On Celebrity Equinox quarantined in my cabin with Covid

Flyonby

We also move away from coughers and sneezers....,We have no way to tell if they are spreading germs or have other issues..but act in our own protective interests.

Even before Covid risks,  we were taught that anyone should take care to cover  coughs and sneezes as a matter of being polite. Especially in the buffet area.

Air on ships  indoors can be dry and sometimes it sounds like a cough fest,  Use of cough drops or sugar free candies can help...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Today you never know about becoming ill.  DW spent an hour inside a car and then sat next to a girlfriend who was coughing and obviously ill.  The girlfriend tested positive minutes after taking my wife home.  DW did not catch covid.

Daughter in law always masks, works from home, grocery shops at 6am when store opens.  Has gotten ill twice.

All the above vaxxed and boosted. 

We will get our second booster in a couple weeks.  On Summit Iceland in August.  We will see.

• Thanks 1

Back to the thread discussion…..without coughing!!

Sounds as if the Big concern so many earlier posters had about cruising and being quarantined has changed with another post stating they were quarantined in their SR, or moved to a SR with a balcony. 

Appreciate the OP posting the info and they sound very positive on a very unhappy situation. Well done @Flyonby. Hope you and all others test negative in time to get off the ship with no issues. And the info really helps us who will be cruising shortly. We are cruising with 8 family members so it’ll be interesting seeing how we do. 

Den

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We have been on many cruises, most over 10 days and I can’t recall 1 where after about day 9 or 10 most folks were not coughing.  We always came home with “cruise cough”.  

As one with sinus issues which results in a lot of coughing in the morning I now get up and try to stifle my cough, in my cabin, in the morning for fear that someone walking down the hall will hear me.  

DH tested positive for Covid 2days after getting off the Apex in April, I tested negative.  He never had a cough, I still cough every morning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

We have been on many cruises, most over 10 days and I can’t recall 1 where after about day 9 or 10 most folks were not coughing.  We always came home with “cruise cough”.  

As one with sinus issues which results in a lot of coughing in the morning I now get up and try to stifle my cough, in my cabin, in the morning for fear that someone walking down the hall will hear me.  

DH tested positive for Covid 2days after getting off the Apex in April, I tested negative.  He never had a cough, I still cough every morning.

Gofigure, but it hasn't stopped you from cruising, nor will I stop.  It is what it is!   I moved to a drier climate thinking it would help my sinus issues; it did for a while, but now I have exactly what you are describing in the morning, along with my DH having a similar issue.  I guess I just need to choose my words very carefully on CC, so that I do not offend anyone, as that is never my intention.

Edited by Lastdance

21 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I remember reading somewhere that normal not sick people cough and sneeze 10-20 times a day, just from dust or dry throat, or even for some of us, bright sunlight. 

Funny you should mention this!  I am a person that has sneezing fits.  Maybe 20 in a row!  I have photic sneeze reflex which is a genetic trait.  Sneeze in strong light or sunlight.  Embarrassing to say the least and now in the COVID age I am viewed as the devil when it happens.😈

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Funny you should mention this!  I am a person that has sneezing fits.  Maybe 20 in a row!  I have photic sneeze reflex which is a genetic trait.  Sneeze in strong light or sunlight.  Embarrassing to say the least and now in the COVID age I am viewed as the devil when it happens.😈

must be what my son in law has . and his is always 9 sneezes in a row!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Me too.... My trigger is reflections of light that just hits right.    The day I took my daughter home from the airport I walked out and both my new born daughter and I sneezed. 

For me I found that if I squeeze the bridge of my nose I can get them to stop quicker.  If I have one come on I try to leave a crowded room or setting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Yeah, I have it too, although it has abated somewhat as I've gotten older. It is genetic, especially with the many sneezes in a row. Some of my sensitivity maybe related to red hair, very fair skin and light eyes as well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Yeah, I have it too, although it has abated somewhat as I've gotten older. It is genetic, especially with the many sneezes in a row. Some of my sensitivity maybe related to red hair, very fair skin and light eyes as well.

Yes, the same. Optician told me that it’s related to blue eyes and fair skin.

• Like 2

Just now, gold1953 said:

lol.. son in law is very dark brown hair and eyes

🤷‍♀️ only quoted what my optician stated. They probably change it according to who’s sitting in their chair 😆

• Haha 5

Learning alot on this thread.. living on LI NY means chronic sinus issues, without cough, Using a nasal saline spray helps alot with breathing, along with  humidifiers. 

Keeping a pitcher of water and open ice bucket in the stateroom also adds a bit of humidity..reduces cruise cough.

Hope those now isolating on board are soon cleared to go out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Learning alot on this thread.. living on LI NY means chronic sinus issues, without cough, Using a nasal saline spray helps alot with breathing, along with  humidifiers. 

Keeping a pitcher of water and open ice bucket in the stateroom also adds a bit of humidity..reduces cruise cough.

Hope those now isolating on board are soon cleared to go out.

A humidifier on LI?  Had to laugh.  DW has seasonal sinus issues in the spring if at home in Arizona.  Otherwise made worse by humidity.  Saline rinse and if bad uses a nebulizer as Asthma kicks in.  Worst is actually when on a cruise going from dry room to humid.  Hmmm.

21 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

If you are in adjacent verandas, will they let you all open the divider between them? 

