$100 Non Refundable a Deal Breaker For Me

15 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

You don't forfeit the entire NRD if you book something else

Currently true that you only forfeit the $100/pp change fee, but if the NRD becomes a real non-refundable deposit instead of what it currently is (a PED - partially exchangeable deposit). I’m not sure I’d buy in to a use it or lose it business model. I will continue to book while on board.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bmsm6 said:

We always book through a TA and make sure it is a refundable deposit. It usually isn't much more if any (sometimes it is less if she has a group rate).

The cruise price I find is less with a group rate  and with a refundable deposit it's the best way to go.  Booking solo I pay more anyway so any savings is a bonus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

If you think this is a rip-off, there's a thread that states that effective with any June 1, 2022 bookings and you subsequently cancel, you forfeit the entire NRD.

If this is true, the only future booking(s) that I plan on making is while on board as my only risk is the deposit of $100.

They are simply returning the policies pre-covid.    I guess we all got spoiled by the CWC and FCCs.      

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Can't see paying $92 to insure $100

$92 to insure $200 ... still not a good investment.

Edit:  Maybe the $92/room was for solo, not double?

13 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Is the $100 change fee per person or per cabin?    

Per person.

Non-refundable deposit: Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date (FCC not applicable to select Asia markets). 100USD/100CAD/80EUR per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

$92 to insure $200 ... still not a good investment.

Per person.

Non-refundable deposit: Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date (FCC not applicable to select Asia markets). 100USD/100CAD/80EUR per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date.

Funny, I transferred 2 FCCs, one from my granddaughter and the other from my son.  However, can only be transferred and applied to a booking(s).

Also, working on 3 others to be transferred to me as I'm able to sail under the H&S protocols.

23 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

They are simply returning the policies pre-covid.    I guess we all got spoiled by the CWC and FCCs.      

No they are not. Pre-Covid, if I cancelled before final payment, I only lost $100pp, the rest of the deposit was returned as an FCC usable within one year of the original sail date.  Just cancelled a November 2022 cruise which is beyond the CWC date and only lost $100pp. The remaining deposit was returned as an FCC which I immediately applied to an existing booking.

The “new” policy is more punitive.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

4 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I just looked to book a cruise for this fall. Got so far as to pick a cabin. When I saw they keep $100 PP as an admin fee I didn't finish the booking.  If I haven't found someplace else to go I might look to book with RCL after final payments date but won't book in advance as long as this fee is in place. 

So how often do you cancel cruises after booking them? I am going in the fall as well and have already booked flights and hotel...so if I was to cancel I would lose more than just $100. Isn't an issue as far as I am concerned...I have never cancelled a cruise.

We have moved deposits a number of times and paid the $200 ($100 pp).  Just seems like a fair charge.  Otherwise, everyone would be booking a lot of cruises they may or may not sail on and cancel right before final payment.  This can create a problem for RC.  

Since we always plan to cruise again, moving it to another sailing has not been an issue

Plus, the policy is good for most cruisers, as cabins are not filled with people that really are not going to cruise - driving prices up and selections down.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

They are not.  If you cancelled a cruise that had a $500 deposit you lost $200 and got the rest at a FCC.  Starting tomorrow if you cancel a cruise you lose the entire $500

When I book a cruise, I have no thoughts of cancelling, so I do the NRD. If something happens, and I have to, then I'm willing to lose the $100.00 pp. The only reason they started this is because people would book cruises, and cancel just before final payment, and the cruise line is potentially stuck with an unsold cabin.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Only to the extent that you are changing and not cancelling.

2 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Biker, you sly fox, do you know something that you want to share.

RCI might be desperate for money, but don't think they are ready to switch to those rules yet. I can see them doing away with FCCs, like you have to move the money somewhere (new or existing sailing), but don't think you just lose it if you cancel that sailing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Thanks. 
I’ve never seen that particular page before. Is that from a self booking or a TA site?  
This is the page I get. 
image.thumb.png.66b98b40ce1cdeb0366cb77c5caf7133.png

The refundable deposit option is not available for guarantee (includes any type of guarantee room type) and grand suite or above staterooms so you won't see that option on this page.

Nonrefundable Deposit Bookings (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a 100USD/CAD per person service fee ("FCC"). FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12 months from issue date. 100USD/CAD per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date. Deposits made toward Guarantees and Grand Suites and higher categories are non-refundable and are subject to NRD Booking Terms.

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

You do realize that the closer you get to the actual sail date, the higher the price may be, and the fewer the number and locations of the cabin type you want.

The opposite might be true as well. Right now I have 2 cruises booked on Princess and wanted to change up things a little. I wouldn't consider anything below a balcony category anyway.  Variety and all that spice of life cliche.  I'm happy not to cruise at the last minute if the price is higher or there is no cabin that suits me. I am retired and can do last minute travel as easily as long planned in advance. 

Everyone has a different set of values and spends as they see fit. With so many options right now I don't have to cruise with any particular cruise line if I don't like their policy. 

As to question of how many cruises I've had to cancel, it's very few and far in between but at a certain age (such as retirement) things are more unpredictable.  I never take insurance because I have Medjet to get me home and my health insurance covers me anywhere in the world. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

17 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The opposite might be true as well.

Rarely, if ever. While you might be lucky enough to find that one nugget, the reality is that historically prices only go in one direction, and it isn't down. As for cabin selection, the best locations go (or are held by TAs) very quickly. With more than 100 cruises to date, and 23 reserved between this July and April 2024, I can count on one hand the number where the price has dropped since we booked.

What you are more likely to find is a price that has been going up consistently since it was first released and then comes down a few bucks after final payment date. But if you compare it to what it would have cost had you booked it early, you are paying substantially more for that price "reduction".

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

The refundable deposit option is not available for guarantee (includes any type of guarantee room type) and grand suite or above staterooms so you won't see that option on this page.

Nonrefundable Deposit Bookings (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a 100USD/CAD per person service fee ("FCC"). FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12 months from issue date. 100USD/CAD per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date. Deposits made toward Guarantees and Grand Suites and higher categories are non-refundable and are subject to NRD Booking Terms.

Thanks. I was wondering if that was possibly the explanation.
The last cruise I booked was a GTY Panama and the following one I checked was also a GTY. 

1 hour ago, squadron said:

The cruise price I find is less with a group rate  and with a refundable deposit it's the best way to go.  Booking solo I pay more anyway so any savings is a bonus.

What are the logistics and how do you go about getting a group rate? Is this something only offered by TA's or can you get this rate booking direct?

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

They are not.  If you cancelled a cruise that had a $500 deposit you lost $200 and got the rest at a FCC.  Starting tomorrow if you cancel a cruise you lose the entire $500

Thinking back I don't think I ever outright cancelled a cruise pre-covid.    I would move the funds to a new cruise and pay the $100 fee out of the $500 deposit

So can someone again explain the new policy?  Do you lose $100 pp or the whole deposit for a non suite?  Will you still only lose $200 if you just move it to another sailing  and date?  I’m thinking of moving one and would like to know what my options are if I wait. 

I’m okay with $200 total.  I’m not okay with $500 or $900 for a longer cruise.  If I can move it to another sailing that’s okay too.  

It’s rare for us but things do to come up.   I think if you can move it, there shouldn’t be any money lost as Royal still gets the revenue but I know they stopped that a long time ago when people would book suites way in advance and then cancel a lot.