$100 Non Refundable a Deal Breaker For Me

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

They are not.  If you cancelled a cruise that had a $500 deposit you lost $200 and got the rest at a FCC.  Starting tomorrow if you cancel a cruise you lose the entire $500

You can move it and there is only the $100pp change fee

57 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

So can someone again explain the new policy?  Do you lose $100 pp or the whole deposit for a non suite?  Will you still only lose $200 if you just move it to another sailing  and date?  I’m thinking of moving one and would like to know what my options are if I wait. 

I’m okay with $200 total.  I’m not okay with $500 or $900 for a longer cruise.  If I can move it to another sailing that’s okay too.  

It’s rare for us but things do to come up.   I think if you can move it, there shouldn’t be any money lost as Royal still gets the revenue but I know they stopped that a long time ago when people would book suites way in advance and then cancel a lot.

If you cancel you lose the entire deposit.  If you move it you only pay a $100pp change fee

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, gracia98 said:

If you book a Suite, the deposit is $250 per person. For my family of 4, that’s $1000. Not happy with this change.

But. weren't suite deposits not refundable to begin with.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gracia98 said:

If you book a Suite, the deposit is $250 per person. For my family of 4, that’s $1000. Not happy with this change.

you can move the $1000 funds to another cruise, but will cost you $100 per person, $400 total.

Edited by Jimbo

We've actually never cancelled a cruise, but with the way things are, it is possible.  

A non-refundable deposit is a deal breaker for us.  Yes, we can afford to lose the $100, or whatever it is (probably per person?), but I just won't book under those circumstances.

We almost always use a TA and would only book with them if the deposit is refundable as well.

The only way I'd do it is if the price is much cheaper than the other way, not more expensive!

55 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

not any more

Yes, Can't get a FCC anymore.............but can't you still call up and cancel and pay the $100 per person change fee and put that same deposit money on another cruise. Must do it when you cancel though...........no thinking about what cruise you want to switch to 10 months  from now.

Perhaps this is something that Royal has instituted to better manage inventory - people booking dozens of different cruises then cancelling prior to final payment because the price isn’t as low as they were expecting. People always want to have their cake and be able to eat it too.

From my understanding, this is the way cruise bookings work in the UK - non refundable deposits all the time.

Edited by RD64
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can move it and there is only the $100pp change fee

So if I book on board, 2 people, $100pp deposit and I now want to change ship/date - now I have to pay another deposit as the $100pp now is the forfeit fee.  Is that new deposit still $100pp or do I pay a higher sum?   I ask because I’ve just had to pay $450pp for a deposit for a 14n cruise via my USA TA. 
Thanks 

In the UK we have always had £150pp NRDs but it is £75pp to change ship/date. 

Edited by little britain

3 hours ago, little britain said:

So if I book on board, 2 people, $100pp deposit and I now want to change ship/date - now I have to pay another deposit as the $100pp now is the forfeit fee.  Is that new deposit still $100pp or do I pay a higher sum?   I ask because I’ve just had to pay $450pp for a deposit for a 14n cruise via my USA TA. 
Thanks 

I

Correct.  That has not changed.  

The deposit does not increase you just need to pay the $100pp change fee.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

If cancelled before final payment you loose $100 - call it anything you want I call it a rip off. Some people don't mind this policy but I do. If they gave it as a future cruise credit I would find it acceptable.

I disagree with this comment.  Royal has saved a stateroom for you and if you cancel it will cost $100.00 per person.  It is a lot of work for them to cancel cruises for everyone and they don’t have the man power.  It is their cancellation fee, which I have no problem with paying if I am the one making changes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dcgrumpy said:

Exactly. My $1350 balcony was up to $2500 when the final payment date rolled around. 

And the way RCL plays the "sale" game, and reduces that balcony after final payment date to $2,000, a person who looked at the category just prior to FPD would be suckered into believing they had just scored a $500 discount by waiting until the last minute - but would still be paying $650 more than you did by booking early.

P.T. Barnum was right all along😇🙄

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I just looked to book a cruise for this fall. Got so far as to pick a cabin. When I saw they keep $100 PP as an admin fee I didn't finish the booking.  If I haven't found someplace else to go I might look to book with RCL after final payments date but won't book in advance as long as this fee is in place. 

Color me confused.

You book a cruise with a nonrefundable deposit to get a cheaper price and you are now pissed because it is actually nonrefundable and not 100% refundable?   

Royal has spoiled everyone by saying their nonrefundable fees are actually refundable. Now they are saying they really are nonrefundable as stated.  I get change is hard but it is more in line with other nonrefundble fees.

Do you do the same with airlines, ie; book a nonrefundable saver flight to save money and then pitch a fit when the airline tells you it is what it says it is, nonrefundable?  For a fully refundable flight, they are usually way more $$$. 

What about hotels? Often you can get a much better price is you book nonrefundable.  Do you get mad when the hotel sticks to their policy and tells you "your hotel rate was nonrefundable?"

