What in the world?

melk

Is a corporation like Carnival or a company like Princess Cruises doing putting out a product like "Medallion Class" which they can't support or that has so many issues that make it frustrating to use.

We cruisers have enough frustrations in life. Spare us one more. 

Support/fix it or drop it.

• Like 6

WHAT ! when did this happen .

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

45 minutes ago, melk said:

Is a corporation like Carnival or a company like Princess Cruises doing putting out a product like "Medallion Class" which they can't support or that has so many issues that make it frustrating to use.

We cruisers have enough frustrations in life. Spare us one more. 

Support/fix it or drop it.

I'm sorry you've had/are having problems with Medallion Class. I've seen so many people posting here with the same complaint. What I'd like is a reliable count on what percentage of people just can't get the thing to work or have major problems. I've had next to no problems at all, and I frankly don't know how typical this is. I do agree with you that Princess should get this working for everybody, but at least they did put back in the website tools to mostly do the same things. I haven't used that myself so I don't know if it's a complete solution or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I believe they changed the medallion platform at some point.   Because it worked great before the pandemic, no problems using it in 2019 and 2020 before the shutdown.     Now in 2022 it's a smaller medallion and comes in different packaging and the app is very finicky.   The internet in general is terrible and it was also fine pre pandemic.    So just guessing they changed something on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

There are already 123 pages on the current Medallion thread.

Why on earth do we need another one?

I agree, however maybe a new thread will cover the current situation which I think has improved. Many early problems were because of bugs in the App and Data conversion. I think both of these have improved. We sailed April 2 - 9 and there were still problems but not as severe as they were initially.

I also agree that MedallionClass has been a disgrace.

5 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I agree, however maybe a new thread will cover the current situation which I think has improved. Many early problems were because of bugs in the App and Data conversion. I think both of these have improved. We sailed April 2 - 9 and there were still problems but not as severe as they were initially.

I also agree that MedallionClass has been a disgrace.

We had no problem at all in October 21, and all is excellent for May 21st. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We had no problem at all in October 21, and all is excellent for May 21st. 

We just booked a new cruise, and all personal info is in already. Have not tried DMW yet.

What I find most intriguing is how many different ways the app can break; on the Majestic, my patter would do the infinite loading circle and messaging system say I wasn't connected, though I could still receive messages via push notification, while one member of my party couldn't get Dine My Way to work at all, unless she logged out and logged back in, whereupon DMW would work once... whereupon she'd have to log out and back in to make another change.

9 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Save yourself the frustration and don't use it, I don't. There is a place on the Princess site to do everything online without the app, use it.

Please elaborate!  We’ll be using the Medallion app for the first time in August and even my TA said to wait to download it.  Too many glitches now.  I’ve been procrastinating even THINKING about it.  The older I get, the less I want to fool around with glitchy tech.  So, what other way is there?  I can’t put in our passport information without the Medallion app. 

The biggest problem I had with it, is it drastically complicated the TV system in the cabin.   My 90 year old DH could easily use the old TV remote system to watch movies on ships.  When we went on the Ruby in January, even I found the new TV remote very difficult to use.  It was like I was on an old dos computer system, where I had to back out of where I was to search or find another item.   My 90 year old does not understand computers at all so he needed help using it.   Why does upgrades on technology make everything more complicated?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Linsifer said:

Please elaborate!  We’ll be using the Medallion app for the first time in August and even my TA said to wait to download it.  Too many glitches now.  I’ve been procrastinating even THINKING about it.  The older I get, the less I want to fool around with glitchy tech.  So, what other way is there?  I can’t put in our passport information without the Medallion app. 

Access the Cruise Personalizer.

Select your cruise (only if you have more than 1 booked)

Click the "Check In" tab

Just below and to the right of the Google Play button click on "Try our web version"

You will have to supply your log in credentials again

You should see a web version of almost exactly what you see in the app.

17 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Access the Cruise Personalizer.

Select your cruise (only if you have more than 1 booked)

Click the "Check In" tab

Just below and to the right of the Google Play button click on "Try our web version"

You will have to supply your log in credentials again

You should see a web version of almost exactly what you see in the app.

For about one day the web version had Dine My Way and then that feature was removed.

Count us as very unhappy with the medallion  AP.  The wife unit, who normally is totally mellow, has said several times our next cruise will be on a rebuilt military landing barge, IF it does not have medallion. 

The first day I was struggling to make entries just the right page popped up.  Please give us an evaluation of our AP.  Put down not very user friendly.

Since then we have not been able to make reservations at the Crown Grill for us and our Daughter and her husband who is also coming along with us.  Takes the information, then asks for a credit card and then goes blank.  😵

Bob

First time with the medallion and app was on the CB in Aug 2018, our 1st cruise in several years. It was all very new to us and we were just getting adjusted to the “new” technology and excited to be cruising. It didn’t have all the features then but was fairly easy to use. We’ve had two cruises over the last 2 months and find the app and medallion quite beneficial and convenient. I am one to say it’s been great. Moving into a new technology needs to start somewhere and this is a good start. There will be glitches with a new platform but often times it’s user or device issues IMHO.

• Thanks 1

Besides a few restarts, it worked as expected for me and members of my party on Discovery.  

Just need to close/relaunch it a few times when it got buggy.  Just like all other IT related things, turning off then on again does wonders.

7 minutes ago, akeasley said:

Other than opening your door, is there anything else you have to use the medallion for? Everything else can be done by phone or going up to a bar and ordering your own drink?

The Medallion itself has to be with/on you for any of that to work.  The Medallion App?  Not so much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akeasley said:

Other than opening your door, is there anything else you have to use the medallion for? Everything else can be done by phone or going up to a bar and ordering your own drink?

Really useful for tracking down your other half if you want to meet up after doing seperate activities. 

• Like 3