Gala Night is now Dressy

Mary229

Oh Now This made me laugh out loud 😹  I suspect there were people were questioned "What Was Gala Night" And they just said OK we give, it's when you Dress up. Personal I think they need to go back to the term Formal night. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Oh Now This made me laugh out loud 😹  I suspect there were people were questioned "What Was Gala Night" And they just said OK we give, it's when you Dress up. Personal I think they need to go back to the term Formal night. 

I prefer "Formal" or "Dressy" night over "Gala" any day. I think "Gala" did not really represent what the majority of folks dress to.

• Like 3

I prefer "Dressy" over formal (some people would think formal means tuxes and formal long gowns are required), and I'm sure many people asked them "what does Gala mean???"  I think "dressy" is more appropriate and easier for all to understand. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Let's just hope they don't  rename Casual night "Undressy".😉

No, the opposite of Dressy is "Pantsy." "Skirty" is in between.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

9 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I think they need to go back to the term Formal night. 

It would be equally confusing -- do you remember junior-high and high-school "formals"?

I have an Emily Post etiquette book from the early 1920s. She makes it painfully clear that black tie (tuxedo) is informal and that formal means white tie and tails.

• Haha 2

I was on  Viking cruise last week.   They don't have formal nights or gala nights - Every day is "elegant casual" - But when you read their definition of elegant casual you will see it's pretty much the same as the HAL gala night dress code....So on Viking - every night is a gala night....(note - the world cafe is their lido market)

"Viking Ocean Dress Code:  There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a fan of dressing up generally, but do like the idea of one or 2 nights in a week being a "step up"  of what people are wearing on average.

Regardless of what they call it, in reality it is  "Wear the best clothes you brought" night .. but just not a catchy title.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

This is pretty funny.  I have visions of people sitting around a conference table at Holland America discussing and debating this change.  With all the pressing issues ahead, this must be one of the priorities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Rejected terms from the big dress code meeting:

• Cotillion
  • Sunday Go-To-Meeting Best
  • Homecoming
  • School Photo
  • Fancy!
  • Posh
  • Elegant Evening
  • Pinnacle™ Dinnercle
  • Keepin' it Classy
  • Swanky Nights
  • Ostentatious
  • Lookin' Rich & Feelin' Itchy
  • Flowery Finery Feasting
  • Like 1
  • Haha 18

13 minutes ago, quack2 said:

Will someone please explain the difference between pants and trousers. 

Pants are what you do, trying to get into your trousers after a two week cruise 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 16

Does it really matter what HAL calls it?

People will wear what they want to so what is the point?

Besides, formal night or whatever the cruise line chooses to call it is hardly a special event any more.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1