Metal water bottles.

chromered7

I had many of these on our last cruise and had no problem at all.  I didn't like the feel of the opening so I jump poured them into my Yeti and was good to go.  Unlike others we had no problems opening them and we are older folks.

I agree with everyone else, these metal bottles are a pain to open.

We had to get our server to open with a towel.

What we did, because we need water through the night and for taking meds, we got big bottles of Evian, much easier !

• Like 1

I've had trouble opening some of the bottles and in fact have even cut my hand a couple of times on the sharp metal edges.  For that reason primarily I really dislike them.  I actually now bring one of those flat rubber jar openers with me which I wrap around the top of the bottles while opening.  I don't particularly like the taste either, but I am not all that picky about that part.  

• Like 1

Have been on Equinox, Millennium, and Reflection with the aluminum water bottles.  I read about funny tasting water and never experienced it until the last night on the Millennium.  Our butler stocked the cabin with water as normal.  Every bottle we opened that night smelled like chemicals/petroleum and was not drinkable.  Besides the rough/sharp edges on the caps, it’s the only issue we had with the water.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is still the case, but back in January there were two types of aluminum water bottles. Proud Source Alkaline water, and Celebrity branded water. The Celebrity branded did taste slightly off, but they kept handing out the Proud Source. 

• Like 1

Any bottle is hard to open if you have issues with your hands, aluminum, glass or plastic.  One cruise I was in the suite while my husband was at the spa and I asked our Butler to open a bottle of Pelegrino for me.  Every time I saw him he had an open bottle for me. I didn't find drinking out of the aluminum bottle any different than drinking out of a soft drink can.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 1

I am posting from the Solstice. The water is bottled by Proud Source, and we find the flavor fine.  If my memory is correct this is the same water which we had on the Eclipse in April.

While neither my husband nor I have had any issues opening the cans my husband did help a woman in a wheel chair yesterday who was having issues opening the can.

• Like 1

The Celebrity-branded water in the silver metal bottles tasted horrible on Apex and Millennium last summer. Heard lots of other folks say the same onboard. From the other comments here however, sounds like may not be an issue anymore.

6 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

I agree with everyone else, these metal bottles are a pain to open.

We had to get our server to open with a towel.

What we did, because we need water through the night and for taking meds, we got big bottles of Evian, much easier !

Someone posted that they cut their thumb opening the can. Not planning on getting a drinks package on my next cruise and as Elite probably collect a few of these.  I didn't even realize I could get them during HH. 

On the EQ last March the crew were more than happy to open the metal bottles. So sometimes I asked them to open  befor taking the bottles back to our cabin. 

I noticed that the crew would  tap the top of the bottle on the counter to release the pressure and then they were easy to open. 

Only issue I experienced were that the bottles may leak if the tops are unknowingly loose or askew. 

9 hours ago, bye-seaya said:

On the EQ last March the crew were more than happy to open the metal bottles. So sometimes I asked them to open  befor taking the bottles back to our cabin. 

I noticed that the crew would  tap the top of the bottle on the counter to release the pressure and then they were easy to open. 

Only issue I experienced were that the bottles may leak if the tops are unknowingly loose or askew. 

Whenever I don't have a drinks package and thats on most cruises, I bring my own David's tea water bottle and tea and make ice tea as I prefer it to the ships brand. 

If you have arthritis in your hands, they are difficult to open.  So bring one of those rubberized grippers from home and that makes it easier.  

I have found the tap water excellent on the ship.