference. 

I did the transatlantic [maiden voyage] on Quantum (Nov. 2014 - Southampton to Cape Liberty non-stop, except for a med evac at Ponta Delgada, Azores).  And the following year on Anthem (Oct. 2015 - Southampton to Cape Liberty non-stop).

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 8:31 PM, johnjen said:

As a musician, you had me laughing at that! I've often wondered how these cruise lines gain some of the most horrific, untalented musicians....I bet they were singing along to a canned band (from an iPad)...that's not talent at all, sorry you experienced that!

Thank you for understanding.On a cruise especially on the pool deck you dont wanna hear that and especially when they have no talent.They sure did empty the pool deck so it wasnt just me.

• Haha 1