High Tea Time

Papadog

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Thank you.  I didn't realize there is an order to this.

I recently watched a video on the making of clotted cream. At the end, there was the traditional cream tea, presided over by the grande dame who was the head of this family owned enterprise. She let it be known in no uncertain terms that the correct way to eat this was to spread the jam liberally onto the split scone, and THEN to add the clotted cream.

You're welcome.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I believe the question was more about the whole experience: a sit-down tea service where they have little carts going around with scones, maybe clotted cream, small pastries, small sandwiches (eg, cucumber sandwiches), maybe even some live background music.

They still do this on Carnival on the longer cruises. In MDR and carts laden with goodies going around.

Tea in individual china teapots,  cucumber sandwiches, smoked salmon rolls, scones and cream and of course cakes.

2 hours ago, mom says said:

She let it be known in no uncertain terms that the correct way to eat this was to spread the jam liberally onto the split scone, and THEN to add the clotted cream.

That is the way it is done in Cornwall( home of clotted cream).

In Devon( the next county to Cornwall) it’s cream first, then jam.

I find it’s easier to put jam first, then cream as the jam sticks better if put on first.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

I find it’s easier to put jam first, then cream as the jam sticks better if put on first.

I am Cornish but live in Devon we do it jam first in this house!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emmas gran said:

I am Cornish but live in Devon we do it jam first in this house!

Same for us from Dorset, we just have to recognise that Devon lost the plot somewhere along the way 🙂

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Oh, goodie.  Are we going to debate as to whether there's a debate?

Love this being from Northern England which so different from the south.

So Breakfast is easy.

Dinner time is around 12 noon.

Tea time is the evening meal, around 6pm.

Supper is the sneaky snack you shouldnt really have before bed.

Afternoon tea, is a ridiculous concept where people drink that most awful thing, tea, and eat too many cakes, and have sandwiches with the best bit cut off. Not sure where you fit this in, after having all of the above, unless you want to be huge.

High Tea is not something I am familiar with. But it sounds wrong. lol

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, mom says said:

I recently watched a video on the making of clotted cream. At the end, there was the traditional cream tea, presided over by the grande dame who was the head of this family owned enterprise. She let it be known in no uncertain terms that the correct way to eat this was to spread the jam liberally onto the split scone, and THEN to add the clotted cream.

You're welcome.

this. Any other way is ridiculous.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maryann2 said:

They still do this on Carnival on the longer cruises. In MDR and carts laden with goodies going around.

Tea in individual china teapots,  cucumber sandwiches, smoked salmon rolls, scones and cream and of course cakes.

Very nice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

As was lovingly explained to me while I was in Cornwall, you must load enough clotted cream upon the scone so that it just touches the tip of your nose when you take the first bite.  Just how in the world are you supposed to do that if you put the jam on after?

• Haha 2

So if you pick this up in the buffet, is the tea any good?  I'm usually a coffee drinker except in times like this.

And I'm a neanderthal but I'll try to do better next time.

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, maryann2 said:

Thank you for that information - I was not aware Carnival did this.

I've been on an Oceania Riviera transatlantic where the same service (tea in individual pots, carts traversing the area with food, etc.) was offered in Horizons, their forward lounge similar to the Sky Observation Lounge on Celebrity Solstice.

And several TAs on Cunard where afternoon tea is a near-theatrical event as well as providing food and drink, of course.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Thank you.  I didn't realize there is an order to this.

LOL -- it's the age old question.     Do you put Clotted Cream on first and then a dollop of Jam or Jam first and then Clotted Cream.    

I'm a Jam then Clotted cream kinda guy.

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

So if you pick this up in the buffet, is the tea any good?  I'm usually a coffee drinker except in times like this.

And I'm a neanderthal but I'll try to do better next time.

Basically you brew your own tea in a small pot or cup.   They have an assortment of teas.   Teatley and Bigalow Teas have been the usual lately.   They are available 24 hours a day.

49 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

We had afternoon high tea in Murano in 2014. It was really special with a piano player accompanying the event. Loved it - sad that they discontinued it. 

