The Daily for Saturday 05/28/2022

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily @richwmn.

Good days. A salute to Amnesty International and the work it does. I am a jazz fan (not wild stuff), as evidenced by my CC name. Yes to hamburgers, which I think I'll have for dinner tonight, bunless.

Interesting quote. Is that like "fake it until you make it" ?

I like the meal, pass on the drink and wine. 

I haven't been to Japan. Looking forward to photos.

The day started off rainy, but it's supposed to clear and get warm.

@rafinmd Thanks for our Care and Celebration lists.

@Cruzin Terri Good to hear you are feeling better.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. I hope your back feels better soon.

@mamaofami That all sounds strange. I hope the company you let take control of your computer was legit, but definitely change passwords. Hopefully they didn't "leave" something that can see what you do.

@marshhawk Interesting radio jazz show! Sorry about the cat; can they get dementia?

@kochleffel 😁 Cute meme.

@Sharon in AZ Safe travels and have a great cruise!

@Overhead Fred Wow, glad you made it back to the cottage from the lake before the storm hit, and that there was no damage to the house. Having a generator was a good thing too.

@St Pete Cruiser Thanks for the Barcelona pictures. I haven't been there; my cruise that originated there in 2020 was cancelled. I hope to get there one day.

@kazu Thinking of you often.

Prayers for the Care List and a toast for those Celebrating.

Stay safe and wear your mask if needed.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday to all,

If I happen to be one of those who has been missed, I appreciate being missed!  I have not been boycotting this group by any stretch of the imagination.  

We have been traveling, and busy, and occasionally lazy.  In late March / early April, we enjoyed two weeks on the Koningsdam, B2B along the west coast.  Thrilled to be back on a ship, and to visit wonderful places for the first time.  We had a few weeks off to re-group, and have now just returned from a land trip.  We spent 3 days on the Ontario side of Niagara Falls (unbelievable!!), then collected DS and DDIL for two days in Cooperstown, continuing to a week on the Maine coast.  It was a perfect trip.  Retirement is a beautiful thing, and we are enthusiastically planning another land trip in August, east coast cruise in October, and the Panama Canal in April.  We are so fortunate to be able to do this.

I was saddened to see the ruffled feathers appear in the last few days.  Typing makes it a little too easy to snap at each other in ways we definitely would not face to face.  I hope we’re able to get over that!  

@kazuyou are in my heart, and so many others’.  I know the dark place may reach for you, and I hope you know you will be welcomed here with open arms anytime - whether posting happiness with flowers and memes, or the agony of grief.

It’s good to reappear, I’ll try to throw in my 2 cents worth occasionally, and do my best not to offend!  😉

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha Sister! My Joy❤️

Miss you too! Those were the good Ole days!

I remember us west Coast,East Coast, AND OUR MIDDLE SISTER! LOL. 3 Musketeers!!

Your move from Idaho, to Georgetown ! I can go on! Love to you and Allen! Think of you especially when we walk to Hula bar and Grill.

Stay healthy and enjoy life! We are well! Life is good . ❤️ Happy Memorial Weekend to all our DAILYITES 

Denise😊

Aloha Kaiku'ana! 

Wishing you and David a great stay at your Maui home. Maybe we will be meeting soon at the Hula Grill. We will be at the Westin Nanea from July 4th til the 30th. My email is abohemiangirl gm..

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Some good news here.  It's day 11 for DH and he tested covid negative today finally.  AND it is also DDIL's due date.  We are to go stay with their three-year-old when she goes into labor.  That negative test came just in time!  👍

Awesome!

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Amnesty International does great work and amnesty

Roy

I see your ship ADV OTS is off coast of Bar Harbor.  I hope you have a nice day in spite of 54 degree weather and rain.  Bar Harbor is one of my favorite stops as well as Halifax.