Thanks for this idea! I asked earlier and they were able to open up the divider for us. It really helps make the space feel less confining. It also helps my mom feel less isolated. It did take away the pleasure my 5yo had from crawling under the wall to visit grandma!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

Today's cocktail treat compliments of the room service team. Thank you Orma ( sorry about the spelling) and the rest of your excellent crew.

We have been allowed to order lunch from the buffet instead of being limited to the room service menu. Complications include us not knowing what is on the buffet and having to order vaguely off what we think there might be, us giving the vague order to someone on the phone who then gives it to someone else, who likely gives it to someone else who then goes to retrieve what they think might be what we are talking about. There have been a few misses, but overall we definitely feel like everyone is bending over backwards to make this quarantine as pleasant as possible for us.

One thing I've noticed though is that the nurses arrive in masks and face shields and take our temp and O2 stats through a crack in the door, and the room service attendants seem surprised when we won't let them into the room. We have asked them to instead leave the tray outside of the door and then we bring it in after they leave. I'm not sure if they know we are quarantined, or if they are just more focused on service than their own safety. We are trying to keep them safe

PXL_20220608_183710802.jpg

• Like 14

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

• Same here. And though I’m not a large person, I don’t have dainty little sneezing fits😂 The funniest episode was when my entire office corridor went silent during one of my sneezing fits. When I had stopped, one of my colleagues called out, “Is everyone OK?” I have rarely laughed so hard🤣
  • Haha 6

I for one think it really is an unhappy cruise situation you find yourselves stuck in!   So sorry this happened and with a 5 year to entertain!  However the plus side is those cocktails look really good!  Glad Celebrity is treating you pretty good and that at least have a balcony with fresh air. Cruising during Covid makes things so iffy!  But you have a terrific attitude towards the whole experience and that goes a long way to keep positive. I really hope you all test negative on the next testing day. Good luck!

• Like 2

Oh forgot to ask the OP.. you said you brought your own medication just in case. Could you share which medication seems to be working the best for all of you against your Covid symptoms?  Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Holly g said:

Oh forgot to ask the OP.. you said you brought your own medication just in case. Could you share which medication seems to be working the best for all of you against your Covid symptoms?  Thanks.

So we had a whole covid contingency bag packed.

Meds for the adults include Musinex, Tylenol, ibuprofen, DayQuil/nightquil, sudafed, ludens throat lozenges, saline nose spray and throat coat tea. I at first thought it was allergies, so I took 2 days of 1/2 Zyrtecs out of the noncovid bag which because my symptoms are so mild actually erased my symptoms. 

Meds for my 5 yo are children's Tylenol, children's ibuprofen, children's musinex for stuffy nose and chest congestion. 

All of our symptoms are mild. The only meds we've used in this room are ibuprofen for headache, my husband used Sudafed for congestion for 2 days and I used the Zyrtec because I thought it was allergies. We have both taken musinex to try and get the germs out faster. I also have been using the nasal spray to try and do the same. My daughter got 2 doses of children's ibuprofen and I give her the children's musinex before bed. My mother has used the nightquil, ibuprofen and musinex and additionally an antacid.

The medical office offered us medicine if needed, but I think it would have been the same as we brought.  I'm not sure they would have had children's formulations or not. 

We have been sooooo lucky to have only had a glancing blow with symptoms. 2 days of low fever (100) and mild head cold. This is a tricky virus and I was almost fooled to think it was just allergies. I have friends who were also vaxed and boosted and had much worse symptoms. So I wouldn't take my experience as gospel 

• Like 2

Another person with allergies, sinus, sneezing, and coughing issues. According to  one of the many allergists I have seen, I am allergic to spring, summer, fall, and winter. Every morning, season, location, weather notwithstanding, I have an allergy attack while waiting  for the morning meds to kick in- Lots of sneezing, coughing, and nose blowing. On a cruise ship, I plan on staying in my cabin until things subside. The other issue I have is that wearing a mask, for longer than about 20-30 minutes, makes my nose run. I have to find an out of the way place (usually a ladies room) to take the mask off and blow my nose. I have had other ladies give me the evil eye because they think I am sick. 

As long as you have a good supply of tissues to cover your coughs or sneezes most passengers won’t mind.   Anytime you sneeze or cough you are spewing your mucus into the air to be unwillingly received by those around you.   Even if you don’t believe you are sick your mucus will contain bacteria and viruses that can make others sick.   Please use tissues!

That's a great list of meds to bring along. I'd add to bring your own thermometer and Oximeter plus lots of soft tissues.  

A couple of weeks ago, I was on a HAL trip to Alaska, had symptoms but not Covid (many, many tests that week were all negative). I was finally diagnosed with pneumonia the day before we disembarked.  My nose was so sore from the rough tissues and paper towels offered by medical staff that  I resorted to putting chapstick on my nose for relief.  Another challenge was cough drops.  In Skagway, I tried to find ANY.  The ones I found and bought officially expired pre-pandemic.  So, be sure to bring those along, too.

Believe it or not, I'm going back to Alaska on the 19th Eclipse sailing (a barnacle reschedule) and I may need to bring a little sign - "cough is from pneumonia, not covid", if it is still present.  

-Molly

5 hours ago, gold1953 said:

lol.. son in law is very dark brown hair and eyes

The sneezing reflex as Tee described is a genetic trait and I don’t know if it is at all affected or related to skin eye color. Probably more accurate for me to say that my fair skin and blue green eyes are very sensitive to bright sunlight, especially coming out from a dark room, and one way I show it is by sneezing.