What do you do with eyeglasses when using water slides onboard?

Hello,  Last cruise on Liberty of the Seas, we skipped the water slides both the one with the raft and the racing ones because of the requirement to remove glasses.  Just could not figure what to do with them.  Can't see to climb stairs and even if crew holds them at the top you still have to go up and get them.

Would sport goggles work?

How do others get to participate that really really need glasses to do anything?  Is there a similar problem with footwear when the decks are really hot?

Thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

You leave your glasses in the same place as all the rest of your stuff at the bottom.

If you are unable to climb the stairs without them

Then you are pretty much out of luck.

You can try Bingo..

• Haha 3

I found there are swimming goggles with optical adjustments. They most likely won't match your regular prescription but should be good enough for a 10 min ride or whatever. 

It's not just/normally about climbing the stairs, but more about the whole experience. You can't see things clearly outside/people looking at you/meeting you and so on.

• Like 1

I had goggles made with my prescription for snorkeling.  (I can't see the big E on the eye chart without glasses)  

It's not fun to do anything when I can't see.  

(not everyone can wear contacts)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

I found there are swimming goggles with optical adjustments. They most likely won't match your regular prescription but should be good enough for a 10 min ride or whatever. 

It's not just/normally about climbing the stairs, but more about the whole experience. You can't see things clearly outside/people looking at you/meeting you and so on.

They sometimes do not allow you to ride the slides with goggles even if they are optical.
I have some Speedo ones that match my prescription they are a life changer when going swimming I just wish that Royal would allow them on the slides. IMHO, contact lenses are not the best option as they tend to come off if there is too much water in the eyes (splash at the end of the slide).

• Like 1

I go blind (-4.5/-5.5 so maybe not as bad as others, but still fairly blind).  I leave my glasses with my towel and sea pass card, and usually a non rider on the deck.  There are normally a fair amount of people doing that at the bottom of the slides that will probably keep an eye out for you.  You may also be able to ask the sports desk to keep on eye on them for you, if it's not terribly busy.

• Like 1

I leave my non-prescription sunglasses with my flip-flops at the bottom of the slide.  It is GREAT not needing glasses after 50 years of wearing them.  Cataract surgery should have been done 10 years earlier when first appeared..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, darthvadrouw said:

They sometimes do not allow you to ride the slides with goggles even if they are optical.
I have some Speedo ones that match my prescription they are a life changer when going swimming I just wish that Royal would allow them on the slides. IMHO, contact lenses are not the best option as they tend to come off if there is too much water in the eyes (splash at the end of the slide).

Yes, no goggles or contact lenses allowed has been issue before that's why checking what people do on the ship.  All we could think of was to have one person take the glasses at the top and walk down to meet the slider at the end.  But decided that would not be very fun and passed.

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

or contact lenses

How would the staff even enforce this?  Is there an ocular examination of every slider to see whether a tell-tale faint blue ring on the sclera is visible?

Edited by baelor
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, baelor said:

How would the staff even enforce this?  Is there an ocular examination of every slider to see whether a tell-tale faint blue ring on the sclera is visible?

It's what I call a White Underwear Rule....can't be enforced. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baelor said:

True, not enforceable.  Just a rule to cover liability etc.

May consider bringing an very old pair of glasses and then securing them to the swimsuit somehow during the slide.

OR

Bingo is not the answer 🙂  But putt putt, ping pong or going to the gym may be.

Thanks for everyone's time.

On Harmony in late February, my partner who wears glasses forgot to take them off, got to the top where they told him to take them off. He told them how he's pretty blind without them, and they just had him stick them in his pocket. I think if you're nice and not being a jerk if you left them on, they've been flexible. I couldn't hold them at the bottom for him, because were doing the "racing" slides, but if it were 1 at a time do that and have someone hold them for you and just guide you up the stairs or go up with you and take them down to meet you at the bottom? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, darthvadrouw said:

IMHO, contact lenses are not the best option as they tend to come off if there is too much water in the eyes (splash at the end of the slide).

I've had contacts for 30+ years.  I've NEVER had an issue with "too much water in the eyes" making my contacts come out.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I've had contacts for 30+ years.  I've NEVER had an issue with "too much water in the eyes" making my contacts come out.  

You beat me to it. Been on many slides- far bigger than those on RC ships - and never had an issue 

• Like 1