Welcome to the travel industry where nonrefundable usually means nonrefundable.

nonrefundable

adjective
non·re·fund·able | \ ˌnän-ri-ˈfən-də-bəl  \

Definition of nonrefundable

: not subject to refunding or being refunded

Edited by cured

2 minutes ago, cured said:

Royal has spoiled everyone by saying their nonrefundable fees are actually nonrefundable now. 

They were always NRD - the only diff now is that RCI won't give you time to think about it (one year FCC), instead it wants you to decide right away where to move the money (minus the $100pp penalty).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cured said:

Color me confused.

You book a cruise with a nonrefundable deposit to get a cheaper price and you are now pissed because it is actually nonrefundable and not 100% refundable?   

Royal has spoiled everyone by saying their nonrefundable fees are actually nonrefundable now.  I get change is hard but it is more in line with other nonrefundble fees.

Do you do the same with airlines, ie; book a nonrefundable saver flight to save money and then pitch a fit when the airline tells you it is what it says it is, nonrefundable?  For a fully refundable flight, they are usually way more $$$. 

What about hotels? Often you can get a much better price is you book nonrefundable.  Do you get mad when the hotel sticks to their policy and tells you "your hotel rate was nonrefundable?"

Welcome to the travel industry where nonrefundable usually means nonrefundable.

nonrefundable

adjective
non·re·fund·able | \ ˌnän-ri-ˈfən-də-bəl  \

Definition of nonrefundable

: not subject to refunding or being refunded

IF I booked a cruise (knowingly) with a non-refundable deposit, then I would not complain if it was not refunded; the same with hotels and flights.

But, I don't book cruises that way, unless perhaps it is very close to sailing and I'm sure we will go anyway.  The same goes for hotels, flights, etc.  If booking far out, then I only do refundable.  Closer to the date, I 'may' do nonrefundable

It's a choice for me; we also don't book multiple cruises knowing we will cancel a bunch.  I don't think we have ever had more than two booked at a time--and have never cancelled.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nelblu said:

If you think this is a rip-off, there's a thread that states that effective with any June 1, 2022 bookings and you subsequently cancel, you forfeit the entire NRD.

If this is true, the only future booking(s) that I plan on making is while on board as my only risk is the deposit of $100.

https://cruisefever.net/royal-caribbean-changing-non-refundable-deposits-tomorrow/

19 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

IF I booked a cruise (knowingly) with a non-refundable deposit, then I would not complain if it was not refunded; the same with hotels and flights.

But, I don't book cruises that way, unless perhaps it is very close to sailing and I'm sure we will go anyway.  The same goes for hotels, flights, etc.  If booking far out, then I only do refundable.  Closer to the date, I 'may' do nonrefundable

It's a choice for me; we also don't book multiple cruises knowing we will cancel a bunch.  I don't think we have ever had more than two booked at a time--and have never cancelled.

My thinking is if I booked a cruise, I will never cancel it, BUT I will move it to another one with a $100 change fee.  If the new cruise's itinerary is more attractive, or the pricing is less, or a friend asks me to come along, I will pay the change fee.  I don't make a regular habit of this, but I don't avoid it, either.  Depends on the situation.

Example:  I moved a cruise a month ago to another one to sail with my friend.  Paid the $100 change fee.  Today I got a $99 price reduction applied.  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, orville99 said:

One of the reasons why we only book while on board.

My Problem is I almost always Book the first few minutes Cruise is available for Booking. Gotta get my Favorite Cabin! Like other's do miss days of online 24hr Hold and the Cancel before Final with 100% Deposit refundable but those Days are not coming back. Too many would hold Sailing/Cabins for months, years and cancel at Final. Yes I was also one that sat on some Sailings and if Price didn't drop to my liking by Final I'd Cancel.

Edited by ONECRUISER

22 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

My Problem is I almost always Book the first few minutes Cruise is available for Booking. Gotta get my Favorite Cabin! Like other's do miss days of online 24hr Hold and the Cancel before Final with 100% Deposit refundable but those Days are not coming back. Too many would hold Sailing/Cabins for months, years and cancel at Final. Yes I was also one that sat on some Sailings and if Price didn't drop to my liking by Final I'd Cancel.

It's always been your prerogative to spend your money as you want, and within RCCL's policies.  I never blinked an eye at making changes:  they were getting my business and money anyway.

But, I stopped cancelling cruises decades ago, even when the policies were liberal.  My primary objective was to go on a cruise, so why cancel a cruise and start over?  My former TA taught me this:  just move the deposit to a new cruise.  Now, I'm more cautious, and look for some way to get it back, as mentioned above. 

On 5/31/2022 at 7:29 AM, bmsm6 said:

We always book through a TA and make sure it is a refundable deposit. It usually isn't much more if any (sometimes it is less if she has a group rate).

This doesn't work for a solo cruiser.  I find the refundable deposits are in the hundreds of dollars more, so the NRD and a potential change fee of $100 is best for me.  I always make sure I use a points-generating credit card, too, so I get 200 points for the charge.  It adds to the points bucket, and eventually I will use those points.