High Tea Time

Papadog

I hope you don't stir up a hornet's nest.   Usually when someone ask there is a big debate on what High Tea is and isn't.  

If I recall they have a self service "Tea" at about 3:00 - 3:30.     They have finger sandwiches, scones Jam and Usually Whipped Cream.   Small pastries etc. 

If in a Suite they serve tea in the Retreat and is a bit more upscale

I'm sure it isn't like Cunard that serves a sit down Tea, Sandwiches and Sweets on a trivet.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

I don’t understand why there should be a debate. High tea meant that it was served on a high table, as a supper would be. Low tea was served in the afternoon on a low table and consisted of scones, small tea sandwiches, cookies and other bite-size treats.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We used to love this tea daily in the Oceanview but it was not available on our Eclipse cruise a month ago.  We thought maybe it was because of COVID.  Hopefully they will bring this back when things settle down.

They also used to have a special tea served in the dining room once on a cruise.  

57 minutes ago, Papadog said:

I love High tea time....... Can any one please tell me if Celebrity offers this?

Celebrity offers an Afternoon Tea in the Main Dining Room usually once per sailing for Captains Club members.  I cannot remember if it is restricted to a certain membership level.  

My daughter (photo) who has developed a real liking to Afternoon Tea has made a point of attending it.  In fact, it is usually very well attended.

image.thumb.jpeg.603be4f7d5c197e52d3cf750bd8f1d80.jpeg

Captains Club Afternoon Tea, Reflection, Jan 2019

image.thumb.jpeg.77664dab9f7c5f72c87a7da5e6e1267b.jpeg

• Like 2

On our recent sailing aboard Celebrity Eclipse, May 15th, there were delicious tea snacks served in the buffet from 3pm to 4pm ... little sandwiches, scones, and cookies. Not exactly what it used to be but yummy nonetheless. 

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Oh, goodie.  Are we going to debate as to whether there's a debate?

Let's get to the real tea time debate... jam then clotted cream? Or jam on clotted cream (like a neanderthal.) 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I don’t understand why there should be a debate. High tea meant that it was served on a high table, as a supper would be. Low tea was served in the afternoon on a low table and consisted of scones, small tea sandwiches, cookies and other bite-size treats.

I like my tea sweet and iced and at times with a shot of Titos. 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TeaBag said:

We used to love this tea daily in the Oceanview but it was not available on our Eclipse cruise a month ago.  We thought maybe it was because of COVID.  Hopefully they will bring this back when things settle down.

They also used to have a special tea served in the dining room once on a cruise.  

Sorry to hear they didn't have it on Eclipse.    Since resumption of cruising they have had it on Millennium, Solstice and Silhouette cruises we have been on in the Ocean View.  

I don't recall seeing the special one they use to have in a Specialty.     

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Celebrity offers an Afternoon Tea in the Main Dining Room usually once per sailing for Captains Club members.  I cannot remember if it is restricted to a certain membership level. 

It was for Elite and above before COVID and I attended one in Tuscan.

However, there wasn’t one on the 8 day Staycation last August.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, debkaysmith said:

On our recent sailing aboard Celebrity Eclipse, May 15th, there were delicious tea snacks served in the buffet from 3pm to 4pm ... little sandwiches, scones, and cookies. Not exactly what it used to be but yummy nonetheless. 

So glad to hear they brought it back.

5 hours ago, Miaminice said:

There’s always good tea in Al Bacio!

I believe the question was more about the whole experience: a sit-down tea service where they have little carts going around with scones, maybe clotted cream, small pastries, small sandwiches (eg, cucumber sandwiches), maybe even some live background music.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I believe the question was more about the whole experience: a sit-down tea service where they have little carts going around with scones, maybe clotted cream, small pastries, small sandwiches (eg, cucumber sandwiches), maybe even some live background music.

Ahh... I remember those days back in the day (well maybe years) of Olympic Champagne Tea with Harp Music.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AndyCapn said:

Let's get to the real tea time debate... jam then clotted cream? Or jam on clotted cream (like a neanderthal.) 😁

Thank you.  I didn't realize there is an order to this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I hope you don't stir up a hornet's nest.   Usually when someone ask there is a big debate on what High Tea is and isn't.  

If I recall they have a self service "Tea" at about 3:00 - 3:30.     They have finger sandwiches, scones Jam and Usually Whipped Cream.   Small pastries etc. 

If in a Suite they serve tea in the Retreat and is a bit more upscale

I'm sure it isn't like Cunard that serves a sit down Tea, Sandwiches and Sweets on a trivet.

I've controlled my inner keyboard warrior and fefrained from educating people about the difference 😉🤣

• Like 2