$100 Non Refundable a Deal Breaker For Me

Just now, latebuyer said:

Yes this is definitely unfortunate for solo cruisers. I find the solo rooms in particular have high refundable deposits.

Is it just the deposit that is higher, or the total cruise fare when booking NRD vs RD?

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

My Problem is I almost always Book the first few minutes Cruise is available for Booking. Gotta get my Favorite Cabin! Like other's do miss days of online 24hr Hold and the Cancel before Final with 100% Deposit refundable but those Days are not coming back. Too many would hold Sailing/Cabins for months, years and cancel at Final. Yes I was also one that sat on some Sailings and if Price didn't drop to my liking by Final I'd Cancel.

We always book as close to opening day for itineraries as we can so we can get the cabin we want, and get the lowest price available. Since we are on board 6-8 times a year, that usually makes it easy for us to book once we are on board. If on the very rare occasion a price drops prior to FPD, we will call C&A and get the price drop. Out of the 23 cruises we have booked through April 2024, only two have had a price drop (thanks Carol), but every other one has gone up in price.

I miss the old days where you could purchase multiple NCC's while on board for $100 each with no expiration date - but those days are also gone forever.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Is it true if you book on board you only pay a 100.00 deposit, no catch? Where do you do this?

For any category below a full suite (on any cruise less than 9 or 10 nights), the deposit is $100 for each passenger in the cabin when booked on board. Full suites pay the full deposit of $250/per passenger (or is it higher now?), and the deposit on longer cruises is higher across the board.

One trick (yes it is gaming the system) is to book a balcony cabin on board, pay the $100/pp deposit, and then upgrade to a full suite when you get home. RCL doesn't seem to be capable of connecting the dots and back charging the rest of the deposit.

For example:

We upgraded to a CLS for our August 2021 Allure cruise (L&S from August 2020) that started out as a balcony booked with one of the old $100 NCCs. They never charged us the suite deposit, and never even charged us the second $100 deposit.

Edited by orville99

23 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

If cancelled before final payment you loose $100 - call it anything you want I call it a rip off. Some people don't mind this policy but I do. If they gave it as a future cruise credit I would find it acceptable.

I like that idea -- don't refund, but allow the money to be transferred to a future cruise.  It would leave me, as a customer, happy with the company.  I'd tell other people that I was pleased.

Two thoughts on why I don't think they will ever do this:

- I accept that cancelling a cruise "costs" the cruise line something.  Someone must put the information into the computer and manage a refund to you.  On the other hand, I'd think that entire task takes 30 minutes at absolute most -- so unless RCCL pays its clerical staff $200 an hour, they're making money when you choose not to cruise.

- I know that some people reserve multiple cruises, knowing they'll drop one later, wanting to keep their date-options open.  I've seen this discussed on these boards.  I fully understand why RCCL doesn't like this practice, and I suspect they put this measure into place to make people really think about whether they want to make that reservation.  $100 isn't likely to kill anyone who has developed a taste for cruising, but it's enough to make us middle class folks stop and check our dates twice. 

19 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

The fare is a lot higher, the deposit is the same.

The solo fare is higher, unless you can use the DP340 promo code.  The deposit is the same, but the RD is usually a lot more than the NRD. So, if the difference for a RD is more than $100, I go for the NRD and take my chances on paying that extra $100 later.  It's still less than the extra for the RD.

6 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

$100 isn't likely to kill anyone who has developed a taste for cruising, but it's enough to make us middle class folks stop and check our dates twice. 

And, this is exactly why I have a good reason to move a cruise and pay the $100.  Sailing with a friend, the price of the new cruise is lower, I like the itinerary better.  Plus, a potential price drop later on.  Right now I have received a $99 price drop this morning that cancels all but $1 of my latest change fee. 