I will get to do a 9 day on ADV in Sept to NE and Canada.  Hoping the ArriCan goes away by then. ha ha

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

To summarize my understanding of yesterday:

Someone said something that almost everyone took personally, although it was not meant that way. An intense sibling battle ensued. Things were said, hair was pulled, feelings were hurt. It was suggested we be sent to our rooms and not allowed to play together any more. This was a much worse option than the fight, so we all went to bed and came back this morning better behaved and happy to play together.

I guess we HAVE become a real family.

BTW - your entire post was excellent, and I agree with every word.

you should be a writer. I liked they way your comments flowed and the comparison to families at home being sent to their room.

I do not think the daily will end any time soon.  Too many lovely photos to post and ports and food to talk about.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I waited yesterday on “wig-out” day for someone to ‘fess up to wearing them.  I did during chemo for breast cancer 10 years ago.  The exorbitantly expensive human hair one I bought always looked like something the cat brought in.  The cheap synthetic ones were cute and comfortable.  

One of the ladies in our church is a cancer survivor and she acquired a few really nice wigs during her treatment days. Her DH is chided about being with a different woman every time she wears one of the wigs, as each of them come in different colors and lengths and styles. He just smiles and says he likes the woman he is with that day. 😉 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday!  I’ve had a busy week getting ready for our trip, lots of last minute things to do with more to do today so we can fly tomorrow to Barcelona. It was so much easier the last time we went on a Med cruise. We are 90% packed but I need to rearrange our carryons. I felt like I was packing for three trips— the Barcelona part, the cruise part, and our 6 days in Venice. 

Oosterdam here we come!  Have a great day everyone!

Your cruise and stay sounds amazing Sharon.

Barcelona airport is only around 25 minutes to the cruise port or the city centre.

We wish you both a smooth flight,a fantastic cruise and a wonderful stay in the lovely city of Venice.

Graham.

• Like 14

Yes, there was quite a storm  in Ontario last week.  Our 125 foot fence blew over at ground level. We've been trying to get quotes for the insurance company for a week.  

@Live4cruisesI would love to know where you went and what you did in Niagara Falls, Ontario.  When I didn't live near here, I came down and did ALL  the touristy stuff.  Now that I live in wine country, I tend to avoid the touristy stuff.  Mostly because I now have to deal with the traffic involved on the weekends.

• Like 21

39 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Some good news here.  It's day 11 for DH and he tested covid negative today finally.  AND it is also DDIL's due date.  We are to go stay with their three-year-old when she goes into labor.  That negative test came just in time!  👍

This is fantastic news on both fronts.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

@richwmn. Rich, I read your message about the Daily. I can never thank you enough for morphing the Fleet report into this wonderful gathering place. But I also know how guilty I felt when I was up in New England after my cousin passed, and I was not posting the wine info. I consider it an obligation, now. I still enjoy doing it, but the nuance is different. If you eliminate all info but the fleet reports next year, I would not mind. 

If I am reading this group correctly, they would miss the wine of the day, but I think you would also find others willing to rotate in the 'obligation' so it wouldn't be a burden (I think @JAM37also mentioned the possibility of using a rotation). Please don't feel guilty when life gets in the way. Like we are always reminded when flying; put the oxygen mask on yourself before assisting others.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday!  I’ve had a busy week getting ready for our trip, lots of last minute things to do with more to do today so we can fly tomorrow to Barcelona. It was so much easier the last time we went on a Med cruise. We are 90% packed but I need to rearrange our carryons. I felt like I was packing for three trips— the Barcelona part, the cruise part, and our 6 days in Venice. 

Oosterdam here we come!  Have a great day everyone!

Have a wonderful time.  I hope the weather is great and that you stay safe and healthy.

Terri

• Like 16

51 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good news indeed!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

@Live4cruisesI would love to know where you went and what you did in Niagara Falls, Ontario.  When I didn't live near here, I came down and did ALL  the touristy stuff.  Now that I live in wine country, I tend to avoid the touristy stuff.  Mostly because I now have to deal with the traffic involved on the weekends.

