$100 Non Refundable a Deal Breaker For Me

I just looked to book a cruise for this fall. Got so far as to pick a cabin. When I saw they keep $100 PP as an admin fee I didn't finish the booking.  If I haven't found someplace else to go I might look to book with RCL after final payments date but won't book in advance as long as this fee is in place. 

1 minute ago, cruzsnooze said:

I just looked to book a cruise for this fall. Got so far as to pick a cabin. When I saw they keep $100 PP as an admin fee I didn't finish the booking.  If I haven't found someplace else to go I might look to book with RCL after final payments date but won't book in advance as long as this fee is in place. 

There is a way to choose a refundable deposit without the $100 but the cruise will cost a bit more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

This is not new.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, bmsm6 said:

We always book through a TA and make sure it is a refundable deposit. It usually isn't much more if any (sometimes it is less if she has a group rate).

this is also what I do. Group rates arent any more expensive and deposit is refundable.

• Like 1

The deposit is refundable less that $100 admin fee.  Why pay a higher price for a fully refundable price, it's essentially the same thing. I usually book through a big box retailer for a shop card or OBC. I will wait until after final payment dates because that's what I choose to do instead of paying for this admin fee. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The deposit is refundable less that $100 admin fee.  Why pay a higher price for a fully refundable price, it's essentially the same thing. I usually book through a big box retailer for a shop card or OBC. I will wait until after final payment dates because that's what I choose to do instead of paying for this admin fee. 

Not sure you understand the fees. Its not an admin fee, they are just warning you that you would not receive $100 of your payment back should you cancel prior to final payment. The only reason you dont see it if you book after the final payment window is because you would lose more if you cancel after final payment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Maybe someone can post a screenshot. I haven’t found it. 

Review your trip options

Dining & options

Traditional Dining

Traditional Dining lets you enjoy reserved seating at a set time each day. Select your preferred time.

5:00 PM  7:45 PM 

My Time Dining

Enjoy a flexible dining schedule.

Pre-paid gratuities

Gratuities acknowledge the 24/7 service commitment of your personal stateroom attendants, culinary and service staff. Guests can conveniently pre-pay gratuities at the time of booking or assign gratuities once onboard through their SeaPass account.

$203.00 USD/Room

Refundable Deposit

If you cancel prior to the final payment date, your full deposit will be refunded.

$92.00 USD/Room

Purchase Vacation Protection

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saoa0318 said:

Not sure you understand the fees. Its not an admin fee, they are just warning you that you would not receive $100 of your payment back should you cancel prior to final payment. The only reason you dont see it if you book after the final payment window is because you would lose more if you cancel after final payment.

If cancelled before final payment you loose $100 - call it anything you want I call it a rip off. Some people don't mind this policy but I do. If they gave it as a future cruise credit I would find it acceptable.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Review your trip options

Dining & options

Traditional Dining

Traditional Dining lets you enjoy reserved seating at a set time each day. Select your preferred time.

My Time Dining

Pre-paid gratuities

Gratuities acknowledge the 24/7 service commitment of your personal stateroom attendants, culinary and service staff. Guests can conveniently pre-pay gratuities at the time of booking or assign gratuities once onboard through their SeaPass account.

$203.00 USD/Room

Refundable Deposit

If you cancel prior to the final payment date, your full deposit will be refunded.

$92.00 USD/Room

Thanks. 
I’ve never seen that particular page before. Is that from a self booking or a TA site?  
This is the page I get. 
image.thumb.png.66b98b40ce1cdeb0366cb77c5caf7133.png

1 minute ago, HicksRA said:

Thanks. 
I’ve never seen that particular page before. Is that from a self booking or a TA site?  
This is the page I get. 
image.thumb.png.66b98b40ce1cdeb0366cb77c5caf7133.png

It's from Royal's website.  It's the page after you enter your names  Just like it says it's where you pick your dining option

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

If cancelled before final payment you loose $100 - call it anything you want I call it a rip off. Some people don't mind this policy but I do. If they gave it as a future cruise credit I would find it acceptable.

You do realize that the closer you get to the actual sail date, the higher the price may be, and the fewer the number and locations of the cabin type you want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, orville99 said:

You do realize that the closer you get to the actual sail date, the higher the price may be, and the fewer the number and locations of the cabin type you want.

Exactly. My $1350 balcony was up to $2500 when the final payment date rolled around. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

If you think this is a rip-off, there's a thread that states that effective with any June 1, 2022 bookings and you subsequently cancel, you forfeit the entire NRD.

If this is true, the only future booking(s) that I plan on making is while on board as my only risk is the deposit of $100.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nelblu said:

the only future booking(s) that I plan on making is while on board as my only risk is the deposit of $100.

One of the reasons why we only book while on board.

26 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

Exactly. My $1350 balcony was up to $2500 when the final payment date rolled around. 

Probably should file this thread under the “penny wise and pound foolish” category.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nelblu said:

If you think this is a rip-off, there's a thread that states that effective with any June 1, 2022 bookings and you subsequently cancel, you forfeit the entire NRD.

If this is true, the only future booking(s) that I plan on making is while on board as my only risk is the deposit of $100.

as suggested above go thru a ta who can give you a group rate with a refundable deposit. Go around the problem instead of insisting on going thru the problem. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Review your trip options

Dining & options

Traditional Dining

My Time Dining

Pre-paid gratuities

$203.00 USD/Room

Refundable Deposit

$92.00 USD/Room

Can't see paying $92 to insure $100

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, nelblu said:

You don't forfeit the entire NRD if you book something else

• Like 1