Q & A for those cruising Princess June 16, 19, 23 & 26 out of Brisbane

1 minute ago, Kinkacruiser said:

My question is about the internet cafe. It's been a freebie for Elites until now, so I was gobshacked at the $27 per day charge in the cafe. I also understand you have to purchase the package for the  entire cruise. The half price 'special' for Elites brings a 14 day cruise down to $189 .

Hence my query...if we take along a laptop, do we still have to pay this?

This would be the first cruise where we may need to take a laptop, so where/when is the best signal reception? Cabin?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Yes Elite's now have to pay for internet. With regard to best spot, it varies from ship to ship, depending on where the transmitter / booster is located. If you go with the "plus" package, internat is an inclusion along with alcohol.

5 minutes ago, Bizziecruzer said:

Yes Elite's now have to pay for internet. With regard to best spot, it varies from ship to ship, depending on where the transmitter / booster is located. If you go with the "plus" package, internat is an inclusion along with alcohol.

Too many Elites now, thus they canned the freeby. What next ? Laundry? Mini Bar?  Last Princess cruises I was on, Sapphire Prince in mid 2018, Baltic/Scandinavia, so many Elites, inc us, we had to go get tender tickets, no going down to the tender area and flashing ye olde Black card, lol.  I can imagine on the worldie from Sydney, hundreds of Elites, same problem re priority tendering and laundry delays.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Too many Elites now, thus they canned the freeby. What next ? Laundry? Mini Bar?  Last Princess cruises I was on, Sapphire Prince in mid 2018, Baltic/Scandinavia, so many Elites, inc us, we had to go get tender tickets, no going down to the tender area and flashing ye olde Black card, lol.  I can imagine on the worldie from Sydney, hundreds of Elites, same problem re priority tendering and laundry delays.

On many of our recent (pre 2020😁) Princess cruises, we had to get a tender ticket, but these weren't in the same number series used for the other passengers or we waited in different area. When a tender became available, those organising disembarkation, took some people from each group. That was fair.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kinkacruiser said:

My question is about the internet cafe. It's been a freebie for Elites until now, so I was gobshacked at the $27 per day charge in the cafe. I also understand you have to purchase the package for the  entire cruise. The half price 'special' for Elites brings a 14 day cruise down to $189 .

This would be the first cruise where we may need to take a laptop, so where/when is the best signal reception? Cabin?

I will def check this out. I cant find anywhere where it mentions costs in Internet cafe. We will be elite after we complete our 4 B2B (reason for doing them) though we always appreciated the 75 mins free as platinum and will miss that. But I am not thinking of buying any internet for these cruises as every few days we are back in brisbane port where we can link into our home internet via our devices, to quick check anything we need to. For a longer cruise it would be different so I want to know out options too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinkacruiser said:

They have wifi access points in the public areas and every dozen or so cabins down the passenger corridors. You can get a signal in your cabin, but the strength can vary depending on how close you are to the nearest access point. With your steel cabin door shut, the signal can be hit & miss, but propping it open with a shoe will usually do the trick.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

On many of our recent (pre 2020😁) Princess cruises, we had to get a tender ticket, but these weren't in the same number series used for the other passengers or we waited in different area. When a tender became available, those organising disembarkation, took some people from each group. That was fair.

Especially for the ship purchased tours. They get top priority to match their tour times.

1 hour ago, sj_cavy said:

Does anyone know if Princess do behind the scenes tours? If so where do you book them?

I believe they do and you have to go and buy ok as soon as you get on board. I’ll try and find out when we board on 16 June

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sj_cavy said:

Does anyone know if Princess do behind the scenes tours? If so where do you book them?

Up until the pandemic they did. I can't be sure either way if they have continued with it after resumption. For Princess, it was an expensive package ($150pp), but it came with lots of extras such as photos in each of the main locations, robes, and more. It was always something we wanted to do once, as it was everywhere - bridge, engine room, galley, laundry, forward mooring deck, print shop etc. We did it on Diamond Princess quite a few years back.

It was called Ultimate Ship Tour, and was best booked by heading straight to guest services. There used to be a fact sheet on their site, which is no longer there. Looks like a question for the first cruise.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Up until the pandemic they did. I can't be sure either way if they have continued with it after resumption. For Princess, it was an expensive package ($150pp), but it came with lots of extras such as photos in each of the main locations, robes, and more. It was always something we wanted to do once, as it was everywhere - bridge, engine room, galley, laundry, forward mooring deck, print shop etc. We did it on Diamond Princess quite a few years back.