Thanks for asking!!  🙂 
We had been to Cooperstown before, but no further north in NY, so our first glimpse of the Falls.  And therefore, we relished much of the “tourist stuff”.  The smartest thing we did, which contributed mightily to the entire two week trip, was our mid-May time frame.  There were no frustrating crowds anywhere.  I can’t take any credit for the fabulous weather we enjoyed.  
We were at the Falls Sunday - Wednesday, and stayed at the Marriott Fallsview.  While we weren’t crazy about the front-of-the-house experience, our room experience could not have been better; we’d go back in a heartbeat.  On Monday we had an all-day tour with Over the Falls, visiting the US and Canada sides.  The group was small, only 15 in a van that holds 30, a good friendly group, and a knowledgeable and (very) lively guide.  Would recommend.  On Tuesday, we visited other Falls attractions.

Our favorite things through the visit:  Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds, Journey Behind the Falls, and just standing and gawking.  A time or two, I commented that I felt like I was in a car wash without a car!

Fantastic time!

• Like 25

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Ah.. the good ole days when we talked on the Daily like sisters. Denise, Ann, Sandi, Jacqui, Gerry, Sharon, and our buddy Roy.

@Seasick Sailor as I don't want to misunderstand your post quoted above, for clarity, I need to ask:

Does your post mean that it is your preference that the contents of The Daily return to being the domain of a small group of people -- specifically, the people you enumerated above?

I mean no offense by my question. I am much, much later to the party than those that were here at the beginning and I need to understand if the feeling is that late-comers like me have crashed The Daily party.

-Melisa 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Dear Dailyites,

Thank you all who contribute and share.  This is my go to place everyday, even if I don't get through all the pages!  I learn about travel ideas, find new recipes to try (surprise a skeptical Hubby to try new things!), all sorts of trivia and interesting information from others about where they live.  I appreciate the sharing of others lives happy, good and bad times, it lets me know I am not the "only" one.  Since I joined this site in 2020 it has allowed me to "travel" even while we stayed home!  I feel like I have met some wonderful people that I would love to meet in person and have a cup of coffee and start visiting like old friends. Lets keep on sharing and caring, who know we may just meet in person somewhere down the road or sea!

Denise

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@Seasick Sailor as I don't want to misunderstand your post quoted above, for clarity, I need to ask:

Does your post mean that it is your preference that the contents of The Daily return to being the domain of a small group of people -- specifically, the people you enumerated above?

I mean no offense by my question. I am much, much later to the party than those that were here at the beginning and I need to understand if the feeling is that late-comers like me have crashed The Daily party.

-Melisa 

Melissa, We asked Rich (2 years ago?) if it were possible to add a few items to the Fleet Report for discussion. He came up with "The Daily" and it took off from there.

As Denise posted, our early on posters of the Daily became close and yes started as a small group.

The Daily grew, more folks started posting about Daily events and became a bigger happy family.

There are always those who have differing opinions. Some, like myself, sometimes get hurt feelings and feel like it's a good time to step away for a bit and come back. It happens. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The recipes look interesting today.  @dfish  Debbie, I wonder if it could be "fried" in the air fryer and then finished on the stove top with the sauce.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

I wondered the same thing.  It is certainly worth a try!  

@dfish  Debbie, I hope your back feels better soon.

I put my Doesn't Smell Like Walter cream on and it is feeling much better.  The pool and hot tub helped as well.  Now, it is just a muscle below my left shoulder blade that is irritating me.  It is always something, isn't it?

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, have a safe flight tomorrow and a wonderful trip.   🛳️ BON VOYAGE 🥂

@Sharon in AZ Have a wonderful trip!   Can't wait to hear all about it.

Now, I need to check the tracking on three packages that UPS has managed to misplace in the last two weeks.  The fourth package did turn up finally, but after we had received the replacement.  They all seemed to drop off UPS tracking.  It's very frustrating.