Edited by pcur

15 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We always book as close to opening day for itineraries as we can so we can get the cabin we want, and get the lowest price available. Since we are on board 6-8 times a year, that usually makes it easy for us to book once we are on board. If on the very rare occasion a price drops prior to FPD, we will call C&A and get the price drop. Out of the 23 cruises we have booked through April 2024, only two have had a price drop (thanks Carol), but every other one has gone up in price.

I miss the old days where you could purchase multiple NCC's while on board for $100 each with no expiration date - but those days are also gone forever.

Been fortunate Score reductions on about 75% my Royal Cruises, got 2 were a week on my Oct2022 Cruises along with another one 2 Months ago on Fall2023, $1300 saved. One Cruise 6yrs ago received 8 different drops. Lot these been receiving were Reg price drops and 1/3 when they offer a Military Discount. Seeing that more often last 3 yrs, not only at Final but even few 6-12 Months out

5 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Lot these been receiving were Reg price drops and 1/3 when they offer a Military Discount.

Must be the luck of the draw. We have received exactly one LEO discount in the past five years.

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

Must be the luck of the draw. We have received exactly one LEO discount in the past five years.

Probably. Reduction's, I won't call then for less then $30 now. Until couple yrs ago had same Royal PVP for 5yrs and I'd just send him quick Email. Wonder at times if it's that do only Longer 10+ nite Cruises, Repo's and during non-peak times of year. Usually Cruise Oct-week before Christmas. On Radiance Class and we'll have 1750-2000 onboard, many SOLO passengers with few Kids(15-50). I'm in mid 50's and I'm in lower 85-90% age group on lot these Cruises. And this all Pre-CV. In past Military Disc was hard to score and was close to Sail Date, lately more often and some far out. 

On 5/31/2022 at 10:22 AM, cruzsnooze said:

I just looked to book a cruise for this fall. Got so far as to pick a cabin. When I saw they keep $100 PP as an admin fee I didn't finish the booking.  If I haven't found someplace else to go I might look to book with RCL after final payments date but won't book in advance as long as this fee is in place. 

I booked.  Still a much lower price with perks and a low down payment- prices continue to rise.  $100 cheap for

"insurance" and to hold the price.

3 hours ago, cured said:

Color me confused.

You book a cruise with a nonrefundable deposit to get a cheaper price and you are now pissed because it is actually nonrefundable and not 100% refundable?   

you misread my statement. If you book any cruise, with or without a refundable deposit if you change or cancel there is a fee of $100 PPeven on a refundable deposit. A family of 4 would loose $400 even before final payment date if they need to change dates or cancel.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Just now, cruzsnooze said:

If you book any cruise, with or without a refundable deposit if you change or cancel there is a fee of $100 even on a refundable deposit.

Why would anyone take a $100pp penalty on a refundable booking when you could just get a full refund and then rebook without penalty?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Why would anyone take a $100pp penalty on a refundable booking when you could just get a full refund and then rebook without penalty?

there is NO full refund, they keep $100 PP

• Haha 1

Just now, Biker19 said:

With a refundable booking, you can get a full refund if you cancel before final payment.

No you can't. Please read the entire thread so you don't book without full knowledge of the policy now in place.

• Haha 1

Today is June 1 and has it been announced/communicated.

Also, received an e-mail today from Royal that FCCs will not have any expiry date.  On a pos, someone mentioned that it only applies to CWC FCCs, but e-mail does not indicate or have further notes or disclaimers.

16 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

you misread my statement. If you book any cruise, with or without a refundable deposit if you change or cancel there is a fee of $100 PPeven on a refundable deposit. A family of 4 would loose $400 even before final payment date if they need to change dates or cancel.

No I think you may have misread the policy..... refundable means refundable, even the $100.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

No you can't. Please read the entire thread so you don't book without full knowledge of the policy now in place.

Today, with the updated policy in place, here's the explanation of the rate on RCI's site:

image.png.3e000178168301d8b68b618d31a6c972.png

Biker, who usually has pretty good reading comprehension skills.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

You only pay the $100 if you book NON refundable  There is no penalty for cancelling a refundable booking before final payment date

• Like 2