84CDBEA6-FFB7-410C-964A-EC66E52E8AA2.jpeg

Those were the days, my friend……..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL -- it's the age old question.     Do you put Clotted Cream on first and then a dollop of Jam or Jam first and then Clotted Cream.    

I'm a Jam then Clotted cream kinda guy.

I made my own scones this morning before watching the trooping of the colour, then served them with jam and clotted cream (on top) before drinking a toast to Her Majesty with a Queen Mother cocktail (Dubonnet, ice, lemon, gin). Anyone who serves her country for Seventy years deserves her scones to be perfect and to be toasted with an appropriate beverage. God Bless you, Mam.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 15

12 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Love this being from Northern England which so different from the south.

So Breakfast is easy.

Dinner time is around 12 noon.

Tea time is the evening meal, around 6pm.

Supper is the sneaky snack you shouldnt really have before bed.

Afternoon tea, is a ridiculous concept where people drink that most awful thing, tea, and eat too many cakes, and have sandwiches with the best bit cut off. Not sure where you fit this in, after having all of the above, unless you want to be huge.

High Tea is not something I am familiar with. But it sounds wrong. lol

I once read that afternoon tea originated with the landed gentry who  needed to fill their day and came up with the idea of afternoon tea.  Similar to having 5 days to spare, standing around hitting  a leather ball with willow, but that's a whole other debate 🤣 Meanwhile, the proletariat were too busy grafting to keep the landed gentry living in style. They therefore didn't have time for afternoon tea but instead had high tea later in the day, I guess a kind of posh tea/dinner that included cake. Makes sense to me.

11 hours ago, Redking said:

I once read that afternoon tea originated with the landed gentry who  needed to fill their day and came up with the idea of afternoon tea.  Similar to having 5 days to spare, standing around hitting  a leather ball with willow, but that's a whole other debate 🤣 Meanwhile, the proletariat were too busy grafting to keep the landed gentry living in style. They therefore didn't have time for afternoon tea but instead had high tea later in the day, I guess a kind of posh tea/dinner that included cake. Makes sense to me.

This sounds right to me. And as a cricket buff, I absolutely get it.

Although a match currently taking place between two countries we seem to know well, doesnt look like it will last 3 days never mind 5.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Redking said:

I always understood that afternoon tea was something to tide one over until the typically late dining time (but that late dining time did have something to with the number of clothing changes that went on daily).

High tea was much later (6 o'clock or so?) and was more of a meal for the servants who were about spend a few hours or so tending to their employers and their employers' guests for the next few hours or so before they could get another quick bite and then hit the rack.

On 6/2/2022 at 4:01 PM, chemmo said:

I made my own scones this morning before watching the trooping of the colour, then served them with jam and clotted cream (on top) before drinking a toast to Her Majesty with a Queen Mother cocktail (Dubonnet, ice, lemon, gin). Anyone who serves her country for Seventy years deserves her scones to be perfect and to be toasted with an appropriate beverage. God Bless you, Mam.

We also drank a toast to Her Majesty yesterday, albeit with whisky. Whisky is what we had, and we also felt we were in Her Majesty's presence. As much as I enjoy gin and Dubonnet, I understand that no one but Her Majesty drinks it when Her Majesty is present. I can't imagine it's a breach of protocol in the least to do so where we were, but we were drinking whisky. 

Any politics aside, Her Majesty is one of the most amazing persons ever to walk the face of our beloved Earth. 

• Like 3

On 6/1/2022 at 4:14 PM, PTC DAWG said:

I like my tea sweet and iced and at times with a shot of Titos. 🙂

As long as we're saying controversial things about tea, when I do hot tea at home I heat up the water in the microwave.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

As long as we're saying controversial things about tea, when I do hot tea at home I heat up the water in the microwave.

INFIDEL!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Just don’t drink your tea from the teapot spout like Paddington Bear did while having tea with the Queen

I need a bigger handbag next cruise to keep my marmalade sandwich in…

• Like 2
  • Haha 3