Lenda

Fed Ex lost a package of mine once.  The online tracking had it in Olathe, Kansas for three weeks.  When I called Fed Ex they said they wouldn't look for it because it hadn't been scanned for over a week.   They said I would have to work it out with the sender.  They lost the package and got to walk away with an Oh well.   Fortunately, the package arrived two days later. 

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Wonderful news!  My neighbors were supposed to come home from London last Wednesday but the husband came down with Covid so they are delayed.  

58 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

Thanks for asking!!  🙂 
We had been to Cooperstown before, but no further north in NY, so our first glimpse of the Falls.  And therefore, we relished much of the “tourist stuff”.  The smartest thing we did, which contributed mightily to the entire two week trip, was our mid-May time frame.  There were no frustrating crowds anywhere.  I can’t take any credit for the fabulous weather we enjoyed.  
We were at the Falls Sunday - Wednesday, and stayed at the Marriott Fallsview.  While we weren’t crazy about the front-of-the-house experience, our room experience could not have been better; we’d go back in a heartbeat.  On Monday we had an all-day tour with Over the Falls, visiting the US and Canada sides.  The group was small, only 15 in a van that holds 30, a good friendly group, and a knowledgeable and (very) lively guide.  Would recommend.  On Tuesday, we visited other Falls attractions.

Our favorite things through the visit:  Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds, Journey Behind the Falls, and just standing and gawking.  A time or two, I commented that I felt like I was in a car wash without a car!

Fantastic time!

That brings back wonderful memories from childhood.  When we went to visit Grandma and traveled from Michigan to New York state we always cut across Canada as it was hundreds of miles shorter.  Niagara Falls was a favorite of ours.  I remember one time traveling with my grandfather.  We left on a Friday and back then we observed the no meat on Friday rule.   We got to Niagara Falls about midnight so Grandpa and I had foot long hot dogs as we viewed the falls.  My sister slept through it. 

53 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa 

Melisa, the more the merrier.  Please don't feel like a party crasher.  Most of us were at one time and we are happy to have you with us.

• Like 23

Yes, @Live4cruises, retirement is a wonderful thing! Also, it’s wonderful to be able to schedule the 2nd  Covid-19 booster while traveling. Pfizer 1 & 2 and booster #1 were taken  care of in California in 2021, this month, while on the road traveling in the mountains, desert and finally to Whidbey Island, WA, we booked appointments @safeway,  Bullhead City, AZ for our 2nd booster. Completed 5/20/2022, all is good. 
I guess that I missed the nasty words and don’t plan to look back for what started the to-do. The Daily is a value to me, thank you to all who find value and continue to share. 

• Like 23

Good afternoon from a windy, overcast Western Slope Colorado!  I am supposed to go yo an outdoor concert with family this afternoon, but wondering if that is going to happen!  Funny how our lives are so influenced by weather!  

Many thanks to all who create and continue with this safe "port in the storm."  I have felt so connected to so many through this wonderful site with its many wonderful posters.  Special thanks to @richwmn, @rafinmd, @dfish, @cat shepard, an @summer slopefor opening our eyes to a greater outside world (especially when we were locked up).

I started a new role in my Red Cross volunteer life.  I was trained this past week to be a volunteer at our local VA hospital and CLC.  It holds a special place in my heart, as that is where my DH spent the last 10 months of his life.  Between disasters (which is my primary focus) I look forward to spending time at the VA with some very special people.  

I have been working my way through banking H- -L this week.  My credit union merged with another one, and as a result, I have to notify all who direct deposit or get their bills paid automatically.  When I started this obstacle course,  I wasn't even sure how to contact some places.  Looks like most things are taken care of at this point, and I just have to wait to receive my new checks to send a voided one to a couple of places!  YAY ME!!!!!

It is so nice to see that several folks are on cruises, or soon to embark.  I will enjoy seeing photos of all latest adventures.  Makes me realize that there are so many more beautiful places to visit.  

Have a great day and rest of the long weekend.  I have to attend a "Celebration of Life" tomorrow afternoon, and then on Monday morning I will be attending the annual Memorial Day service at the Veterans Cemetery.

• Like 22