It was called Ultimate Ship Tour, and was best booked by heading straight to guest services. There used to be a fact sheet on their site, which is no longer there. Looks like a question for the first cruise.

On it 🥰

• Like 2

I think I saw a comment somewhere saying they weren't doing them at present.

Edit - I found it under the Princess Health Protocols:

"Larger group events including singing groups, The Voice of the Ocean, behind-the-scenes tours and the Captain’s Champagne Waterfall will not be available during these cruises."

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I say engine room, I meant control room. Also add backstage, medical facility, storage pantries, a glass of bubbly and some tasty snacks in the galley.

I get there may be an issue with crew/passenger interaction and crew only areas at present. I just hope they bring it back as soon as it is practical to do so.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

When I say engine room, I meant control room. Also add backstage, medical facility, storage pantries, a glass of bubbly and some tasty snacks in the galley.

I get there may be an issue with crew/passenger interaction and crew only areas at present. I just hope they bring it back as soon as it is practical to do so.

Sounds like a great experience 👏

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think I saw a comment somewhere saying they weren't doing them at present.

Edit - I found it under the Princess Health Protocols:

"Larger group events including singing groups, The Voice of the Ocean, behind-the-scenes tours and the Captain’s Champagne Waterfall will not be available during these cruises."

Larger events would fit the galley tours that follow cooking demos. Not sure what is large about the Ultimate Ship tour though - unless they changed it, they had a cap of 12 passengers per tour.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Larger events would fit the galley tours that follow cooking demos. Not sure what is large about the Ultimate Ship tour though - unless they changed it, they had a cap of 12 passengers per tour.

For that one it's probably because those 12 passengers go all over the ship so potentially are a risk to crew members. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

For that one it's probably because those 12 passengers go all over the ship so potentially are a risk to crew members. 

Makes sense. With so many short cruises on resumption, they also didn't do them on those cruises.

One thing we also thought was special for these was the involvement of senior crew & officers.

The Captain toured us around the bridge, the CD for backstage, maître d and head chef in the galley, the bosun for the mooring area, Chief Engineer in the control room, environmental officer in the water and waste treatment area, hotel GM for laundry, pantry, print room.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Sounds like a great experience 👏

It is, done it a couple of times on Princess and once on P&O UK. On the P&O UK one, the tour finished up with champers and canapes in the Captains lounge, the drinks went for two hours, lol, the Captain of Aurora liked a drink, lol.

If you can get on one, do it for the experience. As soon as you board, go to Guest Services/Pursers.

• Like 2

@Cbtours 

As you know from our Roll Call, DW and I will be joining you on the Coral Princess on Sunday 26th June. 
My Aunt is travelling with us and will celebrate her birthday while onboard.

I'd like to order an arrangement of fresh flowers for her stateroom. I can’t see flowers listed on the website or in the dreaded Medallion App. According to the Princess CC forum, you can order flowers from Guest Services once onboard. Could you please confirm if this is the case on the Coral Princess sailing out of Brisbane. 
Thanks. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

@Cbtours 

As you know from our Roll Call, DW and I will be joining you on the Coral Princess on Sunday 26th June. 

I'd like to order an arrangement of fresh flowers for her stateroom. I can’t see flowers listed on the website or in the dreaded Medallion App. According to the Princess CC forum, you can order flowers from Guest Services once onboard. Could you please confirm if this is the case on the Coral Princess sailing out of Brisbane. 
Thanks. 

Maybe this is a question for Irene to check out. Her first cruise is a week or so before the 26th June one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

@Cbtours 

Thanks. 

Sure no problem. Added it to my list 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cbtours said:

Yep

Don't judge me, but could you please check if food, ie cookies, fruit, bread roll, can be taken off the ship at ports of call since it is a domestic cruise? Brekkie and dinner are more than enough food for us but we have a late flight home on disembarkation day and I wondered if some snacks could taken off for our long wait at the airport. Many, many thanks 😊 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Don't judge me, but could you please check if food, ie cookies, fruit, bread roll, can be taken off the ship at ports of call since it is a domestic cruise? Brekkie and dinner are more than enough food for us but we have a late flight home on disembarkation day and I wondered if some snacks could taken off for our long wait at the airport. Many, many thanks 😊 

No. No food can be taken ashore in Australian ports. Quarantine officials will  hang, draw and quarter you. 😁 It is irrelevant that it is a domestic cruise. I have been on many domestic cruises and it is always stressed that no food can be taken ashore.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1